NFL draft talk

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2013 1:36:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
What to talk about?

The Colts, so far (currently through round 5), have not picked any offensive weapons (WR, TE, RB).

I like the Bills picks so far, they are at least addressing their needs, though I love the "Needs Analysis" with the opening line of, "It was difficult to decide which need is the Bills' "biggest," because Buffalo has so many pressing problems."

How are your teams doing?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2013 11:12:45 PM
This was one of the less interesting drafts in some time, and I think that's due to a lack of huge names at QB and other skill positions.

Just take a look at the first 7 picks, all lineman. While a team has to be good upfront (both on offense and defense) it doesn't help sell the draft.

Aside from that there were a couple of other interesting things... E.J. Manuel to the Bills with pick 16. While I think he'll be a solid player eventually, I think that's quite a reach, but kind of expected from a team that hasn't made the payoffs in almost 14 years.

Probably the most notable thing in this draft is the fact that a RB wasn't taken in the first round. That's the first time a running back wasn't taken in round 1 since 1963, when the NFL only had 14 teams. Clearly this is a different league now, more focused on passing and running by committee, but that's still shocking to me.

As for my team, I'd say the Packers had a solid draft. They needed to get better defensively up front, and Datone Jones was the right choice. If he can get regularly into the mix by week 4 and Nick Perry can come back healthy and play well, they should be much improved in that area.

I think every Packers fan was expecting them to take a RB at some point, but not likely in the second round. Ted Thompson keeps with his draft strategy and drafts based on the best player available and he did so by taking Eddie Lacy with the 61 overall pick. Lacy was arguably the best RB in this draft, and if it weren't for some serious health concerns could have gone in the first round. I'd like to have seen Montee Ball (From Wisconsin) fall a few picks down so the Packers could have gotten him, but Lacy is probably the better fit anyway.

The Packers managed to get some depth at OL, got a DB and a couple other players for their defensive front. They also managed to nab a couple of high upside guys at WR late in the draft.

If Jones and Lacy pan out and some of the lower drafted guys add depth for a few years then I'd say it was a very good draft for them. On paper it looks pretty solid, but ya never know until a couple years later.
Debate.org Moderator
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 1:15:47 AM
I had originally hoped to see much more defensive picks for the Pack after watching in horror as Colin Kaepernick utterly humiliated us by putting up like 700 yards of offense in the divisional game, seeming to run circles around a bunch of confused players. Charles Woodson's words after the game, that may have been a bit stark knowing he was leaving town inevitably after (old bastard), haunted me all offseason: "we need to be bigger and faster." That's a very broad stroke to paint, and doesn't show much hope for the existing team.

But the more I look at them, the more I am satisfied. Since Ahman Green left, our running game has been frustrating. You can tell the Packers absolutely do not want to rely on Rodgers despite him being the best in the game, because it obviously makes no sense to make it easy on the opposing defense by being one-dimensional. Alex Green was a total bust, Brandon Saine straight-up sucks, and both Cedrick Benson and James Starks are unhealthy and inconsistent. Dujuan Harris showed some promise last year, coming in at the end of the season after spending most of it as a used-car salesman, but his main strength is simply that he is so small that nobody can tell where he is until the last minute. I still love the guy and can't wait to see him play again, but he'd be a much better back-up than a work-horse. Taking a RB in both the 2nd and 4th rounds gives us a chance to part ways with our lot of unimpressive backs and start fresh, hopefully ending the frustration. Walter Payton on the Bears in the 80s, Barry Sanders on the Lions in the 90s, Adrian Peterson on the Vikings in the 00s... It only makes sense that the Packers will get the next once-in-a-decade RB for the 10s ;) Maybe it's Eddie Lacy :o

As expected, we got a defensive end in the first round, since we were helpless once Worthy and Wilson got hurt last year. That should shore-up our depth on the line and round-out our front-seven nicely, and with Bishop and Perry returning to play beside Clay Matthews and AJ Hawk, I think we will be much more prepared to face-down Kaepernick in week one than we were the last time!

Two 4th-round picks for the O-line will hopefully remedy Rodgers' record-setting sack-totals over the past few years (something like 200 sacks in the past four years or something - highest in the league) and with our two first-round-pick tackles coming back from injury - Sherrod and Bulaga - we ought to have a respectable O-line for the first time in Rodgers' career. It got real scary at the end of the season when they both got hurt!

I don't pay much attention to the 5th-rounders and below, they are mostly used for depth. I'm really sick of hearing the blah blah blah Brady was a 6th rounder speech because that type of thing is really rare.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 4:25:32 AM
The Bears really reached for Kyle Long. I think the rest of their draft went pretty okay though.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 8:01:31 PM
At 4/28/2013 4:25:32 AM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
The Bears really reached for Kyle Long. I think the rest of their draft went pretty okay though.

They finally addressed the o-line... about time!
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 10:13:31 AM
At 4/28/2013 8:01:31 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 4/28/2013 4:25:32 AM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

They finally addressed the o-line... about time!

With a guy who's not ready to start...
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2013 12:04:07 PM
Shockingly, I didn't follow the draft at ALL this year (I've been really busy). I also think a pretty boring draft class may have had something to do with it; the Luck vs. RG3 saga was a lot more interesting last year (and to be honest, I'm still most excited to see them compete this year vs. any NFL n00b).

I'm not familiar with any of the picks. I haven't even looked up who my Giants have drafted. The only team I checked up on was of course my Jets given their fvcking QB "controversy" a.k.a. embarrassment. We picked up the "best" QB in the draft (which isn't saying much in a weak class) in the 2nd round, which you would think is great and all, but there are already concerns regarding his maturity and grandeur.

To be fair I'm not too familiar with his body of work, but regardless he's a n00b with hardly ANY offensive weapons to work with. I'm glad we addressed the QB situation (smh @ Tebow's release AND Sanchez still being the starter), but I still think we are in desperate need of receivers and a decent RB. Tony Bohanon was picked up as a FB in R7, and is apparently a secret weapon of sorts (we'll see-- I haven't seen him play in college either). Our #1 pick of Milliner was okay. He's a great CB, but he's no Revis.
President of DDO