Jump to topic:

NFL MvP

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2009 8:03:42 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
It's a little more than half-way through the season, so I figured we'd make some predictions or at least discuss our opinions on who you think should be the MVP this year. Here are my picks:

Brett Favre
Love him or hate him, this guy's a legend. I think he had about 2 weeks of practice before coming into this season and kicking a-ss. The Vikings are 9-1 and Favre only has 3 interceptions on the entire season thus far. For those of you who've been following his career, that's hella good - he used to average that many per game lol. I just think he's shown a lot of poise and has done great things this season without making too many mistakes.

Peyton Manning
I hate to keep glorifying QBs, but this guy deserves it. He has always been a calm yet dominant leader. He leads the league in completions and he's just a consistent player who continues to win games and doesn't fold under pressure.

Chris Johnson
Damn, it's only his 2nd season and this guy is friggin awesome. I do think that the Titans are gonna make a comeback this season. Right now Johnson leads the league in rushing yards by FAR and just continues to do good things. Now that Young's passing game is back, it opens up opportunities for the running game. I just think Johnson has dominated in this position and has been outstanding compared to his counterparts in the game; I hope he wins :)
President of DDO
sllewuy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2009 6:32:38 PM
MVP: Peyton Manning or Drew Brees at the end of the season whoever has the better record will win it for sure. But if it comes down to it i see a TIE between these two and they both win it.

Chris Johnson because his team has a bad record it does not matter how explosive he is he can rush for 2000 yards right now and even if he did, he still would not be the MVP. Offensive Player of the Year for sure.
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2009 1:42:05 AM
Brees for now. If the Saints win Monday night, even more points for Drew.

Whichever team stays undefeated longer, that QB will get it.

As for Johnson, he is a stud. Though he was upset that Matt Ryan won the ROTY award in 2008, Ryan deserved it. But Johnson is certainly having a better sophomore season than the Atlanta QB.

That said, it'll still go to a QB.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2009 12:26:05 PM
At 11/29/2009 1:42:05 AM, USAPitBull63 wrote:
Brees for now. If the Saints win Monday night, even more points for Drew.

Whichever team stays undefeated longer, that QB will get it.

As for Johnson, he is a stud. Though he was upset that Matt Ryan won the ROTY award in 2008, Ryan deserved it. But Johnson is certainly having a better sophomore season than the Atlanta QB.

That said, it'll still go to a QB.

Yeah, it'll probably be Drew. As far as ROTY, Ryan may have deserved it but Johnson earned it. In other words, Johnson's numbers and performance were better, but Ryan won because of the success he had with a disenchanted franchise, and his ability to come into that situation as a rookie with the poise and control that made them a wild card contender. I was happy he won, but really, if I were Johnson I would have been pissed. It's not Johnson's fault that Ryan got put on a crappy team in a crappy situation. That's some affirmative action type of crap lol. That said, I think MVP may be more about numbers and performance than what the ROTY award encompasses. Let's move on from last year and hope that CJ wins. The undefeated QBs are amazing, but Johnson's performed just as well and I think he deserves some recognition after his least year upset.
President of DDO
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2009 12:40:58 PM
I doubt Brees will win. I have Manning and Favre tied right now. Chris Johnson has no chance, as NFL MVP voting is racist against anybody who is not a quarterback.

Brees has like 16 out of 22 of his TDs in four games, and the Saints have played by far the easiest schedule out of all three contenders. Brees also has one of the best WRs in the league in Colston and a couple other good WRs, not to mention one of the best pass-catching RBs in the league in Reggie Bush. Brees has a 105.8 QB rating.

Favre has single-handedly turned the Vikings around - and has made everyone better in the process. Sure, Favre has Peterson - but he has the least offensive weapons out of the other three. The Vikings averaged 23.7 ppg last year and 30.6 ppg this year. Favre has a 112.1 QB rating.

Peyton Manning is an absolute beast. Manning gets zero help from the running game, the Colts rank 31st in rushing yards. He leads the league in passing yards and the Colts play one of the toughest schedules in the league. I also have to mention that the Colts have Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark, maybe the best in the league at their respective positions. Manning has a 102.7 QB rating.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2009 12:55:08 PM
Agreed... but, if Brees does go undefeated, he's still a viable contender. Peyton won in 2008 and 2009, and he and Favre have both won the MVP award three times. Looking back at 2007 when Tom Brady won, are you seriously denying the fact that he wasn't on the best team in the NFL? Donte Stallworth and Randy Moss weren't huge helps? It's unreasonable to assume that Brees won't win because he's got better teammates. Plus, while they do love their QBs, RBs get love too. Tomlinson won in 2006 with a team that went 14-2.
President of DDO
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2009 2:00:33 PM
I don't know why Eli Manning is not is this discussion.
You guys must not know football.

Manning
record 6-5
qb percentage 89.2%
2,684 yards
18 td's
only 10 int's
only 17 int's.

Come on, he should change his name to Eli "MVP" Manning, learn you some football and than come back.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2009 2:02:36 PM
At 11/29/2009 2:00:33 PM, comoncents wrote:

Manning
record 6-5
qb percentage 89.2%
2,684 yards
18 td's
only 10 int's
only 17 sack's.

Come on, he should change his name to Eli "MVP" Manning, learn you some football and than come back.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2009 2:06:01 PM
At 11/29/2009 12:55:08 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Agreed... but, if Brees does go undefeated, he's still a viable contender.

Yeah, I think he is default MVP if the Saints go undefeated. But let's say the Saints go 15-1, Colts 14-2, and Vikings 14-2 or 13-3; I don't think record matters much.

Looking back at 2007 when Tom Brady won, are you seriously denying the fact that he wasn't on the best team in the NFL? Donte Stallworth and Randy Moss weren't huge helps?

Sure, they were huge helps - but Brady broke numerous records in 2007, which none of the contenders this year are going to come close to doing.

It's unreasonable to assume that Brees won't win because he's got better teammates.

Sure, it's a factor that goes into the voting process though.

Plus, while they do love their QBs, RBs get love too. Tomlinson won in 2006 with a team that went 14-2.

Tomlinson was the undisputed best RB and player by far that year. He scored like 29 TDs and also threw a couple as well. I'm pretty sure that LT broke a few other records too. Chris Johnson is probably the best RB in the league, but a case could be made for AP - where no other RB could touch LT in 2006. Not to mention that Johnson isn't going to breaking many records, except maybe most rushes over 20 yards in a season lol.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2009 2:09:17 PM

Lol.

Manning
record 6-5
qb percentage 89.2%
2,684 yards
18 td's
only 10 int's
only 17 int's.

Ignoring the mediocre 6-5 record, his stats make him the 12th best QB in the league.
http://espn.go.com...

Right..
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2009 2:12:49 PM
I know, i meant it to be funny.
But after putting his numbers to paper, not the worse.
If he had a better INT stat it might not have been looked at as a joke.

Crazy, but still, will never happen.
sllewuy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2009 1:17:35 AM
Brees has like 16 out of 22 of his TDs in four games, and the Saints have played by far the easiest schedule out of all three contenders. Brees also has one of the best WRs in the league in Colston and a couple other good WRs, not to mention one of the best pass-catching RBs in the league in Reggie Bush. Brees has a 105.8 QB rating.

Favre has single-handedly turned the Vikings around - and has made everyone better in the process. Sure, Favre has Peterson - but he has the least offensive weapons out of the other three. The Vikings averaged 23.7 ppg last year and 30.6 ppg this year. Favre has a 112.1 QB rating.

Peyton Manning is an absolute beast. Manning gets zero help from the running game, the Colts rank 31st in rushing yards. He leads the league in passing yards and the Colts play one of the toughest schedules in the league. I also have to mention that the Colts have Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark, maybe the best in the league at their respective positions. Manning has a 102.7 QB rating.

Well MVP voters will try and say that Brees is responsible for those receivers being as good as they are.

Favre will not win the award because he is not the best player on that team, Adrian Peterson has a lot to do with that team's success as much as Favre does. Adrian Peterson is have a good season also, he went over 1000 yards and having a career high in Touchdowns.

I honestly think Peyton Manning should be the MVP again this year because hes on track to being undefeated. The only reason I see him not being selected is if the MVP voters decide that they do not want to keep awarding the same guy the award every year. But the event of a TIE between him and Brees is a strong possibility
crackofdawn_Jr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2009 1:42:05 PM
At 11/27/2009 8:03:42 PM, theLwerd wrote:
It's a little more than half-way through the season, so I figured we'd make some predictions or at least discuss our opinions on who you think should be the MVP this year. Here are my picks:

Brett Favre
Love him or hate him, this guy's a legend. I think he had about 2 weeks of practice before coming into this season and kicking a-ss. The Vikings are 9-1 and Favre only has 3 interceptions on the entire season thus far. For those of you who've been following his career, that's hella good - he used to average that many per game lol. I just think he's shown a lot of poise and has done great things this season without making too many mistakes.
No, and it's not just because I can't stand the thought of how much coverage he'll get if he wins it.

Is he good this year? Yes. Is the MVP of the League? No. He's not even the MVP of his team. Favre would not be nearly as successful if he:
A) Didn't have Peterson to take pressure of the pass game
B) Great WR's and a great RB who he can dump of little passes to
C) A great defense which allows him to not have to come back from behind and try and win games himself. This is what he had to do on the Packers and was the cause of most of his interceptions
Peyton Manning
I hate to keep glorifying QBs, but this guy deserves it. He has always been a calm yet dominant leader. He leads the league in completions and he's just a consistent player who continues to win games and doesn't fold under pressure.
Yes, I love Peyton Manning and would not be upset if he won it. However, I still don't think he should win it.

Peyton, beyond his god-like stats, has the most important attribute for a quarterback, leadership. He can rally his team well and he commands the respect of his entire team. If this award is seen as MVP for their team, then Peyton Manning should be a front-runner.
Chris Johnson
Damn, it's only his 2nd season and this guy is friggin awesome. I do think that the Titans are gonna make a comeback this season. Right now Johnson leads the league in rushing yards by FAR and just continues to do good things. Now that Young's passing game is back, it opens up opportunities for the running game. I just think Johnson has dominated in this position and has been outstanding compared to his counterparts in the game; I hope he wins :)
He does have amazing games. However, he has also had a lot of dud games due to the lack of a Tennesee offense until recently. Although I wouldn't mind him winning, I think that his poor start will hurt him.

I would also like to add a couple people to be considered:
Drew Brees:
This guy is the person I think should win the MVP, and not just because he comes from my favorite college (go Purdue!). He is the only reason that I don't think Peyton should win it outright. He has:
A) Great leadership, he brings his team back from the brink
B) Even more god-like stats than Peyton
C) He works with worse receivers than the other two QB's and still does better
D) He does good without a solid run-game AND without a solid Defense (although in their defense, they do get plenty of turn-overs)
E) He's short, like 5'10", and he still plays the QB position behind 6'3" linemen
F) He's awesome!

Tom Brady:
I guess he's alright. He should be considered but I don't really like him so I'm not going to support him.
There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics"
-Mark Twain

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success"

"Therefore love moderately. Long love doth so.
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."
- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler
patsox834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2009 11:50:32 AM
Determining the MVP in football is rather difficult -- basic logic tells you that a player's value is independent of his team, but football players are so dependent on their teammates that it makes finding a decent measure of individual contributions nearly impossible.
patsox834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2009 11:51:44 AM

He isn't because his team is hovering around .500, and he shouldn't be because he isn't that great. He's the lesser Manning.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2009 1:09:52 PM
I think after last night's a-ss whooping, I think it's safe to say that Drew Brees the #1 candidate right now for MVP.
President of DDO
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2009 1:17:48 PM
At 12/1/2009 1:09:52 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I think after last night's a-ss whooping, I think it's safe to say that Drew Brees the #1 candidate right now for MVP.

I could've thrown all over the Patriot's sorry a-s defense. Their cornerbacks - Leigh Bodden, Terrence Wheatley, Jonathan Wilhite - suck. Their communication was terrible as most clearly evidenced by the Deverly Henderson 75 yard touchdown. They covered like sh1t, if they actually turned their head to look at the ball and QB instead of staring at the WRs' backs, they might've actually got a few picks. Bill Belichick is going to rip them up during film session this week. Whatever though, I guess this gives Drew Brees the #1 spot for now, not sure how much he deserves it though.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2009 1:32:28 PM
Drew Brees most definitely deserves it after last night! Yes, some key defense mistakes and miscommunication led to that one wide open TD, however, his *accuracy* and ball placement was damn near perfect. Watch the high lights. He threw to receivers who were covered and successfully a bunch of times.
President of DDO
crackofdawn_Jr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2009 2:09:34 PM
At 12/3/2009 9:04:02 PM, sllewuy wrote:
If Aaron Rodgers gets his team to the playoffs i would like for him to win MVP LOL

I would love for him to win it, but his O-line is terrible and he almost never has enough time to pass.
-Mark Twain

- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler
realmadridfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 9:21:11 AM
At 11/29/2009 2:02:36 PM, comoncents wrote:

Manning
record 6-5
qb percentage 89.2%
2,684 yards
18 td's
only 10 int's
only 17 sack's.

Favre....only 4 int's
crackofdawn_Jr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 4:18:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/8/2009 9:21:11 AM, realmadridfan wrote:
At 11/29/2009 2:02:36 PM, comoncents wrote:

Manning
record 6-5
qb percentage 89.2%
2,684 yards
18 td's
only 10 int's
only 17 sack's.

Favre....only 4 int's

Because he no longer tries to win the game. He does little dumpy passes and refrains from risky, down-field throws that he used to be so enthralled with doing. The reason? A combination of an amazing defense, O-line, and running game.
-Mark Twain

- William Shakespeare

- Adolf Hitler
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 7:27:40 PM
At 12/9/2009 4:18:07 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:

Because he no longer tries to win the game. He does little dumpy passes and refrains from risky, down-field throws that he used to be so enthralled with doing. The reason? A combination of an amazing defense, O-line, and running game.

So what? Why does it matter what kind of passes he does? Sometimes the short ones are easier to intercept. I agree with you that he shouldn't win MVP (Drew Brees at this point is my choice) but I think Brett's still doing great. He's adjusting his game to his team which I think should be praised.
President of DDO
heart_of_the_matter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2009 2:56:31 AM
I will say Favre...based kinda on intangibles: leadership...confidence (etc...)...he makes the whole team a LOT better......Brett's skills are far superior to Gus Ferrotte and Tavaris Jackson....and so the team "bought in"...they saw the potential for a deep run into the playoffs...and they have responded. He was the one "missing link" in the puzzle...they had the D...they had Adrian Peterson...they needed a QB....him arriving there is the KEY element they were missing...it is exactly what they needed...he is the most Valuable player to the team in that regard at least...(I know AP is awesome too...!)
But...it has been Favre's leadership which has transformed the Vikings into a powerhouse team...also he has made some spectacular throws (even game winning throws) which have single-handedly won games.

I have nothing against Brees...in that game against New England he looked unstoppable and amazing! of course Peyton Manning is great too...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2009 10:32:51 AM

http://www.nfl.com...
Attempts 21-Through-30 103 67 65.0 812 7.9 58 7 3 42 40.8 11 0 99.7
Attempts 31+ 70 50 71.4 557 8.0 32 3 1 29 41.4 6 0 103.1

Attempts 21-Through-30 136 83 61.0 771 5.7 35 3 5 47 34.6 4 0 68.6
Attempts 31+ 67 44 65.7 447 6.7 41 5 3 23 34.3 6 0 90.8

Attempts 21-Through-30 143 102 71.3 1,143 8.0 82 9 5 51 35.7 12 0 101.2
Attempts 31+ 105 66 62.9 759 7.2 60 9 3 36 34.3 9 0 101.2

The relevant part to your claim is the first number after it describes the kind of attempt.
He already has more attempts 31 plus than 2008, and the regular season isn't even over. With 3 more games, those stats aren't gonna be quite at 2007 levels, but just cause he throws deep balls a slightly more reasonable amount does not mean he does not throw deep balls.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2009 10:37:07 AM
And here are Brees' stats on that btw:

Attempts 21-Through-30 117 77 65.8 1,068 9.1 63 12 2 47 40.2 19 0 122.0
Attempts 31+ 55 38 69.1 469 8.5 66 3 0 27 49.1 5 0 113.4

Yet Brees still throws more INTs
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.