Fantasy Football 2013

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 8:50:18 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
It's almost that time again!

Okay... not really. The NFL season starts in 87 days. I know some of you are looking forward to it as much as I am. But I'm also looking forward to something that happens before the NFL season: securing a fantasy football team!

Now, it's way too early to seriously think about teams IMO. We don't even know which teams certain players will still be on given some contract issues (I'm looking at you, Victor Cruz...) and other stuff. Those factors certainly have an impact on a player's draftability. So when do you guys think is a good time to start the draft?

Admittedly I prefer a glass pretty close to the start of the season. One of my biggest regrets last year was not recruiting Doug Martin when something in my gut told me to do so. At the start of pre-season, L. Blount was the starting RB on the Bucs, so I drafted him. Not soon thereafter did Martin get the starting job and put up big points whereas I desperately needed a RB, and that kept me from 1st place! Wah! But that's neither here nor there lol.

We should get an idea of how many people are interested and consider how long a draft might take based on that and last season. Feel free to post any other preliminary thoughts on players, team names, etc. here too :)
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 8:51:54 AM
*Draft... not glass ^

We should hopefully get at least 8 participants.

01. Danielle

Maybe/ I might forget...

President of DDO
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 9:56:21 AM
At 6/10/2013 8:51:54 AM, Danielle wrote:
*Draft... not glass ^

01. Danielle
02. Buddamoose

Maybe/ I might forget...

"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 11:41:00 PM
At 6/10/2013 9:56:21 AM, Buddamoose wrote:
*Draft... not glass ^

01. Danielle
02. Buddamoose
03. R0b1Bizzillion

Maybe/ I might forget...

Shhiiiiiiit. You know I'm in. I believe this is the third annual DDO Fantasy NFL league. I think I ran it twice or maybe even all three times, hard to remember. Can you handle running it this time Dani? Are we going with Yahoo again? We had issues last year with it, but I think we got used to it by the end, I had a hell of a time with the free-agent thingy but I got it figured out now. Standard scoring across the board and no PPR I take it? Airmaxx had us weaken the QB's TD points if I'm not mistaken... That stuff makes a huge diff in the draft.

I would ditch the "maybes..." It's hard enough getting the "definitelys" to finish the season and I doubt a maybe is going to stick around half-way through the season until someone drops.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 1:27:39 AM
At 6/10/2013 11:41:00 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
*Draft... not glass ^

01. Danielle
02. Buddamoose
03. R0b1Bizzillion
04. Stubs

Maybe/ I might forget...

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 8:22:27 AM
I got acquainted with Yahoo by the end of last season (I think), but I would prefer ESPN if it's put up to a vote. I would run it if nobody else wants to :)

In terms of points, I'm okay with standard. I wasn't part of the conversation last year that determined if there were any special point variations. Does anyone have a preference? Hopefully Airmax comes across this thread and chimes in.

Is everyone comfortable with the snake draft style? I have a feeling that's the best way to go about it on DDO, though I have done an auction draft before and that's... interesting. While I prefer the snake, the auction can be cool I guess. There's a little bit of a different strategy. I say for our official DDO one we do a snake, but if anyone else wants to join up an "outside" league with me for fun (and can participate in a live auction draft one night) then maybe we can do that. I personally manage a few teams during the season. It can get annoying to keep up with all of the teams half-way through the season though...

As for the 'Maybe' column, I just figured if we are about to draft and someone who signed up goes MIA, then maybe they can be replaced. No biggie.
President of DDO
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 8:39:22 PM
At 6/11/2013 1:27:39 AM, stubs wrote:
At 6/10/2013 11:41:00 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
*Draft... not glass ^

01. Danielle
02. Buddamoose
03. R0b1Bizzillion
04. Stubs
05. Loserboi

Maybe/ I might forget...

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 8:55:05 PM
01. Danielle
02. Buddamoose
03. R0b1Bizzillion
04. Stubs
05. Loserboi
06. Airmax

Maybe/ I might forget...

Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2013 12:06:23 AM
At 6/11/2013 8:22:27 AM, Danielle wrote:
I got acquainted with Yahoo by the end of last season (I think), but I would prefer ESPN if it's put up to a vote. I would run it if nobody else wants to :)

In terms of points, I'm okay with standard. I wasn't part of the conversation last year that determined if there were any special point variations. Does anyone have a preference? Hopefully Airmax comes across this thread and chimes in.

Standard scoring. QB TD passes at 4 points. Definitely not 6. For everything else standard is fine. No PPR.

Is everyone comfortable with the snake draft style? I have a feeling that's the best way to go about it on DDO, though I have done an auction draft before and that's... interesting. While I prefer the snake, the auction can be cool I guess. There's a little bit of a different strategy. I say for our official DDO one we do a snake, but if anyone else wants to join up an "outside" league with me for fun (and can participate in a live auction draft one night) then maybe we can do that. I personally manage a few teams during the season. It can get annoying to keep up with all of the teams half-way through the season though...

Snake works fine. I love auction drafts, but most aren't familiar enough with them to make it fair, so let's just keep with the snake.

As for the 'Maybe' column, I just figured if we are about to draft and someone who signed up goes MIA, then maybe they can be replaced. No biggie.
Debate.org Moderator
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2013 7:32:18 AM
At 6/12/2013 12:06:23 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

Standard scoring. QB TD passes at 4 points. Definitely not 6. For everything else standard is fine. No PPR.

OK I'm not sure if that's technically "standard" then if QB points are changed. I'm fine with the change (last year we had it at 5 pts if you remember correctly) but it's important that everybody REALLY understands that once QBs are modified in this way, picking QBs in the draft becomes a much different thing since they are now over-valued in the rankings. I'm not so sure this was understood last year...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2013 7:51:23 AM
Preseason rankings:

http://www.fantasypros.com...

James Jones of the Packers was the most prolific scoring player in the league second only to Arian Foster last year, yet he is ranked 70th in the rankings. Hmm.

Cam Newton is 22 but Kaepernick is 52? I imagine Kaepernick will go first in our league, although perhaps the injury to Crabtree justifies his poor ranking. Poor Greg Jennings is ranked 73 because he's on the Vikings - behind all of the Packers' starting receivers :( What a fall from grace!
Beliefs in a nutshell:
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2013 3:29:28 PM

That's not standard at all then haha. There's no reason to change it let's not be ridiculous.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2013 6:43:52 PM
At 6/12/2013 7:32:18 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

OK I'm not sure if that's technically "standard" then if QB points are changed. I'm fine with the change (last year we had it at 5 pts if you remember correctly) but it's important that everybody REALLY understands that once QBs are modified in this way, picking QBs in the draft becomes a much different thing since they are now over-valued in the rankings. I'm not so sure this was understood last year...

5 pts works for me.
Debate.org Moderator
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2013 11:44:13 PM
We'll hold it to a vote between the 8 people who end up signing up. Completely standard or custom with the minor change of slightly less pts, either 4 or 5, for QB TDs. There's certainly some logic in giving QBs less since they tend to dominate the points, but changing it can make some people leery and make the rankings a bit more complex - which in turn may not even be a bad thing because shaking up the rankings a bit creates more challenge (and they aren't even that accurate anyway).

Stubs, I don't necessarily disagree with your position, but I am curious as to why you object now to the change if you played with it without a peep last year? Were you not aware of it? It was reduced to 5 pts per QB TD and we made plenty of announcements...

One more point about it: this is an especially rich league for QBs this year because of the tremendous influx of rookies last year. Each of us is probably going to have at least two good QBs on our team:

Starters
1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Drew Brees
3. Tom Brady
4. Cam Newton
5. Peyton Manning
6. Matt Ryan
7. Colin Kaepernick
8. Matthew Stafford

Backups
9. RG3
10. Andrew Luck
11. Russell Wilson
12. Tony Romo
13. Eli Manning
14. Ben Roethlisberger
15. Michael Vick
16. Joe Flacco

As you can see, we are not going to really need to draft QBs until the late rounds as it is, and I am leery about making it even easier to pass on them. Perhaps this logic can be turned on its head (more elite QBs=more reason to devalue them) but I'm not seeing how...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2013 6:58:25 PM
At 6/12/2013 11:44:13 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Stubs, I don't necessarily disagree with your position, but I am curious as to why you object now to the change if you played with it without a peep last year? Were you not aware of it? It was reduced to 5 pts per QB TD and we made plenty of announcements...

I was aware of it last year but don't really care enough to argue about it haha. Although I do think it's pretty dumb to change it but y'all can do what you want bruh. And is there any word on if we are using yahoo or espn? As Danielle has said, espn is hella easier but again I don't care enough to argue about it haha.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2013 8:58:32 PM
At 6/13/2013 6:58:25 PM, stubs wrote:
At 6/12/2013 11:44:13 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

I was aware of it last year but don't really care enough to argue about it haha. Although I do think it's pretty dumb to change it but y'all can do what you want bruh. And is there any word on if we are using yahoo or espn? As Danielle has said, espn is hella easier but again I don't care enough to argue about it haha.

I don't care about yahoo or ESPN, I hated yahoo for the first month but once I learned how to use it I was fine. If anyone else doesn't want the learning curve, ESPN might be better...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2013 10:27:02 PM
At 6/13/2013 10:25:05 PM, Loserboi wrote:
I personally prefer Yahoo just cause I've been using it for the last 9 years. Does ESPN have a fantasy sports app?

Yeah
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2013 10:39:12 PM
At 6/13/2013 10:25:05 PM, Loserboi wrote:
I personally prefer Yahoo just cause I've been using it for the last 9 years. Does ESPN have a fantasy sports app?

Is there anything that doesn't have an app?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2013 11:01:47 PM
01. Danielle
02. Buddamoose
03. R0b1Bizzillion
04. Stubs
05. Loserboi
06. Airmax
07. Blackvoid

Maybe/ I might forget...

01. Ore_Ele
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2013 11:51:54 PM
At 6/13/2013 11:22:07 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I have no idea how fantasy football is played but I'd like to sign up if that's cool.

It'd be awesome if you played, but playing FF requires extensive knowledge of all 32 NFL teams. You need to know everything - literally all of their starting players, their schedule, their injury situation from week to week, and more. Otherwise, you'll be more confused when playing than anything. I'm only saying this because I haven't seen you post about football before, so you might be interpreting "Fantasy Football" to be some kind of virtual football simulation arcade game, which it isn't. But hey, if you've been a huge NFL fan all this time and never told me, hop right in.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2013 11:56:04 PM
At 6/13/2013 11:51:54 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 6/13/2013 11:22:07 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I have no idea how fantasy football is played but I'd like to sign up if that's cool.

It'd be awesome if you played, but playing FF requires extensive knowledge of all 32 NFL teams. You need to know everything - literally all of their starting players, their schedule, their injury situation from week to week, and more. Otherwise, you'll be more confused when playing than anything. I'm only saying this because I haven't seen you post about football before, so you might be interpreting "Fantasy Football" to be some kind of virtual football simulation arcade game, which it isn't. But hey, if you've been a huge NFL fan all this time and never told me, hop right in.

I am not into football. I didn't grow up in the United States. I was thinking I'd learn more about the NFL by joining in.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 8:50:19 AM
BlackVoid, obviously being an NFL fan and following the league during the season is super important. However I don't think that F16 will be entirely lost. I'll help explain things to him before the season begins - I'm sure we all will - and there are a lot of resources that help. Last year was only my second year ever playing. My first year, I had absolutely no idea what was going on and my team was picked via automatic draft. I wound up coming in 2nd or 3rd place without really knowing what was happening lol. Last year I really felt more comfortable playing.

There are dozens of "best draft picks" online that F16 could refer to while drafting. And yeah, following league news is really important if you want to optimize your team during the season, but I think F16 will catch on. I've only played mafia with him and he's very involved in that. Some people who play FF don't keep up; I have personally forgotten to update my roster a few times. This is just for fun :) Your concerns are super valid but I think it would be cool to let F16 join though the warning was legitimate. We could also have more than 8 people sign up. I'd say up to 12 is cool.
President of DDO
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 9:12:09 AM
Yeah he will be fine, the rankings I posted will help him draft and once he does, he only needs to really keep up with the dozen or so players on his team, not hundreds of players around the NFL.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 2:39:21 PM
It's very easy to pick up. Usually beginners tend to just follow the rating systems and learn to completely utilize the waiver wire as the season progresses. That is usually how you learn to really play fantasy football. But the only difference is that people who have played a long time develop a sense on who to draft, rules on how to approach certain players and etc.

For example like I have mentioned before I have been doing this for the last 9 seasons and the rules I have learned throughout this time might not be agreeable to all but they are my self made rules when I go to a draft.

1. Be aware of the black quarterback. (Not being racist) I wanna say mobile but my history is about drafting black quarterbacks.
Okay let me explain. Three seasons ago I drafted Mike Vick after his return from jail season. As you may all remember mike Vick beat out Kolb for the starting job and led the Eagles to the playoffs with and MVP season. The ratings ranked Mike Vick that year as the 3rd highest QB behind Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers. I took Vick with my late first round pick, and was ultimately screwed the rest of the season at QB. Vick played terribly, got injured a couple of times, and my back-up Jay Cutler wasnt playing well enough to pick up the slack. People in fantasy like to highly optimistic when they see a running quarterback. But from my history of doing this, no running quarterback should be your #1 and if you are forced to have one as your number one I suggest drafting a decent veteran back up quarterback immediately for insurance. This year Colin, Wilson, Rg3 and Newton are all ranked above consistent, successful quarterbacks like Eli, Romo, Roethlisberger and even better upside prospect like Andre Luck who isn't a veteran but who I believe will come next season significantly better than last season. If you get a black quarterback don't bank on him, repeat seasons are rare for them. I took Cam Newton last year and backed him up with Andy Dalton, the result was very inconsistent. Newton did not play up to expectations last season.

2. Stats lie
I have been doing this for awhile. The first few times I did this I only looked at the total stats. Like 3 years ago Lynch was a new part of the Seattle SeaHawks. Lynch finished the season with something close to 1100 yards give or take and 9-10TDs that is usually a sign of a great first round running back selection isn't it? I had Lynch during this season and dropped him near week 9. You know why I dropped him? For 9-11 straight weeks, lynch was playing like crap. Lynch the first 9 weeks probably had 500 yards and 2-4TDS. Lynch was being dropped by hundreds of leagues. Lynch had a few monster games at the end of the season where he ripped out 150+ yards and 2-3 TDS in those last few games of the season. I'm saying I suffered 9 straight weeks of poor running back play that season. I try to look at running backs who have a consistent chain of games, not just those guys who owe their entire season to 3 GREAT games. Chris Johnson owners of last year know this very well.

3. Know who is in their prime.
What I have learned. Players just hitting their 30's is really rolling the dice. Running backs who are thirty usually split carries with a younger back. Don't buy into the one season wonder of some players. Many players have a TREMENDOUS season, and that fantasy value coasts with them for 2-3 seasons. Examples: Matt Forte, Steve Slaton, Steve Smith (giants), Sydney Rice, Desean Jackson, Peyton Hillis, and etc. guys who had that one big season and people expect them to pull if off again. Go with the guy who has had many good seasons or the guy who has had many great seasons in the past. If they are still in their late twenties, they would be a better bet.

4. Just cause they are the #1 doesn't mean they will produce good numbers.
I'm talking about the Shonn Greenes, Beanie Wells, Darrius Heyward Bey, Darren McFaddens, Donnie Avery, Devin Hester, Marion Barber and etc. most people like to think "o he is the only guy that this qb will throw to, or he is the only option at running back for this team, he has to be good this year." Wrong DONT fall for that trap. Just cause they are the best option for that team, doesn't mean they are the best option for you.

5. Don't keep a dead horse.
If your player is going to be injured for unknown amount of weeks drop his arse. Don't hold out hoping that when he comes back he will be great again right away, don't hold this notion that you are preventing your opponents from getting him. DO NOT HOARD injured players.

6. Get back-ups before defense and kickers.
ESPECIALLY THIS YEAR. This is the First time in about 6 years I have been playing where defenses are up in the air. ONLY SF AND SEATTLE are the closest thing to sure things this years. Pittsburgh and Baltimore the usual consistent pick is not there anymore as a top 5 defense. Gamble on some back ups on the late rounds. You could really live off weekly waiver decisions on the defenses, determining match ups accordingly and picking up that way. If you are lazy then try to acquire SF, SEATTLE or HOUSTON. Everyone else is a coin toss to me, I won't waste my time drafting a defense before a good back up QB, RB and WR.

7. WAIVERS will be your best friend. If you messed up in the draft.
Pay attention to players who are coming up, cause every year 3-4 nobodies show up and finish the season exceptionally well. Examples: Demarco Murray, Cecil Shorts, Arian Foster, Steve Slaton, Fred Jackson, Willis Magahee, Peyton Hillis, Sydney rice, Darren Sproles. I mentioned before not to fall for the one season players cause most of the people above aside from Arian do not have repeat great seasons but if you can get them during the spectacular season when they have yet to be discovered all power to you. Just don't draft them as your staple the following season.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 4:38:08 PM
Just to expand on Loserboi's nice points, and why I think regardless of who he picked at QB in his first point he was already starting from a position of weakness

I think my point of view on drafting QBs high is well documented last year, and this is just my opinion, but never draft a QB high. There's just no reason to. There are going to be at least 15 starting caliber QBs in the league, and you'll be happy with pretty much any one of them. That's enough QBs that you can draft one late and still get a good one. In fact, even your backup QB is still a starting NFL QB, and therefore will get you some points when you need to start him (and the points they get you wont be a huge drop off from your starter, as say the dif. between a top tier and 2nd tier RB)

But the reason I argue that you don't want to draft a QB high (especially not in the first or second or even 3rd rounds) is from a cost-loss perspective. If you draft a top tier QB, you will be losing a top tier RB. There are only so many starting RBs to go around (Maybe 20? and even fewer (4-5) top tier RBs) , and the NFL is more and more a RB by committee game. Having a top 10 RB, one that will inevitably average 25 carries a game and 1.5 TDs, is far more important than the difference between a top tier and second tier QB.

If you do skip those top tier RBs, you may end up with a decent RB1, but your RB2 is far more likely to be a guy you switch in and out throughout the season, and your RBs should be your most relied upon position.

In a league with the following positions...

QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
WR/RB
TE
DEF
K

...my strategy is always to get 3 RBs first, 2 WRs, and then a QB. That's the order of consistency of points (QBs are more consistent with their points however, but all of the top 15 starters are worth an average of 10 pts minimum a game, devaluing a top tier QBs relative value) and the difficulty of finding a top tier player at the position.

Of course that's just my opinion. I didn't make the playoffs in this league last year missing the playoffs by one loss I believe. But I did win the superbowl in my other 2 leagues this season and have been playing FF for about 10 years now. But this is just one strategy to go with, and I am strict with it every year.

I've seen teams be successful with over valuing QBs, but I've also seen them fall apart early even with the #1 QB. Top tier RBs are tough to come by, don't pass up on them by overreaching for a QB... But that's just my opinion.
Debate.org Moderator
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2013 12:56:20 AM
So are we doing ESPN or yahoo? I'd like to find out which one so I can get intimate with their site. Also, how are points calculated based on position? Is there a link I can find the equations that we'll be using?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"