Total Posts:26|Showing Posts:1-26
Jump to topic:

How do you choose which teams to support?

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 1:35:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
In sports, how does one select the team for which they root for? Is it usually proximity based? Is it based off of the composition of the teams? Is it random?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 1:43:03 AM
At 6/19/2013 1:35:09 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
In sports, how does one select the team for which they root for? Is it usually proximity based? Is it based off of the composition of the teams? Is it random?

Depends on the person.

For me it's proximity. I live in Milwaukee and have major sports teams near me. So it's natural that since I was a child I've been rooting for the Bucks (NBA), Brewers (MLB) and the Packers (NFL).

If you live in a place without a major sports franchise you attach to a team in a different way, for example, Ore_ele attached himself to the Bills for whatever reason as a child (cool uniforms I believe) and has remained a fan since.

For some it can be a single player. A friend of mine from Iowa was a huge Joe Montana Fan, and so has been a big 49ers fan his whole life.

For anyone it can be pretty much anything, but I find there is usually a specific reason for whatever they find to root for that team.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 1:45:34 AM
At 6/19/2013 1:43:03 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

Depends on the person.

For me it's proximity. I live in Milwaukee and have major sports teams near me. So it's natural that since I was a child I've been rooting for the Bucks (NBA), Brewers (MLB) and the Packers (NFL).

To expand on this, the lack of an NHL team here, is probably part of the reason I don't care much for hockey. And the fact that soccer isn't played in the US at any level whatsoever that I'm aware of, would explain my lack of interest in that sport as well.

If you live in a place without a major sports franchise you attach to a team in a different way, for example, Ore_ele attached himself to the Bills for whatever reason as a child (cool uniforms I believe) and has remained a fan since.

For some it can be a single player. A friend of mine from Iowa was a huge Joe Montana Fan, and so has been a big 49ers fan his whole life.

For anyone it can be pretty much anything, but I find there is usually a specific reason for whatever they find to root for that team.
Debate.org Moderator
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 2:38:00 PM
At 6/19/2013 1:45:34 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

Depends on the person.

To expand on this, the lack of an NHL team here, is probably part of the reason I don't care much for hockey. And the fact that soccer isn't played in the US at any level whatsoever that I'm aware of, would explain my lack of interest in that sport as well.

There is a proffessional soccer league(MLS). The closest MLS team to Milwaukee is the Chicago Fire. There is also a Men's National(Olympic) Team. Soccer is a rapidly growing sport in popularity in the U.S. and the fact that the Men's National Team has been on fire lately and is moving rapidly up in the world rankings(23rd in the world now after their win against Honduras(the last team to beat them in a non-friendly) last night) will only increase its popularity.

The U.S. Men's Team also won a World Cup group for the first time ever last World Cup, so expect big things the next one in Rio De Janeiro in 2014.

Oh and their win against Spain(#1 in the world) in the Confederations Cup in the SemiFinals in I believe 2009, stands as the most exhilirating sports game I've ever seen. Went utterly ballistic watching it.

"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 9:23:08 PM
I favor the ones that have the least amount of convicted felons and drug addicts.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 9:44:11 PM
At 6/19/2013 9:23:08 PM, sadolite wrote:
I favor the ones that have the least amount of convicted felons and drug addicts.

Which teams are those?

Seems like a lot of research and effort to go to just to figure out which team to root for. Especially considering players move around frequently. I suppose you might just watch little league sports though.
Debate.org Moderator
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 12:13:19 AM

So in other words, the teams with the fewest black people? So racist.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 12:15:50 AM

Originally, it was based on the color of their uniforms. Whichever team had the cooler uniform was the team I'd root for. Eventually it became rooting for underdogs and simply for good close games. It eventually just sticks that you find yourself rooting for the same team over and over (because they have the best colors and are ALWAYS underdogs... looking at you Buffalo) so they stick, even after they are no longer underdogs (Buffalo still is, just FYI).
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 1:08:12 AM
I'm a tennis guy, so I don't really have that problem. I just support whichever players are the most interesting to me in terms of their play style.

I did have to choose a team to support once, though. I was around 8 and my cousin Peanut (yup) was teaching me about football. He liked the 49ers and said I couldn't watch games with him unless I liked a team, too. So he started naming teams and after a few seconds I stopped him on the Green Bay Packers. It bothered me that all the teams were named after animals and I liked that they weren't. Been a fan ever since.

Oh, and during the Olympics I root for the USA. Just cause.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 1:18:00 AM
At 6/20/2013 1:08:12 AM, Maikuru wrote:
I'm a tennis guy, so I don't really have that problem. I just support whichever players are the most interesting to me in terms of their play style.

I specifically root against Serena Williams because of her pro-rape views. Otherwise I just root for whoever has the better chance of winning (unless I'm getting lucrative odds on an underdog) or whose home town is closer to mine.

I did have to choose a team to support once, though. I was around 8 and my cousin Peanut (yup) was teaching me about football. He liked the 49ers and said I couldn't watch games with him unless I liked a team, too. So he started naming teams and after a few seconds I stopped him on the Green Bay Packers. It bothered me that all the teams were named after animals and I liked that they weren't. Been a fan ever since.

Well that's a good enough reason as any to root for the Packers. The fact that they are the greatest sports franchise of all time is a nice perk too.

Oh, and during the Olympics I root for the USA. Just cause.

Yeah, the Olympics makes things pretty simple.
Debate.org Moderator
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 1:42:13 AM

It's often inherited (parents supported them, or whatever), and often it's based on where you live. In England you'll almost always support the football (soccer) team from the city you're from or the nearest big team to your city. I think most people feel some loyalty to the teams that are from where they live or where they were born. I don't like American football, but I do tend to root for the Eagles or the Ravens, just because I live in Baltimore and was born in Philadelphia. Liverpool FC ended up being my favorite sports team because the person who got me into soccer was a huge Liverpool fan. I just followed along, not too seriously, at a young age and latter become quite a diehard fan. I'm not into it as much now, but it's easy to become quite loyal to your favorite team even if there's no culture in it.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 12:44:01 AM

I care about football only when the Patriots make it to the super bowl, or someone invites me to a game and they give me tickets. I care about baseball only when the Red Sox make it to the World Series. 2004 was a hell of a year, but I'd rather chill at the Prudential Center while everyone else is sitting in Fenway. I never care about basketball. I really couldn't care less about college sports, other than swimming and volleyball -in which case I always care no matter who is competing. Swimming and volleyball are magnificent sports. Tennis is ok too.
Tsar of DDO
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2013 9:55:35 PM
For most, it is strictly cultural - the people around you do it and you conform. That is the source of my packer-backing, I moved here in '97 and couldn't care less about them for ten years until I met a crowd that was emphatic about them and I caved in. Other weirdos like Ore_Ele choose unique attributes to guide them, like colors, cool names, etc. Another big one is band-wagon-jumping, which is why classically-successful teams like the 49ers, Yankees, and Cowboys have huge followings all over the country. I like the Blue Jays in baseball because they were hot when I was a baseball fan in the early-nineties.

It should be noted that there really is no rational reason to root for one group of men over others. In fact, it's quite detrimental since we are exercising pride for no apparent reason. Extending my ego over the Green Bay Packers makes little sense, and it starts to get incredibly irrational when you see the pure hatred fans of different teams engage in. When Brett Favre left town and came back to our divisional rivals, the Minnesota vikings, a Green Bay man followed a Viking fan out of a local bar and slew him in cold blood after the Vikes beat us with Favre at the helm. Dodger/Giant violence has been a problem as of late as well. Nationalism works somewhat the same way, and is curiously vicious yet waving the flag and wearing sports uniforms are not frowned down upon at all in society.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2013 10:30:24 PM
Piggybacking off what Rob just said about nationalism - and this is a conversation we've had before - I think it makes a lot more sense to be a fan of a player(s) rather than a team. As he pointed out, there is nothing about the team specifically outside of the stadium's location that inextricably links the players to the city they represent. The athletes did not necessarily grow up in that area, nor are they guaranteed to stay there. Free agents leave all the time for better money, and team management will let go of their beloved fan favorites at the drop of a hat if they stumble upon a lucrative trade. There isn't really any loyalty on their end, so fan loyalty is kind of unwarranted from a rational POV. Plus free agents show up on a team because of money and draft picks wound up on a team by luck of the draw. That hardly seems like a good reason to root for anyone in particular.

Plus consider a situation where say an Eagles fan had to come to terms with Michael Vick signing with the birds. A convicted felon becomes the most important player of the franchise: a man whose actions many fans found so abhorrent, and now they suddenly had to cheer him on and root for his success if they wanted "their" team to win.

Or think about the Jets. Us Jet fans have had to facepalm our way through the past few seasons, and all the while cheer on a team we found to be overall obnoxious, showboaty, undisciplined, reckless and immature. Where is the glory or fun in that? Why should we have to continue supporting the jackassery of the organization in order to prove that we are TRUE and loyal, non-bandwagoning fans? It makes no sense.

This year the Nets moved to Brooklyn, and suddenly they have an entire new fan base (the Knicks lost some fans, but probably gained a few after finishing 2nd in the East). So now new Nets fans aren't "bandwagoners" because people from Brooklyn like them... the same people who rooted against them last year when they were the New Jersey Nets. And yes, if the Mets suddenly have a breakout season (and a few times recently it looked like they were going to, after the Yankees have dominated the NYC baseball spotlight for the past 30 years) then of course all of the "new" fans will be labeled bandwagoners and perhaps they are... but so what? Shouldn't fans be proud of and excited about accomplishments and success of players rather than celebrate their shortcomings and failures just because?

Sure there is something to be said about rooting for a bad team and the loyalty behind that I suppose, but again there is no reason to be loyal to it - though there is reason to stand by and support particular players that you like who may just be having a bad time I guess.

Derek Jeter is an icon in NYC and always will be. He's a class act player and gives every Yankee fan something to be proud of. Same with Mariano Rivera and a handful of other Yankee staples. I can see following a team that has icons like that but I can't think of many. I can also see why an athlete with a commanding presence could get you to follow his team, like LeBron James or Tom Brady, and that's my point. I think rooting for a particular player(s) success makes more sense. I personally love Victor Cruz which makes it super easy to be a Giants fan ;)

And btw I fully admit that I support my hometown teams (NYC and Jersey) even though it doesn't make any sense. The thing is though that I like all or most NY teams so I'm both a Jets and Giants fan, Yankee and Mets fan, and Knicks and Nets fan. I don't follow soccer or hockey and admittedly I'm not crazy about the Bills despite them technically being from NY. I couldn't care less about them.

I was just telling Rob that I will be pulling for Tampa Bay because I'm a big fan of Cocach Schiano's (go Rutgers). Also my favorite Jet, Darrelle Revis, just became a Buc. I root for the Saints too (same division I know...) because I LOVE Drew Brees, both as a person and a player, and I like Sean Peyton and just the entire gang minus the whole controversy last year. But anyways. I love sports and I can appreciate the competition without obsessive fan "loyalty." Especially with football. Also fantasy football tends to make you cheer for certain players and not teams :P
President of DDO
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2013 4:32:23 PM
At 6/19/2013 9:44:11 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Which teams are those?

Seems like a lot of research and effort to go to just to figure out which team to root for. Especially considering players move around frequently. I suppose you might just watch little league sports though.

Don't follow sports anymore because of it. But if I had to root for a team that would be the bases
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2013 4:33:19 PM
At 6/20/2013 12:13:19 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Talk about putting words into someone's mouth, how pathetic are you.

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2013 7:49:20 PM
At 6/23/2013 10:30:24 PM, Danielle wrote:
Piggybacking off what Rob just said about nationalism - and this is a conversation we've had before - I think it makes a lot more sense to be a fan of a player(s) rather than a team. As he pointed out, there is nothing about the team specifically outside of the stadium's location that inextricably links the players to the city they represent. The athletes did not necessarily grow up in that area, nor are they guaranteed to stay there. Free agents leave all the time for better money, and team management will let go of their beloved fan favorites at the drop of a hat if they stumble upon a lucrative trade.

When Brett Favre left Green Bay, what an unholy time it was to be a fan (I was just starting to pay attention in '07 so I was left unscathed)! Favre was BEYOND loved in this town for 15 years of HOF-caliber play. Many people insisted they were a BRETT FAVRE fan and not a Packers fan, while others hated him for leaving for another team instead of retiring - sort of like being widowed to a celebrity and not being able to remarry without scorn. Rodgers' elite performance since then has mended the wound, miraculously outperforming the legend.

There isn't really any loyalty on their end, so fan loyalty is kind of unwarranted from a rational POV. Plus free agents show up on a team because of money and draft picks wound up on a team by luck of the draw. That hardly seems like a good reason to root for anyone in particular.

I think "luck of the draw" is a gross exaggeration for draft picks.

Plus consider a situation where say an Eagles fan had to come to terms with Michael Vick signing with the birds. A convicted felon becomes the most important player of the franchise: a man whose actions many fans found so abhorrent, and now they suddenly had to cheer him on and root for his success if they wanted "their" team to win.

Or think about the Jets. Us Jet fans have had to facepalm our way through the past few seasons, and all the while cheer on a team we found to be overall obnoxious, showboaty, undisciplined, reckless and immature. Where is the glory or fun in that? Why should we have to continue supporting the jackassery of the organization in order to prove that we are TRUE and loyal, non-bandwagoning fans? It makes no sense.

This year the Nets moved to Brooklyn, and suddenly they have an entire new fan base (the Knicks lost some fans, but probably gained a few after finishing 2nd in the East). So now new Nets fans aren't "bandwagoners" because people from Brooklyn like them... the same people who rooted against them last year when they were the New Jersey Nets. And yes, if the Mets suddenly have a breakout season (and a few times recently it looked like they were going to, after the Yankees have dominated the NYC baseball spotlight for the past 30 years) then of course all of the "new" fans will be labeled bandwagoners and perhaps they are... but so what? Shouldn't fans be proud of and excited about accomplishments and success of players rather than celebrate their shortcomings and failures just because?

Sure there is something to be said about rooting for a bad team and the loyalty behind that I suppose, but again there is no reason to be loyal to it - though there is reason to stand by and support particular players that you like who may just be having a bad time I guess.

Derek Jeter is an icon in NYC and always will be. He's a class act player and gives every Yankee fan something to be proud of. Same with Mariano Rivera and a handful of other Yankee staples. I can see following a team that has icons like that but I can't think of many. I can also see why an athlete with a commanding presence could get you to follow his team, like LeBron James or Tom Brady, and that's my point. I think rooting for a particular player(s) success makes more sense. I personally love Victor Cruz which makes it super easy to be a Giants fan ;)

And btw I fully admit that I support my hometown teams (NYC and Jersey) even though it doesn't make any sense. The thing is though that I like all or most NY teams so I'm both a Jets and Giants fan, Yankee and Mets fan, and Knicks and Nets fan. I don't follow soccer or hockey and admittedly I'm not crazy about the Bills despite them technically being from NY. I couldn't care less about them.

I was just telling Rob that I will be pulling for Tampa Bay because I'm a big fan of Cocach Schiano's (go Rutgers). Also my favorite Jet, Darrelle Revis, just became a Buc. I root for the Saints too (same division I know...) because I LOVE Drew Brees, both as a person and a player, and I like Sean Peyton and just the entire gang minus the whole controversy last year. But anyways. I love sports and I can appreciate the competition without obsessive fan "loyalty." Especially with football. Also fantasy football tends to make you cheer for certain players and not teams :P

That's a more advanced demonstration of fandom - it requires in-depth review of many players' professional careers and personal lives. You can only expect a small percentage of fans to reach this level.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2013 8:31:38 PM
At 6/24/2013 4:33:19 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 6/20/2013 12:13:19 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Talk about putting words into someone's mouth, how pathetic are you.

Oh come on, how could I pass that up? You lobbed it up there NPF pitch.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2013 9:59:48 PM
My father was a Vikings fan. So, as a little kid, I was a Vikings fan before I even knew how the rules of football worked. I never had a reason to switch. Sports fandom is a pretty tightly soldered emotional switch, it doesn't wiggle much, at least in my experience.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
TSDN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 2:12:45 PM
I have a funny story on how I became a Laker fan.

My aunt Gwen used to say that Magic Johnson was her brother cause her last name is Johnson. Well one day when I was 7 I was at Universal Studios with my aunt Gwen and we saw magic Johnson there signing autographs. The way he ignored my aunt cause he never seen her before in his life gave me a found respect for him and I have been a Laker's fan ever since.
The Last Sports Network You Will Ever Join!
www.TheDebateNetwork.com
JonMilne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 11:25:13 AM
I'm into football (a.k.a. Soccer) and rugby league, as well as tennis and a passing interest in baseball.

Football - chose Manchester United in 1998 because of defending David Beckham against idiots in light of what happened in the World Cup that year, and the fact that United were the first club team I ever saw on television and the first team I went to an actual match for. From then on, I was a fan. I absolutely despise Chelesa, Manchester City, and Real Madrid for what they're doing to the game. I actually like Liverpool though, since my best friend likes them.

Rugby league - The Leeds Rhinos, as my best friend is a fan and has taken me along to games.

Tennis - Tim Henman before and Andy Murray now, naturally. Beyond that, I too root against the Williams sisters, and was overjoyed with the progress of Lisicki at this year's Wimbledon. Sharapova is also a firm favourite, and Djokovic is a guy I respect too.

Baseball - I support New York Yankees just to troll any other baseball fans I get in contact with.
fartingsaucer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 11:54:17 AM
Well, I root for the University of Michigan, mainly because most of my family goes there, I root for the Steelers because they were the first ever nfl team I saw, I root for the Detroit Red Wings because I have tons of relatives that live in Detroit, and frankly, I have no idea why I root or the Baltimore Orioles.
No signature here
dashy654
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 1:34:14 AM

For me, it was somewhat proximity based. Technically I am closer to Oakland, however I have always favored San Francisco. The history (for me), was richer (but I probably didn't know that when I was 5). It is also passed down from generations. My stepdad and dad always talked about the 49ers and the Giants and as a result, I became more familiar with them as a team.

For a lot of people (who I find don't actually follow the sport very closely), supporting a team can also come from how successful it is. This is also known as "bandwagoning". The bandwagoners do not stay faithful to one team, rather follow whoever is most successful at the moment.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 9:48:10 AM
My father supports Manchester United, the Red Devils, and I opted in stead for siding with my cousin and his team, the Arsenal, both of whom my father hates, lol.
Noctan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 6:53:55 PM

Depends on the person.

You like the Packers? You shall try to burn through our defenses, but you shall fail due to the 49ER WRATH!
I can manage my anger if people can manage their stupidity.
BhejendraPun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 1:52:18 AM
Generally while choosing team, it all depend on the success rate of team and the types of player in that team. Most of the people select their team on the basis of their favorite player. For example my sister likes Neymar so she is the fan of Barcelona whether for me i like the way C.Ronaldo plays so i am always on the Real Madrid side.