Jump to topic:

Overrated vs. Underrated

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 1:03:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Last year before the season started, I asked which team you guys thought had a good chance of coming out of the woodwork and surprising everyone to be a legitimate contender... or at least, a team that you suspected would do much better than anticipated. I picked the Kansas City Chiefs and was pretty wrong lol to say the least... they only won 2 games last year! However this year, when I answer the same question that I'm posing to you all again, I'm going to go ahead and pick the same team: Chiefs. I'm curious to see if anyone disagrees before making my case. They're currently ranked 22/36. I think they'll finish around #14, which means they have a shot to make the playoffs if they win a good amount of games (the Broncos will win that division for sure). The Bucs are another team I've got my eye on.

On the other hand, the team I think might tank compared to expectations (as in ranked #15 or higher according to power rankings) are the Saints. They are currently ranked #14, but I don't think they have any shot at making the playoffs. The Saints are actually my favorite team outside of NY teams, so that's pretty disappointing for me (I love Drew Brees). However I don't think they deserve to be ranked that high. The Falcons will likely win that division and I don't see the Saints winning more than around 8 games next year for whatever reason. Maybe my hunch is off but that's my guess.

What team do you think will do a lot better than anticipated? Worse?
President of DDO
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 3:22:50 PM
Underrated= Dolphins, Ryan Tannehill is the man.
Patriots. Tom Brady makes receivers better

I'd agree with you on the Chiefs and Bucs, but they're not really underrated from the people I talk to. Big things are expected from them. I'd also add the Rams to underrated, they are scary good. And getting better
#BlackLivesMatter
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 6:43:52 PM
I agree the Chiefs are ready to go. Andy Reid is going to light a fire under their azzes, Alex Smith is competent enough to keep them steady, and they have a lot of really good players.

We'll know how to rate the Packers in week one when and if Kaepernick tears out another 600-yards against us.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 8:50:46 PM
Underrated: Arizona Carson Palmer to me really makes a difference to that team, not to mention the addition of mendenhall, and their already good defense makes them a threat in the west. Arizona could squeeze a wild card spot out this year.

Tampa Bay- their defensive secondary just got huge boosts, their offense is on track they can make a run in that division.

Eagles: offense rejuvenated, eagles dream team days are over, but that division is always a toss up, if shady McCoy is Healthy they can contend very well in that division in which they were last place in last year.

Overrated: I believe the Falcons are a little overrated. Their offense is superb, but they just do not seem dominant in any sense, and they seem to eek out games. Their defense is not spectacular and I believe that anyone in that division has the potential to overtake them.

Patriots are a little overrated. That defense hasn't been good in a long time, too many one hit wonders coming in and out of that defense. Tom Brady can only do so much by himself.

Seahawks: they are too stacked on paper, I don't believe in Russell Wilson I think he's a little overrated, I would be amazed if he repeats that type of season. Everything about the Seahawks just seem too good to be true. I don't like the Seahawks, NINERS ALL DAY.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 9:03:44 PM
At 7/25/2013 8:50:46 PM, Loserboi wrote:
Underrated: Arizona Carson Palmer to me really makes a difference to that team, not to mention the addition of mendenhall, and their already good defense makes them a threat in the west. Arizona could squeeze a wild card spot out this year.

No way.

Tampa Bay- their defensive secondary just got huge boosts, their offense is on track they can make a run in that division.

Agree.

Eagles: offense rejuvenated, eagles dream team days are over, but that division is always a toss up, if shady McCoy is Healthy they can contend very well in that division in which they were last place in last year.

Absolutely not. That's a solid division. While I don't know how to feel about the G-men this year yet, they're more solid than the Birds and if not Big Blue then the Skins win the division. Even Dallas is better than the Eagles... actually Dallas is only a notch behind the G-men in my book. So dude, nah, the Birds aren't getting very far this year, and McCoy is iffy. I guess there is always the chance that Vick is graced by god Tim Tebow style, buuuuuut, I wouldn't count on it. We'll see.

Overrated: I believe the Falcons are a little overrated. Their offense is superb, but they just do not seem dominant in any sense, and they seem to eek out games. Their defense is not spectacular and I believe that anyone in that division has the potential to overtake them.

Good point. Agree.

Patriots are a little overrated. That defense hasn't been good in a long time, too many one hit wonders coming in and out of that defense. Tom Brady can only do so much by himself.

I have a feeling the Pats D will step up this year, and Tom Brady will do what he does. I think losing Welker will bother him more than Hernandez, but he'll pill through. Luckily he's in a weak division, but the Pats won't make it deep into the playoffs.

Seahawks: they are too stacked on paper, I don't believe in Russell Wilson I think he's a little overrated, I would be amazed if he repeats that type of season. Everything about the Seahawks just seem too good to be true. I don't like the Seahawks, NINERS ALL DAY.

Agree.
President of DDO
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 11:36:42 PM
The Patriots re-signed Talib and added Adrian Wilson. Adding Talib alone made them an average secondary last season (a big improvement over the terrible one they had previously), so bringing Wilson in should make their pass D above-average. Their run D will also be good, as always. Their defense will be solid. However, I'm not comfortable with writing off the Pats' offensive losses with "Brady makes his receivers better". I don't see any way that losing your three best receivers doesn't have drastic implications for how well your offense performs.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt though and say they'll go 10-6, just because they get to play the Bills and the Jets twice. But if Gronk isn't at 100% when the playoffs come around, they could easily get ousted in the first round.

Loserboi, why specifically do you think RW can't repeat his season? The only reason his numbers weren't even better was because he played like crap on the road in the first half of the season, but he conquered that weakness in the second half, so you have to figure he'll be fine for all of this season. They added Percy Harvin who is a QB's best friend (throw him a 2 yard pass and he'll make it 40), their run game is still there and their dominant defense gets a year better...personally I think that they should be the favorites to win the NFC, but I'll hear you out.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 10:45:59 AM
At 7/25/2013 11:36:42 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt though and say they'll go 10-6, just because they get to play the Bills and the Jets twice. But if Gronk isn't at 100% when the playoffs come around, they could easily get ousted in the first round.

I say the Pats go 11-5. Not only do they play in a weak division, but their other opponents aren't all that great either outside of the Bucs, Falcons, Saints and Texans. Even then the Bucs and Texans rely heavily on their run game which the Pats have a decent D against.

Obviously Brady will have to sync up with his new receivers, but he'll be fine. The Ravens, Texans and Broncos are the only really strong defenses Brady faces (in my opinion). He still has Gronk and Amendola, and their run game could be worse. He'll sync up with Edelman just fine. I'm really not worried about the Pats, but I HIGHLY doubt they make it past round 1 of the playoffs.

Loserboi, why specifically do you think RW can't repeat his season? The only reason his numbers weren't even better was because he played like crap on the road in the first half of the season, but he conquered that weakness in the second half, so you have to figure he'll be fine for all of this season. They added Percy Harvin who is a QB's best friend (throw him a 2 yard pass and he'll make it 40), their run game is still there and their dominant defense gets a year better...personally I think that they should be the favorites to win the NFC, but I'll hear you out.

This is a good point. I can't really justify agreeing with him outside of a small hunch which doesn't say much. I say they win 10 games, make it to the playoffs and excel in the playoffs. Then again their road schedule is really easy so maybe they even go 12 wins. Who knows. This is tough to call but either way they're a solid contender to win it all. However! I say this every year (it gets old saying it lol) but you just *never know* in the NFL. A few years ago the Chiefs started 7-0 and finished 9-7. The Giants came back from a longshot to win the Superbowl based on a series of clutch 4Q performances. Michael Vick turned out to be overrated. Etc. All of the teams are pretty talented, so... we'll see :)
President of DDO
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 3:10:49 PM
At 7/25/2013 1:03:14 PM, Danielle wrote:
Last year before the season started, I asked which team you guys thought had a good chance of coming out of the woodwork and surprising everyone to be a legitimate contender... or at least, a team that you suspected would do much better than anticipated. I picked the Kansas City Chiefs and was pretty wrong lol to say the least... they only won 2 games last year! However this year, when I answer the same question that I'm posing to you all again, I'm going to go ahead and pick the same team: Chiefs. I'm curious to see if anyone disagrees before making my case. They're currently ranked 22/36. I think they'll finish around #14, which means they have a shot to make the playoffs if they win a good amount of games (the Broncos will win that division for sure). The Bucs are another team I've got my eye on.

On the other hand, the team I think might tank compared to expectations (as in ranked #15 or higher according to power rankings) are the Saints. They are currently ranked #14, but I don't think they have any shot at making the playoffs. The Saints are actually my favorite team outside of NY teams, so that's pretty disappointing for me (I love Drew Brees). However I don't think they deserve to be ranked that high. The Falcons will likely win that division and I don't see the Saints winning more than around 8 games next year for whatever reason. Maybe my hunch is off but that's my guess.

What team do you think will do a lot better than anticipated? Worse?

Saints are back in the saddle, I'm sorry to say. Payton is going to resume play calling, not that there was bad play calling last year, but just getting back to some normalcy will be a boost.

As we all know it is the Saints' defense that determines whether they make the play offs or not. I don't think there is a whole lot to say that changing their defense will amount to much, but then again one can't underestimate the psychological toll of what they went through last year and the chip they have to have on their shoulders. I hope i am wrong and they go 2-14.

Tampa? They had some brilliant games last year. Freeman, it is all up to what Freeman they get this year. With a more than adequate defense last year, I'm not certain what Revis brings to the mix. It is all about Josh and what he can do.

Greenbay has what could be the toughest road ahead.

They have San Fran, Baltimore, Cinci, & Giants on the road. Then Atlanta and Pittsburgh at home. If they let these games get away from them, they would have to be near perfect in the NFC North to do as good as they are projected. They can surely do it, but I think they can biff it too. Disclaimer, I'm honest to MN.

I'm calling a surprise showing for the Chargers. There is really not much to say about it. They really haven't done much to try to shore up the offensive line, and it is going into the third year since Rivers has shown he has the stuff. With that said they now have McCoy who got Orton up and running and completely revamped the offense for Tebow when Orton wasn't cutting it. Then he gets it back adjusted for Manning last year.

That is not easy to do, and I think that type of offensive mind is exactly what the Chargers need. Figure out how to get it done with what you have.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 10:19:35 PM
Greenbay has what could be the toughest road ahead.

They have San Fran, Baltimore, Cinci, & Giants on the road. Then Atlanta and Pittsburgh at home. If they let these games get away from them, they would have to be near perfect in the NFC North to do as good as they are projected. They can surely do it, but I think they can biff it too. Disclaimer, I'm honest to MN.

They've been near-perfect in the NFC North for three years now, so that shouldn't be a problem. The NFC North is pretty much helpless since Rodgers took over, just like what Brady did to the AFC East. This schedule is going to toughen them up much better than their last two seasons, getting the cream of the crop in the middle of the season instead of being shocked in the playoffs after easy rides.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.