Jump to topic:

Who will win the Super Bowl XLVIII

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 6:34:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Obviously the Green Bay Packers... everybody knows that.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2013 10:57:28 AM
At 8/20/2013 10:20:35 AM, Danielle wrote:
Niners.

Broncos over the Niners. My Darkhorse is the Texans. Nobody is paying that much attention to them.
Ashton
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2013 11:22:46 PM
At 8/20/2013 10:57:28 AM, birdlandmemories wrote:
At 8/20/2013 10:20:35 AM, Danielle wrote:
Niners.

Broncos over the Niners. My Darkhorse is the Texans. Nobody is paying that much attention to them.

Probably because of that end of season collapse they had last year.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 8:36:42 AM
It looks like the Broncos backups are crap. They've got a few big names but in football it's the little guys that make or break you...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
desertdawg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 1:44:09 PM
I'm picking the Broncos. Manning is hungry for another ring.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. -Jimi Hendrix-
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 4:19:45 PM
At 8/21/2013 1:44:09 PM, desertdawg wrote:
I'm picking the Broncos. Manning is hungry for another ring.

I agree, and I think even without Miller their defense can get it done. They will easily won their division, and Manning is experienced in the playoffs - plus Miller will be back by then. The other AFC division winners will likely be the Pats, Ravens and Texans. I think the Broncos could beat all of those teams (especially if the Texans are without Foster). I predict they're headed to the Bowl, maybe vs. the Niners, so we'll see what happens there.
President of DDO
desertdawg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 5:20:49 PM
At 8/19/2013 6:59:53 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Bills, duh.
Bills vs. Cardinals
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. -Jimi Hendrix-
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 6:10:09 PM
Here is my entire predicted playoff outcome:

Wildcard Round

NFC

Redskins(24) V Cardinals(20)

49ers(31) V Saints(20)

AFC

Browns(10) V Colts(21)

Patriots(24) V Chiefs(14)

Divisional

NFC

Redskins(28) V Falcons(20)

49ers(24) V Packers(35)

AFC

Broncos(31) V Patriots(28)

Texans(20) V Colts(10)

Championships

NFC

Redkins(28) V Packers(24)

AFC

Texans(17) V Broncos(7)

Super Bowl

Redskins(10) V Texans(24)

Honestly I see the Texans Defense doing just rediculously this year. With Brian Cushing returning, and the addition of Ed Reed, it's going to turn what was already a really solid defense last year, into a turnover machine.

The reason why I pick the Redskins in the Super Bowl is a pure homer pick. It is a somewhat realistic homer pick though. If RG3 comes back 100%, and all signs are seeming to indicate that he will, then the Redskins are going to have one of the most powerful offenses in the league, along with a Defense that, with Brian Orakpo returning, will be a brick wall against the run.

I don't see the 49ers getting a bye, but I do see both the 49ers and Cardinals making the playoff, with the 49ers winning the division with a 11-5 record, and the Cardinals squeezing into the playoff with a 10-6. But why not Seattle?! You might ask, because I think they will just miss out on the playoff this year. The Cardinals are going to have a resurgence, at least for this year. For the first time since Kurt Warner was playing, Fitzgerald will have a solid quarterback in Carson Palmer, and likewise, for the first time since having Chad Johnson in his prime, Carson Palmer will have Larry Fitzgerald in a premiere reciever. Their offense is going to be high-powered and a definitive threat for that alone. The Seahawks go 10-6 also, as the NFC West shows itself to be the strongest division in football, but through tiebreakers(The Cardinals have a better divisional record through beating the Seahawks twice) the Cardinals edge out the Seahawks for the wild card spot, along with the Saints edging them out too, by having just a better record.

The records of teams in the playoffs I see shaking out like this:

NFC

1- Falcons (14-2)
2- Packers (13-3)
3- 49ers (11-5)
4- Redkins (11-5)
5- Cardinals (10-6)
6- Saints (10-6)

The NFC South has two 10+ win teams, and the NFC West has three 10+ win teams. The Saints get into the playoff over the Seahawks, as I said due to a divisional tie-breaker. The only loss the Falcons suffer within their division is to the Saints, and the only losses the Saints suffer are to the falcons, and dropping one to what will likely be a 8-8 Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

AFC

1- Broncos(13-3)
2- Texans(12-4)
3- Patriots(12-4)[lose to Texans hence no first round bye]
4- Browns(9-7)
5- Colts(10-6)
6- Chiefs(10-6)

The AFC North turns into one of the weakest divisions in the AFC, as the Ravens drop off the grid for this year, the Steelers are found out to be too young of a team, and Roethlisberger just a tad past his time. The Browns are definitely a surging team within that division, and I see them just squeezing in. Especially as Brandon Weeden in the time he has played, has shown himself to be vastly improved. This makes the Browns passing game more of a threat, leading to teams playing more people in pass coverage, opening the field for Richardson to have an even better year than the previous, at least in terms of more yards per carry.

AFC West ends up as the strongest division in the AFC, with the Chargers barely missing out, the difference being dropping both games to the Chiefs, and ending up 9-7.

So yeah, it may be a bit early to be making predictions like this, but as of right now, this is how i see the playoff picture shaking out.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 6:12:05 PM
Broncos(31) V Colts(17)

Texans(20) V Patriots(17)

this was a mistake, patriots would play the Texans in the Divisional with the way I see the playoff picture panning out. Scores were adjusted for matchups.
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 9:01:57 PM
My Playoff bracket

Wild Card:

NFC: 3: Saints vs 6 Falcons, 4: Redskins vs 5: Seahawks

Saints win 27-24. Redskins win 20-14

AFC: 3: Patriots vs 6: Colts, 4: Bengals vs 5: Ravens.

Patroits win 31-14. Bengals win 17-13

Divisional round:

NFC: 1: 49ers vs 4: Redskins, 2: Packers vs 3: Saints.

49ers win 34-10. Packers win 24-20

AFC: 1: Broncos vs 4: Bengals, 2: Texans vs 3: Patriots.

Broncos win 41-10, Patriots win 34-31 (ot)

Championship games:

NFC: 49ers vs Packers

49ers win 34-24

AFC: Broncos vs Patriots.

Broncos win 35-24

Super bowl XLVIII

Broncos vs 49ers

Broncos win 28-24.

Do you all agree or disagree?
Ashton
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 10:23:13 PM
At 8/21/2013 6:10:09 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

So yeah, it may be a bit early to be making predictions like this, but as of right now, this is how i see the playoff picture shaking out.

You may need therapy. :)
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 10:46:07 PM
At 8/21/2013 10:23:13 PM, USAPitBull63 wrote:
At 8/21/2013 6:10:09 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

You may need therapy. :)

the homer pick, i know XD

but hey, gotta show my support, and honestly, the stats are there from last season to somewhat support it:

Yards per play: 1st in the NFL
Rushing Yard per Game: 1st in the NFL

Robert Griffin III was 1st in the NFL for passing yards per pass, and 1st for yards per rush

Alred Morris broke the single-season rookie rushing record

Their offense is there, and with Fred Davis coming back, will be even more explosive. Its really their defense that is the big question mark:

28th overall in total defense
30th in passing yards
31st in passing td's
last in third down conversions

22nd in points per game allowed
24th in interceptions

BUT

5th overall in rushing defense
5th overall in total takeaways

Their losses were for the most part attributed to stupid penalties in late game situations, most notably josh morgans utterly stupid unsportsmanlike conduct against the rams in week 2.

Their losses were:

Week 2: 31-28 against the Rams
Week 3: 38-31 against the Bengals
Week 4: 24-17 against the Falcons
Week 7: 27-23 against the Giants
Week 8: 27-12 against the Steelers
Week 9: 21-13 against the Panthers

in only one of those games did the Redskins lose by 10+ more points, and in all of them they gave up 21+ points. As compared to their stretch Week 11-17:

Forgetting of course that the Redskins were missing Brian Orakpo for the entirety of the season, and Adam Carriker for most of it, you can understand that even without those cornerstones on defense, they still did great against the running game. They should do so much better this year. Imagine top 3, and highly probable to be the top rated run D in the league.

The biggest question mark is their pass defense, and if their pass defense can do just average(15-20th in the league) they will be a scary scary team.
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 1:04:20 AM
At 8/21/2013 10:46:07 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

Which rookie rushing record did he break?

If you mean the single season rookie rushing yard mark, Eric Dickerson is still very proud of his rookie mark of 1808... Which is a rookie RB record I don't see being broken any time soon.

George Rogers also ran for more than Morris in his rookie year with 1674...

But 3rd most rushing yards ever by a rookie aint bad. (1613, which actually would have led the league in rushing yards 2 seasons ago when MJD led it with 1606)
Debate.org Moderator
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 1:12:31 AM
At 8/22/2013 1:04:20 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 8/21/2013 10:46:07 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

Which rookie rushing record did he break?

If you mean the single season rookie rushing yard mark, Eric Dickerson is still very proud of his rookie mark of 1808... Which is a rookie RB record I don't see being broken any time soon.

George Rogers also ran for more than Morris in his rookie year with 1674...

But 3rd most rushing yards ever by a rookie aint bad. (1613, which actually would have led the league in rushing yards 2 seasons ago when MJD led it with 1606)

Should have clarified, franchise records senor. Impressive stat memory btw
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 7:20:31 AM
Buddamoose lol... no.

You really think the CARDINALS are better than the Seahawks? While Carson Palmer isn't necessarily a scrub (think Mark Sanchez...) he's most definitely no elite QB. Not even close. Out of 32 starters I'd rank him around #25 lol. In fact I think Alex Smith is a better QB than him (regardless of what the stats might say).

Larry Fitzgerald is a great receiver, but he's not top 10. ESPN has him ranked at 11 whereas in my book he's more or less around #15. The point is that even if he had a top 5 QB, Fitz wouldn't necessarily EXPLODE or go off, but he doesn't even come close to having a top QB now. Not to mention the Cardinals have hardly ANY other receiving options. Isn't their next best receiver ranked somewhere like #44? Compare that to a team like the Falcons who have White and Jones to take the heat off each other, or any of the receiving options on the Packers, or the Saints who can pass to a lot of people including a super active TE and great pass-catcher in Sproles, etc. Fitz is going to be covered every time, so I don't expect huge things from him, and certainly not the Cardinals in general.

You REALLY think Arizona has a better chance of making it to the playoffs than the Hawks? The Seahawks have arguably the second-best running back in the league, WIlson who is a better QB than Palmer, and deeper receivers than the Cardinals. The Hawks also have the #1 ranked defense, a spirited coach, and a chip on their shoulder from a recent playoff loss plus a ton of momentum. Is it possible they miss the playoffs this year? Sure, if the Niners win that division and the Hawks don't win enough to get a WC spot, then yeah, it's possible. But probable? No. Not at all. I see them getting the WC but even if they don't, the CARDINALS certainly will not be the ones to take it from them

...in my humble opinion.

And as for the Skins, the thing about the NFC East (unfortunately for me, a Giants fan) is that it's one of the strongest divisions. Everybdoy knows the Patriots are going to take the AFC East, but the NFC East is always a toss-up. It seems the G-Men and the Cowboys are always evenly matched in terms of on paper talent. The Skins have certainly improved their roster, and the Eagles have been a consistent threat every year except for maybe the last 2. While I don't see them going off this season, with a healthy and hungry Vick it's certainly possible. Their offense is decent (and they have a new offensive-minded coach) if their defense can keep it together. So the birds are always somewhere in the mix, unless they completely blow it early on. Even still there are 3 good and hungry teams in that division. Any of them can take it away.

Right now I'd say the Skins are poised to win that division, but the Cowboys might surprise you. I'm worried about the Giants because our defense is unhealthy, and our offense is consistent but not explosive (save for Victor Cruz who is now very much covered after his breakout season 2 years ago). We're average but disciplined. The Cowboys want it bad and will put up a hell of a fight.

Even if the Skins make it to the playoffs, they're not going to the Bowl. There are so many teams in the NFC better than them in my opinion, like the Falcons, Niners, Hawks, perhaps the Packers and Saints who you can't really discount, and MAYBE even the Bucs. That's a big maybe, but still.
President of DDO
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 9:22:28 AM
At 8/19/2013 6:34:18 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

They'll have a tough time with the 49ers.
Ashton
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 10:50:14 AM
At 8/22/2013 9:22:28 AM, birdlandmemories wrote:
At 8/19/2013 6:34:18 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

They'll have a tough time with the 49ers.

We'll see about that in two weeks here...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 11:03:30 AM
At 8/22/2013 7:25:04 AM, Danielle wrote:
If Percy Harvin were healthy, I'd pick the Hawks to win it all.

I second that. I have to say, I have never seen anyone who can accelerate like Percy can. In the first half of the year last year, he would get the ball and then before you can blink he was shooting through gaps.

All the commentary guys say that good running back will take that split second to see how the blocks are developing in front them, then turn it on.

Percy caught most his balls last year close the line of scrimmage and had the best after catch yardage. As soon as he secured the ball, he didn't pause for anything. Like a watermelon seed he would just squirt out of the the tightest spots. He amazed me.

Sad to see him go, but if Seattle can harness that firecracker they will only be a better team.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 11:13:30 AM
At 8/22/2013 7:20:31 AM, Danielle wrote:

And as for the Skins, the thing about the NFC East (unfortunately for me, a Giants fan) is that it's one of the strongest divisions.

I would put the NFC West, North, & South ahead of the East. This might be the year they break out. Robert Griffin needs to be healthy. The Eagles need to show they can do what they are doing in pre-season throughout the year and Dallas needs to break the chains of mediocrity. Until then they are the in the basement of the NFC.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 11:53:13 AM
At 8/22/2013 11:13:30 AM, slo1 wrote:
I would put the NFC West, North, & South ahead of the East. This might be the year they break out. Robert Griffin needs to be healthy. The Eagles need to show they can do what they are doing in pre-season throughout the year and Dallas needs to break the chains of mediocrity. Until then they are the in the basement of the NFC.

What I meant was that it's hard to pick or guess about a sure fire division winner in most other divisions, though admittedly that might not be true anymore this year in the NFC. In the AFC, I think it's pretty simple: Patriots, Broncos, Ravens and Texans seem like sure things to win their divisions. I would guess the WC spots go to the Colts and... Bengals? In the NFC, I guess the Packers, Falcons and Niners. I think the WC spots go to the Seahawks and Saints, or second place NFC East team. I dunno who will win the East though. I already said the Eagles probably not so much this year, but I think it's a true battle between the other three teams. I'm not saying they are the BEST division. I'm saying it's a harder time to predict their division winner, IMO.
President of DDO
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 11:59:34 AM
At 8/22/2013 11:53:13 AM, Danielle wrote:

What I meant was that it's hard to pick or guess about a sure fire division winner in most other divisions, though admittedly that might not be true anymore this year in the NFC. In the AFC, I think it's pretty simple: Patriots, Broncos, Ravens and Texans seem like sure things to win their divisions. I would guess the WC spots go to the Colts and... Bengals? In the NFC, I guess the Packers, Falcons and Niners. I think the WC spots go to the Seahawks and Saints, or second place NFC East team. I dunno who will win the East though. I already said the Eagles probably not so much this year, but I think it's a true battle between the other three teams. I'm not saying they are the BEST division. I'm saying it's a harder time to predict their division winner, IMO.

Gotcha. I completely agree with that. it is anyone's division to win.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 2:55:20 PM
At 8/22/2013 7:20:31 AM, Danielle wrote:
Buddamoose lol... no.

You really think the CARDINALS are better than the Seahawks?

They definitely have the potential to be right now

While Carson Palmer isn't necessarily a scrub (think Mark Sanchez...)

no...just...no Carson Palmer is leagues away from Mark Sanchez, LEAGUES AWAY. Has sanchez ever thrown for over 4,000 yards and 28 TD's with only 12 ints? Has he?

No, I didn't think so...

Keeping in mind, what other threats besides Chad Johnson did the Bengals truly have in their recieving core those years in Cincinnati that Palmer was actually performing pretty dang good, along with Johnson? Houshmanzedah? Meh.

he's most definitely no elite QB. Not even close.

wasn't saying he was an "elite QB" Arguably Kurt Warner the year the Cardinals went to the Super Bowl was not an elite QB at the time like he was those years in St. Louis. He was aged, he was still good, but not elite. Carson Palmer is much in that same category now.

Out of 32 starters I'd rank him around #25 lol. In fact I think Alex Smith is a better QB than him (regardless of what the stats might say).

Alex Smith has had the benefit of a stacked offense in the 49ers throughout the past few seasons. The Chiefs are nowhere near as stacked an offense, but still pretty good. I expect Smith to perform well, but Palmer undoubtedly to me will have a far superior season.

Larry Fitzgerald is a great receiver, but he's not top 10. ESPN has him ranked at 11 whereas in my book he's more or less around #15. The point is that even if he had a top 5 QB, Fitz wouldn't necessarily EXPLODE or go off, but he doesn't even come close to having a top QB now.

2007, 2008, 2009, years that Fitzgerald had a good QB throwing to him, he did:

1,409 yds 10 TD
1,431 yds 12 TD
1,092 yds 13 TD

respectivly. In 10', 11', and 12' he had a signifigant drop off. But really, be honest here, what has the Cardinals QB situation been those years? Absolutely freakin horrid. Carson Palmer is a big step up from that.

Not to mention the Cardinals have hardly ANY other receiving options. Isn't their next best receiver ranked somewhere like #44?

Yes but its young talent, that hasn't really had the chance to flourish with a QB that is even so much as less than laughable. John Skelton... JOHN FREAKIN SKELTON... Kevin Kolb?!?!!?! Kevin lmfao Kolb. Fitzgerald is one of the best recievers to grace the NFL with his presence, its so sad that throughout much of his career he has had absolute scrubs for QB's, and people like you don't have the awareness to realize that the years he had a good QB, he was freakin electrifying.

Andre Johnson consistently gets double teamed. He still performs. Fitzy was getting double teamed those years with Kurt Warner, even with Anquan Boldin. He still performed. All it really takes is for one of the recievers on the Cardinals to step up and have a decent season. That reciever I'm looking to do that isn't Floyd, it is Andre Roberts. Take the first week of the preseason as an example... Remember that beauty of a pass from Palmer to Roberts? I do, and I know that is something that is bound to be repeated. Why? Because hey, if Fitzy is gettin covered as much as you say, that opens up single coverage, lack of safeties covering deep, etc. on other parts of the field.

Compare that to a team like the Falcons who have White and Jones to take the heat off each other, or any of the receiving options on the Packers, or the Saints who can pass to a lot of people including a super active TE and great pass-catcher in Sproles, etc. Fitz is going to be covered every time, so I don't expect huge things from him, and certainly not the Cardinals in general.

We shall see Danielle, we shall see ;)

You REALLY think Arizona has a better chance of making it to the playoffs than the Hawks? The Seahawks have arguably the second-best running back in the league, WIlson who is a better QB than Palmer, and deeper receivers than the Cardinals. The Hawks also have the #1 ranked defense, a spirited coach, and a chip on their shoulder from a recent playoff loss plus a ton of momentum. Is it possible they miss the playoffs this year? Sure, if the Niners win that division and the Hawks don't win enough to get a WC spot, then yeah, it's possible. But probable? No. Not at all. I see them getting the WC but even if they don't, the CARDINALS certainly will not be the ones to take it from them

...in my humble opinion.

and that opinion is a solid one. We shall agree to disagree then ;)

And as for the Skins, the thing about the NFC East (unfortunately for me, a Giants fan) is that it's one of the strongest divisions. Everybdoy knows the Patriots are going to take the AFC East, but the NFC East is always a toss-up. It seems the G-Men and the Cowboys are always evenly matched in terms of on paper talent. The Skins have certainly improved their roster, and the Eagles have been a consistent threat every year except for maybe the last 2. While I don't see them going off this season, with a healthy and hungry Vick it's certainly possible. Their offense is decent (and they have a new offensive-minded coach) if their defense can keep it together. So the birds are always somewhere in the mix, unless they completely blow it early on. Even still there are 3 good and hungry teams in that division. Any of them can take it away.

Right now I'd say the Skins are poised to win that division, but the Cowboys might surprise you. I'm worried about the Giants because our defense is unhealthy, and our offense is consistent but not explosive (save for Victor Cruz who is now very much covered after his breakout season 2 years ago). We're average but disciplined. The Cowboys want it bad and will put up a hell of a fight.

I would see the Cowboys having the best chance to, "take the division away" from the Redkins. Romo knows he needs to step up and prove he deserves that contract. DeMarco Murray knows that he can't follow up his rather poor season last year, with another one similar. Demarcus Ware comes back healthy on defense, along with multiple other starters. I see the Cowboys as having the best chance to steal that spot away, if you will.

The Giants could, but its improbable given the current shape of their defense imo.

Even if the Skins make it to the playoffs, they're not going to the Bowl. There are so many teams in the NFC better than them in my opinion, like the Falcons, Niners, Hawks, perhaps the Packers and Saints who you can't really discount, and MAYBE even the Bucs. That's a big maybe, but still.

Offensively you are wholly incorrect. Defensively there are plenty of other teams better than the Skins'. But you can't really feasibly say that the Redskins as it stands, likely have one of the best offenses in the NFC, heck, the league period. Defense wins championships though, and that is the one thing the Redskins need to show they can follow up on. Their defense was pretty dang solid through their win streak ending the season, and if they can keep up that pace, and heck, even improve it somewhat, they are a dangerous freakin team, that highly plausibly keeps up and even can beat all those teams you mentioned, a majority of the time.

this is of course all my opinion, and we can agree to disagree, but it is plausible, more so plausible then most teams, that the redskins could make it to the Super Bowl.
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 3:38:08 PM
At 8/22/2013 11:53:13 AM, Danielle wrote:

The 49ers are poised to win the next Super Bowl if anything. The runners up are definitely the Patriots and the Falcons since they are always a heartbeat away from winning it all. =)
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2013 8:46:18 AM
Budda - you make some really solid points. In terms of the Palmer vs. Smith debate, I'm sure you're right that Palmer on paper is the better QB. To be fair, I haven't followed any of Palmer's career. At all. In fact I'm not even sure I've ever seen him throw the football lol (okay I'm sure I have, but I don't remember it). I never really followed the Bengals.

I suppose it comes down to Palmer's veteran experience vs. Smith's chip on his shoulder (who has more to lose - age vs. pride), and of course what their respective teams bring to the table. I agree with you about Andre Roberts' potential to step up. I think the Chiefs are overall better than the Cardinals though, but either way neither of them seem to have a realistic chance to get very far this year.

However I am a big believer in "you just never know" with the NFL. Theoretically all of these men are phenomenally talented, and football is based on plays... and mistakes. Points are the result of mistakes - mismatches, failed assignments, not predicting or making the right play, etc. in addition to individual player's talents of course. But all of those men are strong and able-bodied and have been playing for a long time, and heck made it to the pros. So they're good. All it takes is one mistake and someone can put extra points on the board, which is why I think the game is so exciting because even an on-paper horrible team can win (if they have the confidence). I remember 2 years ago when out of nowhere the Chiefs won like the first 7 games in a row lol (then fell apart).

Anyway. You're also probably right about Fitzy being underrated. I haven't followed him much admittedly either, but I've heard great things, and the numbers speak for themselves. My point though is that even though he might be really good, it doesn't mean their team will necessarily go far. A comparable example might be Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler. They rival Palmer and Fitzgerald in terms of equal talent yet the Bears, who have a much stronger run game and defense, haven't come close to winning the championship recently.

I agree that the Cowboys could take it from the Skins. Us Giants fans have a lot to worry about, but I never fear an all-out TERRIBLE season. The G-Men were in the exact same boat two years ago, and went on to win the Superbowl after an incredible late-season run, winning a ton of games on the road against super hard teams in bad conditions against highly unfavorable odds. So again... you never know :)

I think you are overrating the Skins though. You REALLY think they have one of the top offenses in the league? Nay nay. Teams with better offenses: Giants, Texans, Patriots, Niners, Seahawks, Saints, Broncos, Falcons and Packers, and SOME (not me) might even argue the Colts, Ravens, Bears, Cowboys and Lions though I think that's a stretch. I would rank the Skins as the #10-12 offense, depending on RG3 (and if his health suffers, forget about it). Either way their defense isn't stellar. They have a great shot at the playoffs but after that I'm not sure what we can realistically expect this year. If they had a huge breakout receiver or defensive player, it'd be a different story. But this story doesn't end with a Redskins championship in 2014 :P
President of DDO