Jump to topic:

College Football Shakeup *

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2013 1:12:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Well. This past weekend in college football has been quite entertaining indeed ! You thought last week was odd when all of those SEC teams were in the top 10. Needless to say that there has been a major shift in the rankings as of lately. Check out the site below for the latest. What do you think DDO ? Should Florida State really be at the 2nd spot and not Oregon. This is strange.

http://espn.go.com...
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2013 1:17:04 PM
At 10/21/2013 1:12:47 PM, inferno wrote:
Well. This past weekend in college football has been quite entertaining indeed ! You thought last week was odd when all of those SEC teams were in the top 10. Needless to say that there has been a major shift in the rankings as of lately. Check out the site below for the latest. What do you think DDO ? Should Florida State really be at the 2nd spot and not Oregon. This is strange.

birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2013 6:34:21 PM

I think that Florida State is good, but I think Oregon is better. Right now, Florida State has wins over Maryland and Clemson by a combined 114-14. Oregon doesn't have a win that matches Clemson, but does have many opprotunities with games against UCLA, Stanford, and Oregon State. They possibly could be in the Pac 12 championship against UCLA. Florida State does have Miami, and Virginia Tech, and possibly the ACC championhip, but Oregon does have more quality opponents left on their achedule, which means that Oregon will most likely be in the championship game if both go undefeated. Missouri has been a very suprising team. After this weeks game against South Carolina, I don't know if there is a team good enough on their chedule to beat them. If they do end up in the SEC championship, they would most likely face Alabama, who they would be a large underdog against. Baylor is a good team, but they have not faced the toughest part of their schedule yet, and their best win is at Kansas State, who is not that good a team.
Ashton
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2013 8:54:05 AM
At 10/21/2013 6:34:21 PM, birdlandmemories wrote:

I think that Florida State is good, but I think Oregon is better. Right now, Florida State has wins over Maryland and Clemson by a combined 114-14. Oregon doesn't have a win that matches Clemson, but does have many opprotunities with games against UCLA, Stanford, and Oregon State. They possibly could be in the Pac 12 championship against UCLA. Florida State does have Miami, and Virginia Tech, and possibly the ACC championhip, but Oregon does have more quality opponents left on their achedule, which means that Oregon will most likely be in the championship game if both go undefeated. Missouri has been a very suprising team. After this weeks game against South Carolina, I don't know if there is a team good enough on their chedule to beat them. If they do end up in the SEC championship, they would most likely face Alabama, who they would be a large underdog against. Baylor is a good team, but they have not faced the toughest part of their schedule yet, and their best win is at Kansas State, who is not that good a team.

Florida States quarterback is a prodigy. But he will end up like Johnny from Texas A&M. An ego that will soon be shattered by a fall. Once people figure out the Noles, they wont be so tough anymore. =)
TriplesAlley421
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2013 12:12:53 PM
Personally, I think the SEC is way overrated. Take a look at Alabama's schedule. After Texas A&m, LSU and even Auburn, their level of competition really drops off. When they get to schedule non-conference teams like Georgia State, Chattanooga, and Colorado State, it makes your team look so much better because you seem to be winning every game 63-0. Even their SEC schedule, they get to avoid all the good teams in the east such as Florida, UGA, Vanderbilt, and South Carolina. The SEC is good, no doubt, but I think they are no longer the top conference.

For that we must go out west where you find the conference with the most depth top to bottom. Every single Pac 12 team outside of Cal and Colorado is a good team, and even Cal's losses have come to teams like Northwestern, Ohio State, and Oregon while also having a freshman QB who is top 10 in yards. If you look at teams like Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, Washington, Arizona State, Oregon State, USC, Utah, and Arizona all have at least a winning record and 11 of 12 teams will likely be bowl eligible.

The schedule is just much tougher in the Pac 12 because A) there is just more depth n the conference, and B) there is less wimpy non conference scheduling. If you look at a team like USC who scheduled a tough Utah State team, Notre Dame, and BC or like Cal who played Northwestern and Ohio State or Arizona State playing Notre Dame and Wisconsin, you can clearly see there is much less lame nonconference opponents.

This is why I think the Pac 12 is college football's premier conference.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2013 4:12:51 PM
At 10/23/2013 12:12:53 PM, TriplesAlley421 wrote:
Personally, I think the SEC is way overrated. Take a look at Alabama's schedule. After Texas A&m, LSU and even Auburn, their level of competition really drops off. When they get to schedule non-conference teams like Georgia State, Chattanooga, and Colorado State, it makes your team look so much better because you seem to be winning every game 63-0. Even their SEC schedule, they get to avoid all the good teams in the east such as Florida, UGA, Vanderbilt, and South Carolina. The SEC is good, no doubt, but I think they are no longer the top conference.

For that we must go out west where you find the conference with the most depth top to bottom. Every single Pac 12 team outside of Cal and Colorado is a good team, and even Cal's losses have come to teams like Northwestern, Ohio State, and Oregon while also having a freshman QB who is top 10 in yards. If you look at teams like Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, Washington, Arizona State, Oregon State, USC, Utah, and Arizona all have at least a winning record and 11 of 12 teams will likely be bowl eligible.

The schedule is just much tougher in the Pac 12 because A) there is just more depth n the conference, and B) there is less wimpy non conference scheduling. If you look at a team like USC who scheduled a tough Utah State team, Notre Dame, and BC or like Cal who played Northwestern and Ohio State or Arizona State playing Notre Dame and Wisconsin, you can clearly see there is much less lame nonconference opponents.

This is why I think the Pac 12 is college football's premier conference.

The PAC-12 is good. But this is where you are wrong. Every single solitary team that has faced an SEC opponent during the BCS game has lost !
Now the SEC roster as it stands today is still better than average. Which means that all else is highly inferior. Outer conference school victories do not matter because you still have yet to beat the top dogs in that league. Dont forget about Auburn,South Carolina, and LSU. Georgia has some serious injuries so this is irrevelent for them. You cannot count them in for now. I do believe that Texas AM and Mizz are formidable. But they too will start falling off once they deal with the dynamics of an SEC season matinee. This year is no different. Mizz will soon find out if and when they play Bama. =)
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2013 12:49:43 AM
This season, let us compare how the divisions stacked up going out of their divisions.

The Pac-12 and SEC only faced each other twice this season and are split 1 - 1. Against other FBS (minus their 1-1 face offs with each other) teams, the Pac-12 is 14 - 3 (82.4% winning) and the SEC is 23 - 6 (79.3% winning). You may argue that it is only a minor difference. However, the Pac-12 is 3 - 3 against non-conference ranked teams, while the SEC is only 1 - 4 against NC ranked teams. Adding to that, the SEC does more out of conference games and has more teams, they've placed 42 non-conference games to the Pac-12's 29, yet the Pac-12 has played more ranked teams (and done better against them).

The division as a whole, the Pac-12 is stronger. I'd take the bottom 4 Pac-12 teams over the bottom 4 SEC teams. When the end of the season comes around, we'll hopefully see who has the better top teams (I'd love for their to be 3 to 5 Pac-12 vs SEC bowl games this year).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2013 11:27:41 AM
At 10/24/2013 12:49:43 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
This season, let us compare how the divisions stacked up going out of their divisions.

The Pac-12 and SEC only faced each other twice this season and are split 1 - 1. Against other FBS (minus their 1-1 face offs with each other) teams, the Pac-12 is 14 - 3 (82.4% winning) and the SEC is 23 - 6 (79.3% winning). You may argue that it is only a minor difference. However, the Pac-12 is 3 - 3 against non-conference ranked teams, while the SEC is only 1 - 4 against NC ranked teams. Adding to that, the SEC does more out of conference games and has more teams, they've placed 42 non-conference games to the Pac-12's 29, yet the Pac-12 has played more ranked teams (and done better against them).

The division as a whole, the Pac-12 is stronger. I'd take the bottom 4 Pac-12 teams over the bottom 4 SEC teams. When the end of the season comes around, we'll hopefully see who has the better top teams (I'd love for their to be 3 to 5 Pac-12 vs SEC bowl games this year).

Okay time for a reality check.

Ole Mississippi bowl wins versus:
2008 Texas Tech 47-34
2009 Oklahoma State 21-17
2012 Pittsburgh 38-17

Auburn bowl wins vs Oregon 22-19 (Championship Game)

South Carolina bowl wins versus:
2012 Nebraska 30-13
2013 Michigan 33-28

Tennesse bowl wins versus:
2008 Wisconsin 21-17

Kentucky bowl wins versus:
2007 Florida State* 35-28

LSU bowl wins versus:
2005 Miami 40-3
2006 Notre Dame 41-14
2007 Ohio State 38-24 (Championship Game)
2008 Georgia Tech
2010 Texas Tech A&M 41-24

We wont talk about how dominant Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and Mississipi State have been in their big games when it counts. If you cant beat us when it counts, then youre not saying much. Okay. =)
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2013 4:43:20 PM
Alabama has an easy path to the title game. The SEC is weaker this year, and they got past all their tough games, excwpt LSU. Whoever they play in the SEC championship game they should beat easily.
Ashton
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2013 7:25:13 PM
At 10/24/2013 11:27:41 AM, inferno wrote:

2008 Texas Tech 47-34
2012 Pittsburgh 38-17

2012 Nebraska 30-13
2013 Michigan 33-28

2008 Wisconsin 21-17

LSU bowl wins versus:
2005 Miami 40-3
2006 Notre Dame 41-14
2008 Georgia Tech

We wont talk about how dominant Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and Mississipi State have been in their big games when it counts. If you cant beat us when it counts, then youre not saying much. Okay. =)

None of the players on those 05, 06, 07, 08 teams are playing today, so those are pointless. Since college has a 4 year turn around (often only 2 or 3 for better players) going into history is pointless.

The truth is that this year, with these players, the SEC has 1 win and 4 losses against ranked teams outside of their conference, and they more often avoid real opponents (with only 5 ranked out of 42 NC games, compared to the Pac12's 6 out of 29 NC games).
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 10:41:13 AM
At 10/24/2013 7:25:13 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 10/24/2013 11:27:41 AM, inferno wrote:

2008 Texas Tech 47-34
2012 Pittsburgh 38-17

2012 Nebraska 30-13
2013 Michigan 33-28

2008 Wisconsin 21-17

LSU bowl wins versus:
2005 Miami 40-3
2006 Notre Dame 41-14
2008 Georgia Tech

None of the players on those 05, 06, 07, 08 teams are playing today, so those are pointless. Since college has a 4 year turn around (often only 2 or 3 for better players) going into history is pointless.

The truth is that this year, with these players, the SEC has 1 win and 4 losses against ranked teams outside of their conference, and they more often avoid real opponents (with only 5 ranked out of 42 NC games, compared to the Pac12's 6 out of 29 NC games).

That point is any team outside of the SEC cannot beat Alabama or any other SEC championship team in the big game. This will be the 8th straight time that the South Eastern Conference make an example out of you guys. And that is a fact. Deal with it. =)
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 10:42:04 AM
At 10/24/2013 4:43:20 PM, birdlandmemories wrote:
Alabama has an easy path to the title game. The SEC is weaker this year, and they got past all their tough games, excwpt LSU. Whoever they play in the SEC championship game they should beat easily.

The SEC may be weaker this year than last. However they are still better than most teams in the long run. Any more comments. =)
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 4:30:42 PM
At 10/25/2013 10:42:04 AM, inferno wrote:
At 10/24/2013 4:43:20 PM, birdlandmemories wrote:

The SEC may be weaker this year than last. However they are still better than most teams in the long run. Any more comments. =)

Well, I do agree that the SEC is better than most conferences, I think that this years SEC is weaker than last years. Last year, the SEC had a large amount of really good teams. Alabama, Georgia, Texas A&M and Florida were all in the top 10. This year, only 2 teams are in the top ten (Auburn is at number 11). The SEC does still have the best team though, and until their streak of championships ends, they are the best conference.
Ashton
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 12:43:55 AM
Oregon has jumped FSU. And next week, FSU will jump back (assuming they win), then Oregon will jump back again. And assuming no one loses, that is wear they will remain. Which is good. I'm more nervous about Oregon playing against FSU than against Alabama.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 10:05:40 AM
At 10/28/2013 12:43:55 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Oregon has jumped FSU. And next week, FSU will jump back (assuming they win), then Oregon will jump back again. And assuming no one loses, that is wear they will remain. Which is good. I'm more nervous about Oregon playing against FSU than against Alabama.

Alabama vs Notre Dame 42-14

And no that is not a misprint. Whether it ye be Alabama, LSU, Auburn, or Florida at the number one spot...............Not one outside conference team has beaten them in 7 long years. This year will be no different because this Alabama defense is as deadly as it was in 2012. Anybody who plays them in the National Championship game will be crushed. So please Oregon bring it on. We wont even talk about Florida State. =)
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 5:11:18 PM
Alabama is the SEC's final hope of an 8th consecutive championship. They have a good defense, but the only good offensive team they've faced was Texas A&M. And they gave up 42 points. They also don't have a tough schedule. Only LSU and A&M were/are tough games. Ole Miss was at home so I don't count that as a tough game. Oregon does have a better defense than A&M, so Alabama wouldn't score 49 points on them. FSU is really good offensively and defensively. I think Oregon is slightly better than FSU, but Stanford and Oregon State are still tough games for Oregon.
Ashton
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 9:06:43 PM
At 10/28/2013 10:05:40 AM, inferno wrote:

And no that is not a misprint. Whether it ye be Alabama, LSU, Auburn, or Florida at the number one spot...............Not one outside conference team has beaten them in 7 long years. This year will be no different because this Alabama defense is as deadly as it was in 2012. Anybody who plays them in the National Championship game will be crushed. So please Oregon bring it on. We wont even talk about Florida State. =)

Ore vs Ala

What spead do you give?
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 11:37:55 AM
At 10/28/2013 5:11:18 PM, birdlandmemories wrote:
Alabama is the SEC's final hope of an 8th consecutive championship. They have a good defense, but the only good offensive team they've faced was Texas A&M. And they gave up 42 points. They also don't have a tough schedule. Only LSU and A&M were/are tough games. Ole Miss was at home so I don't count that as a tough game. Oregon does have a better defense than A&M, so Alabama wouldn't score 49 points on them. FSU is really good offensively and defensively. I think Oregon is slightly better than FSU, but Stanford and Oregon State are still tough games for Oregon.

Texas AM also lost to Auburn, another big named SEC team...... Their spread offense is okay, but you can beat them with good man to man coverage. And not to mention of few good sacks on ole Johnny boy there.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 11:39:53 AM
At 10/28/2013 9:06:43 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 10/28/2013 10:05:40 AM, inferno wrote:

Ore vs Ala

What spead do you give?

I think Ore could take Alabama. =) By the way, what do you think about them South Carolina Gamecocks now that they overcame Mizz 27-24. (smiles) =)