Jump to topic:

Are the Jaguars really that bad?

Wren_cyborg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2013 10:14:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
They've scored the least amount of points of any team: 86 (2nd would beTampa Bay with 100). They've allowed the most points: 264 (2nd would be Washington with 229). That's a -178 point differential, with the Giants being the second worst at -82. The Jags have lost every one of their 8 games by double-digits. Is this team as bad as they seem?

Before we hold them over the flames, let's check their schedule.

Kansas City 8-0
Denver 7-1
Seattle 7-1
San Fran 6-2
Indianapolis 5-2

These are easily the five-best teams in the league right now.

San Diego 4-3
Oakland 3-4
St Louis 3-5

These teams aren't really that bad, especially considering that these teams' records reflect six games against the aforementioned list of top-5 elite teams. The Jaguars clearly have had the most difficult schedule any team could hope for up until this point. Until they sustain a loss to an actual bad team, it's hard to say that they are the worst team in the league.
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2013 4:07:06 PM
The Bucs are probably the worst team in terms of the games they've played and strength of schedule wise. The Jaguars are the worse talent wise. Honestly, I pretty impressed with the Jags this year. They did a terrific job against Denver and the coaching is prwtty good. They just don't have the talent to compete right now. They are heading in the right direction though.
The Bucs have been a big dissapointment. Schiano just isn't a good NFL coach. Revis has not been good either. And the quarterbacks have been realy unimpressive. I think if they had a better coaching staff, and with the talent of the team, they could easily be in the playoff hunt right now.
Ashton
Wren_cyborg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2013 5:33:28 PM
Yeah Revis said he still isn't 100% from the knee injury.

This just in - Justin Blackmon is suspended indefinitely. LOL!

http://espn.go.com...
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2013 5:38:53 PM
At 11/1/2013 5:33:28 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
Yeah Revis said he still isn't 100% from the knee injury.

This just in - Justin Blackmon is suspended indefinitely. LOL!

http://espn.go.com...

Wow. That really hurts the Jaguars chances at getting a win. They probably are going to finish winless now. Not that they weren't going to finish winless before.
Ashton
Wren_cyborg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2013 5:44:32 PM
Well, like I said, their schedule for the second half of the season is worlds apart from the first half:

Tennessee 3-4
Arizona 4-4
Houston 2-5
Cleveland 3-5
Houston 2-5
Buffalo 3-5
Tennessee 3-4
Indianapolis 5-2

With only one winning team left to play, you figure they'll catch somebody slipping at some point.
Wren_cyborg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2013 1:28:27 AM
At 11/3/2013 1:36:08 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Vegas has then currently as the worst team ever. Monday, a Vegas regular came on my sports radio (can't remember if it was ESPN or NBC Sports). They had it as if the 0-16 Lions played the Jags, the Lions would be a 2 point favorite.

I could accept them as the worst without Blackmon now, although you still have to admit you couldn't have constructed a harder schedule for them to play so far.

One thing to note is that the Jags have only covered the spread once, and that was still with a 19 point loss.

When they played Denver, it was a 28-point spread, the most in NFL history. Denver won 35-19... I'm not sure if that's the game you're referencing.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2013 1:36:08 AM
Vegas has then currently as the worst team ever. Monday, a Vegas regular came on my sports radio (can't remember if it was ESPN or NBC Sports). They had it as if the 0-16 Lions played the Jags, the Lions would be a 2 point favorite.

One thing to note is that the Jags have only covered the spread once, and that was still with a 19 point loss.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2013 1:38:26 AM
At 11/1/2013 5:44:32 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
Well, like I said, their schedule for the second half of the season is worlds apart from the first half:

Tennessee 3-4
Arizona 4-4
Houston 2-5
Cleveland 3-5
Houston 2-5
Buffalo 3-5
Tennessee 3-4
Indianapolis 5-2

With only one winning team left to play, you figure they'll catch somebody slipping at some point.

Their best chance is probably the Colts that last week. The Colts will likely be resting most of their key players getting ready for the playoffs.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2013 5:32:02 PM
At 11/3/2013 1:28:27 AM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
At 11/3/2013 1:36:08 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I could accept them as the worst without Blackmon now, although you still have to admit you couldn't have constructed a harder schedule for them to play so far.

When they played Denver, it was a 28-point spread, the most in NFL history. Denver won 35-19... I'm not sure if that's the game you're referencing.

Yes, sorry, they scored 19, not lost by 19. But still, that kind of spread would be ridiculous, even for many college games (outside of top ranked teams facing FCS teams).

Also, how about them Bucs?
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2013 5:37:18 PM
At 11/3/2013 5:32:02 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I'm stunned the Bucs are beating the Seahawks. Especialy with the game in Seattle, Seattle should be winning 38-0. Glennon is doing good today. Overall, the Bucs season has been a major dissapointment, especially with all the talent they have.
Ashton
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2013 6:06:25 PM
At 11/3/2013 5:37:18 PM, birdlandmemories wrote:

I'm stunned the Bucs are beating the Seahawks. Especialy with the game in Seattle, Seattle should be winning 38-0. Glennon is doing good today. Overall, the Bucs season has been a major dissapointment, especially with all the talent they have.

Seahawks managed to drag it into OT, but that is still a victory for the Bucs.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 6:21:08 PM
At 11/1/2013 4:07:06 PM, birdlandmemories wrote:
The Bucs have been a big dissapointment. Schiano just isn't a good NFL coach. Revis has not been good either. And the quarterbacks have been realy unimpressive. I think if they had a better coaching staff, and with the talent of the team, they could easily be in the playoff hunt right now.

I completely agree with this.

And yes, the Jags really ARE that bad.

The Jags will very likely not win any games this season with Blackmon out. They could only muster 6 points against the Chargers, 3 against the Colts, 9 against Oakland and 2 against Kansas City! That is abysmal. Their offense cannot get it together. They haven't scored more than 20 points in a single game - to the RAMS (who btw beat them by 2 touchdowns).

If I were the Jags, I would bring Tebow on board to rejuvenate the fan base and maybe make some money for the rest of the season for which they have absolutely no chance - not even a wing and a prayer. You might as well pull a publicity stunt and besides, their 2 scrub QBs Gabbert and Henne aren't superbly better than Tebow anyhow.

Meanwhile, they will obviously be drafting (or should be) Marcus Mariota next year. That's pretty much a given. Right now mock drafts have Manziel going at #28, the 4th QB after Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater (3) and LSU's Zach Mettenberger (14). I personally think Manziel should be going in Bridgewater's spot but meh. I do think Mariota would be the best fit for the Panthers (and Manziel to the Vikes).

As for the Bucs, I am sorely disappointed at their performance. I was pulling for Schiano given I'm a Rutgers girl. With Martin, he should have been able to implement more of his "ground and pound" philosophy; he coached Ray Rice there when I was a freshman. Revis' injury is disappointing. They obviously need a QB (I don't like Glannon, and perhaps the Bucs should even consider Manziel...? though mock drafts have them going with DE Jadeveon Clowne from South Carolina with the #2 pick. Hmm. I mean, that would certainly bolster their defense, but I think a QB could really make that team even more high powered considering Martin has the potential to be a huge star when healthy and WR's Vincent Jackson, Mike Williams and Tiquan Underwood have the potential to be *a lot* better with a better QB.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 6:50:16 PM
This is assuming that Mariota goes to the draft (or Manziel for that matter). Neither are seniors so they have the options. I can definitely see Manziel going (is he still doing the money sign when he scores?), though I'm not so sure about Mariota. However, I can see that if he takes the Heisman and a BCS title, there is little reason to stay in college (other than that thing called an education).
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 7:05:26 PM
Bryce Petty is interesting. He is a good QB, but he gets lots of help wqith the talent around him. If Petty does good in the next five games, he has a good chance at getting drafted high.
Ashton
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 7:05:58 PM
At 11/4/2013 6:51:00 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
This thursday will be a major factor in showing if Mariota is ready.

He is. He's better than a handful of starting QBs in the NFL. Plus a player could always go back to finish college later. It's overrated, and it's not like D1 athletes (especially guys like Mariota) are really learning and putting the majority of their focus on school work anyway. At that point the degree is just a piece of paper, not really an education. He needs a real world education because he's going to be a professional athlete, possibly the #1 draft pick :P
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 8:13:31 PM
At 11/4/2013 7:05:58 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 11/4/2013 6:51:00 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
This thursday will be a major factor in showing if Mariota is ready.

He is. He's better than a handful of starting QBs in the NFL. Plus a player could always go back to finish college later. It's overrated, and it's not like D1 athletes (especially guys like Mariota) are really learning and putting the majority of their focus on school work anyway. At that point the degree is just a piece of paper, not really an education. He needs a real world education because he's going to be a professional athlete, possibly the #1 draft pick :P

I'm not as sure. The Ducks have been a run power offense, so the QB role is less important. Mariota also rarely finishes games (largely due to the Ducks being major up in points, and not wanting to seem like douchbags, running up numbers). Heck, this season alone, the Ducks have 4 players (Mariota being one of them) that have at least 7 rushing TDs (and the guy with 7 has missed half the season so far).

So far this season, the Ducks have only been held to under 250 rushing yards once. They've faced 2 ranked teams and an SEC team and still, over 250 rushing yards in 7 out of 8 games (and that one under 250 was still a 216 yard game). In his career with the Ducks, he's only seen 2 games that they failed to rush 200 yards (and one was the loss to Stanford last year). By comparison, he's had 8 games that have had less than 200 passing yards.

You put a rushing offense like that up and any QB is going to look damn good. Of course, Mariota is a key part of that rush, but with all those amazing running backs, the defense if stuck in a hard spot. With an offense like the Jags, would Mariota really have anything close to that same success?

He is great, but I think that if he struggles again this Thursday, specifically through the air, he may not want to go this soon. Heck, before this saturday, I would have suggested that Manion with Oregon State would be a good QB fit for many teams. He is showing what he can do on a team with no rushing power and no solid talent (outside of Cooks).
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2013 6:44:58 AM
Dude! You are being ridiculous right now. Mariota is not overrated by any stretch of the imagination, even if the rushing offense he has is awesome. Like you said, he is part of that rushing offense (didn't he have a rushing TD for over 70 yards?). Him being taken out of the game because the Ducks are crushing their opponents is hardly an argument against him. He is not only READY for the NFL, but he will LIGHT UP the NFL. He's 19-1 in college so far, and that includes going up against really good teams and defenses. Yes, Stanford will be a test for sure, but even if he has an average night you can be sure that he is still a star.

You really think he can't throw the football?!

- He has already thrown for 2,281 yards and 20 touchdowns!
- (He's run for 587 yards and 9 touchdowns this season)
- He's completing 64 percent of his passes
- His throws average 16.67 yards per completion - insane
- He has the highest QBR in college football, a 96.6 out of 100
- He has 35 throws that went for 20+ yards
- He has speed, arm strength, accuracy, poise, good eyes, ball control and amazing legs
- And he has not thrown an interception! He holds the longest active streak of pass attempts without a pick. It also took him 8 weeks to even generate a turnover (fumble). In the NFL, it's all about protecting the football. He's ready.

I would say that he's a more poised version of Cam Newton with better eyes and accuracy. Like I said, he is better than a handful of starting QBs in the NFL. I would rather have Mariota be my QB over Geno Smith, Nick Foles, Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, Josh Freeman, Tarelle Pryor, Mike Glennon, Chad Henne, Brandon Weeden, EJ Manuel and Ryan Tannehill. It won't take longer than a season (if that) for him to adjust to the NFL much like Russel Wilson did and became a breakout star in the latter half of his first season. There is absolutely no reason for Mariota to stay in college at this point, especially if the Ducks make it to the BCS.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2013 7:08:47 AM
Ps. This is the first year I'm paying attention to college football. I still prefer the NFL but college is fun too.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2013 1:43:21 PM
But you can't ignore that a lot of that factor is that the Ducks have such a powerful run, that the passing game is open on every play. Linebackers have to play the run, safeties have to be aware of the run and that is going to make a lot of holes appear. I'm not saying that he isn't good or great, but I'd doubt that be is the most NFL ready QB going into the draft. Though I do think that be could stand to learn a bit more in College games, there is probably nothing more he can from the Ducks.

Though I would love to see him drafted by the Vikings and have him with AP for an offensive.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 6:26:02 PM
- Who do you think is more NFL ready? Manziel? The LSU dude?

- Who do you think would be the best fit for the Jags though? I still say Mariota
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 7:25:15 AM
Yes. Mariota is still the best college football QB, and as far as the Heisman is concerned, he is the most valuable to his team . He played against one of the best teams in the league (away) last night, throwing for 2 TD passes in the 4th quarter. Admittedly he was off for the first 3 quarters of the game, going 20 for 34 (but 250+ yards isn't bad). I don't think he was ready and I before the game even began I felt that Stanford would win; there was just a vibe. Stanford's defense controlled the line of scrimmage all game. He should have had more confidence. But yes, a mediocre performance against Stanford hurts his credentials. Still, who do you think is more NFL ready? Manziel? The LSU dude? I think all 3 of them need time to develop, but can succeed. I see Mariota as similar to Russel Wilson. Also, who do you think would be the best fit for the Jags though? You haven't answered. I still say Mariota. He would be interesting on the Vikings too, but the Jags could use him. I can't see Metzenberger (LSU kid... that's his name, right?) or Manziel fitting in with the Jags. Johnny Football might do well on the Vikings. Is there any speculation about what team he might end up on if he goes? Bucs maybe?
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 7:31:47 AM
It seems Mariota is out of the Heisman hunt after last night's performance, with Famous Jameis or Johnny Football likely to take it.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 10:08:26 AM
In all honesty, last night was not an issue with Mariota. While the offense did struggle and never got a run game going, it all ties back to oregons defense. They could not stop Stanford at all. But the time the 4th quarter begin, Oregon only had 5 pocessions. Thy work by wearing out defenses and Stanford was able to keep their defense rested and strong because their offense never stopped chugging along. They were something like 11 of 14 on 3rd downs.

I'll have to research more into the Jags.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 7:50:17 PM
At 11/3/2013 6:06:25 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/3/2013 5:37:18 PM, birdlandmemories wrote:

Seahawks managed to drag it into OT, but that is still a victory for the Bucs.

Dont I wish that were true, we dont know what a win is this year. They are going to fire schiano