Jump to topic:

Midseason Evaluations

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 7:04:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Heading into 2013, Bleacher Report listed the Jets as the worst team according to pre-season power rankings. It turns out the Jets are now listed at # 13 - woo! Go Jets. Their defense has been pretty solid. Geno Smith sucks but meh, will improve. I have a feeling he will be another Sanchez though. We still need to do a lot of rebuilding. I'm proud of the *chant* D-FENCE though.

The Vikings were supposed to be ranked somewhere in the middle at 14 or so , but they are at #30. The Steelers and Texans are also not on par with where they should be. With Schaub and Foster out however, it makes sense.

My NY Giants are at 27 instead of 15, right in the middle where they should be. Wah.

The Colts have been better than expected (the only team to really rile the Broncos, who I think are #1), and of course the Chiefs are ranked #1 though I DEFINITELY don't consider them the best team in the NFL by any means. However I did choose them as my dark horse team...

Perhaps the most shocking team is the demise of the Atlanta Falcons. WTF is going on in Georgia? Just injuries? They were projected at #4 and are now considered #29. I understand some set backs but their team seemed stacked enough to adjust. I guess not.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 8:19:47 PM
It has been quite a ride. I'm not sure how you can put the Chiefs as #1, even at 9 - 0. They failed to score an offensive touchdown against the Bills (er, go Bills?). And the Bills are running an injured backup QB to a not-too-good-to-begin-with rookie QB, so a good defensive showing is not super impressive.

Anyway, I am wondering which will be the last team to win, Jags or Bucs. But I am pissed (to bring fantasy football into this) that I cut Brady last week because he has been sucking, then he drops 33 points out of his butt.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 9:07:26 PM
TBH, wins are overrated in rankings. As a Pats fan (18-1) I can really say this.

I hate how people are glorifying the chiefs right now. I would bet against them in the first round of the postseason.
kfc
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 9:10:15 PM
At 11/4/2013 9:07:26 PM, Koopin wrote:
TBH, wins are overrated in rankings. As a Pats fan (18-1) I can really say this.

I hate how people are glorifying the chiefs right now. I would bet against them in the first round of the postseason.

KFC and I agree.

Chiefs are one and done. But you gota give it to them for the turn around.

Although I think wins are a pretty good metric for who the best teams are at the end of the season.
Debate.org Moderator
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 9:10:37 PM
Now I am going to be that fan and brag about how good his struggling team is.

The Patriots are so banged up it's ridiculous. Noobs everywhere. Welker is gone, hernandez is in jail, wilfork, Mayo, and a ton of others are hurt, but we are still getting the wins. I have no worries about the second half of the season, especially since Gronk and Amandola are back.
kfc
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 9:12:37 PM
At 11/4/2013 9:10:37 PM, Koopin wrote:

The Patriots are so banged up it's ridiculous. Noobs everywhere. Welker is gone, hernandez is in jail, wilfork, Mayo, and a ton of others are hurt, but we are still getting the wins. I have no worries about the second half of the season, especially since Gronk and Amandola are back.

You guys have some decent coach guy...

A HOF QB and coach can keep a team competitive (and even at the top of the league) in even the worst circumstances.
Debate.org Moderator
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 9:37:16 PM

The only thing the Patriots have banged up is a bunch of [insert some derogatory sex joke here, either about mothers, gays, or worse, New Yorkers].
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 9:40:58 PM
At 11/4/2013 9:37:16 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

The only thing the Patriots have banged up is a bunch of [insert some derogatory sex joke here, either about mothers, gays, or worse, New Yorkers].

oh wait...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 9:59:04 PM
At 11/4/2013 9:49:33 PM, Koopin wrote:
I'm glad I'm not a falcons fan. People down here are crying.

That whole area is doing crude. Atlanta, Jacksonville, Tampa Bay, Miami is the only bright spot and it is getting horrible publicity right now and will start to go downhill with the suspension of incognito (is that really his last name? he didn't change it to sound cool?).
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 10:02:49 PM
At 11/4/2013 9:59:04 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/4/2013 9:49:33 PM, Koopin wrote:
I'm glad I'm not a falcons fan. People down here are crying.

That whole area is doing crude. Atlanta, Jacksonville, Tampa Bay, Miami is the only bright spot and it is getting horrible publicity right now and will start to go downhill with the suspension of incognito (is that really his last name? he didn't change it to sound cool?).

Atlanta sports have been a joke for the past decade man. I am not a fan of the Falcons, but I cheer for every other GA team. But I never hope for anything more than an average season.
kfc
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 10:18:52 PM
If the Colts could get another receiver who can catch the ball they'd be sitting pretty right now.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 10:22:12 PM
At 11/4/2013 10:18:52 PM, lewis20 wrote:
If the Colts could get another receiver who can catch the ball they'd be sitting pretty right now.

http://www.sportingcharts.com...

For inability to catch, the Colts are actually pretty average. Lions, Pats, and Rams are having the hardest time.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 10:24:25 PM
At 11/4/2013 10:22:12 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

For inability to catch, the Colts are actually pretty average. Lions, Pats, and Rams are having the hardest time.

Interesting data.

I thought the Packers would be higher but I guess it shows how catchable a pass that Aaron Rodgers throws.
Debate.org Moderator
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 10:26:51 PM

Up until two weeks ago they had one of the greatest receivers of all time, it's going forward that drops are going to be an issue.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 10:34:42 PM
At 11/4/2013 10:24:25 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Interesting data.

I thought the Packers would be higher but I guess it shows how catchable a pass that Aaron Rodgers throws.

Because I'm weird, I just went through all their old data. Was there as rule change in 1994? The drop rate before that was horrible. There were 10 teams in 1992 and 1993 that had more than 9.5% drops, then it was never hit again (9.4% was hit by 1996 NYG, and 9.3 hit twice by 2001 WAS and 2009 KC).
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 10:40:47 PM
At 11/4/2013 10:34:42 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/4/2013 10:24:25 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Interesting data.

Because I'm weird, I just went through all their old data. Was there as rule change in 1994? The drop rate before that was horrible. There were 10 teams in 1992 and 1993 that had more than 9.5% drops, then it was never hit again (9.4% was hit by 1996 NYG, and 9.3 hit twice by 2001 WAS and 2009 KC).

"Was there as rule change in 1994?"

The neutral zone infraction rule was added that year but nothing that would actually account for fewer dropped passes that I can think of.

But from about this point on more rules were added to make the game focus more on offense and give the offense more advantages.

For example, the current rules have evolved into where a defensive players has to offer a WR some tea before he can tackle him. Also if a defensive player hits a WR too hard he has to apologize and send a nice letter to that players mother.
Debate.org Moderator
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2013 7:00:39 AM
At 11/4/2013 10:28:30 PM, Koopin wrote:
I am listening to the Pack game right now. Praying the pack looses. I don't like good teams.

"I don't like good teams" says the Patriots fan, who have only been considered among the top 3 best teams in the NFL for like... the past decade. I can't even remember a time when anyone else had a chance to win the AFC East. The Jets only scraped by back in 2010 because of the WC.

I just don't understand the Falcons. Yes, they have had a few injuries but not SO MANY that they should be losing so badly right now to mediocre teams. What's up with that? Like I said, they were ranked #4 going into the season. Many people thought this would be their year after a heartbreaking close to their season last year, but they've just choked every time. I would say that they are the most surprising team at this point with the Giants being 2-6 as the second biggest surprise.

I was pissed that the Cowboys and Redskins won last week while the Giants had a BYE. Yes, the NFC East division is still wide open (thank god) but the Giants pretty much have to win all of their games for the rest of the season, which includes match-ups against the Pack, Lions, Seahawks, Cowboys and Redskins 2x. Eh, it's doable. However since the G-Men suck this season, I have to rely more on the Cowboys losing rather than the Giants winning (it seems). Hopefully they lose to the Saints, Bears, Packers and Skins. They really are the best team in the East right now though, unfortunately.

I completely agree that the Chiefs don't deserve to be ranked anywhere near #1. They've played REALLY sh!tty teams so far and in a handful of games have only won by like 1-3 points. They have Denver coming up 2x (which they will probably lose both to), the Skins which will challenge them, Colts (I suspect another loss) and Chargers 2x. I say they definitely lose at least 4 games of their upcoming 7. Supposing they lose 5, that would put them at 11-5 for the season. They'll get the WC spot and yep, probably 1 and done. Only if they face an NFC North team will they probably have a chance to get past the first round (the Bengals are winning that division right now). However they do have a good defense - just not enough to stop an elite offense - and Charles is shining. I think if they keep it up, they will have a chance if/when Peyton Manning's time is up in Denver.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2013 2:14:38 PM
If Rodgers is out for the season, the Giants might be able to win that game.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 6:31:15 PM
At 11/5/2013 2:14:38 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I have a feeling he'll come back on Thanksgiving vs. the Lions.

I agree about the Giants. If the Saints can beat the Cowboys this weekend, that will be good for us. We have the Raiders and Packers coming up. THEN the Cowboys. We need to win all 3 games. The NFC East sucks so hard thus far that the 2-6 Giants are theoretically still in it if we win all of our division games going forward and pick up a few while the Cowboys lose a few *crosses fingers* For some reason I'm not too worried about the Skins this year, though at the end of last season they came out of nowhere, so...
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 12:44:27 AM
At 11/6/2013 6:31:15 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 11/5/2013 2:14:38 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I have a feeling he'll come back on Thanksgiving vs. the Lions.

I agree about the Giants. If the Saints can beat the Cowboys this weekend, that will be good for us. We have the Raiders and Packers coming up. THEN the Cowboys. We need to win all 3 games. The NFC East sucks so hard thus far that the 2-6 Giants are theoretically still in it if we win all of our division games going forward and pick up a few while the Cowboys lose a few *crosses fingers* For some reason I'm not too worried about the Skins this year, though at the end of last season they came out of nowhere, so...

I'd be more worried about the Eagles. I know they didn't exactly play a top tier team last week, but any team that can blow out that many points has a high enough ceiling that they can be in almost any game.

That is one thing that I've always felt about the Cowboys. They have a very high ceiling, they can beat any team any week. They also have a piss poor low floor, so they can also lose to any team any week. I know this technically applies to any team. No team is guaranteed a win, but with some teams, it is just less shocking than others. If the Cowboys lost to the Jags, I'd be surprised, but not shocked. Likewise, if the Cowboys beat the Colts, Broncos, or Hawks, I'd also be surprised but not shocked.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 6:20:27 AM
I'm not worried about the Eagles because I think that Nick Foles' performance was a fluke last week. Plus I think they're only 1 instead of 3 games ahead in the division, so they're not as big of a threat (for now). I agree with you about the Cowboys. I really hope the Saints can handle them, but I'm not sure.
President of DDO