Jump to topic:

NFL overtime system

birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2013 10:35:56 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
What is your opnion on it? I think it needs to be changed so that each team gets at least 1 possesion, even the other team scores a touchdown. After that, then it should be next to score wins.
Ashton
Wren_cyborg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2013 7:15:39 PM
At 11/23/2013 10:35:56 AM, birdlandmemories wrote:
What is your opnion on it? I think it needs to be changed so that each team gets at least 1 possesion, even the other team scores a touchdown. After that, then it should be next to score wins.

I think it sucks, and that is why they changed the rules for the playoffs (I'm guessing you didn't get the memo). The regular season still has the same rules, which do suck (winning the coin toss and kicking a field goal is pretty lame).

I can't remember what exactly the never-as-of-yet-ever used modified post-season overtime rules are... If I'm not mistaken, getting a TD on the opening possession is enough to win, and if you get a field goal then the other team has a shot to match you.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2013 7:26:08 PM
At 11/23/2013 7:15:39 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:

I think it sucks, and that is why they changed the rules for the playoffs (I'm guessing you didn't get the memo). The regular season still has the same rules, which do suck (winning the coin toss and kicking a field goal is pretty lame).

The playoff OT rules were adopted for the regular season in 2012.

I can't remember what exactly the never-as-of-yet-ever used modified post-season overtime rules are... If I'm not mistaken, getting a TD on the opening possession is enough to win, and if you get a field goal then the other team has a shot to match you.

You are correct. Getting a FG is no longer enough to win on a first possession in OT.

Regardless, I'd prefer the college rules where both teams get a chance to match the other teams score until one team fails and the game is over.
Debate.org Moderator
Wren_cyborg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2013 7:47:31 PM
At 11/23/2013 7:26:08 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

News to me! Good news.

You are correct. Getting a FG is no longer enough to win on a first possession in OT.

Regardless, I'd prefer the college rules where both teams get a chance to match the other teams score until one team fails and the game is over.

Sort of like an inning in baseball... That seems to be the best in terms of fairness, but I can perhaps justify easing off a bit just to save some time. As long as one team can't win the toss and kick a long field-goal I'm happy.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2013 7:51:51 PM
At 11/23/2013 7:47:31 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:

News to me! Good news.

Sort of like an inning in baseball... That seems to be the best in terms of fairness, but I can perhaps justify easing off a bit just to save some time. As long as one team can't win the toss and kick a long field-goal I'm happy.

That's pretty much how I feel. I didn't like the idea of a FG winning the game based on a coin toss, but a team having to score a TD (and the other teams defense needing to stop them) makes it much more fair. While not as ideal as the scenario you described (I think the inning in baseball comparison is apt) I believe it's generally sufficient.
Debate.org Moderator
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2013 3:37:55 PM

The college is better, though I think they should have to start further back than the 35 (is it still the 35?). I'd like midfield more. OT can really let offensive plays blow up their stats.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2013 3:42:36 PM
At 11/24/2013 3:37:55 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

The college is better, though I think they should have to start further back than the 35 (is it still the 35?). I'd like midfield more. OT can really let offensive plays blow up their stats.

You must be playing against Adrian Peterson in fantasy this week or something..

But I agree mostly, though I don't think any system will be perfect and inflating stats is the least of my concerns.

I'm just happy the old system of, win the coin toss - kick a FG and win system is no longer in place.

It's not perfect, but it's mostly fair enough.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2013 3:46:21 PM
This Packers-Vikings game is a perfect example of how the new OT rules work, and work pretty well.

Both teams have had the ball multiple times in OT and both have had a chance to win the game... Neither team can blame the coin toss or a lack of chances to win this one.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2013 3:55:34 PM
At 11/24/2013 3:46:21 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
This Packers-Vikings game is a perfect example of how the new OT rules work, and work pretty well.

Both teams have had the ball multiple times in OT and both have had a chance to win the game... Neither team can blame the coin toss or a lack of chances to win this one.

ughh

A tie, lame.
Debate.org Moderator
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2013 4:21:08 PM
At 11/24/2013 3:55:34 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

ughh

A tie, lame.

??? How do ties work for "Beat the insiders"?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2013 4:24:29 PM
At 11/24/2013 4:21:08 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

ughh

A tie, lame.

Apparently it is a loss for everyone.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2013 4:27:38 PM
At 11/24/2013 4:24:29 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/24/2013 4:21:08 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

ughh

A tie, lame.

Apparently it is a loss for everyone.

Even outside of "Beat the insiders", it truly is a loss for everyone.
Debate.org Moderator
Wren_cyborg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2013 7:12:02 PM
Oh, the bitter irony. I just get done talking about how great the new OT rules are, and the Packers go down and kick a FG in OT and fail to win the game because of the new rules. *Facepalm*