Jump to topic:

Bodybuilders?

Wren_cyborg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2013 9:38:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I started lifting weights last month, but I've fallen off the wagon this week. My best friend is much better at it than I am, and he gives me tips on form so it doesn't have to be harder than it needs to be. I have always been a runner, and I'm really good at that, but it's time for me to branch outward. I've lifted many times in my life and never been able to keep it going, but I'm hoping this time around will be different.

Lifting feels great, I love the feeling of my muscles the day after when they are growing. It's one of those "good" pains. It also feels good to be somebody who exercises both the mind and body, while most people do neither and the rest usually just pick one or the other. The biggest challenge in weightlifting is simply finding the time to do it. I feel fine busting my a55 and lifting the weights, but if you want to properly go through the routine then it can be timely. My personal trainer likes to start with a mile jog, hit a few muscle groups, and then do the cool-down stretch. Then with the drive home and shower, I've got myself quite a hunk of time there. Somehow he manages to get it in twice a day on occasion, but he doesn't have kids lol.
InvictusManeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2013 4:47:46 AM
At 11/25/2013 9:38:02 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
I started lifting weights last month, but I've fallen off the wagon this week. My best friend is much better at it than I am, and he gives me tips on form so it doesn't have to be harder than it needs to be. I have always been a runner, and I'm really good at that, but it's time for me to branch outward. I've lifted many times in my life and never been able to keep it going, but I'm hoping this time around will be different.

Lifting feels great, I love the feeling of my muscles the day after when they are growing. It's one of those "good" pains. It also feels good to be somebody who exercises both the mind and body, while most people do neither and the rest usually just pick one or the other. The biggest challenge in weightlifting is simply finding the time to do it. I feel fine busting my a55 and lifting the weights, but if you want to properly go through the routine then it can be timely. My personal trainer likes to start with a mile jog, hit a few muscle groups, and then do the cool-down stretch. Then with the drive home and shower, I've got myself quite a hunk of time there. Somehow he manages to get it in twice a day on occasion, but he doesn't have kids lol.

Read 'Body by Science' - time is a non-issue for muscle gains if you train effectively and eat clean.

I have lifted weights over the years but have maintained it as a lifestyle choice for 6 months now. I don't spend much time in the gym. Lifting weights is great, and so much better than running on a treadmill for an hour. With better results, too.
Wren_cyborg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2013 11:58:55 AM
At 11/28/2013 4:47:46 AM, InvictusManeo wrote:
At 11/25/2013 9:38:02 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:

Read 'Body by Science' - time is a non-issue for muscle gains if you train effectively and eat clean.

I have lifted weights over the years but have maintained it as a lifestyle choice for 6 months now. I don't spend much time in the gym. Lifting weights is great, and so much better than running on a treadmill for an hour. With better results, too.

You can train the same muscles every day?
InvictusManeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2013 12:03:50 PM
At 11/28/2013 11:58:55 AM, Wren_cyborg wrote:

What? No, that's generally unwise. I literally spend maybe 2 hours a week in the gym, and at least part of that is just me walking around drinking water between sets anyway.

I tend to leave 3 days rest before training the same muscle group again. Gives them time to rebuild tissue and build new tissue before splitting the fibres again.

What does your regimen look like?
Wren_cyborg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2013 12:34:45 PM
At 11/28/2013 12:03:50 PM, InvictusManeo wrote:

What? No, that's generally unwise. I literally spend maybe 2 hours a week in the gym, and at least part of that is just me walking around drinking water between sets anyway.

I tend to leave 3 days rest before training the same muscle group again. Gives them time to rebuild tissue and build new tissue before splitting the fibres again.

Like I said my best friend sets much of it up for me, and I have taken the last week and a half off and sort of interrupted it (fell offf the wagon). I usually arrive at the Y and do a mile jog warmup, then I try to pick a muscle group and find 3-5 different ways to work it using both free weights and machines. I might do pushes as a group, pulls as a group, legs, or shoulders. My friend has done an excellent job keeping my form tight. One thing he told me that has helped a lot is to act like I need to defend myself at any moment. So when I'm lifting, my form should allow me to drop what I'm doing instantly and have my feet planted and weight balanced correctly.
InvictusManeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2013 12:42:45 PM
At 11/28/2013 12:34:45 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:

Like I said my best friend sets much of it up for me, and I have taken the last week and a half off and sort of interrupted it (fell offf the wagon). I usually arrive at the Y and do a mile jog warmup, then I try to pick a muscle group and find 3-5 different ways to work it using both free weights and machines. I might do pushes as a group, pulls as a group, legs, or shoulders. My friend has done an excellent job keeping my form tight. One thing he told me that has helped a lot is to act like I need to defend myself at any moment. So when I'm lifting, my form should allow me to drop what I'm doing instantly and have my feet planted and weight balanced correctly.

Do you then shower with your best friend afterwards?
Wren_cyborg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2013 12:45:46 PM
At 11/28/2013 12:42:45 PM, InvictusManeo wrote:
At 11/28/2013 12:34:45 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:

Do you then shower with your best friend afterwards?

Oh I forgot about the end of the routine. We wrap it up cool-down stretches and then we get drunk. I don't sweat off of just a mile run and lifting weights, I've been an athlete a long time and it takes a lot more than that to get my sweat pumping. Changing my socks is about all I need.
KingDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 5:06:33 AM
At 11/25/2013 7:23:55 PM, Calyn wrote:
I was wondering if there any intellectually inclined bodybuilders here xD
This is a job for me.
KingDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate