Jump to topic:

Andrew Luck

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 5:33:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I still don't understand why people think Andrew Luck is some superstar QB that is going to be the next Peyton Manning/Tom Brady/Aaron Rodgers.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com...

He has a below average TD, completion, yardage rates, and pretty much every positive passing stat. And he has an above average Pick and Sack rate.

Everyone likes to jump on to the 4th quarter comebacks that he has, but his numbers show differently. In the 4th quarter this season, he only has 5 TDs to 3 picks with a QBR of 87.9. His best quarter is actually the 3rd, with 8 TDs to 2 picks and 150 rushing yards (for an average of 8.8 yards per carry).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 5:38:13 PM
At 1/4/2014 5:34:47 PM, birdlandmemories wrote:
One things's for sure, he's looked awful so far against Kansas City. Turnovers are kiling him today.

True, but KC's offense, with Charles out with a concision, is uncharacteristically crazy good today.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 5:39:16 PM
Let me say that this is brought on by what analysis were saying in pregames on my local ESPN radio show (though they were only the camel that broke the straw's back).
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 5:40:39 PM
At 1/4/2014 5:38:13 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
One things's for sure, he's looked awful so far against Kansas City. Turnovers are kiling him today.

True, but KC's offense, with Charles out with a concision, is uncharacteristically crazy good today.

Well Smith making a ton of plays today, except for the fumble.
Ashton
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 5:42:37 PM
At 1/4/2014 5:40:39 PM, birdlandmemories wrote:

I imagine that he would love to play against the 49ers if the chance arose. Though perhaps he isn't like that.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 6:53:48 PM
At 1/4/2014 5:40:39 PM, birdlandmemories wrote:

As is Ty Hilton. Now with 224 yards (over 1/2 of all of Luck's passing yards this game) as the Colts take the lead.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 7:23:54 PM
At 1/4/2014 7:15:51 PM, Koopin wrote:
BEST PLAYOFF GAME I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!

nac

Indy's defense was a complete turn around that second half. The only TD they gave up was after Andrew started with a pick that allowed KC to start in the Red Zone. Apart from that extremely short field, KC could not score another TD all game.

KC - 336 yard in the 1st half. Only 181 in the second half (on 7 drives).
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 7:28:33 PM
On the flip side.

Indy - 369 yards in the 2nd half. Compared to 169 in the 1st.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 7:57:44 PM
Alright, just finished a massive time wasting exercise in gathering stats that I was unable to find in 30 seconds on Google.

Just compiled most the stats for all QBs based on quarters.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:07:50 PM
So it looks like I may have been a little off on a few assumptions. The average Passer Rating this year was 87.1, With Luck being at 87.0, and his 4th QTR rating was only 87.9. I presumed that meant that objectively he was average and did average in the 4th quarter. But something else jumped out. While the average rating was 87.1, the average 4th QTR was only 82.4. Most QBs perform worse in the 4th quarter. Whether that is from the pressure being on and facing a defense that knows the pass is coming, or because they are way ahead and just doing short gain dump passes that kill their YPP (which is a factor in the rating), we can look at case by case samples, but they are objectively worse in the 4th QTR.

Of the 37 QBs I looked at, Luck ranked 18th for his rating, but for 4th QTR only, he was 15th, and in the relation of 4th QTR vs their average, he was 14th. So it is better than I've been giving credit for, but I still maintain that it is nothing crazy special.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:17:09 PM
Just for some comparison stats to throw around.

Jay Cutler enjoys the 4th quarter better than any. With a rating of 89.2, it jumps in the 4th quarter to 102.7 (a 13.5 point jump). The rest of the top 5 are Cassel (10.8, 92.4 from 81.6), Rodgers (9.1, 114 from 104.9), Romo (WTF?! 8.9, 105.6 from 96.7), Foles (8.6, 127.8 from 119.2).

C. Ponder suffered the absolute worst when it comes to poor 4th quarter work. With no TDs, 4 Picks, and averaging only 4.7 yards per attempt, his 4th quarter rating was a dismal 42.0, to his regular 77.9 (for a -35.9 difference). The rest of the bottom 5 are Kaepernick (-30.5, 61.1 from 91.6), Eli Manning (-20.8, 48.6 from 69.4), Glennon (-19.1, 64.8 from 83.9), and Schaub (-17.8, 55.2 from 73.0).

Of the big three that did not make either end we have...

Brees (-10.9, 93.8 from 104.7)
Peyton Manning (-2.4, 112.7 from 115.1, dude he must totally suck!)
Brady (-1.9, 85.4 from 87.3)
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 9:49:47 PM
At 1/4/2014 5:33:14 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
I still don't understand why people think Andrew Luck is some superstar QB that is going to be the next Peyton Manning/Tom Brady/Aaron Rodgers.

He has a below average TD, completion, yardage rates, and pretty much every positive passing stat. And he has an above average Pick and Sack rate.

Everyone likes to jump on to the 4th quarter comebacks that he has, but his numbers show differently. In the 4th quarter this season, he only has 5 TDs to 3 picks with a QBR of 87.9. His best quarter is actually the 3rd, with 8 TDs to 2 picks and 150 rushing yards (for an average of 8.8 yards per carry).

Because of what he just did in the Wild Card game.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 10:05:02 PM
At 1/4/2014 9:49:47 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

I know, everyone completely ignores what everyone else does. Listening to the Saints/Eagles game, they stopped to talk about the Colts and did not mention a single other player besides Luck. They didn't mention the incredible turnaround that the defense did, they didn't mention the incredible catches that Hilton made. I remember watching the opening drives. Luck's first pass attempt was far behind Hilton, but Hilton made an amazing behind the shoulder catch. By the end of the drive everyone forgot that much of his success is others making spectacular catches from bad throws.
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 10:30:31 PM
At 1/4/2014 10:05:02 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I know, everyone completely ignores what everyone else does. Listening to the Saints/Eagles game, they stopped to talk about the Colts and did not mention a single other player besides Luck. They didn't mention the incredible turnaround that the defense did, they didn't mention the incredible catches that Hilton made. I remember watching the opening drives. Luck's first pass attempt was far behind Hilton, but Hilton made an amazing behind the shoulder catch. By the end of the drive everyone forgot that much of his success is others making spectacular catches from bad throws.

I will say that T.Y Hilton played a huge part in this game and converted many bad throws into good catches. However, to say that Luck was severely overestimated by the media is a bit of an overstatement.

The defense sucked for the most part of the game.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 10:34:31 PM
At 1/4/2014 10:30:31 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

I will say that T.Y Hilton played a huge part in this game and converted many bad throws into good catches. However, to say that Luck was severely overestimated by the media is a bit of an overstatement.

I would disagree. The media did overestimate Luck, as seeing as what the media has been portraying him as. I'm not saying he is a bad player, but he has been over hyped up.

For the defense, they played an amazing second half. As pointed out, they only gave up 2 FGs in the second half. The one TD that they let go was after a Luck pick that allowed the Chiefs to start in Indy's red zone, that is not the fault of the defense what so ever. Luck threw another pick and allowed the Chiefs to start in FG range and the defense held them to just a FG. If their defense played that good every game, they'd probably be the #2 seed.
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 6:42:22 AM
At 1/4/2014 10:34:31 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I would disagree. The media did overestimate Luck, as seeing as what the media has been portraying him as. I'm not saying he is a bad player, but he has been over hyped up.

For the defense, they played an amazing second half. As pointed out, they only gave up 2 FGs in the second half. The one TD that they let go was after a Luck pick that allowed the Chiefs to start in Indy's red zone, that is not the fault of the defense what so ever. Luck threw another pick and allowed the Chiefs to start in FG range and the defense held them to just a FG. If their defense played that good every game, they'd probably be the #2 seed.

Honestly, what good player ISN'T all hyped up by the media?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 1:14:13 AM
At 1/5/2014 6:42:22 AM, dtaylor971 wrote:
At 1/4/2014 10:34:31 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Honestly, what good player ISN'T all hyped up by the media?

I can't think of any that are hyped up to the same degree that he is. He is hyped up more than RG3 was last year. At least with RG3, he has solid numbers, and once the numbers fell, the media pointed it out and "turned" on him, though that may be in large part because of his attitude, while Luck has a great attitude.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 11:01:33 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't remember) but weren't you the one, Ore_Ele, singing Luck's excessive praises all of last season, while others were pushing for RG3's alleged superiority? Or was it vice versa? I agree that Luck is praised for his great attitude, perhaps too much, and that much of the glory is given to him in the Colt's victories. However that is typical of most QBs if not all, and while they will get the glory in good times, they will also get the harshest criticism in bad times.

TBH all of those numbers you posted started to give me a headache. I'm not a numbers person. But from what I suspect, Luck will in fact become a great QB. He will at least be above average. If he doesn't live up to my presumed standards, at worst I think he will be of Phil Rivers caliber. Phil Rivers can at times be very underrated. He is a good QB on paper. However unlike Brady, he was never able to elevate the receivers around him (it seems Tom can play ball with anybody!), and unlike Peyton, he doesn't have an instinct for a bomb a$s chemistry with his receivers as quickly (and the Chargers haven't had consistent personnel).

I think the Colts will take care of Luck and build around him better than the Chargers have with Rivers. I think coupled with his attitude and sheer talent, with time he will ONLY get better (whereas there are questions that RG3 will remain stagnant, regress, or get hurt from too much running). I do think Luck will go on to win a championship at some point, which many consider a defining success for an elite QB (maybe not so much for Flacco...). I also think he will become more polished, once given experience and a better cast. While he might never be as pretty as Brees or as athletic as even some other current studs (like Kaepernick, Newton, etc.), he is definitely strong, smart, dedicated, talented and a FRANCHISE QB for certain. I would have absolutely no problem building my team around him and having him be the guy going forward. While what happened to Manning was sad, it was ultimately a great move for everyone and the Colts did the right thing going with Luck. I see only good things for him ahead. Some losing seasons? Yes, I wouldn't be surprised. But definitely some winning ones as well.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 8:13:31 PM
At 1/7/2014 11:01:33 AM, Danielle wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't remember) but weren't you the one, Ore_Ele, singing Luck's excessive praises all of last season, while others were pushing for RG3's alleged superiority? Or was it vice versa? I agree that Luck is praised for his great attitude, perhaps too much, and that much of the glory is given to him in the Colt's victories. However that is typical of most QBs if not all, and while they will get the glory in good times, they will also get the harshest criticism in bad times.

Vise versa. I was on the RG3 train until the personality issue came up. I've been "against" the Luck train back when he was at Stanford (ever since he went into a game against Oregon State, was a 25 point favorite and joke that they would do much better than that, they ended up winning by 25 points on the dot).

TBH all of those numbers you posted started to give me a headache. I'm not a numbers person. But from what I suspect, Luck will in fact become a great QB. He will at least be above average. If he doesn't live up to my presumed standards, at worst I think he will be of Phil Rivers caliber. Phil Rivers can at times be very underrated. He is a good QB on paper. However unlike Brady, he was never able to elevate the receivers around him (it seems Tom can play ball with anybody!), and unlike Peyton, he doesn't have an instinct for a bomb a$s chemistry with his receivers as quickly (and the Chargers haven't had consistent personnel).

I think the Colts will take care of Luck and build around him better than the Chargers have with Rivers. I think coupled with his attitude and sheer talent, with time he will ONLY get better (whereas there are questions that RG3 will remain stagnant, regress, or get hurt from too much running). I do think Luck will go on to win a championship at some point, which many consider a defining success for an elite QB (maybe not so much for Flacco...). I also think he will become more polished, once given experience and a better cast. While he might never be as pretty as Brees or as athletic as even some other current studs (like Kaepernick, Newton, etc.), he is definitely strong, smart, dedicated, talented and a FRANCHISE QB for certain. I would have absolutely no problem building my team around him and having him be the guy going forward. While what happened to Manning was sad, it was ultimately a great move for everyone and the Colts did the right thing going with Luck. I see only good things for him ahead. Some losing seasons? Yes, I wouldn't be surprised. But definitely some winning ones as well.

Let me state this. I think I've said it before, I like Luck as a player and as a person (at least his personality, of course, I don't really know him as a person). But I dislike all the practically religiously fanatic Luck fans. I never root against him, just against them. It is much the same with Aaron Rodgers, who really really likes women.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 10:15:31 PM
At 1/7/2014 8:13:31 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Let me state this. I think I've said it before, I like Luck as a player and as a person (at least his personality, of course, I don't really know him as a person). But I dislike all the practically religiously fanatic Luck fans. I never root against him, just against them. It is much the same with Aaron Rodgers, who really really likes women.

LOL. Fair enough. I think people have a reason to be excited about Luck though. I mean, if he were to sign with the Giants, I would be thrilled. There aren't too many QBs I would rather have right now than Andrew Luck. In fact I would take him over Manning, Brees and Brady. This is mostly because he's young. He isn't better than them right now, but I truly think he will be elite and has a lot of time to get to that level. He took the Colts to the playoffs his first 2 years in the NFL (and keep in mind, before that the Colts had the worst record in the league - granted with Manning out). I mean I guess statistically, I trust your analysis (even without looking) that he's mediocre. But whatever it is, he has something special that has and will continue to take him far. I like the guy. I wish him luck (no pun intended).
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 10:26:54 PM
At 1/7/2014 10:15:31 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 1/7/2014 8:13:31 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

LOL. Fair enough. I think people have a reason to be excited about Luck though. I mean, if he were to sign with the Giants, I would be thrilled. There aren't too many QBs I would rather have right now than Andrew Luck. In fact I would take him over Manning, Brees and Brady. This is mostly because he's young. He isn't better than them right now, but I truly think he will be elite and has a lot of time to get to that level. He took the Colts to the playoffs his first 2 years in the NFL (and keep in mind, before that the Colts had the worst record in the league - granted with Manning out). I mean I guess statistically, I trust your analysis (even without looking) that he's mediocre. But whatever it is, he has something special that has and will continue to take him far. I like the guy. I wish him luck (no pun intended).

I agree that in 10 years, he will be one of the top 5 in the league. The current group that is Brady, Brees, Manning, and Rodgers will evolve into a different group and Luck will likely be a part of that group. One of the biggest things I will be looking for will be what he does when his contract is over. I think that a true team player and super star puts winning and his team above himself and is willing to take a lower pay so that the team can get better players (looking at you, Flacco). When Manning won his first Super Bowl ring, he redid his contract to save the team $8.2 million so that they could get more/keep more players.

Luck is taking up more cap space than RG3 (only barely) so that is a little telling, though he might be getting his bank set now, so that he can take lower payments later (you get $15 million in the bank and you can get $2 a year off interest for the rest of your life). We will see.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2014 11:04:08 AM

Overrated just like stay at home Aaron Rodgers. Tom Bradys the best, period.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2014 1:42:47 PM
At 1/8/2014 11:04:08 AM, inferno wrote:

Overrated just like stay at home Aaron Rodgers. Tom Bradys the best, period.

Brady's the best when he's not on his period!
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2014 12:53:03 PM
At 1/11/2014 11:32:24 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 1/11/2014 7:25:39 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
lol.

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net...

+12 Internet points for you.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 9:36:51 AM

Andrew Luch like Aaron Rodgers is just another overrated superstar. Consistency is overlooked often in the world of sports today.