Jump to topic:

No More Extra Points?

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 12:33:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Goodell is contemplating making the extra-point automatic, since it basically is nowadays anyway. The chances of making your extra-point are over 99.5%. The most likely change would be to still give you 6 points for a TD, and then make the choice of taking a free point, or else taking the risk of going for two. Danielle mentioned the other day that only 6% of your NFL TV experience is live action. This would be the most obvious area to trim. Also, why have a handful of practically meaningless plays throughout each game where players can get potentially get hurt? I have to say I like the idea.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 1:43:28 AM
I couldn't agree more, get rid of the extra point and just make it automatic.

The only downside to this is no fake extra point 2-pt conversions, but who does that anyways these days?

The extra point is definitely a waste of time, time for it to go.
Debate.org Moderator
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 7:25:15 AM
I still want the extra point. That way there is still that funny moment when someone misses it or someone blocks the extra point.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2014 2:20:18 PM
It does give the players an extra breath. Also, kickers do so little as it is, they need this to help keep them fresh for when they actually need to kick that game winning 42 yarder. I'd wager that if this is implemented, we will see a drop in the overall FG accuracy over the next 2 - 3 years.

I believe I also heard that they were going to change the play clock from 40 to 35 and on incomplete passes, the clock would resume when the ball was placed and ready. This would basically force everyone into a hurried up style of offense. Meaning the teams that are already doing it will be the better teams, at least for a few years while the rest catch up.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 7:58:53 AM
no fake extra point...

I've yet to ever see one of these.

I still want it...

There were five missed PATs in roughly 1200 attempts this season. I actually did get to witness one and it was entertaining, Adrian Peterson was single-handedly carrying his sh1tty-fvcking Vikings team in this one game and it was funny enough to see that, and then all of a sudden after this super-heroic run in which he pushed a pile of three guys into the end-zone, he sat down and the Vikes miss the PAT. The look on his face was classic. Like, "do I need to play offense, defense, AND KICK THE DAMNED BALL TOO????"

But yeah, chances are none of us would even see one next year if they had them.

FG% will drop...

Good, I personally don't like FGs that much anyway. Nothing is worse about watching a football game than a team bleeding the clock out at the end while tied/close to tied and then kicking a FG.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.