Jump to topic:

Anti-abortion ad during Superbowl.

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2010 5:31:36 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com...

I don't follow NFL, or have a clue who Tim Tebow is, but I read an article stating he would be in a 30 second anti-abortion ad during the Superbowl, which I know is a fudging big thing.

The ad is dangerous in any case, stating Tebows mother was advised to have an abortion, and decided against it and gave birth to Tim. This is dangerous - Think of all the pregnant women who will be advised to medically receive an abortion, and go against this because of this ad. Personally I think anyone would have to retarded to follow the advice, but some will. And this could put womens life at risk.

"were advised by doctors to have an abortion as Tebow's mother was going through medical issues connected to the pregnancy. She ignored the recommendations"

Sure, she got lucky, but there are many others who won't get lucky.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2010 6:33:23 AM
I'm pro-choice, but I don't see anything wrong with this ad. Women should be aware that they have options. I don't see this as crossing a line or overly pushing an agenda. Abortion is a difficult choice; I know a lot of women who have had them and deeply regretted it afterward (to the point where it damaged other aspects of their life). Whatever choice a woman decides to make, she should make it with a clear head and after considering the consequences or reality of what the surgery does.

Now to me, this is very different than REQUIRING that a woman listen to her fetus' heartbeat if she opts for an abortion! For one thing no one is "requiring" that pregnant women watch this commercial (and people even know that it's going to air ahead of time). Also, the commercial seems to inform a woman of options where the heartbeat thing merely seems to GUILT a woman into not having an abortion.

Also, I think this commercial is aimed at men too considering the demographic being targeted. Many young guys who are not ready for fatherhood often force or encourage their baby mama to have an abortion when the mother really doesn't want to. I think this commercial is just bringing awareness to the issue.
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2010 6:45:30 AM
At 1/17/2010 6:33:23 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I'm pro-choice, but I don't see anything wrong with this ad. Women should be aware that they have options. I don't see this as crossing a line or overly pushing an agenda. Abortion is a difficult choice; I know a lot of women who have had them and deeply regretted it afterward (to the point where it damaged other aspects of their life). Whatever choice a woman decides to make, she should make it with a clear head and after considering the consequences or reality of what the surgery does.

Now to me, this is very different than REQUIRING that a woman listen to her fetus' heartbeat if she opts for an abortion! For one thing no one is "requiring" that pregnant women watch this commercial (and people even know that it's going to air ahead of time). Also, the commercial seems to inform a woman of options where the heartbeat thing merely seems to GUILT a woman into not having an abortion.

Also, I think this commercial is aimed at men too considering the demographic being targeted. Many young guys who are not ready for fatherhood often force or encourage their baby mama to have an abortion when the mother really doesn't want to. I think this commercial is just bringing awareness to the issue.

I have no problem with a commercial against abortion, but the problem is the ad uses the example of someone who went against medical advice to receive an abortion. It could give the impression what doctors say in a situation doesn't mean anything, which leads to medical complications and death.

It's the fact they're saying "Oh hey, don't listen to doctors who say you could die from giving birth!"
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2010 6:59:25 AM
At 1/17/2010 6:45:30 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

I have no problem with a commercial against abortion, but the problem is the ad uses the example of someone who went against medical advice to receive an abortion. It could give the impression what doctors say in a situation doesn't mean anything, which leads to medical complications and death.

It's the fact they're saying "Oh hey, don't listen to doctors who say you could die from giving birth!"

Oh, okay. I see what you're saying. Well in that case, I still think it's a personal choice that every woman should make for herself. Some women are genuinely prepared to die instead of having an abortion, and I think this commercial will strengthen their belief in that regard. In the case of a woman who feels neutral about it, I'm not sure this commercial will really impact her. When it comes down to it, if you're in a situation where your own life is being threatened, then your own values (and fear) will prevail - you'll do what you think is best and furthers your values the most.
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2010 7:05:01 AM
At 1/17/2010 6:59:25 AM, theLwerd wrote:

Oh, okay. I see what you're saying. Well in that case, I still think it's a personal choice that every woman should make for herself. Some women are genuinely prepared to die instead of having an abortion, and I think this commercial will strengthen their belief in that regard. In the case of a woman who feels neutral about it, I'm not sure this commercial will really impact her. When it comes down to it, if you're in a situation where your own life is being threatened, then your own values (and fear) will prevail - you'll do what you think is best and furthers your values the most.

I agree a woman should be allowed do what they want in that situation, but obviously the ad makes any situation of medically dangerous pregnancy seem like it doesn't really matter. Sure, there are cases when it's better to be on the safe side, and the baby is more than likely viable and the doctors have to inform the mother.

I'm not advocating the ad should be blocked by the government, but rather it's backing up the idea that Christians should put there trust in their faith rather than medicine. Like the girl with diabetes who died when the parents failed to react appropriately.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2010 10:09:00 AM
At 1/17/2010 7:05:01 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

I'm not advocating the ad should be blocked by the government, but rather it's backing up the idea that Christians should put there trust in their faith rather than medicine.

Yeah, but unfortunately that's not your choice to make.
President of DDO
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2010 10:18:56 AM
At 1/17/2010 5:31:36 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

The ad is dangerous in any case, stating Tebows mother was advised to have an abortion, and decided against it and gave birth to Tim. This is dangerous - Think of all the pregnant women who will be advised to medically receive an abortion, and go against this because of this ad.

I don't think to many women medically need to have abortions. I think the "health" aspect of abortions is vastly overplayed.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2010 10:19:54 AM

I have no problem with a commercial against abortion, but the problem is the ad uses the example of someone who went against medical advice to receive an abortion.

looks like you already answered my objection. Sorry for that.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2010 9:13:01 PM
At 1/17/2010 5:31:36 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com...

I don't follow NFL, or have a clue who Tim Tebow is, but I read an article stating he would be in a 30 second anti-abortion ad during the Superbowl, which I know is a fudging big thing.

The ad is dangerous in any case, stating Tebows mother was advised to have an abortion, and decided against it and gave birth to Tim. This is dangerous - Think of all the pregnant women who will be advised to medically receive an abortion, and go against this because of this ad. Personally I think anyone would have to retarded to follow the advice, but some will. And this could put womens life at risk.

"were advised by doctors to have an abortion as Tebow's mother was going through medical issues connected to the pregnancy. She ignored the recommendations"

Sure, she got lucky, but there are many others who won't get lucky.

I am anti abortion but i am pro-choice when it comes to paying for an ad if you have the money.

Worded weird, i know.

But if someone is going to pay for it than who cares, let it happen.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2010 10:59:21 AM

Medicial advice is not gospel, I know that from experience. Though women should not be pressured into ignoring it on a point of principle they should know that they have a right to do so if it conflicts with their core morality or instinct. It's an awkward one.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2010 1:14:12 PM
I have no problem with them showing this, but I am afraid that, like Panda said, it may inspire women that will take the risk and avoid abortion when they are in no position to do so. Mother and child will die in the place of just the fetus. That worries me.

Still, I haven't seen the ad myself, and I'm not aware of the story myself, but I can only hope that (Christian) women will not take this video and go suicide with it.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2010 1:18:16 PM
I don't understand why people are upset over this. Its sad when people get mad because others won't kill babies.
kfc
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2010 1:23:18 PM
At 1/18/2010 1:18:16 PM, Koopin wrote:
I don't understand why people are upset over this. Its sad when people get mad because others won't kill babies when medically advised to under the circumstance they could die.

Fix
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2010 2:41:47 PM
At 1/18/2010 1:23:18 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
I don't understand why people are upset over this. Its sad when people get mad because others won't kill babies when medically advised to under the circumstance they could die.

Fix

They probably should follow the doctors' advice if their life is at risk. That being said - you make it sound as if this is common or something. It really isn't. At least not in 1st world countries.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 7:03:10 AM
At 1/18/2010 2:41:47 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 1/18/2010 1:23:18 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Fix

They probably should follow the doctors' advice if their life is at risk. That being said - you make it sound as if this is common or something. It really isn't. At least not in 1st world countries.

The doctors advice may be incompetent, the doctors advice may be competent but accurate, the mother for reasons secular or religious may be unable to reconcile herself to the idea of abortion.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 7:27:53 AM
I don't know where these religious fanatics get off, I really don't.

On one hand they are telling women to risk their lives to bring handicapped babies into the world and then when they are born with severe complications they won't let the doctors intervene to save their lives because they believe medical procedures such as blood transfusions are sinful.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 7:46:51 AM

I think it's more of a problem in the sense that it'll inspire people to look "backwards". The "ignoring medical advice" part is a one-liner; it's the implied "no abortion -> this kind of person for a kid" causality that will cause a hell of a lot more issues.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 10:53:59 AM
At 1/19/2010 7:46:51 AM, Rezzealaux wrote:

I think it's more of a problem in the sense that it'll inspire people to look "backwards". The "ignoring medical advice" part is a one-liner; it's the implied "no abortion -> this kind of person for a kid" causality that will cause a hell of a lot more issues.

Especially the brutal beatings when they aren't a successful quarterback in the NFL.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2010 2:26:55 PM
At 1/23/2010 1:33:35 PM, comoncents wrote:
So is this going to happen or not?

probably, but they are allowed to put the ad up. I don't yell at beer ads claiming they are trying to turn everyone into alcoholics (though I personally know some people who do).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2010 2:29:40 PM
At 1/23/2010 2:26:55 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 1/23/2010 1:33:35 PM, comoncents wrote:
So is this going to happen or not?

probably, but they are allowed to put the ad up. I don't yell at beer ads claiming they are trying to turn everyone into alcoholics (though I personally know some people who do).

Yeah, i don't mind.