Jump to topic:

Are Vikings the best team left?

Johnicle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2010 9:33:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
They are the only team that poses a threat to the Saints offense, not to mention their own strong passing game and running game.

I mean seriously...

Brett Favre playing (arguably) better than he ever has.
Adrian Peterson
Sidney Rice playing like Randy Moss used to
William brothers
Chad Greenway

With a sick O-line and D-line with weapons on the outside, the Vikings are one of most deep and complete teams in the league. It will be too much for the other teams to handle if the Vikings come to play.

Prediction: Vikings beat the Saints, then the Colts
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 12:00:46 AM
With a sick O-line

I'm a Vikings fan, but no, this is our offensive weakness right now. You ever wonder why AP isn't getting much in the way of yards? Well, part of it is a lack of disguising (which is both an O-line and a coaching problem) and part of it is allowing a lot of penetration in the backfield on running plays (which I'm fairly sure is mostly sloppy O-line play.) And, though the O-line has no problem opening holes where they arent supposed to be so the defenders can hit them, when it does manage to keep the backfield clear there's no rea running play. With a lot of runners, getting the touchdowns but struggling for significant yardage is a sign that the runner is struggling, but if you look at his highlights, AP's talents apparently reverse the situation, quite a few of those touchdowns have a complete O-line collapse with AP breaking several tackles. If runs for short yardage other than touchdowns made the highlight reels, you'd probably see an inordinate number of those too.

The pass protection hasn't been that great either. The reason the Vikings pass rush ruined the Cowboy's day and not vice versa isn't that the Cowboy's didn't get past (though they at least managed to get by with freeing one instead of several), it's that Brett Favre didn't mind taking a hit much (as can be seen on the first drive of the game, with the Demarcus Ware sack that dinged up Ware but not Favre: ) )

On the defensive side of the ball, we have a Tampa-2 based scheme, with the corners and line to match, but our safeties don't really do much of anything and we have a 275 pound rookie run stuffer at MLB where we're supposed to have a speedy guy who can step back into the pipe.

So we're not without weaknesses. These weaknesses, obviously, are not insurmountable, as we saw from beating the Cowboys, who are, offensively, built a lot like the Saints (except the Saints have a much stronger O-line, but hey, they also have a significantly weaker defense, one that might even make our O-line look good). Do I think the Vikings will likely win? Yes, it might be the bias talking, but Favre is not Warner, and our D-line is on so much fire there's gotta be some chink in the Saints' line's armor. We already survived Witten with flying colors, and he's a Pro Bowler who plays right up at our defensive weakness from one end-- my biggest concern is if the Saints spread the field, set up Bush as a straight-up receiver, and try to burn our secondary-- at that point, it's a race of whether the receiver's can get past the DB's first or the D-line can reach Brees, and that's a crapshoot. It's gonna work sometimes and it's gonna loosen up intermediate stuff, but I think and hope it won't be enough.

I laugh at their high ranked running game of course as I laugh at all running games against the Vikings. Every time the Saint's run it I will smile.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 8:48:14 AM
At 1/18/2010 9:33:31 PM, Johnicle wrote:
They are the only team that poses a threat to the Saints offense, not to mention their own strong passing game and running game.

I mean seriously...

Adrian Peterson
William brothers
Chad Greenway

With a sick O-line and D-line with weapons on the outside, the Vikings are one of most deep and complete teams in the league. It will be too much for the other teams to handle if the Vikings come to play.

On paper, but not when it comes to heart and certain talent positions.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 8:59:05 AM
http://tvtropes.org...
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 10:27:50 AM
At 1/18/2010 9:33:31 PM, Johnicle wrote:

I mean seriously...

Adrian Peterson
William brothers
Chad Greenway

The vikings will see justice when the Saints slit their throats!!!
kfc
Johnicle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 4:13:52 PM
I have to say that I do think that the vikings were the better team. If they would have had one less turnover they would have won. As well as if they would have won the coin toss at overtime.
SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 4:35:15 PM
At 1/25/2010 4:13:52 PM, Johnicle wrote:
I have to say that I do think that the vikings were the better team. If they would have had one less turnover they would have won. As well as if they would have won the coin toss at overtime.

If they were compentent enough to have 11 men in the huddle coming in after a time out with 19 seconds left in the game, they would have won.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2010 11:59:07 AM
lol! I remember when the Vikings had the ball with a few seconds left in the last quarter - Lwerd said to me "That's it, the Saints lost."

So I punched her in the arm and told her to STFU and not give up on my mothef*cking team.

And then they proved her wrong :)

It was glorious lol

GO SAINTS!
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2010 12:01:07 PM
At 1/28/2010 11:59:07 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:
lol! I remember when the Vikings had the ball with a few seconds left in the last quarter - Lwerd said to me "That's it, the Saints lost."

So I punched her in the arm and told her to STFU and not give up on my mothef*cking team.

And then they proved her wrong :)

It was glorious lol

GO SAINTS!

You know, I am starting to like the Saints more and more.
kfc