Jump to topic:

Enough Katrina/Saints already

USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 2:55:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I donated money to Katrina clean-up and NOLA restoration efforts.

I have friends and family in the region who were directly affected by the category-3 impact five years ago.

Yet I'm fatigued from Saints coverage over-appealing to our national pathos toward Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath. We know the team means a lot to the community; we know New Orleans sports fans rally around the Saints; we know the city is not 100% repaired yet (structurally, emotionally, or psychologically).

But how many more times must I hear that this game will give people trying to rebuild from Katrina's impact "hope"? It won't. This won't change anything for people in such a situation, other than give them a small sense of satisfaction regarding something comparatively insignificant. And while that's nice to have, it's almost diminishing to the real issue to keep running this story as if it's meaningful.

Hurricane Katrina hit five years ago. While New Orleans can still benefit from more tourism and continuous reconstruction, it's no longer underwater with floating corpses passing by debris and alligators. It's no longer a national disaster in desperate need of attention.

Maybe the Haiti coverage will overshadow the Katrina story---at least until another exploitable disaster comes along.
buckeyes3992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 2:59:33 PM
At 2/3/2010 2:55:20 PM, USAPitBull63 wrote:
I donated money to Katrina clean-up and NOLA restoration efforts.

I have friends and family in the region who were directly affected by the category-3 impact five years ago.

Yet I'm fatigued from Saints coverage over-appealing to our national pathos toward Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath. We know the team means a lot to the community; we know New Orleans sports fans rally around the Saints; we know the city is not 100% repaired yet (structurally, emotionally, or psychologically).

But how many more times must I hear that this game will give people trying to rebuild from Katrina's impact "hope"? It won't. This won't change anything for people in such a situation, other than give them a small sense of satisfaction regarding something comparatively insignificant. And while that's nice to have, it's almost diminishing to the real issue to keep running this story as if it's meaningful.

Hurricane Katrina hit five years ago. While New Orleans can still benefit from more tourism and continuous reconstruction, it's no longer underwater with floating corpses passing by debris and alligators. It's no longer a national disaster in desperate need of attention.

Maybe the Haiti coverage will overshadow the Katrina story---at least until another exploitable disaster comes along.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 5:03:22 PM
The Saints have generally been pretty crappy throughout their tenure (though Archie Manning wasn't, ironically enough) and this is their first time going to the Super Bowl. I think that's what fans are really excited about, and the media is hyping up the Katrina incident as an added bonus... sort of like saying what happened to you sucks, but if you're a sports fan then maybe this will at least put a smile on your face. I don't think anyone means any harm by mentioning it, though I agree that it can be a tad irritating. I mean you're talking to someone who lived in New York City during 9/11. If the Yankees had won the World Series that year, it probably would have been extra special... but I hear what you're saying - Katrina happened 4.5 years ago and we shouldn't keep harping on it. I just hope that people don't become depressed if they lose if they've seriously got their emotions riding on this game lol.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 5:04:28 PM
I think people just like the hype because it makes the game seem more important than it really is. The Saints believe they're playing for a cause (the hope of the people) instead of just a pay check and some personal glory. It's kinda cute.
President of DDO
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 5:50:11 PM
Yeah.
I can see where it is you are coming from.

I am from NOLA and am tired of it.

I will allow it during the superbowl.
I know what it is like to need something to play for. Any form of inspiration. So i will allow it but yes tired I am.