Total Posts:89|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Tim Tebow

Loserboi
Posts: 1,232
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 9:20:09 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Have you guys heard the recent scouting reports on him lately it seems like Tebow is really not good at anything except being famous. I'm surprised hes still a 1st round prospect

Reports says
-he can't throw
-he can't read defenses
-he fumbles a lot of snaps
-his qb wildcat will not work in the NFL

Is his fame really worth even being drafted into the NFL?
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 9:25:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/4/2010 9:20:09 PM, Loserboi wrote:
Have you guys heard the recent scouting reports on him lately it seems like Tebow is really not good at anything except being famous. I'm surprised hes still a 1st round prospect

Reports says
-he can't throw
-he can't read defenses
-he fumbles a lot of snaps
-his qb wildcat will not work in the NFL

Is his fame really worth even being drafted into the NFL?

A completion % of 67.8 (in 2009) and a 5.5 - 1 TD to INT rate (college career). [1]

I won't say he is the best, but I'd venture a guess that he can throw.

[1] http://espn.go.com...
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 9:30:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/4/2010 9:25:02 PM, OreEle wrote:

I won't say he is the best, but I'd venture a guess that he can throw.

[1] http://espn.go.com...

Yeah, but he doesn't meet NFL standard QB requirements. His spirals suck so he's not as accurate as he needs to be. He has a slow release. Plus the other flaws mentioned above. He fit perfectly with the Gators and his performance was great at the college level, but NFL players are different and have different requirements.
President of DDO
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 9:52:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I think everybody likes him because he's a good leader and and all around likeable guy.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Loserboi
Posts: 1,232
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 10:12:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/4/2010 9:52:17 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
I think everybody likes him because he's a good leader and and all around likeable guy.

That wont be enough for him to survive in the NFL
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 10:41:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
The wildcat doesn't work in the NFL?

Why not? It's just a form of the single wing, which was at one point the most popular offense IN the NFL, and it stopped being popular because of trends, not because it stopped working

Granted, we haven't seen a real pure single wing offense run in the NFL recently, most teams just use it as a package to give the opponent an off look, but that doesn't mean it can't be used that way, and even with an off look saying he shouldn't be drafted is absurd. I'm not saying he's necessarily a first round prospect, but he's at least a high fourth, and probably better.

Incidentally, it's not "his wildcat," it's just a trendy offense he's an interesting fit with (although it wouldn't technically count as a wildcat unless you called him some other postion). Tebow ran a spread-option. The spread part works in the NFL-- it's generally used as an off-package, but it was probably the basis of the Patriots' offense this year, and that was a good offense. The option doesn't more than maybe running it twice a game at best-- it's too slow to develop-- but the spreading part does.

All QB prospects should be looked at as a high risk of bust, that's just the nature of the position. But throwing mechanics can be learned, and weight rooms can be hit to strengthen up an arm. Center mechanics can DEFINITELY be learned-- of course he fumbles a lot of snaps under center, he doesn't usually play under center! He might never be great at it, but he can probably be decent.

Any offense that's lacking in the backfield should draft him as, if nothing else, a back for a wildcat or spread off-package-- he'll pass better than any true wildcat back does, and he runs well enough that he could probably play the running back position straight up in the NFL, although not as the feature back. If he does really well in it, expand it.

The only reason I'd say he isn't a first round prospect, with as many things as he can do, is the fact that he'll need to be one of the toughest players in history to survive a regular role in any offense for which his talents are suitable-- he'll be hit on the run, he'll be hit while throwing, he'll be hit while blocking (wildcat packages require you to run), and he'll probably take a few illegal hits as a receiver in a defenseless position from overeager linebackers. Any attempt to protect him from getting hit hard and often will as good as doom him to mediocrity, because, while he's a prospect to play good football, he is NOT a prospect for traditional quarterbacking, even traditional "mobile" quarterbacking which is based on speeding to the outside and sliding to avoid the hit-- the closest thing I can think of to him is Steve Mcnair, who was one of the toughest players in history, but Tebow will probably need to be more so, considering how much more emphasis of his game seems to be on the running.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 10:43:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
(wildcat packages require you to run)
should read "require you to block." The whole basis of the package is to have 10 people blocking for any runners rather than 9.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
theitalianstallion
Posts: 1,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 7:38:01 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
He's not an NFL talent, its that simple.

-His arm isn't strong enough and he isn't accurate enogh to make it as a QB.
-He isn't atheltic enough to make it as a HB/TE like some are saying (he was athletic for a QB)

He may, however, be able to find a Micheal Vick type role somewhere with more straight ahead running.
When Reach fell, I came.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 8:06:02 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Ragnar, I don't think he shouldn't be drafted, but quite simply I second Stallion's assessment: His arm isn't strong enough and he isn't accurate enough to make it as a QB any time soon. A first round draft pick is reserved for someone you expect to start, and Tim Tebow is definitely not that guy, so he's not worth it. If a team wants to pick him in the 4th round - go for it.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 8:07:48 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Not to mention that yes the trend has changed (regarding wildcat play) but are you suggesting that coaches change their entire offense and playing style for the sake of Tim Tebow? Nay. People are going to continue doing what works for them and players have to adapt to whatever the coaches decide. Based on Tebow's performance recently, it doesn't seem like he's capable of doing that atm.
President of DDO
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 8:20:14 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/4/2010 10:41:48 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
The wildcat doesn't work in the NFL?

Why not? It's just a form of the single wing, which was at one point the most popular offense IN the NFL, and it stopped being popular because of trends, not because it stopped working


That is not what he was saying. HIS wildcat will not work.
He is too slow, and big with no power. He would get killed in the NFL if he decided to run the way he did in college.

Granted, we haven't seen a real pure single wing offense run in the NFL recently, most teams just use it as a package to give the opponent an off look, but that doesn't mean it can't be used that way, and even with an off look saying he shouldn't be drafted is absurd. I'm not saying he's necessarily a first round prospect, but he's at least a high fourth, and probably better.

And i think he will be a bust!

Incidentally, it's not "his wildcat," it's just a trendy offense he's an interesting fit with (although it wouldn't technically count as a wildcat unless you called him some other postion). Tebow ran a spread-option. The spread part works in the NFL-- it's generally used as an off-package, but it was probably the basis of the Patriots' offense this year, and that was a good offense. The option doesn't more than maybe running it twice a game at best-- it's too slow to develop-- but the spreading part does.


He was saying that his fit in a wildcat would be bad.

All QB prospects should be looked at as a high risk of bust, that's just the nature of the position. But throwing mechanics can be learned, and weight rooms can be hit to strengthen up an arm. Center mechanics can DEFINITELY be learned-- of course he fumbles a lot of snaps under center, he doesn't usually play under center! He might never be great at it, but he can probably be decent.


But you would have to start from scratch and bad habits are hard to break. If you are saying that he needs to change those things you are looking at 4 years of work.

Not a good investment.

Any offense that's lacking in the backfield should draft him as, if nothing else, a back for a wildcat or spread off-package-- he'll pass better than any true wildcat back does, and he runs well enough that he could probably play the running back position straight up in the NFL, although not as the feature back. If he does really well in it, expand it.


He does not run that well.

The only reason I'd say he isn't a first round prospect, with as many things as he can do, is the fact that he'll need to be one of the toughest players in history to survive a regular role in any offense for which his talents are suitable-- he'll be hit on the run, he'll be hit while throwing, he'll be hit while blocking (wildcat packages require you to run), and he'll probably take a few illegal hits as a receiver in a defenseless position from overeager linebackers. Any attempt to protect him from getting hit hard and often will as good as doom him to mediocrity, because, while he's a prospect to play good football, he is NOT a prospect for traditional quarterbacking, even traditional "mobile" quarterbacking which is based on speeding to the outside and sliding to avoid the hit-- the closest thing I can think of to him is Steve Mcnair.

No not Mcnair.
Mcnair could throw the ball and his release was ok.

His release is more of a Leftwich.
His running skills are more like Garrard
His passing skills are more like Delhomme

That combination does not seem to make for a good player/QB.

Leftwich, Garrard, Delhomme would not excite me as a fan.

(Hey, he maybe the best player in the history of the NFL, but i doubt it. It is all speculatory at this point.)
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 9:11:02 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I have to say I agree with comon on this one. All we can do is speculate; the teams have to decide if he's worth the investment. I'd invest in him as a 4th or maybe even 3rd round draft pick, but definitely not a 1st or 2nd.
President of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 10:53:26 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/5/2010 8:07:48 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Not to mention that yes the trend has changed (regarding wildcat play) but are you suggesting that coaches change their entire offense and playing style for the sake of Tim Tebow?
Coaches should change everything based on being able to fit in the best personnel available. Especially coaches of teams that currently suck.

Nay. People are going to continue doing what works for them and players have to adapt to whatever the coaches decide.
All a coach has to do is think. It is easier to adjust a scheme than to adjust talent, and a good coach will do it. A bad coach won't, and a bad coach shouldn't draft Tebow. A good coach who already has good personnel who don't fit any scheme who Tebow would also shouldn't draft Tebow.

Based on Tebow's performance recently, it doesn't seem like he's capable of doing that atm.
If by "Recently" you mean one game under center , that's kind of an odd argument-- it takes time to adjust. But I agree that a bad coach who can't scheme around his personnel is not something Tebow can adjust to, since he's a hybrid player basically.

That is not what he was saying. HIS wildcat will not work.
He is too slow, and big with no power.
Power is pretty much the entirety of his running style. To say he has no power is to say he did not in fact play in college the way he did.

No not Mcnair.
Mcnair could throw the ball and his release was ok.
I said closest. Which isn't necessarily close.

Though Tebow can throw the ball too, see those completion percentage numbers, he just doesn't do it in an ideal manner.

His release is more of a Leftwich.
His running skills are more like Garrard
His passing skills are more like Delhomme
I can't find Garrard's college stats to see how they compare with Tebow's running, but somehow I doubt that.

Do note that every last one of those you listed has earned a starting job at some point, and Delhomme made it to a Super Bowl and was competitive in it, even if he sucked this year :P.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 10:57:35 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/5/2010 10:53:26 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
That is not what he was saying. HIS wildcat will not work.
He is too slow, and big with no power.
Power is pretty much the entirety of his running style. To say he has no power is to say he did not in fact play in college the way he did.


He gets stood up when facing some of the best in college.

Now let him go to the NFL and he will get run over by everyone!
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 10:58:32 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/5/2010 10:57:35 AM, comoncents wrote:
At 2/5/2010 10:53:26 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
That is not what he was saying. HIS wildcat will not work.
He is too slow, and big with no power.
Power is pretty much the entirety of his running style. To say he has no power is to say he did not in fact play in college the way he did.


He gets stood up when facing some of the best in college.
Can you show me this?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 10:58:34 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/5/2010 10:53:26 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
His release is more of a Leftwich.
His running skills are more like Garrard
His passing skills are more like Delhomme
I can't find Garrard's college stats to see how they compare with Tebow's running, but somehow I doubt that.

Do note that every last one of those you listed has earned a starting job at some point, and Delhomme made it to a Super Bowl and was competitive in it, even if he sucked this year :P.

Yeah but your taking some of the worse attributes from these 3.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 11:04:22 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/5/2010 10:58:34 AM, comoncents wrote:
At 2/5/2010 10:53:26 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
His release is more of a Leftwich.
His running skills are more like Garrard
His passing skills are more like Delhomme
I can't find Garrard's college stats to see how they compare with Tebow's running, but somehow I doubt that.

Do note that every last one of those you listed has earned a starting job at some point, and Delhomme made it to a Super Bowl and was competitive in it, even if he sucked this year :P.

Yeah but your taking some of the worse attributes from these 3.
If Garrard's worst attribute is running there is no way on earth your comparison can be even remotely accurate. And Delhomme is a pocket passer with 2 yards per carry, and very rare carries at that, calling passing "his worst attribute" is as good as saying he never accomplished anything, which simply isn't true. This leaves the comparison of his release to Leftwich's (who managed to be a starter with that release despite being one of the least mobile quarterbacks out there) as probably the only valid comparison.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 11:12:27 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/5/2010 10:53:26 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

All a coach has to do is think. It is easier to adjust a scheme than to adjust talent, and a good coach will do it. A bad coach won't, and a bad coach shouldn't draft Tebow. A good coach who already has good personnel who don't fit any scheme who Tebow would also shouldn't draft Tebow.

A good coach should work with what he has to produce the best possible results. If his team can adjust to Tebow's playing style, it'd perhaps be a good investment. But what I said was that a coach shouldn't expect an entire team to adapt to one person's style. It has to be a give and take. I can easily say that a good QB will make the necessary adjustments to succeed and utilize his team's strengths.
President of DDO
bkelley211
Posts: 74
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 11:13:38 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Teams pick players in the first round hoping for immediate impact players. Regardless of what position Tebow plays, he doesn't seem to be this type of player. It's tough to draft someone that high without even being sure of what position he will play.
bkelley211
Posts: 74
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 11:18:05 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/5/2010 11:12:27 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 2/5/2010 10:53:26 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

All a coach has to do is think. It is easier to adjust a scheme than to adjust talent, and a good coach will do it. A bad coach won't, and a bad coach shouldn't draft Tebow. A good coach who already has good personnel who don't fit any scheme who Tebow would also shouldn't draft Tebow.

A good coach should work with what he has to produce the best possible results. If his team can adjust to Tebow's playing style, it'd perhaps be a good investment. But what I said was that a coach shouldn't expect an entire team to adapt to one person's style. It has to be a give and take. I can easily say that a good QB will make the necessary adjustments to succeed and utilize his team's strengths.

For a coach to push to draft Tebow is a risk. If Tebow is a bust--as many people think he will be--the coach could be gone fairly quickly, especially if he used a high draft pick.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 11:20:38 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/5/2010 11:13:38 AM, bkelley211 wrote:
Teams pick players in the first round hoping for immediate impact players. Regardless of what position Tebow plays, he doesn't seem to be this type of player. It's tough to draft someone that high without even being sure of what position he will play.

But every year we have that one team that just seems a dumb as anyone.

Last year it was the Raiders
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 11:41:19 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/5/2010 11:12:27 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 2/5/2010 10:53:26 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

All a coach has to do is think. It is easier to adjust a scheme than to adjust talent, and a good coach will do it. A bad coach won't, and a bad coach shouldn't draft Tebow. A good coach who already has good personnel who don't fit any scheme who Tebow would also shouldn't draft Tebow.

A good coach should work with what he has to produce the best possible results. If his team can adjust to Tebow's playing style, it'd perhaps be a good investment. But what I said was that a coach shouldn't expect an entire team to adapt to one person's style. It has to be a give and take. I can easily say that a good QB will make the necessary adjustments to succeed and utilize his team's strengths.

Michael Vick is an excellent player who plays the QB position. But he will never, ever, successfully adjust to a modern west-coast offense. It's impossible and absurd to ask.

Tebow should and can adjust to working under center. But any team whose "Strengths" are such that they do not permit him to make good use of his is a team he does not belong on. Antoine Winfield is a good player, but stick him in the Jets scheme at CB and he will utterly fail (He might play decent safety in it though, you never know-- and if there aren't any teams that have an ideal scheme for Tebow there are probably some who could use him in some other position).
Ideally, I think a place like the Bills is probably a best fit. They have almost no offense (and thus almost no strengths for him to adjust to). Pump all the resources except picking Tebow when he falls to the third or fourth into defense, put him in close games and see if he can eek out the occasional score more than what they allow. It's not like they'll get anywhere without taking risks, they kinda suck right now. At the very least it'll put on a good show and sell tickets.

At 2/5/2010 11:18:05 AM, bkelley211 wrote:
At 2/5/2010 11:12:27 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 2/5/2010 10:53:26 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

All a coach has to do is think. It is easier to adjust a scheme than to adjust talent, and a good coach will do it. A bad coach won't, and a bad coach shouldn't draft Tebow. A good coach who already has good personnel who don't fit any scheme who Tebow would also shouldn't draft Tebow.

A good coach should work with what he has to produce the best possible results. If his team can adjust to Tebow's playing style, it'd perhaps be a good investment. But what I said was that a coach shouldn't expect an entire team to adapt to one person's style. It has to be a give and take. I can easily say that a good QB will make the necessary adjustments to succeed and utilize his team's strengths.

For a coach to push to draft Tebow is a risk.
Drafting any QB is by definition a risk.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
bkelley211
Posts: 74
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 12:18:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/5/2010 11:41:19 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 2/5/2010 11:12:27 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 2/5/2010 10:53:26 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

All a coach has to do is think. It is easier to adjust a scheme than to adjust talent, and a good coach will do it. A bad coach won't, and a bad coach shouldn't draft Tebow. A good coach who already has good personnel who don't fit any scheme who Tebow would also shouldn't draft Tebow.

A good coach should work with what he has to produce the best possible results. If his team can adjust to Tebow's playing style, it'd perhaps be a good investment. But what I said was that a coach shouldn't expect an entire team to adapt to one person's style. It has to be a give and take. I can easily say that a good QB will make the necessary adjustments to succeed and utilize his team's strengths.

Michael Vick is an excellent player who plays the QB position. But he will never, ever, successfully adjust to a modern west-coast offense. It's impossible and absurd to ask.

Tebow should and can adjust to working under center. But any team whose "Strengths" are such that they do not permit him to make good use of his is a team he does not belong on. Antoine Winfield is a good player, but stick him in the Jets scheme at CB and he will utterly fail (He might play decent safety in it though, you never know-- and if there aren't any teams that have an ideal scheme for Tebow there are probably some who could use him in some other position).
Ideally, I think a place like the Bills is probably a best fit. They have almost no offense (and thus almost no strengths for him to adjust to). Pump all the resources except picking Tebow when he falls to the third or fourth into defense, put him in close games and see if he can eek out the occasional score more than what they allow. It's not like they'll get anywhere without taking risks, they kinda suck right now. At the very least it'll put on a good show and sell tickets.

At 2/5/2010 11:18:05 AM, bkelley211 wrote:
At 2/5/2010 11:12:27 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 2/5/2010 10:53:26 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

All a coach has to do is think. It is easier to adjust a scheme than to adjust talent, and a good coach will do it. A bad coach won't, and a bad coach shouldn't draft Tebow. A good coach who already has good personnel who don't fit any scheme who Tebow would also shouldn't draft Tebow.

A good coach should work with what he has to produce the best possible results. If his team can adjust to Tebow's playing style, it'd perhaps be a good investment. But what I said was that a coach shouldn't expect an entire team to adapt to one person's style. It has to be a give and take. I can easily say that a good QB will make the necessary adjustments to succeed and utilize his team's strengths.

For a coach to push to draft Tebow is a risk.
Drafting any QB is by definition a risk.

So you agree. :)

Inheriting a player is different than drafting one. Certainly a good coach would work with the talent he has. But, would a good coach draft Tebow? Third, fourth round--maybe. First round?

The Bills could be interesting. It may take a few years to build anything. For a player like Tebow--who isn't overwhelmingly talented--to play on a team with little talent sounds like a formula for failure.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 12:31:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/5/2010 12:18:24 PM, bkelley211 wrote:
At 2/5/2010 11:41:19 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 2/5/2010 11:12:27 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 2/5/2010 10:53:26 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

All a coach has to do is think. It is easier to adjust a scheme than to adjust talent, and a good coach will do it. A bad coach won't, and a bad coach shouldn't draft Tebow. A good coach who already has good personnel who don't fit any scheme who Tebow would also shouldn't draft Tebow.

A good coach should work with what he has to produce the best possible results. If his team can adjust to Tebow's playing style, it'd perhaps be a good investment. But what I said was that a coach shouldn't expect an entire team to adapt to one person's style. It has to be a give and take. I can easily say that a good QB will make the necessary adjustments to succeed and utilize his team's strengths.

Michael Vick is an excellent player who plays the QB position. But he will never, ever, successfully adjust to a modern west-coast offense. It's impossible and absurd to ask.

Tebow should and can adjust to working under center. But any team whose "Strengths" are such that they do not permit him to make good use of his is a team he does not belong on. Antoine Winfield is a good player, but stick him in the Jets scheme at CB and he will utterly fail (He might play decent safety in it though, you never know-- and if there aren't any teams that have an ideal scheme for Tebow there are probably some who could use him in some other position).
Ideally, I think a place like the Bills is probably a best fit. They have almost no offense (and thus almost no strengths for him to adjust to). Pump all the resources except picking Tebow when he falls to the third or fourth into defense, put him in close games and see if he can eek out the occasional score more than what they allow. It's not like they'll get anywhere without taking risks, they kinda suck right now. At the very least it'll put on a good show and sell tickets.

At 2/5/2010 11:18:05 AM, bkelley211 wrote:
At 2/5/2010 11:12:27 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 2/5/2010 10:53:26 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

All a coach has to do is think. It is easier to adjust a scheme than to adjust talent, and a good coach will do it. A bad coach won't, and a bad coach shouldn't draft Tebow. A good coach who already has good personnel who don't fit any scheme who Tebow would also shouldn't draft Tebow.

A good coach should work with what he has to produce the best possible results. If his team can adjust to Tebow's playing style, it'd perhaps be a good investment. But what I said was that a coach shouldn't expect an entire team to adapt to one person's style. It has to be a give and take. I can easily say that a good QB will make the necessary adjustments to succeed and utilize his team's strengths.

For a coach to push to draft Tebow is a risk.
Drafting any QB is by definition a risk.

So you agree. :)

Inheriting a player is different than drafting one. Certainly a good coach would work with the talent he has. But, would a good coach draft Tebow? Third, fourth round--maybe. First round?

The Bills could be interesting. It may take a few years to build anything. For a player like Tebow--who isn't overwhelmingly talented--to play on a team with little talent sounds like a formula for failure.

He isn't overwhelmingly talented?

He's an excellent power runner who is also a quarterback, that's a very rare set of talents. He'll probably be inconsistent, which is a liability if you invest heavily in the rest of the offense, but if you invest heavily in the defense the "ups and downs" of his playing should produce just enough "ups" to be competitive in low scoring games in, yes, a few years, and fun to see being built in the meantime.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 12:50:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
So, in other words, every player on occasion :P.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.