2014 NFL Draft

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 1:18:21 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
So the NFL draft is this Thursday...

Anyone have any thoughts or predictions?

I guess I'll provide mine on a few key picks

1) Texans

This is a tough spot that the Texans are in. They need a QB, but there isn't one worth taking here. Clowney is the only guy worth taking in this spot, and he doesn't fit the biggest need. I know they've been trying to trade down, but trading away the top pick is difficult because other teams have to give up a lot.

Ultimately, I see the Texans doing 1 of 2 things.

A) Drafting Clowney.

It's not the worst thing that could happen. Clowney should be a great player with the right coaching and the Texans improve a front 7 that's already got a lot of talent.

B) Trade down and draft Bortles (or any QB)

Bortles seems like the right choice for them, and I have to imagine that moving down 6 or 7 spots and nabbing him would be the ideal situation for them.

Prediction: They take Clowney. He's by far the best player in the draft, so they just stay put and take him.

2) Rams

Taking Greg Robinson, OT. I can't imagine a more sure thing in any draft than this.

3) Jaguars

I think the Jags will stick with tradition and make Manziel there most recent bust at QB.

4) Browns

Might take Manziel if he's available... Otherwise go with O line and take Jake Mathews.

5) Raiders

Teddy Bridgewater.

If they don't reach on a WR, this is the smart choice for them.

6) Falcons

Fix up D line with Khalil Mack.

7) Bucs

Sammy Watkins

The Raiders will think about it, but the Bucs will probably end up with him.

8) Vikings

Blake Bortles

Need a QB. Here's a QB. I hope this doesn't happen because he should make the Vikes more competitive.

9) Bills

Improve the O-line with Taylor Lewan

Well that's my hastily thrown together top 9 picks... I doubt I'll do an entire first round mock, but I'll likely add some other picks (like the packers) and make some other predictions...

So anyone else have any thoughts on the 2014 NFL draft?
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 1:28:21 AM
At 5/7/2014 1:18:21 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
3) Jaguars

I think the Jags will stick with tradition and make Manziel there most recent bust at QB.

their*
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 1:29:45 AM
At 5/7/2014 1:19:44 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
SOOOO ALLLLLLLL OVER THlS TOMOORRRRRWRRRRROOOOWWWWWW!!!!

haha I'm surprised no one else made a draft thread yet... So I figured I'd just do it and just come up with some random thoughts that I didn't give much thought to.. The top 10 shouldn't be too tough to predict, but there might be some surprises.
Debate.org Moderator
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 1:30:58 AM
Texans are easy.

They offer the R1 pick for trade to see if they can get an RG3 like trade to get a bunch of R1 picks over several years. Or a number of picks for this year.

Lets say they trade the Browns for their #4 pick, their R2 pick and a R1 and R2 pick next year (I doubt this would happen, but they'd accept it). The Browns would still have a R1 (though much lower). The #4 could still be used to get a top QB (Manziel or Bortles) and they would have a bunch of good picks later this year and next year to improve their team.

Though I doubt they would get a good enough trade and will take Clowey. They need that defense to go against Luck twice a year, and that will put more pressure on Jacksonville and Tampa to draft QBs, incase they were thinking of waiting.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 1:43:32 AM
At 5/7/2014 1:31:35 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
You think Bridgewater over Bortles.

He's the safer pick, and more NFL-ready, but less upside. I really don't know what will happen there, but I think the Raiders would be smarter to take Teddy. In the end though, I think they take Watkins and build for this year with Schaub and hope for the best. If that's the case, Bridgewater will fall a bit in the draft.
Debate.org Moderator
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 2:21:20 PM
At 5/7/2014 1:43:32 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 5/7/2014 1:31:35 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
You think Bridgewater over Bortles.

He's the safer pick, and more NFL-ready, but less upside. I really don't know what will happen there, but I think the Raiders would be smarter to take Teddy. In the end though, I think they take Watkins and build for this year with Schaub and hope for the best. If that's the case, Bridgewater will fall a bit in the draft.

After his pro day, he clearly is not as ready as once believed. Though there has been talks that may have been being sick or injured (though doubt it). You have to remember that he is also pretty small, so the teams he can work on are limited (he's not gonna survive in the NFC West). I have him as either #3 or #4 QB.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 2:27:54 PM
2) Rams, they will have to take Greg Robinson, even if Clowley gets passed R1. The division that they are in, with Seattle and San Fran needs to strengthen their OLine, period. A new QB behind a weak line is going to be ripped to shreds.

3) Jags. I have to agree with the Manziel pick here. Especially with Houston boosting their defense with Clowley. I'll go more into it when I get home, but it is shocking how similar Manziel is to Cam Newton, not just in skills but in history.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 8:18:25 PM
The links between Manziel and Cam Newton. Let's do it this way...

Which player was given the following "strengths" in their Draft Profile? Dynamic athlete. Exceptional game-day competitor -- rises to the occasion. Has a passion for the game. Terrific scrambling ability. Carries the ball with a fearless confidence that he will find a way to create and usually gains positive yardage on broken plays when he appears trapped. Is mentally and physically tough -- will pop back up from hard collisions and respond to a challenge. Fierce competitor and emotional leader. Frequently evades the rush for second-chance opportunities.

Which player was given the following "weaknesses" in their profile? Undisciplined. Numerous off the field issues. Poor footwork. Has not developed a reputation as a worker or for doing the extras. Carries a sense of entitlement and prima-donna arrogance.

Which Player set records for passing yards against SEC defenses known for their crushing power?

The answers? Both of them for all.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 10:58:35 PM
#4 Browns.

Cleveland currently has an average OL. They ranked #18 for their run protection and #17 for their pass protection.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com...

So they might pass on the OT and go for Watkins. After all, they already have a great TE, and 1 good WR. Adding a second WR, while still having another R1 pick (#26) to get a good QB may be a better bet for them.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 11:04:24 PM
At 5/7/2014 10:58:35 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
#4 Browns.

Cleveland currently has an average OL. They ranked #18 for their run protection and #17 for their pass protection.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com...

So they might pass on the OT and go for Watkins. After all, they already have a great TE, and 1 good WR. Adding a second WR, while still having another R1 pick (#26) to get a good QB may be a better bet for them.

I think they are likely to go for the WR and then late in the round grab Teddy is he falls.
Debate.org Moderator
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 11:08:12 PM
Raiders are going to be looking between these three position players. Jake Matthews (OT), Sammy Watkins (WR), and Manziel (QB) (or Bortles). Given the league that they play in, The QB and OT will take priority over the WR. Though, I can really see them offering trade bait. They are in need of multiple players, not just 1 big time player. So it is in their interest to try to get 3 good players, rather than 1 great player. And I know every team in the NFC West needs more OT power (especially the Seahawks, and I think they can swing their back up QB as trade bait, with a few draft rounds).

Plus, it might not be too bad to have the team still fail this next year to get a top pick, since Mariota and likely Winston will be going in the draft, so there will be more QBs next draft. It might be a good idea to spend this draft fortifying around the empty QB spot and deal with that spot next year. After all, no one is going to ride on the Raiders for doing poorly, since it is still the Manning era in that division. They want their new QB to start strong right as Manning is ending.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 7:31:35 PM
And the Jags have taken Blake Bortles at #3....

first surprise of the draft... But that's a great pick.
Debate.org Moderator
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 7:35:42 PM
At 5/8/2014 7:31:35 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Looks like they are trying to follow the Luck style, rather than the RG3 and Wilson style.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 7:36:55 PM
At 5/8/2014 7:35:42 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 5/8/2014 7:31:35 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Looks like they are trying to follow the Luck style, rather than the RG3 and Wilson style.

Your Bills just traded up and took Sammy Watkins... How do you feel about that?
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 7:38:04 PM
At 5/8/2014 7:36:49 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Oh come on Bills, WTF!?

Watkins is gona be great... but they need more than just a WR... not sure I would have given up what they did for him...
Debate.org Moderator
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 7:42:38 PM
At 5/8/2014 7:38:04 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Oh come on Bills, WTF!?

Watkins is gona be great... but they need more than just a WR... not sure I would have given up what they did for him...

They need protection for their young QB. Though one commentor mentioned that with a new owner, if they don't make a sudden change they are all fired any way, so go risky.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 7:46:19 PM
At 5/8/2014 7:42:38 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 5/8/2014 7:38:04 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Oh come on Bills, WTF!?

They need protection for their young QB. Though one commentor mentioned that with a new owner, if they don't make a sudden change they are all fired any way, so go risky.

Yeah, it's understandable with new management... and Watkins should be a great player, but they have other spots to fill...
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 7:46:38 PM
All I want from this draft is for the Packers to get C.J. Mosley... I really hope he falls to 21
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 7:49:15 PM
Raiders surprised me with Khalil Mack @#5, but that's a great pick and he should really help out that D.

Buccaneers need a QB... Manziel might end up there...
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 9:00:09 PM
At 5/8/2014 7:46:38 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
All I want from this draft is for the Packers to get C.J. Mosley... I really hope he falls to 21

Ravens take Mosley @17... Boo
Debate.org Moderator
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 1:54:44 AM
So R1 is in the books. Let's see what we go going on.

Draft winners...

Browns - They were moving around like crazy (involved in 4 first round trades, one of which was in the middle of last season) and grabbed Johnny Manziel (QB) and Justin Gilbert (CB). This gives them a dynamic QB and a very potent secondary. Their division isn't too tough as is, so these can go a long way. In addition to this, they grabbed another R1 pick for next year (as well as an R5 for next year), but did have to give up their 3rd and 5th round picks (I think the trade to the Vikings was pointless, but meh). The loss of the 3rd pick hurts a bit, but not the 5th and they still have a high 2nd round pick to continue to add to their team. I'd say that they are, right now, a wild card potential team. And with an early R2 pick in this deep draft and their 2 R1's next year, they are starting to look like a potentially solid team.

Rams - Still reaping the rewards for not taking RG3 (can you imagine how pounded into the ground he would be if he had to face the Seahawks and 49ers for 4 games a year?). They bolster their line, both offensive and defensive with their two picks. Robinson on the O-line (best O-line player available) and Donald on the D-line (Best Tackle available and 2nd best D-line player of any kind). This only re-enforces that the NFC West is the SEC of the NFL. If they can get a solid QB (not likely in this draft, since Houston will likely take Carr, or settle with Fitzpatrick), though Savage might not be too bad (mid R2 is pretty soon for him to be picked, but he's a big 6'4 which is helpful in such a powerful division, still not sure how Wilson is surviving but go Wilson all the way!).

Seattle - Yes, even though they traded their pick, I'm gonna call them a winner, though that is dependent on how R2 plays out. Their are 2 good OTs left (before dropping to the next tier), Cyrus and Morgan. There is also the OG, Bitonio that would fit well. So they dropped 8 spots with 3 potential targets to pick up an R4 pick. It is highly unlikely that all will be gone, so they didn't really lose anything by falling. We know that Houston will take Carr, as the last of the T1 QBs in the draft (and he is really a T1.5, but that trade to give Bridgewater to the Vikings really pissed Houston off). I can't picture the Redskins not focusing on defense, though RG3 does need protection, but he also needs targets, and that team is just a mess. The Browns already grabbed a big OT, so they probably won't grab another. The Bucs and the Raiders still need QBs (though the raiders can hold off a year). So the odds look good for this to be a smart trade.

The losers of R1.

Colts - Trading their R1 for Richardson was an epic fail. They could have grabbed more protection for Luck, or more targets (though there is tons and tons of depth in the WR category). There are a ton of good running backs that are all gonna be 3rd and 4th round picks on that you could wait for (but then, I'm all for evolving the RB into the speed backs that can also catch, rather then the pound the ground style). They won't get their first pick until late R2 and will not likely be able to get any good O-linemen for Luck.

Bills - Well, I thought they were gonna try to draft an owner, but they didn't. I like Watkins, he's a great player and will find success anywhere. He will also pair very well with Stevie Johnson to get that duel threat out in the field. However, as said earlier. This draft is freaking DEEP with WRs, and Bills do not need to throw away their depth to get just one. They could have (and should have) gotten Matthews, or at least Khalil. Their division has the Pats defense and the Jets defense. E.J. can't work from his back. If they were just looking for speed, so that Johnson could be a possession receiver and have someone else go deep, but there were 8 guys faster than Walkins, including my personal fav (at least as WRs go), Cooks (go Beavers!).
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 1:58:26 AM
Though just read an interesting story that came out before the draft.

http://www.rotoworld.com...

"Sources tell WGR 550 Buffalo that the Bills will likely put Stevie Johnson on the trade block if they draft a wide receiver early."
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 2:23:47 AM
At 5/9/2014 1:54:44 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Draft winners...

The Packers got the best safety in the draft (I'm really surprised he fell to #21)... and while his name sounds like a 90's Jay Leno joke punchline, he should be a huge improvement for the secondary. I couldn't be happier with their selection...

Go Packers.
Debate.org Moderator
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 7:32:07 PM
At 5/9/2014 2:23:47 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 5/9/2014 1:54:44 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Draft winners...

The Packers got the best safety in the draft (I'm really surprised he fell to #21)... and while his name sounds like a 90's Jay Leno joke punchline, he should be a huge improvement for the secondary. I couldn't be happier with their selection...

Go Packers.

No, the Jets got the best. Ha Ha is definitely quicker (as far as agility), but both have the same speed to cover the deep, and Calvin is wickedly strong so he can definitely be used for Blitz and terrorizing the defenses (he'll be a threat in the redzone).
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 7:32:43 PM
At 5/9/2014 6:10:28 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:
Stevie Johnson to the Niners for a mid round pick? Yes!

Damn, I was really hoping Seattle would grab him, but I also thought he'd be a great fit for Indy.