Debate an olympic spot?

comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2010 11:21:55 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Anyone for or against it.
THe language barrier would be hard but what do you think?

Warning:
(Article has nothing to do with this topic other than just advocating weather we have too many or not enough games in the olympics.)

http://roomfordebate.blogs.nytimes.com...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2010 11:33:16 AM
Meh, I think a lot of the worthwhile topics woudl be muddy waters for a lot of the nations.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2010 11:35:49 AM
If it were, then other stuff would have to be put in there, Chess, checkers, guitar battles, rap battles, Ironing.
kfc
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2010 6:31:21 PM
At 3/1/2010 11:33:16 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Meh, I think a lot of the worthwhile topics woudl be muddy waters for a lot of the nations.

But that would make it fun.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2010 7:18:18 PM
At 3/3/2010 5:34:59 PM, LakevilleNorthJT wrote:
The big problem would definitely be the language barrier, I can see a lot of arguments going into what language would be used.

English perhaps? It is already pretty much an international language. Or even better, they could have interpreters like at the UN.
SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2010 7:40:22 PM
The big problem would definitely be the language barrier, I can see a lot of arguments going into what language would be used.

My god, the Kritikal ground for the neg would be HUGE for any Olympic debate, just based off of what language the other team happens to use, much less anything else.

Also good luck verifying evidence and finding judges that can actually understand whats being said in say an Afghanistan A team vs a Japan B team debate

Also there is the issue of words in one language not having a translation in another (though this may just be a problem mostly with English, the mutt of almost anything)
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2010 8:01:08 PM

That is what I think.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 2:39:30 PM
Language barrier will be too significant a problem. Perhaps we could have an English-Only Speech and Language Competition and include debate and improvisational speaking in there.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light