Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

MMA becoming WWE

Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2010 4:42:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Hershel Walker is in Strikeforce, not UFC.

James Toney is the current NABO and IBA Heavyweight champion. How is he a freakshow?

I fail to see how MMA is now acted, like WWE.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2010 4:42:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/4/2010 4:42:07 PM, Nags wrote:
James Toney is the current NABO and IBA Heavyweight champion.

For boxing, that is.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2010 4:49:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/4/2010 4:42:07 PM, Nags wrote:
Hershel Walker is in Strikeforce, not UFC.


That is why i said MMA

James Toney is the current NABO and IBA Heavyweight champion. How is he a freakshow?


But his age and lack of real mma experience tagged with the constant, mma vs boxing debate makes this a type of freak show.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2010 4:51:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/4/2010 4:49:39 PM, comoncents wrote:
But his age and lack of real mma experience tagged with the constant, mma vs boxing debate makes this a type of freak show.

Randy Couture is five years younger than Toney. I don't think the lack of MMA experience makes him a freak-show. Brock Lesnar had little to no MMA experience before entering the UFC, and now he's the Undisputed UFC Heavyweight Champion. Toney's boxing experience, and his success in boxing, makes him qualified to be in the UFC.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2010 6:29:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/4/2010 4:51:56 PM, Nags wrote:
At 3/4/2010 4:49:39 PM, comoncents wrote:
But his age and lack of real mma experience tagged with the constant, mma vs boxing debate makes this a type of freak show.

Randy Couture is five years younger than Toney. I don't think the lack of MMA experience makes him a freak-show. Brock Lesnar had little to no MMA experience before entering the UFC, and now he's the Undisputed UFC Heavyweight Champion. Toney's boxing experience, and his success in boxing, makes him qualified to be in the UFC.

Yeah but Brock was a freak show in his own right. One that payed off but at the time it looked and felt like a freak show.

These things are highly unusual. Thats what makes it a freak show in the context I put it in.
These highly unusual acts will not translate well if it does not work out as Brock has.

I am just saying?
philosphical
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 7:21:19 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/4/2010 6:29:03 PM, comoncents wrote:
At 3/4/2010 4:51:56 PM, Nags wrote:
At 3/4/2010 4:49:39 PM, comoncents wrote:
But his age and lack of real mma experience tagged with the constant, mma vs boxing debate makes this a type of freak show.

Randy Couture is five years younger than Toney. I don't think the lack of MMA experience makes him a freak-show. Brock Lesnar had little to no MMA experience before entering the UFC, and now he's the Undisputed UFC Heavyweight Champion. Toney's boxing experience, and his success in boxing, makes him qualified to be in the UFC.

Yeah but Brock was a freak show in his own right. One that payed off but at the time it looked and felt like a freak show.

These things are highly unusual. Thats what makes it a freak show in the context I put it in.
These highly unusual acts will not translate well if it does not work out as Brock has.

I am just saying?

Brokc I know came from WWE, but his style has changed alot since he has been trained.

But no, MMA will never be like WWE. If it does, then my interest in it will soon fade and die.

There is a vast difference between the two though.

UFC is a sport.
WWE is acting.
Your mouths writing checks that your @ss can't cash!
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2010 7:29:54 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
UFC is a sport.

Not just UFC, but MMA?

WWE is acting.

I know but the reason for this was to discuss if MMA is turning into the freak show that WWE has been.

Getting old boxers to fight or jacked wrestlers as an attraction.
philosphical
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2010 1:10:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/19/2010 7:29:54 AM, comoncents wrote:
UFC is a sport.

Not just UFC, but MMA?

WWE is acting.

I know but the reason for this was to discuss if MMA is turning into the freak show that WWE has been.

Getting old boxers to fight or jacked wrestlers as an attraction.

Well at least they don't have the acting part down yet.

I would have to dis-agree. While it appears that MMA is mainly trying to just get publicity by using popular fighters, I would have to classify WWE and MMA far off of each other. MMA still uses proper technique and fighting skills, and the cameras really are irrelevant.
Your mouths writing checks that your @ss can't cash!
TheSkeptic
Posts: 1,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2010 1:06:15 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I know but the reason for this was to discuss if MMA is turning into the freak show that WWE has been.

Getting old boxers to fight or jacked wrestlers as an attraction.

Well, it's pretty much just companies trying to get whoever they can find with a big name and some suitable fighting background. I wouldn't give this guy 5 minutes with guys in the UFC -- props to his physique at this age but it isn't happening. Dana White has constantly spoken about Strikeforce being sh!t, and he's pretty accurate on that (Strikeforce Nashville was a big wound for Strikeforce, CBS, and the sport).