Jump to topic:

CFB Final Four Teams

AdamEsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 10:40:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Alright everyone. I want to hear some interesting College Football Final Four predictions. I've been told mine is rather unusual but here it is.

Florida Gators
Oklahoma Sooners
Michigan State Spartans
UCLA Bruins
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 10:56:53 PM
I have...

Oregon
Florida State
Ohio State
SEC Champ (whoever that may be).

I really want them to expand it to 8 teams, which the champ from each of the power 5 getting a spot automatically and 3 wild card spots.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
AdamEsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 12:04:33 AM
I really want them to expand it to 8 teams, which the champ from each of the power 5 getting a spot automatically and 3 wild card spots.

I bet they do the year Alabama doesn't make the Final Four haha. And you think Ohio State will make it withOUT Braxton Miller??
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 12:35:52 AM
At 8/29/2014 12:04:33 AM, AdamEsk wrote:

I bet they do the year Alabama doesn't make the Final Four haha. And you think Ohio State will make it withOUT Braxton Miller??

I forgot about that. I'll have to really re-think this I'll get back to you in about 10 weeks, lol.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 2:36:46 AM
Well, Ohio clearly showed that they are not ready to be without Miller. FSU and Alabama showed their weakness. Oregon has three main tests and it has to pass ALL of them to get to the final four. #8 Michigan State (at home, thankfully), at #7 UCLA (they showed significant weakness in week 1), and of course #11 Stanford. If they do all three, I don't see them choking in the championship game (though now that I said that, they will). If they stumble, they can only afford to do so against M. State or UCLA (and both would have to be close games). If they decimate Stanford (which would hopefully be a top 10 by the time they play) and win in the championship game, they could get back in with 1 loss.

With how tough Stanford's schedule is, I could see them losing to the Ducks and still making it in. If they beat #15 USC next week (they should be #14 or #13 once the new polls are out), then they have at #25 Washington (who should drop out of the top 25 after this week's poor win, but may be back in by then), then at #17 Notre Dame (probably be around #15 or so by then, they have no hard opponents before Stanford). Then #17 Arizona State. A loss to a #1-3 Ducks, on the Duck's home turf should not hurt them much. Then they get to end on #7 UCLA, that may be enough to get them a consideration.

If FSU does not get their stuff together, they could win and not be in the final 4. In the last 13 years, the ACC Champion has only been in the top 4 twice (2013 and 2007), so if they stumble and have poor wins, like they did this week, I could see them not getting back in (though if they go undefeated, even with bad wins, they will probably get back in).

We can say the same about the Big Ten. Michigan State finished #4 last year, but you have to go back to 2007 to the last time the Big Ten Champ finished in the top 4. With Ohio State not going to make it and if Michigan State loses to Oregon, I have a hard time seeing them climbing back to the top (Ohio State may barely be a top 25 by the time Michigan State gets to them, and that would leave them with no strong opponents on their schedule after Oregon).

So I'm going to say the Pac 12 Champs, the SEC Champs, and the Big Ten Champs, plus 1 WC (that will be either from the Pac 12 or the SEC).

The Pac 12 will be either Oregon or Stanford (as it has been for the last 5 years), USC is not quite back yet, I'm leaning towards Oregon, but they have a history of choking.

For the SEC, it is again, going to fall on the winner of the Iron Bowl, either Alabama or Auburn. I was thinking Texas A&M, but they have to go through at Auburn, at Alabama and LSU. And that is all in the second half of the season. I don't think they survive all that. And since the Iron Bowl is in Alabama this year, I give them the edge (though I don't like how poor they did week 1).

In the Big 12, we are looking at Baylor or Oklahoma. They face each other late in the season, but it is at Oklahoma so I give them the victory. However, they do have to win out. A single loss and they are out of it (no championship game for the Big 12).

So, my predictions are...

Oregon, Alabama, FSU (they will get their act together, they only face two ranked opponents and both are at home), Oklahoma (their only touch opponents are also at home, so they should get stuff done).

Should either (or both) FSU or Oklahoma stub their toes (and with their week schedules, a single stub dooms them), Stanford and Auburn will be waiting (and I have Texas A&M as a sleeper).
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 5:46:57 PM
At 8/28/2014 10:56:53 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
I have...

Oregon
Florida State
Ohio State

I agree spot on with alabama being the fourth and probably the winner
Value_LLL
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2014 8:44:26 AM
Granted, there is a long way to go and week one is not a clear indication of any team.... but judging from week one, I would say...

MSU
Auburn
FSU
OU
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2014 6:31:46 PM
At 9/5/2014 8:44:26 AM, Value_LLL wrote:
Granted, there is a long way to go and week one is not a clear indication of any team.... but judging from week one, I would say...

MSU
Auburn
FSU
OU

Presuming MSU is Michigan State University, they are out. Even if they win out, their opponent's are not challenging enough to earn them a spot (unless all other divisions collapse).
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2014 6:48:26 PM
The Big Ten will almost certainly not be represented. They have completely failed in their opportunities to show that they are on the same level with the rest of the Power 5 (I still want to see it fall to a Power 4, it would make an 8 team playoff so much more simple).

Though not all non-conference games are done, here is where they currently sit.

For the Big Ten, in their non-conference vs the rest of the Power Five, they are only 1-7, with the 1 win being Rutgers against Washington State (Rutgers is new to the Big Ten this year and WSU is the worst team in the Pac 12). So far, against non-conference teams that started in the top 25, they are 0-4 (against Oregon, LSU, Notre Dame, and Washington [who started #25, but has since fallen out of the top 25]).

On the flip side, the Pac 12 is currently 4-1 (and USC will likely pull a win out later today to sweep the ACC). I'd wager that the Pac 12 finishes 6-2 (winning USC vs Boston College and UCLA vs Texas, but losing Utah vs Michigan). They will also likely finish 3-1 vs top 25 (and 1-0 vs top 10). Notre Dame has 3 games against Pac 12 teams, all ranked (#9 USC, #15 Stanford, and #16 Arizona State, and they are home for only the Stanford game).

The SEC is currently 3-0, while the ACC is 2-2 (but they are 1-1 vs top 10 teams). Big 12 has not been done yet, but they should be sitting around 2-2 as well.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2014 2:15:44 PM
With week 3 fully in the books, here are the non-conference power 5 game standings.

SEC, 4-1 (2-1 vs Top 25, 0-1 vs Top 10)
Pac 12, 5-2 (1-0 vs Top 25, 1-0 vs Top 10)
ACC, 4-2 (2-2 vs Top 25, 1-1 vs Top 10)
Big 12, 4-4 (0-2 vs Top 25, 0-2 vs Top 10)
Big Ten, 1-8 (0-5 vs Top 25, 0-1 vs Top 10)
Value_LLL
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 12:50:31 PM
At 9/13/2014 6:48:26 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
The Big Ten will almost certainly not be represented. They have completely failed in their opportunities to show that they are on the same level with the rest of the Power 5 (I still want to see it fall to a Power 4, it would make an 8 team playoff so much more simple).

Though not all non-conference games are done, here is where they currently sit.

For the Big Ten, in their non-conference vs the rest of the Power Five, they are only 1-7, with the 1 win being Rutgers against Washington State (Rutgers is new to the Big Ten this year and WSU is the worst team in the Pac 12). So far, against non-conference teams that started in the top 25, they are 0-4 (against Oregon, LSU, Notre Dame, and Washington [who started #25, but has since fallen out of the top 25]).

On the flip side, the Pac 12 is currently 4-1 (and USC will likely pull a win out later today to sweep the ACC). I'd wager that the Pac 12 finishes 6-2 (winning USC vs Boston College and UCLA vs Texas, but losing Utah vs Michigan). They will also likely finish 3-1 vs top 25 (and 1-0 vs top 10). Notre Dame has 3 games against Pac 12 teams, all ranked (#9 USC, #15 Stanford, and #16 Arizona State, and they are home for only the Stanford game).

The SEC is currently 3-0, while the ACC is 2-2 (but they are 1-1 vs top 10 teams). Big 12 has not been done yet, but they should be sitting around 2-2 as well.

If you were critiquing my picks... well mine were from week one. Prior to Oregon beating MSU.

However, I will say that it is fairly extremely unlikely that a Big Ten team makes it to the playoffs (as of now), BUT it is not out of the realm of possibility. The Big Ten has 2 hopes, MSU and Nebraska. And even then, they both somewhat need some help. The Big Ten hasn't faired well against the Power 5, but as I am about to mention, there is still hope.

You say that they will almost certainly not be represented, but we have to keep in mind that the playoffs are not based on rankings. The committee is to select who they believe are the 4 best teams. MSUs only loss is to Oregon who the AP currently have at #2 and MSU gave Oregon all they could handle for 3 quarters. MSU has a great chance at running the table and beating ranked teams in Neb, Ohio St, and possibly Penn St if they are ranked come the time to play. I am not calling that a world beater schedule by any stretch, but since this is based on a committee that incorporates the eye test, it is not impossible that they could make it.

Nebraska is AP ranked and undefeated with ROAD games to ranked MSU and Wisconsin. Both are teams that are doing very well as of late. Nebraska has to win out (undefeated season) in order to have a chance. Not very likely, but possible.

As of right now though, the best teams IMO (from MOV, SOS, eye test)... I would have to go with Alabama, Oklahoma, Oregon, and Texas A&M.

FSU has not looked that great in any of their 3 victories. Their schedule doesn't get much tougher from here on out either. They have Notre dame and that is about it. Va Tech has gone to crap since Ohio St. Miami is struggling. There are no other ACC standouts really.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 7:57:10 PM
At 8/29/2014 12:04:33 AM, AdamEsk wrote:

How DARE YOU talk me out of Ohio State, lol.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 8:01:00 PM
GT could still bump FSU out, and Missouri could knock off Alabama. But it looks like Ohio State will not pass TCU and will only be sitting at #5 (even if they win their champ game, unless they look really good, I don't see them bumping TCU with their 3rd string QB). I'll take a 3 out of 4 for my predictions and be happy.
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 10:50:33 PM
At 11/30/2014 8:01:00 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
GT could still bump FSU out, and Missouri could knock off Alabama. But it looks like Ohio State will not pass TCU and will only be sitting at #5 (even if they win their champ game, unless they look really good, I don't see them bumping TCU with their 3rd string QB). I'll take a 3 out of 4 for my predictions and be happy.

I still think Michigan State has a legit chance. All they need is for Ohio State to lose (which honestly seems likely since JT Barrett is injured), Florida State to lose (I like Georgia Tech a lot, that running game was impressive last week, except for the turnovers in the red zone, and they should be able to keep the FSU offense off the field and control the clock), and for Kansas State to beat Baylor (If Bryce Petty isn't 100% and the defense looks as awful as it did in that 2nd half vs Texas Tech, this game could get ugly for Baylor).

My top four for now:

Alabama: Best team in the country. Cooper played his best game of the year and Sims showed how good he can be in that 2nd half

Oregon: Mariota was incredible. But Oregon State isn't exactly a world-class defense. Arizona could give him fits.

Florida State: Another unimpressive game. Winston looks worse than a year ago, possibly due to not having Kelvin Benjamin.

TCU: Played a completely dominant game vs Texas, especially defensively. They could hang around with any team when at their best.
Ashton
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 10:55:41 PM
At 8/28/2014 10:56:53 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
I have...

Oregon
Florida State
Ohio State

My worry with that is that if a team ranked 20th From the SEC East plays the Number 1 team And wins, but the number 1 team was without their star QB. That's what we are seeing already with Ohio State. Do I think Ohio State would easily beat Wisconsin if they had Miller or Barrett? Probably not, because Wisconsin's depth at running back is as good as the QBs at Ohio State. But I do think it would be a closer game, with Ohio State probably winning. As of now, I see around a 10 point win for Wisconsin, but who knows. After all, Elliot and Marshall are 2 of the biggest game-changers Ohio State has.
Ashton
Kelevra45
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 12:54:05 PM
Looks like the playoff committee went for the money. Big 10's footprint has the largest potential viewing audience. So bring in a team and sell the air time like they will watch.
Zlehn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 4:25:36 PM
At 12/7/2014 12:54:05 PM, Kelevra45 wrote:
Looks like the playoff committee went for the money. Big 10's footprint has the largest potential viewing audience. So bring in a team and sell the air time like they will watch.

This had nothing to do with a larger viewing audience. This happened because the Big 12 has no championship. Baylor beat TCU and finished at the top of their conference, so TCU shouldn't of been in the top four to begin with. The Big 12 doomed itself when Baylor lost to an inferior WVU team.
While people could argue that Ohio State should be left out because of their loss to VA Tech, the purpose of the committee is to decide the four best teams, and Ohio St. had an early loss, but they had a brand new QB and have gotten tremendously better since then.
This week OSU shutout the 13th team in the country with the #1 running back IN THE COUNTRY, Kansas St. is ranked about just as high and both TCU and Baylor beat KSU by about twenty. Several analysts predicted at the beginning of the year that the Big 12 would be left out because of not having a championship, and they were right.