Jump to topic:

NCAA Football Playoffs

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 1:58:20 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Welcome to the first year of the NCAA Football Playoffs, we enter a 4 team playoff structure and already look towards them expanding it to eight (if not 16, though that would be quite a lot, though you could do 11 with the champs of the 5 power confrences and 6 wild cards, the 6 WC face off to come down to 3, then you have a traditional 8 seed playoffs, but I digress). There is already a thread for predicting the final 4 here, http://www.debate.org..., that is not what this thread is about.

This is about discussing what kind of format an 8 team could go, if/when it goes that way. And discussing the various situations that may come up in such cases.

Currently, the season squeezes in 12 games and a championship game (for all but the Big 12) into 15 weeks. You then have a 2 week break before going into 2 weeks for all the bowl games. This makes a total of a 19 week season before everything is said and done. First, I'd suggest extending it to a 20 week season, by having it start sooner (this cuts further into the NFL preseason, rather than into the NFL playoffs) to give the NCAAF post season a total of 5 weeks to work with rather than 4.

For an 8 team post season that would be three rounds, so for those five weeks, they could be this. W1 = bye week, W2 = Round 1, W3 = Round 2, W4 = bye week, W5 = Title Game.

The rest of the bowl games can occur in W2 - W4.

The question becomes, who gets into the top 8? Should it just be the top 8 teams, flat out? Or the champions of each of the power 5 conferences, with 3 wild card spots? Since each conference is its own entity and looking to maximize its own revenue, they are of course, going to want their champions guaranteed to get in, however, they are also going to want to get as many spots as possible. Because of this, the Pac-12 and SEC will probably support a top 8, while the ACC and the Big Ten, will want their champs guaranteed in. The Big 12 would be a big swing vote.

In the past 15 years, the Pac 12 (and Pac 10, back in the day) and the SEC have each only had a single champion not rank in the top 8 (Stanford in 1999 won the Pac 10, unranked, and LSU in 2001 won ranked #13). However, the ACC's champion more often than not fails to break the top 8 (9 out of the last 15 years they've failed to be top 8, and this last year was the first time since 2007 that they broke the top 8). The Big Ten has failed in 5 of the last 15 years (the Big 12 missed only twice), including the bizarre 2012 when because of two teams not being eligible to play in the championship game, Wisconsin won that title completely unranked with a 7-5 record.

So the question boils down to, does the #7 or #8 that does not qualify because a lower ranked champion gets a spot deserve it more than that lower ranked champion. Let us turn to a few years, namely 2011, 2010, and 2009 (largely because I was really rooting for Boise State in those years).

2011, the first 6 spots clearly go to #1 LSU (SEC Champs), #2 Alabama, #3, Oklahoma State (Big 12 Champs), #4 Stanford, #5 Oregon (Pac 12 Champs), and #6 Arkansas. We have left, #7 Boise State and #8 Kansas State as high ranked wild cards, vs #10 Wisconsin (Big Ten Champ) and #15 Clemson (ACC Champ).

In 2010, the top 7 are all clear (with 4 champs and 3 WCs). We are left with that last spot. Should it go to #8 Arkansas as a 4th wild card or #13 Virginia Tech (ACC Champ)?

In 2009, the top 7 are pretty clear again, with the last spot being either #6 Boise State as a 4th WC or #9 Georgia Tech (the ACC again, go figure).

Over the last 15 years, there have been 18 teams that won their power 5 conference, but not finished in the top 8 (this gets a little hazy back in the late 90's and early 2000's, since you had the Big East as a major conference, we didn't have just the power 5 as the main powers), so it is pretty much on average, 1 team per year. In fact, only twice in the last 15 years have all 5 champions been in the top 8 (2013 and 2007).

One idea that I had, was to let the teams in question, fight over it in the W1 (of the playoff weeks). Winner goes on to the playoffs, loser is still eligible for other bowl games.

So basically, if you win your conference AND are in the top 8, you are in. If you get one of the top 3 wild card spots (wild card meaning you are not a conference champ), you are in. Any additional wild cards in the top 8 would face off against any champs that failed to reach to top 8 (the low ranked champions would get the home field). Please note that there has not been more than 2 in a single season as far back as I can track, 16 years.

The only down side to this I see is that this takes away their bye week. The low ranking champion would be coming off their championship game, do this wild card game the next week, then, if they won, go right into the playoffs (two weeks before getting a bye week before the title game). This puts an incredible amount of stress on the team.

Anyway, those are the three methods that I can see. The Champs +3 WC, the top 8, and the hybrid model that I explained. Any comments or ideas would be great to hear.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 2:04:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
One thing I should say, is that even if a championship team is poorly ranked, they usually do well when required to prove themselves. Look no further than the 2012 Badgers. They finished 7-5 and 3rd in the Big Ten Leaders division, but because #3 Ohio State (12-0) and Penn State (8-4) were on NCAA Sanctions, they were not allowed to play in the championship game. So the Badgers went and faced #14 Nebraska (10-2) on a neutral field and completely decimated them 70-31 (they had lost at Nebraska earlier in the season 27-30). The still unranked Badgers went against #8 Stanford in the Rose Bowl and only lost 20-14, by a single TD.

So those little guys still put up a fight and earn their spots.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"