NBA Thread

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 11:30:25 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Does anyone here follow NBA basketball?

If so, what are your favorite players and teams? I like the Knicks and the Nets. Obviously they both haven't done SQUAT in years, but I've got a good feeling about the next few seasons (for the Nets anyway). Aside from them -- whom I'll always be loyal to, obviously -- other teams I like just for the sake of watching are obviously the best teams in the NBA: The Lakers, The Cavs, The Magic and The Spurs. I don't like The Celtics but I do think they've got some great players I wouldn't mind having lol. The Heat is good too; I looove Dwane Wade! I'm willing to bet that he moves over to the Nets at some point. I also think Richard Jefferson from the Spurs is really underrated. Kobe and LeBron are obviously the best players in the league (with The Lakers being the best in the NBA) but I don't care. I've also been watching The Bulls since I live in Chicago now and they're always on the TV at sports bars and stuff, but I can't say I'm a big fan (yet?). What say ye?
President of DDO
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 11:41:37 AM
Favorite players: Pistol Pete Maravich (66% 3-Point average), Kobe Bryant, and Magic Johnson.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 11:51:49 AM
At 3/31/2010 11:41:37 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Favorite players: Pistol Pete Maravich (66% 3-Point average), Kobe Bryant, and Magic Johnson.

I meant current players :P
President of DDO
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 11:59:27 AM
At 3/31/2010 11:51:49 AM, theLwerd wrote:

Kobe Bryant, because he is a god on the court.

Steve Nash; he's like the modern Pete Maravich.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 12:01:17 PM
At 3/31/2010 11:59:27 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/31/2010 11:51:49 AM, theLwerd wrote:

Kobe Bryant, because he is a god on the court.

He's pretty amazing. LeBron's getting close...

Steve Nash; he's like the modern Pete Maravich.

I do love Steve Nash! <3

He can't score like PM though...
President of DDO
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 12:06:56 PM
Favorite team: Sacramento Kings. What can I say? I'm loyal. They sucks now, though. I remember back in the day when they were good....:(

Favorite players: Chris Paul (same first name as me and is a great PG), King James, D-Wade, T-Mac, Dwight Howard, Dirk Nowitzki (sp?), Kevin Garnett, and Tony Parker. I'm forgetting tons of players.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 12:22:18 PM
My favorite teams are the Warriors and Nets. Warriors because i live in the area and Nets because that was the first NBA game I ever saw. My favorite player is Jason Kidd Mr Triple Double I miss those days with him and Vince Carter
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 8:56:53 PM
At 3/31/2010 12:22:18 PM, Loserboi wrote:
My favorite teams are the Warriors and Nets. Warriors because i live in the area and Nets because that was the first NBA game I ever saw. My favorite player is Jason Kidd Mr Triple Double I miss those days with him and Vince Carter

The Nets were my first NBA game too, but I liked the Knicks first. I'm a New Yorker and excited about the Nets moving to Brooklyn - my hometown! I can't consider Kidd to be anywhere near my top favorite players though lol. PCP names some of the league's best, though I think T-Mac hasn't been good for quite some time and I think it's wrong to forget people like Paul Piece, Carmelo Anthony and the n00b Kevin Durant.
President of DDO
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2010 1:36:43 PM
If the Saints can win the Super Bowl, and Butler can make it to the Final Four, then this is the year Cleveland can win a professional sports championship. Go Cavs!

I also like the Rockets and Lakers, but I would vehemently root against L.A. if they were in the Finals vs. Cleveland.

I recently watched some games (from the DVD set) of the 1993-94 NBA Finals between the Knicks and Rockets (which I avidly watched Live, back in the day), and that really was a different and--in my opinion--more enjoyable era of basketball.

Several observations:

(1) I had to actually search to find a visible tattoo on any player! I'm not suggesting this lowers the performance level of any player, or that people will tattoos are automatically punks; however, perhaps there existed more connection with common fans who don't color lots of their skin with tattoos, most of which one can't see too well, anyway.

(2) The fans cheered the entire game, each game. The arenas were LOUD, which made/makes for a more enjoyable experience. I know there was a wave of new arenas built in the past 15 years that accommodate more space, which damages accoustics, but the fans just seemed more involved back then. Again, perhaps they felt more closely connected with the superstars of yesterday than with today's.

(3) It just had a "blue collar" feeling to it. Players busted their butts on every play and didn't complain too much after fouls. I doubt that players today don't play as hard, but perhaps there are more primadonnas in today's league than years past, and too much soccer-like whining after every penalty.

(4) Marv Alberts! YYESSS! He should call every NBA Finals until he can speak no longer.
lastrequest691
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2010 4:15:31 AM
My favourite team is Oklahoma City Thunder and my favourite player is Deron Williams. I like the Boston Celtics.
My dream final would be Oklahoma City Thunder v. Indiana Pacers ( The Mid West Local Derby )

That's it. But I only watch the Play Offs because they don't show matches played in Regular Season here in India.
"That song was absolutely waste of talent; you sounded like a wounded animal and who told you to play the guitar by yourself." Simon Cowell
BellumQuodPacis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2010 4:24:19 AM
I know this is totally obvious but living in Miami, I am a HUGE Heat and Panther fan. Dwayne Wade was good, but only with Shaq around. And now that we got a playoff chance, he'll being up his a-game.