Jump to topic:

Athletes and Society

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 2:37:14 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Do athletes deserve the enormous pay checks they often reel in? Do they deserve the acclaim they receive from society? Are they the role models are kids should have in their lives? Does society put too much emphasis on sports and athleticism?

Sorry...just some random thoughts my tired brain decided to come up with. Feel free to answer/discuss.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 3:46:27 AM
At 9/27/2014 2:37:14 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Do athletes deserve the enormous pay checks they often reel in?

They 'deserve' it in the sense that they do rightfully earn that money by working for it. However, whether or not the amount of money they earn is proportional to the amount they have to work is a totally different issue (hint: it's not).

Do they deserve the acclaim they receive from society?

No. Their only contribution to society is entertainment, and while that may be important, the contributions that doctors, engineers, or even construction workers make to society are much greater; they deserve far greater acclaim than athletes do.

Are they the role models are kids should have in their lives?

Absolutely not. Modern professional sports has turned into a hotbed of scandal, be it about drugs, romantic affairs, or racism.

Does society put too much emphasis on sports and athleticism?

Hell yeah. The resources that are funneled into the sporting industry are much, much better spent elsewhere.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 7:59:27 AM
They deserve to be paid, but not the amount that they are, in my opinion anyways.
When Keshorn Walcott won God in the Olympics for Javelin last year, the government- or more specifically, the Prime Minister- awarded him a million dollars, a new house, an opportunity for tertiary education and much much more.
Keep in mind, he was sent up for the Olympics and didn't know PM Kamla Persad-Bissessar's name, nor the national anthem of T&T. However, 'he couldn't remember because he was emotional,' some people said.

Hmm... I suppose representing their groups, and 'home' are important, but there are people who contribute more to society than them.

Some of them can be, others not.
What a lot of them don't realize is how much their country, school, home-town etc depends on them, looks up to them, so it's important for them to be good people.
Depika Kumari is an example of a great athlete.

In some ways, yes. In some ways, no.
To make a name for their society, they'd focus on the sports, like sending up an athlete for the Olympics who doesn't even know the NATIONAL anthem.

In Korea, they have rigorous training for athletes, who have to balance that and academics.

In Trinidad, at least for my family and I- academics come first, THEN sports.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 11:11:44 AM
Athletes "deserve" to be paid however much they are paid so long as it is not stolen or coerced from another person - which their salary is not. Athletes' employers (their sports team owners) make money off the athlete's labor. Therefore, the athlete has value. That value is determined through supply and demand. There is a high demand (interest) in sports and athleticism in society; that is not new as the ancient Greek and other cultures participated in sports contests like the Olympics. Athleticism represents physical strength and other prowess relevant to skills/dominance/traits successful regarding evolutionary superiority. Since people enjoy sports and watching sporting competitions, they are willing to spend a certain amount of money on sports games and things affiliated with them such as merchandise. As such, athletes are paid as much as people are willing to spend on them - so they definitely DESERVE their pay. Why wouldn't they?

Oh - and to the people who say people with helmets in battlefields (soldiers) should be making more money then athletes, that is also false. There are two sectors of any modern economy: the productive sector and the parasitic sector. The productive sector is that sector of the economy wherein goods and services are traded on a voluntary, mutually beneficial basis (such as the jobs athletes take) and the parasitic sector, which is the sector that harvests wealth from the productive sector through coercion (taxes) and redistributes that wealth to people and agencies who would not receive that money otherwise (government jobs) without individual contracts of their own. If society truly thought soldiers ought to be paid more, they would voluntarily give more of their money to them without the government mandating it. Since we don't, clearly we do not value their labor more than we value the labor of an athlete who we would pay to go see work.
President of DDO
fazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 1:27:58 AM

Isn't it though. Athletees are like modern-day Gladiators. They are human-engineering of their oen bodies taken to the pinnacle.

Athletes are real-life super-heroes to kids. Athletes should be paid just like artist. Society values and compensates art with a $million price tag. Why, because we value individualism and beauty .. over complacency and mediocrity. They are good role models just like Superman is a good role model.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 2:15:38 PM
Yes, as they bring in much more to their employer.

Probably not.
No, since their character is not what makes them great, except for their discipline, which is admirable.

Probably, but the same can be said about all forms of entertainment in first world countries.
Should a violist make some $150K in an orchestra?

Sorry...just some random thoughts my tired brain decided to come up with. Feel free to answer/discuss.
My work here is, finally, done.