NHL Thread

USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2010 6:28:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I loves me some hocky.

In fact, I have the Frozen Four on (in the background) now. Go Miami (OH)!

I watched Colorado (NHL) clinch the 8th seed the other night, which made me happy.

Go Avs and Pens!

I'll post playoff predictions once the pairings are finalized....
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2010 8:11:02 PM
Senators all the f*ckin way baby!!

If we can get enough people I think we should make picks on who's going to win each playoff series. Losers get their display pics picked for them, kind of like what people have been doing for the NFL and MLB threads.
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2010 8:22:22 PM
I love watching hockey, but living in NC the only team thats ever on is the Hurricanes and I'm just not interested in them. I don't follow the league very closely, but I've got a rough idea of who's good and who's not.

If I could watch every Red Wings and Devils game I would be a very happy man.
When Reach fell, I came.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2010 8:23:49 PM
At 4/9/2010 8:22:22 PM, theitalianstallion wrote:
I love watching hockey, but living in NC the only team thats ever on is the Hurricanes and I'm just not interested in them. I don't follow the league very closely, but I've got a rough idea of who's good and who's not.

I just can not do it.
I do not know why.

I just do not like it. I have tried. It is like golf, I just can not do it.

I can do NFL, some basketball, UFC. Things like that.
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2010 8:48:01 PM
At 4/9/2010 8:23:49 PM, comoncents wrote:

I just can not do it.
I do not know why.

That's something I'll never understand. I can't sit through an entire football game unless I'm drunk.. which is why I only usually do it once playoffs roll around. How can you keep excited when there's a stoppage in play literally almost every 5 seconds??

Granted, when I watch hockey I'm usually drunk anyway :P
I guess it's one of those sports that's a lot easier to love when you grow up with it.. like soccer (my other favourite sport).
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2010 4:46:13 PM
At 4/9/2010 8:48:01 PM, MikeLoviN wrote:
At 4/9/2010 8:23:49 PM, comoncents wrote:

I just can not do it.
I do not know why.

That's something I'll never understand. I can't sit through an entire football game unless I'm drunk.. which is why I only usually do it once playoffs roll around. How can you keep excited when there's a stoppage in play literally almost every 5 seconds??
Because the stuff that happens between the stops is so much more complex, and so much more interesting.

Though I wouldn't quite compare hockey or soccer to golf. Both hockey and soccer are at least somewhat watchable. Golf-- hit ball. Walk to it. Hit it again. See it once you've seen it all, it's like watching a quarterback throw balls at a tire instead of in a game. There's no defense to complicate matters whatsoever, which is not the case in hockey or soccer, though due to the constancy of the action there is also no time to set up much variation. I'm sure there is strategy in soccer or hockey , and it's much more complex than golf-- much less than football however.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2010 2:12:14 PM
Hockey is really the only sport I care to really pay any attention to(typical canadian I guess, haha). I support the Vancouver Canucks, considering they're the home team.
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2010 7:38:15 PM
All right its on. The conference quaterfinals are as follows

Eastern Conference:
[1]Washington vs. [8]Montreal
[2]New Jersey vs. [7]Philadelphia
[3]Buffalo vs. [6]Boston
[4]Pittsburgh vs. [5]Ottawa

Western Conference:
[1]San Jose vs. [8]Colorado
[2]Chicago vs. [7]Nashville
[3]Vancouver vs. [6]L.A
[4]Phoenix vs. [5]Detroit

Looking at the match-ups I got a feeling that they're generally going to go the way of the rankings with maybe a few exceptions. Anyone want to make picks?
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 4:52:08 PM
At 4/13/2010 12:29:05 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I feel good knowing the Calgary Flames aren't on that list. Don't ask. It's a rivalry thing, lol.

Oh I'm well aware. I have a buddy from Calgary who hates the Canucks. It's the only team that he hates more than the Leafs. He would always rant on about how they called themselves 'Canada's team' when half of the players were from Sweden.

The only reason that I'm glad they did well this year was because I had Henrik Sedin in my hockey pool and he kicked some serious asss :D
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2010 6:56:48 PM
RED WINGS ALL THE WAY.

Red wing fan for life here, have followed hockey ever since i've have been able to.
19 straight play-off appearances :D

My predictions would be:
Red Wings vs either Buffalo or Penn, most likely buffalo, definitely not the capitals they choke it up in the playoffs
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2010 7:13:11 PM
At 4/13/2010 4:52:08 PM, MikeLoviN wrote:
At 4/13/2010 12:29:05 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I feel good knowing the Calgary Flames aren't on that list. Don't ask. It's a rivalry thing, lol.

Oh I'm well aware. I have a buddy from Calgary who hates the Canucks. It's the only team that he hates more than the Leafs. He would always rant on about how they called themselves 'Canada's team' when half of the players were from Sweden.

That's very true. All my Canuck fan friends hate the Flames.
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2010 7:36:58 PM
At 4/14/2010 6:56:48 PM, xxdarkxx wrote:
RED WINGS ALL THE WAY.

Red wing fan for life here, have followed hockey ever since i've have been able to.

My predictions would be:
Red Wings vs either Buffalo or Penn, most likely buffalo, definitely not the capitals they choke it up in the playoffs

I'm going to call/hope it's Chicago vs Ottawa in the final... with Ottawa taking it in 6 games XD

Don't you dare try to burst my bubble
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2010 7:51:50 PM
At 4/14/2010 7:36:58 PM, MikeLoviN wrote:
RED WINGS ALL THE WAY.

My predictions would be:

I'm going to call/hope it's Chicago vs Ottawa in the final... with Ottawa taking it in 6 games XD

That would actually be awesome if Ottawa made it to the finals. I have a friend who is an Ottawa fan. They could lose and then I could bug her for days.
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2010 8:01:30 PM
RED WINGS ALL THE WAY.

My predictions would be:

lol yeah ottawa could pull it out against penn especially since they took game one
but if chicago plays detroit then chicago doesnt stand a chance
reason being; Hossa is cursed, he cant win in the playoffs if detroit is involved
lost to detroit while with penn in finals
lost with detroit in finals to penn
and there stuck with Hossa for what 10 years? lol
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2010 8:03:18 PM
At 4/14/2010 8:01:30 PM, xxdarkxx wrote:
RED WINGS ALL THE WAY.

My predictions would be:

lol yeah ottawa could pull it out against penn especially since they took game one
reason being; Hossa is cursed, he cant win in the playoffs if detroit is involved

wow that would happen sorry bout that im using a ps3 so
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2010 8:14:59 PM
At 4/14/2010 8:04:37 PM, xxdarkxx wrote:
wow really? god da** ps3 browser

Haha, I think it's funny that most of your activity on this site is done with your PS3 and a CONTROLLER.

In all reality though Red Wings for the win, though I'm not an avid hockey fan I support my home team. Hockey is also one of the best sports to watch IMO.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2010 8:24:38 PM
At 4/14/2010 8:03:18 PM, xxdarkxx wrote:

Naah I don't know.. The only reason the Red Wings have been doing well lately is because Howard has been on fire. If it came down to Chicago and Detroit in the west then I'd probably put my money on the Blackhawks. Even though the Red Wings have the experience, the young guys on Chicago like Toews, Kane, Keith, and Sharp have been tearing it up all season. They have 6 players with 20 goals or more versus 3 for Detroit. If anything, it'd be a really close call.
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 4:46:39 AM
At 4/14/2010 8:24:38 PM, MikeLoviN wrote:
At 4/14/2010 8:03:18 PM, xxdarkxx wrote:

Naah I don't know.. The only reason the Red Wings have been doing well lately is because Howard has been on fire. If it came down to Chicago and Detroit in the west then I'd probably put my money on the Blackhawks. Even though the Red Wings have the experience, the young guys on Chicago like Toews, Kane, Keith, and Sharp have been tearing it up all season. They have 6 players with 20 goals or more versus 3 for Detroit. If anything, it'd be a really close call.

yeah and what do you know, Howard is one of the reason's they lost last night, *sigh*...

but the big surprise of last night

COLORADO the 8 seed beat San Jose on San Jose's home ice.... upset anyone?
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2010 3:33:09 AM
I'll take Colorado. Go Avs! They lost Game 2, but still took it to OT and scored four goals on SJ's ice. Time to win two at Pepsi.

The Penguins have not looked sharp, though, despite tying the series at 1.

Ghettroit bounced back strong in game 2, as expected. I still say they're the favorites in the West.

I'd love to see Washington get bounced in round 1, but it won't happen.

So here's how I see the playoffs shaping out:

West:
Avalanche
Blackhawks
Canucks
Redwings

East:
Capitals
Devils
Sabres
Penguins

WCF: