Total Posts:2|Showing Posts:1-2
Jump to topic:

Should Barry Bonds be in the Hall of Fame?

Gordontrek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2014 11:07:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'd like to see some discussion about this.
I know he used performance-enhancing drugs. Still, hitting over 755 home runs is an incredible feat and a very difficult one at that.
So give me your thoughts. Does this man belong in the Hall of Fame, or should his records be considered totally illegitimate due to his use of drugs? There's no doubt he had a substantial amount of natural talent, but we'll never know if it was sufficient to hit the most home runs in history without steroid use.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2014 2:27:26 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I think so.

He was clearly the best during the "juiced era" and that has to mean something.

I suppose he cheated, but the league encouraged cheating as the standard for that particular era - so it's not like it wasn't a level playing field of cheaters.

I remember being mostly uninterested in baseball following the players strike, but then it followed with the juiced era and it was difficult not to pay attention to the excitement of three players (Sammy Sosa, Ken Griffey Junior and Mark McGuire) competing for the single season homerun record.

It wasn't even really subtle, right from the get-go it was clear the record was going to be broken and the only question was who was going to break it. McGuire took the lead and didn't relinquish it and the MLB really pushed him as a brand and a persona - and considering his personality he was a very good player to market.

Then it turned out he was using a perfectly legal (legal both in terms of US law and baseball rules) supplement and the media turned pretty quickly as though we were all shocked such a thing was happening. I was only about 15 at the time, and I remember thinking it was one of the stupidest things in sports I've ever seen.

To me, it was obvious that these players were taking every advantage they could, and owners, coaches, and especially league officials were happy to look the other way. This was exciting, there was tons of offense, huge stats, and interest in baseball was as high as it's ever been in recent history.

Quite honestly, I loved the juiced era.

Then Bonds, a guy who is kind of a jerk anyway and not liked by the media, blew everyone out of the water with his stats. The guy hit 70+ HRs in a season, obliterating the former record. This is pretty much where the backlash began when all of the tell-all books and revelations about steroids began to surface.

In my mind though, I don't care if Barry Bonds wasn't likeable, he was easily the best in an era where everyone was cheating and he did better than anyone else. I'm not even sure I can call it cheating since the league pretty much encouraged it.

So should Barry Bonds be in the Hall of Fame? Absolutely. But the entire era should have an asterisk next to it in the record books for being completely ridiculous.
Debate.org Moderator