Jump to topic:

We won... Let's riot!

MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2010 10:33:07 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm going to start off by saying that no, I'm not a fan of the Montreal Canadiens but I was glad to see them beat those douche bags from Pittsburgh.

Nevertheless, a pattern has emerged in this city over the last 20 years where a playoff series win tends to translate into street-side riots complete with looting and vandalism. Two years ago, when they beat Boston in the first round of the playoffs, fans took to the streets and burned cars, including some 10 police cruisers, and smashed and looted practically everything in sight. The more hard-fought and emotional the win, the more likely it is that such a riot will ensue. It's gotten to the point where some local business owners dread the thought of the team even making it to the playoffs because of the likelihood of this behaviour occurring.

I'm posting this because I've never heard of this kind of behaviour occuring to such extent and with such predictability, excluding maybe soccer riots in shall we say "less developed" parts of the world. Does anyone here know of any other examples of this happening anywhere else, with regard to any professional sporting event? Personally I find it both funny and fascinating at the same time, which is why I ask.

http://www.cbc.ca...
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2010 10:57:54 AM
At 5/15/2010 11:57:02 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Since the Canucks are out I'm kind of supporting Montreal, and then Detroit(if they're still in).

...really?... detroit *sniffle* lost... to san jose *sniffle* *burst into tears*

no more hockey for me this year... can't wait till fall wings going to make playoffs for the 20th straight year, next year.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 8:15:09 PM
At 5/16/2010 10:57:54 AM, xxdarkxx wrote:
At 5/15/2010 11:57:02 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Since the Canucks are out I'm kind of supporting Montreal, and then Detroit(if they're still in).

...really?... detroit *sniffle* lost... to san jose *sniffle* *burst into tears*

no more hockey for me this year... can't wait till fall wings going to make playoffs for the 20th straight year, next year.

Nooooooooooooooo! All the cool teams always lose. :( Oh well. At least it's not the Flames winning. Grrr...
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 8:33:42 PM
what are you talking about? the sharks are a cool team!

/innane local team pride
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 8:43:19 PM
At 5/18/2010 8:33:42 PM, belle wrote:

/innane local team pride

Haha, I personally don't like them. Really the only American team I do like is Detroit. I suppose Pittsburg is ok too but only because they have Crosby. ^^
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2010 8:53:27 PM
At 5/18/2010 8:43:19 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

/innane local team pride

Haha, I personally don't like them. Really the only American team I do like is Detroit. I suppose Pittsburg is ok too but only because they have Crosby. ^^

I... wait... what? Detroit and Pittsburgh ??? >.<

I hate you just a little bit right now
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2010 5:01:10 AM
At 5/18/2010 8:43:19 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

/innane local team pride

how dare you be a crosby fan...

he cost the red wings the Stanley cup
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2010 5:03:15 AM

/innane local team pride

No they really are not a cool team, this isn't even coming from my deep love for the red wings, but the fact that hmmm the redwings had how many more penalties called against them then the sharks?

The sharks are a diving team, any chance they get to draw a penalty they dive, oh and Joe Thornton needs to retire.