Jump to topic:

The Beginning

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2014 11:14:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Let me first start by saying that I support college players getting compensation for what they do, but I am against paying them (or at least, against forced payments), but that they should be allowed to profit off of their autograph and their likeness and sponsorship and whatnots.

However, I do believe that forcing schools to pay their players is better than the status quo (just not ideal). That being said, it is fully understandable, reasonable, and even expected that when a near slave labor is cut off, many entities that relied on that labor will go under.

http://espn.go.com...

UAB went 6-6 this year and is bowl eligible (though they likely will not go, being from the group of 5, rather than a power 5), yet they decided that they are cutting their football program as the expected costs coming up will be too great to justify.

Thoughts on the matter?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 8:50:15 AM
At 12/2/2014 11:14:50 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Let me first start by saying that I support college players getting compensation for what they do, but I am against paying them (or at least, against forced payments), but that they should be allowed to profit off of their autograph and their likeness and sponsorship and whatnots.

However, I do believe that forcing schools to pay their players is better than the status quo (just not ideal). That being said, it is fully understandable, reasonable, and even expected that when a near slave labor is cut off, many entities that relied on that labor will go under.

UAB went 6-6 this year and is bowl eligible (though they likely will not go, being from the group of 5, rather than a power 5), yet they decided that they are cutting their football program as the expected costs coming up will be too great to justify.

Thoughts on the matter?

Im not so sure it's slave labor.

Tuition reimbursement, free education, other benefits, free internship for the NFL...

It's alot more compensation than a wimpy atrophied geek can expect. It's voluntary, hardly equating to slavery.

Slave labor can't be voluntary. They can always sign up for welfare if they don't like the deal.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 1:55:57 PM
At 12/3/2014 8:50:15 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

Thoughts on the matter?

Tuition reimbursement, free education, other benefits, free internship for the NFL...

It's alot more compensation than a wimpy atrophied geek can expect. It's voluntary, hardly equating to slavery.

Slave labor can't be voluntary. They can always sign up for welfare if they don't like the deal.

I didn't say it was slave labor, it is near. A college education is great, having tuition is great, but nither of those puts food on your table. Those are not payments, they are investments for the players' future. But they are restricted from being paid of any kind for their work. If the coach buys his teams a bunch of burgers, that is a violation. That is a restriction on any kind of liquidable payment. That is what makes it "near slavery".
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 1:57:22 PM
At 12/3/2014 1:55:57 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 12/3/2014 8:50:15 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

Thoughts on the matter?

I didn't say it was slave labor, it is near. A college education is great, having tuition is great, but nither of those puts food on your table. Those are not payments, they are investments for the players' future. But they are restricted from being paid of any kind for their work. If the coach buys his teams a bunch of burgers, that is a violation. That is a restriction on any kind of liquidable payment. That is what makes it "near slavery".

All voluntary internships are near slavery, but they remain voluntary.