Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

Any martial artists/martial arts fans here?

Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2014 2:53:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I just feel like talking about martial arts. It could be anything. What have you trained in, are there any styles you wish you could study but can't in your location? Or we could just talk about upcoming fights or kung fu movies. I don't know. I can't be the only person here interested in martial arts can I?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 10:47:20 PM
At 12/4/2014 2:53:21 PM, Cryo wrote:
I just feel like talking about martial arts. It could be anything. What have you trained in, are there any styles you wish you could study but can't in your location? Or we could just talk about upcoming fights or kung fu movies. I don't know. I can't be the only person here interested in martial arts can I?

There are some people here who are into martial arts but I forgot who they are. Look back in the Sports forum for past threads. I feel like there were a few on Krav Maga and MMA. On that note, which martial arts are you into? I took Karate in 1st and 2nd grade (I loved the Power Rangers) and Three Ninjas was one of my favorite movies when I was a kid... that's about all I got.
President of DDO
DarthVitiosus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 5:38:42 PM

Kung fu, nothing else need to be said. I can't say I like UFC because of the rules which have always been geared towards entertainment rather than a real fight.
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
Juris_Naturalis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 4:16:25 PM
I currently take Muay Thai and Kali. I LOOOOOOOOVE Kali. I would like to be proficient in Judo, real Pencak Silat and JJJ/Bjj just for the heck of it.
Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 2:35:49 PM
At 12/6/2014 10:47:20 PM, Danielle wrote:

There are some people here who are into martial arts but I forgot who they are. Look back in the Sports forum for past threads. I feel like there were a few on Krav Maga and MMA. On that note, which martial arts are you into? I took Karate in 1st and 2nd grade (I loved the Power Rangers) and Three Ninjas was one of my favorite movies when I was a kid... that's about all I got.

Yeah I figured there would be previous threads on the subject so I looked back a couple pages but I don't recall seeing anything. But I know how you feel about the Power Rangers and the Three Ninjas movies. Those plus the Ninja Turtles and Jackie Chan movies were my childhood!

I haven't trained in anything for a while. I started with Tae Kwon Do when I was a kid and did that for a few years, then I did some Krav Maga and then Muay Thai and BJJ. I studied a little bit of Wing Chun also. I'm open to learning about anything. I've just always been fascinated by the martial arts.
Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 2:39:15 PM
At 12/11/2014 5:38:42 PM, DarthVitiosus wrote:

Kung fu, nothing else need to be said. I can't say I like UFC because of the rules which have always been geared towards entertainment rather than a real fight.

Yeah, that's the one thing about MMA that I've always lamented. I mean, if you're going to have regular competition you have to have some rules in place, I get that, but it does limit the reality of the fight, especially in the UFC. At least Pride allowed stomps and soccer kicks and knees to the head of a downed opponent.
Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 2:40:04 PM
At 12/14/2014 4:16:25 PM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:
I currently take Muay Thai and Kali. I LOOOOOOOOVE Kali. I would like to be proficient in Judo, real Pencak Silat and JJJ/Bjj just for the heck of it.

I would love to study Kali and Pencak Silat. Problem is there aren't any schools near where I live... :(
DarthVitiosus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 5:56:38 PM
At 12/17/2014 2:39:15 PM, Cryo wrote:

Yeah, that's the one thing about MMA that I've always lamented. I mean, if you're going to have regular competition you have to have some rules in place, I get that, but it does limit the reality of the fight, especially in the UFC. At least Pride allowed stomps and soccer kicks and knees to the head of a downed opponent.

I should of explained what I was getting at. Some martial arts styles simply would not engage the opponent quickly. as they do in the UFC and as they did in Pride. The objective may be just to wear there opponent down by a body part over time. UFC rules encourage fighters to make contact, that is unrealistic plus the rounds adds to this dilemma. If I know Tae Kwon Do or a kicking fighting style, I can just keep kicking your legs for an hour before one of your legs eventually blow out. UFC gives advantage to certain martial arts styles due to the constant engagement rules.

Think of it as comparing Catch/freestyle wrestling that starts standing up in an Irish collar and elbow compared to Greco Roman which starts with both opponents on the ground. Simply put, one is extremely difficult to get a pin compared to the other.
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 6:59:13 PM
At 12/17/2014 5:56:38 PM, DarthVitiosus wrote:
At 12/17/2014 2:39:15 PM, Cryo wrote:

I should of explained what I was getting at. Some martial arts styles simply would not engage the opponent quickly. as they do in the UFC and as they did in Pride. The objective may be just to wear there opponent down by a body part over time. UFC rules encourage fighters to make contact, that is unrealistic plus the rounds adds to this dilemma. If I know Tae Kwon Do or a kicking fighting style, I can just keep kicking your legs for an hour before one of your legs eventually blow out. UFC gives advantage to certain martial arts styles due to the constant engagement rules.

Think of it as comparing Catch/freestyle wrestling that starts standing up in an Irish collar and elbow compared to Greco Roman which starts with both opponents on the ground. Simply put, one is extremely difficult to get a pin compared to the other.

Ah, I see what you're saying. I agree, with the nature of the fight, plus the time limits and things like that, you are limiting the fighter's options. If there were no rounds and no time limit, the MMA world would be very different for sure.

But just to comment on your example I will add that if you need an hour (I'm sure you were just speaking figuratively) of leg kicks for them to be effective, then there's something wrong with your kicks. Guys have been stopped with leg kicks before within minutes. But yes, the need to avoid hour long fights does place constraints on the fighters.
DarthVitiosus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 7:09:28 PM
At 12/21/2014 6:59:13 PM, Cryo wrote:
But just to comment on your example I will add that if you need an hour (I'm sure you were just speaking figuratively) of leg kicks for them to be effective, then there's something wrong with your kicks. Guys have been stopped with leg kicks before within minutes. But yes, the need to avoid hour long fights does place constraints on the fighters.
If you know Tae Kwon Do or another kicking style, I will simply disengage you every time you attempt to kick. You are thinking like it is a fight sanctioned by the athletic commission where constant fighting is demanded by refs. I will simply let you attempt to chase me as I back up every time when you kick. Eventually, you will wear yourself out chasing me. Or your kicks will take a toll on me. It will be a game of attrition.

In a no rules fight between martial artists, more clever martial artists will simply disengage their opponent until they suffer from enough attrition to be beaten easily. This is why historically, there are fights between masters of Chinese Kung Fu schools that allegedly took over a day to be decided.
Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 7:23:09 PM
At 12/21/2014 7:09:28 PM, DarthVitiosus wrote:
At 12/21/2014 6:59:13 PM, Cryo wrote:
If you know Tae Kwon Do or another kicking style, I will simply disengage you every time you attempt to kick. You are thinking like it is a fight sanctioned by the athletic commission where constant fighting is demanded by refs. I will simply let you attempt to chase me as I back up every time when you kick. Eventually, you will wear yourself out chasing me. Or your kicks will take a toll on me. It will be a game of attrition.

In a no rules fight between martial artists, more clever martial artists will simply disengage their opponent until they suffer from enough attrition to be beaten easily. This is why historically, there are fights between masters of Chinese Kung Fu schools that allegedly took over a day to be decided.

What exactly do you mean by "disengage"? You just step back? Run away? What happens if they're faster than you? How exactly are you going to disengage then?

And what attrition are you referring do? Are you countering them or are you simply relying on them to become exhausted chasing after you? Can you give me an example?
DarthVitiosus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 7:35:18 PM
At 12/21/2014 7:23:09 PM, Cryo wrote:

What exactly do you mean by "disengage"? You just step back? Run away? What happens if they're faster than you? How exactly are you going to disengage then?

And what attrition are you referring do? Are you countering them or are you simply relying on them to become exhausted chasing after you? Can you give me an example?

By "disengage," I am referring to stopping the exchange of blows or physical contact. I don't mean running away but merely backing up or backing away while facing your opponent. To run away would mean to turn your back on your opponent. I am certainly not suggesting that. If you are faster than me, you will simply be running into my hands or feet as I throw them while I am in retreat. It depends on the styles used as well as your arm and leg reach compared to my reach as well.

In a no rules fight this wouldn't be a problem. In a sanctioned fight(boxing, UFC, Pride), fighters will be penalized for not making contact within a certain period of time.

By attrition, I mean you will eventually exhaust yourself out. If you trained a to run three miles and you plan to run a marathon, you will be exhausted to say the least at the end of that marathon. Sort of like how some boxers know they will not have the stamina to go all twelve rounds in a championship bout so they try to TKO their opponent long before then if possible. Their performance deteriorates as time passes and they know so they must finish the fight faster rather than leaving it to the judges. While other boxers will benefit from having all twelve rounds because they have the stamina. Those fighters will be able to maintain their performance throughout all twelve rounds.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 8:05:10 PM

I've trained in Taekwondo and have a red belt in that. I stopped right before my black-belt training due to financial issues.

Then I started Karate and have earned a 3rd degree black belt in that. I still practice my forms weekly even though I'm currently not enrolled in any specific dojo.

I'd really like to get involved in Chi Gong but there are no teachers in my area.

My favorite aspect of martial arts were the tournaments. I still proudly display all of the trophies I've earned from them throughout the years. In regards to kung fu movies, IP Man I & II are my favorites, along with a few others I can't think of at the moment. If I happen to recall more I'll share :)
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 4:27:21 PM
At 12/21/2014 8:05:10 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

I've trained in Taekwondo and have a red belt in that. I stopped right before my black-belt training due to financial issues.

Then I started Karate and have earned a 3rd degree black belt in that. I still practice my forms weekly even though I'm currently not enrolled in any specific dojo.

I'd really like to get involved in Chi Gong but there are no teachers in my area.

My favorite aspect of martial arts were the tournaments. I still proudly display all of the trophies I've earned from them throughout the years. In regards to kung fu movies, IP Man I & II are my favorites, along with a few others I can't think of at the moment. If I happen to recall more I'll share :)

I got my red belt in TKD and stopped before getting my black also. Although I quit for different reasons. What style of Karate did you study?

And Ip Man 1 & 2 were instant classics in my mind. Donnie Yen's awesome.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 5:59:17 PM
At 12/22/2014 4:27:21 PM, Cryo wrote:
At 12/21/2014 8:05:10 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

I got my red belt in TKD and stopped before getting my black also. Although I quit for different reasons. What style of Karate did you study?

I'm surprised you asked, most people don't even realize there are different styles :)

I studied Chito-Ryu, but am personally desiring to get involved with Kyokushinkai if I ever get the chance. My favorite aspect of it was the tournaments.

And Ip Man 1 & 2 were instant classics in my mind. Donnie Yen's awesome.

Yeah, they really are excellent films.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...