Total Posts:358|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

As World Cup fever mounts...

brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2010 9:15:17 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
...here are the latest odds:

Spain4/1Brazil9/2
England13/2Argentina13/2
Holland10/1Germany14/1
Italy14/1France20/1
Portugal28/1Ivory Coast 33/1
Serbia66/1Chile66/1
Mexico66/1USA80/1
Ghana80/1Uruguay80/1
Paraguay100/1Cameroon100/1
Nigeria150/1Greece150/1
Denmark150/1South Africa 150/1
Australia175/1Switzerland 200/1
South Korea 200/1Slovakia300/1
Slovenia300/1Japan350/1
Algeria500/1Honduras1000/1
North Korea 1500/1New Zealand 2000/1

Who will you be cheering for?

I will cheering for England – that's where I'm from. I will also be cheering for:

* Any team that is playing against Portugal because their dirty, cheating pansy-potter scumbag striker Cristiano Ronaldo got England kicked out of the last World Cup (see YouTube clip for evidence).

* Any team that is playing against Argentina because they invaded the Falkland Islands and still want them back.

* Any team that is playing against Spain because they cheat almost as much as Portugal do and also because they keep blocking British legislation in the EU because we own Gibraltar and they want it back.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2010 2:49:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
* Any team that is playing against Argentina because they invaded the Falkland Islands and still want them back.
* Any team that is playing against Spain because they cheat almost as much as Portugal do and also because they keep blocking British legislation in the EU because we own Gibraltar and they want it back.
There's something sad when politics gets this deeply involved in sports.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
MikeLoviN
Posts: 746
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2010 3:12:57 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/3/2010 2:51:14 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Cheer for North Korea, lol. xD

lol It's a shame that "country" still exists, let alone has a soccer team.

But for realsies, I'm just going to root for all of the underdogs (starting with Slovenia) until they all get eliminated, at which point I plan on jumping on the Spain bandwagon... All because my beloved Poland sucks so much *tear*.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2010 7:24:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/3/2010 3:12:57 PM, MikeLoviN wrote:
At 6/3/2010 2:51:14 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Cheer for North Korea, lol. xD

lol It's a shame that "country" still exists, let alone has a soccer team.

But for realsies, I'm just going to root for all of the underdogs (starting with Slovenia) until they all get eliminated, at which point I plan on jumping on the Spain bandwagon... All because my beloved Poland sucks so much *tear*.

Apparently they want to reunite with South Korea. As if that'll ever happen though. Haha. Also, I'm pretty sure they compete in the Olympics too. I'm personally not surprised they have world class athletes though. The training and discipline they receive from childhood is intense.
MikeLoviN
Posts: 746
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2010 8:18:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/3/2010 7:24:45 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Apparently they want to reunite with South Korea.

Lol... someone obviously hasn't been reading the news lately. http://www.cbc.ca...

Also, I'm pretty sure they compete in the Olympics too. I'm personally not surprised they have world class athletes though. The training and discipline they receive from childhood is intense.

More Lawls.. I'm pretty sure your thinking of every East Asian country other than North Korea. They had 2 athletes at the winter olympics this year (and won nothing) and at the last summer olympics they won a grand total of 6 medals, 5 of which were either in weightlifting or judo.

Most countries offer incentives and funding to make good athletes, North Korea probably just threatens them with death if they lose (which is why their athletes appear to be so few in numbers)

On a final note, Yaaayy for derailed threads.. I couldn't help myself this time
lastrequest691
Posts: 339
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 7:36:23 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Let's go Germany

Philip Lahm will lead the Way.
"That song was absolutely waste of talent; you sounded like a wounded animal and who told you to play the guitar by yourself." Simon Cowell
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 10:21:42 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
My predictions:

Last 16:

France vs. Nigeria

England vs. Australia

Netherlands vs. Paraguay

Brazil vs. Switzerland

Argentina
vs. Mexico

United States vs. Germany

Denmark vs. Italy

Portugal v. Spain

Quarter Finals:

France vs. England

Netherlands vs. Brazil

Argentina vs. Germany

Italy vs. Spain

Semi-Finals:

England vs. Brazil

Argentina vs. Spain

Finals:

Brazil vs. Spain
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 2:06:59 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/5/2010 2:04:16 PM, comoncents wrote:
Did somebody say "mounts"

Why, are Latinos in heat this time of year?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 2:12:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/5/2010 2:06:59 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 6/5/2010 2:04:16 PM, comoncents wrote:
Did somebody say "mounts"

Why, are Latinos in heat this time of year?

I don't know but maybe your on to something. I have been getting it every night sometimes 2-3 times a night for the past 2 weeks.

Maybe your on to something, really.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 2:20:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/5/2010 2:12:46 PM, comoncents wrote:
At 6/5/2010 2:06:59 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 6/5/2010 2:04:16 PM, comoncents wrote:
Did somebody say "mounts"

Why, are Latinos in heat this time of year?

I don't know but maybe your on to something. I have been getting it every night sometimes 2-3 times a night for the past 2 weeks.

Maybe your on to something, really.

Lol, don't you have like 2 kids? Unless you're planning on more you might want to get your wife neutered, or lock her up for a while.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2010 6:15:25 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/6/2010 5:55:45 AM, Puck wrote:
I know someone who put $5 on Serbia at 400:1 to make it past the quarter finals.

Lol, best case scenario for Serbia is to win Group D (Highly unlikely, they're up against Germany). However, the most realistic scenario is that they are runners-up in Group D, and face England in the Last 16. then, their hope is that England, as per usual c*ck-up with injuries and whatnot, and then they proceed onto face Greece or Nigeria, whoever were runner-ups in Group B and somehow beat France\Mexico.

And even then, it's a tough fight.

But entirely theoretical....well, almost.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2010 8:52:24 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Panda wrote:

"their hope is that England, as per usual c*ck-up with injuries and whatnot"

No, we'll go out on penalties like we do every World Cup. The German newspaper Welt was having a good laugh at that yesterday:

http://www.welt.de...
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2010 9:08:15 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/10/2010 8:42:23 AM, feverish wrote:
England v USA on Saturday.

Prepare to get your freedom loving @sses whupped!

How kind of you to translate that, feverish!

I wonder if the England fans will ao considerate in South Africa?

How do you say the following in American?

"He's queer, he's bent, his arse is up for rent, Bocanegra, Bocanegra."

"Who ate all the pies, who ate all the pies - you fat bastard, you fat bastard, you ate all the pies!"

"Come on then if you think you're hard enough, you're going home in a Soweto ambulance."
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 9:28:58 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
SOUTH AFRICA 1, MEXICO 1.

Certainty an interesting start, and there have been complaints about the new ball being used. I feel that Group A could be anyones, but that depends on France vs. Uruguay tomorrow.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 9:38:12 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/11/2010 9:28:58 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
SOUTH AFRICA 1, MEXICO 1.

Certainty an interesting start, and there have been complaints about the new ball being used. I feel that Group A could be anyones, but that depends on France vs. Uruguay tomorrow.

I didn't see it - I'm at work but I just heard that South Africa missed a sitter in the last couple of minutes.

That mistake could cost them dear.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 9:56:34 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/11/2010 9:38:12 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
At 6/11/2010 9:28:58 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
SOUTH AFRICA 1, MEXICO 1.

Certainty an interesting start, and there have been complaints about the new ball being used. I feel that Group A could be anyones, but that depends on France vs. Uruguay tomorrow.

I didn't see it - I'm at work but I just heard that South Africa missed a sitter in the last couple of minutes.

That mistake could cost them dear.

Yeah, the guy had a Mexican player at his back and a good gap between the Goalie and the spot, but he was at an angle, and took a shot, narrowly missing, hitting the post and going out of play. Quite unfortunate. From what I saw of South Africa, with few professional players in terms of the world stage, they did well.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 10:06:11 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Oh is it time for the world cup?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 10:14:06 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/11/2010 10:06:11 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Oh is it time for the world cup?

Yep, France vs. Uruguay 7.30 don't miss it
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 4:09:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/11/2010 9:28:58 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
SOUTH AFRICA 1, MEXICO 1.

Certainty an interesting start, and there have been complaints about the new ball being used. I feel that Group A could be anyones, but that depends on France vs. Uruguay tomorrow.

I think so too! Vi is all "France is obviously dominating this group" but it doesn't seem that way based on the game play today. I wanted SA and Mexico to win equally so I was happy with the outcome :) I also don't really care about Uruguay but I wanted them to beat France. Eh. England vs. US tomorrow lol...
President of DDO
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 4:18:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/11/2010 4:09:14 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 6/11/2010 9:28:58 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
SOUTH AFRICA 1, MEXICO 1.

Certainty an interesting start, and there have been complaints about the new ball being used. I feel that Group A could be anyones, but that depends on France vs. Uruguay tomorrow.

I think so too! Vi is all "France is obviously dominating this group" but it doesn't seem that way based on the game play today. I wanted SA and Mexico to win equally so I was happy with the outcome :) I also don't really care about Uruguay but I wanted them to beat France. Eh. England vs. US tomorrow lol...

England better win in that, lol.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2010 3:44:52 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/11/2010 4:09:14 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 6/11/2010 9:28:58 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
SOUTH AFRICA 1, MEXICO 1.

Certainty an interesting start, and there have been complaints about the new ball being used. I feel that Group A could be anyones, but that depends on France vs. Uruguay tomorrow.

I think so too! Vi is all "France is obviously dominating this group" but it doesn't seem that way based on the game play today. I wanted SA and Mexico to win equally so I was happy with the outcome :) I also don't really care about Uruguay but I wanted them to beat France. Eh. England vs. US tomorrow lol...

Haha yeah, I might watch that just to see if the U.S. actually know what 'football' is.

Oh, and FRANCE 0 - URUGUAY 0. Quite disappointing imo. Both sides had glorious chances, such as Govous mis-hit within the first 10 minutes. Both sides could have, and should have, won.

However, Group A is any mans group now. Uruguay could suprise us with a win over SA and Mexico, seeing as Diego Forlan looks very dangerous up front. France also don't seem to be home and dry at all here either, and I think Mexico will really challenge them, but they should be comfortable enough beating SA.

My predictions are as follows:

Mexico vs. Uruguay - DRAW
France vs. SA - FRANCE WIN
Mexico vs. France - DRAW
Uruguay vs. SA - URUGUAY WIN

This means 5 points for France, 5 for Uruguay, 3 for Mexico and 1 for SA. The winner will probably be based on goals, and I think France have better fire-power overall, so I'm guessing on goal difference France will go ahead as winners.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.