Jump to topic:

SEC Dominance officially over

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 1:46:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
It is done. Some have been saying it is not as powerful as it was for a few years now, but this year has shown without doubt that the SEC (primarily the SEC West) is no longer the king of college Football.

The SEC West did their best to hide their inabilities this year, with 7 teams and 4 non-conference games each, they (as a conference) only played 4 games against non-conference power-5 opponents (meaning they played 24 of those 28 games as fluff games to pad their records).

At one point, they were thought to have 3 of the top 5 teams, and 5 of the top 10 (and there are only 7 in the West). When the bowl games came out, all 7 earned a Bowl Berth and they were expected (by Vegas) to go 5-2 by an average score of 31 to 26.5. Instead, they flipped that, going only 2-5 (with the 2 wins coming from Arkansas and Texas A&M, the bottom 2 of the SEC West) with an average score of 29.5 to 34. And if we only look at their top 5 (the same top five that were all once considered top 10 teams), they went 0-5 with an average score of 26 to 39. All 5 of those teams gave up at least 31 points and 3 gave up more than 40.

Now, some have already begun hedging their SEC overlords by saying that the rules do not allow defense to be played. While it is true that the rules have been favoring offense more than defense lately, TCU (a team not known for their defense) held Ole Miss to only 3 points. Oregon (also not known for their defense) held FSU to only 20 points. In fact, so far, 9 teams in the Bowl Games have held their opponents to 20 or fewer points (including 2 SEC East teams, who were not supposed to be very good). So it clearly can be done.

It is just time to face it, the SEC is not the mighty juggernaut that it once was. Who will take their place? For a moment, it looked like it might have been the ACC, had they gone on to win a second title this year and with some good end of season games (I believe it was 3-0 against SEC teams the final week) and bowl games (Georgia Tech and Clemson were both expected to lose, but instead both dominated).

However, with the Big Ten getting no respect from Vegas (expected to lose all 10 of their bowl games) and showing them up to be currently 5-4 (with 1 bowl game left, not counting the championship), they are making a case that they are the next major contenders. After all, their top three (Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Michigan State) all won in dramatic fashion, despite being an average of a 6.3 point underdog in all games.

We of course have the Pac-12 (and I'll admit, I'm a little bias here), currently sitting at 5-1 for bowl games (with two left, and Vegas does have them predicted to lose one of those). The offense of the Pac-12 can really no longer be questioned. Averaging 43.3 points per game (and only giving up an average of 27 points per game) and every team so far scoring at least 30 points. If UCLA (the one Vegas expects to lose today, though I have them with a win) and Washington can finish toting the line, it will show strength up and down the entire depth of the Pac-12.

Let us last come to the Big 12. While TCU got to make the official statement that they are the best team in the Big 12 and that Baylor, despite winning by only a FG at home against them, was second fiddle. If Kansas State fails to beat UCLA, then TCU will have the only Big 12 win (and I'll have a perfect prediction for the Big 12, getting all the games right). This will put them as the new Big Ten, with only one really good team and the rest as fluff (It used to be Ohio State was all that was good in the Big Ten).

So what we have now, the Big Ten and the Pac-12 are battling it out to be the top Conference with the ACC just behind them.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 2:38:03 PM
Vegas accurately predicted that the ACC would finish 4-7 for the bowl games (though they got the wrong 4 teams winning). How did they stack up? Well, for the most part, better than expected. Vegas has their average score at 27.4 to 29.6, they finished with an average of 29.2 (+1.8) to 30.8 (+1.2). Take out the Oregon butt whooping anomaly and they were 30.1 (+2.7) to 28 (-1.6). Unfortunately, they still fall to the second worst offense and defense of the power 5 conferences. But, they do have some hope with a few good teams at the top.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 2:23:15 AM
I don't care much for college football, but I do love rooting for my alma matter. We (Rutgers) weren't very good this year although I'm hoping that joining the B1G 10 will give us some much needed recruiting clout. While OSU kicked our butts, we held our own vs. Michigan. I'm glad that I was at Rutgers while Ray Rice played and even had a class with him (but he was never there... my rant on athletes and educational processes can be saved for another day). I chuckled when you mentioned holding a team to "only" 20 points as if that was an impressive feat where it is more the norm in the NFL. But yeah, the first year of college playoffs and a 26-0 team got destroyed. It makes you wonder how many faux champions there were in the past...
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 6:44:53 PM
At 1/3/2015 2:23:15 AM, Danielle wrote:
I don't care much for college football, but I do love rooting for my alma matter. We (Rutgers) weren't very good this year although I'm hoping that joining the B1G 10 will give us some much needed recruiting clout. While OSU kicked our butts, we held our own vs. Michigan. I'm glad that I was at Rutgers while Ray Rice played and even had a class with him (but he was never there... my rant on athletes and educational processes can be saved for another day). I chuckled when you mentioned holding a team to "only" 20 points as if that was an impressive feat where it is more the norm in the NFL. But yeah, the first year of college playoffs and a 26-0 team got destroyed. It makes you wonder how many faux champions there were in the past...

It wasn't so much that "only 20" is some kind of masterful defense, but that some ESPN affiliated analysts (at least over here) have been saying that defense is not allowed, of course Alabama is going to give up 600+ yards and 40+ points, because they are not allowed to play defense any more. Even though plenty of teams can do much better than that with far worse defenses.

Anyway, last bowl game done (with a power 5 team).
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 7:15:26 PM
The SEC never was dominant. As for recent times, name an SEC school not from the state of Alabama that has won a national title in the last 5 years. "Alabama Dominance" or Nick Saban Dominance" does not equal "SEC Dominance". Even the national title by LSU in 2003 had that common variable: Nick Saban was coach. Two National titles for Florida during the period we speak of. Coach? Urban Meyer. Notice, Urban Meyer went to Ohio State, and Ohio State became National Champion. This particular era was primarily "Nick Saban and Urban Meyer Domination".
Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 8:33:34 PM
--Era of SEC "Dominance" Recieved a Lot of Help--
1)The SEC plays a lot of bowl games in "SEC Territory"
2)The SEC played for quite a few of its National Championships in "SEC Territory" or even more so , in their home state.
3)SEC teams recieved favorable preseason rankings, giving a distinct advantage. When SEC teams would lose to highly ranked SEC teams, they wouldn't fall as far in the rankings as teams from other conferences facing "lower ranked" teams. This also boomeranged results in the other direction in favor of the SEC. If a lower ranked SEC team could pull off an upset over an over ranked SEC team, the victory would catapult them in the rankings. It was a circular ranking system based off of over ranking SEC teams and guaranteeing many of them start out ranked. With this system, many SEC teams were guaranteed to be ranked whether by winning or replacing each other. It was virtually impossible to keep several SEC teams from being ranked highly and many SEC teams from being ranked. It didn't matter which SEC teams won because if highly ranked teams won, they stsyed ranked high. If SEC teams beat them, they launched in the rankings and "proved how deep the SEC was."
-The system was set up to give the SEC the best odds of any conference in terms of virtually guaranteeing an SEC team got into the National Title game. If you always have a dog in the fight, you always have a chance of winning the championship. If you play many of these games in SEC Territory, or in your home state, your odds go up even more.
-final rankings coming down the stretch were set up so that the SEC representative team would face the weakest team they could justify putting in the game. And if the game was played in SEC territory, even better.
passali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 12:31:37 AM
I completely agree. There is too much evidence to overlook to still say that the SEC (particularly the SEC West) is the best conference in CFB.

I think the Big 10 will probably take the spot as the #1 conference in a few years. The Big 10 has had an influx of great coaches in recent years. (Franklin, Meyer, and Harbaugh) Penn State and Michigan are a work in progress but as we all know Ohio State could win back-to-back championships in 2016.

Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Nebraska don't seem to be slowing down, Notre Dame could join in a few years, Iowa, Northwestern, Purdue, Maryland, Minnesota, and Illinois are good, competitive teams, and if Indiana can fix their defense they will truly be a force to be reckoned with.

And this is an unbiased opinion coming from an SEC fan.
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2015 12:58:12 AM
At 7/21/2015 12:31:37 AM, passali wrote:
I completely agree. There is too much evidence to overlook to still say that the SEC (particularly the SEC West) is the best conference in CFB.

I think the Big 10 will probably take the spot as the #1 conference in a few years. The Big 10 has had an influx of great coaches in recent years. (Franklin, Meyer, and Harbaugh) Penn State and Michigan are a work in progress but as we all know Ohio State could win back-to-back championships in 2016.

Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Nebraska don't seem to be slowing down, Notre Dame could join in a few years, Iowa, Northwestern, Purdue, Maryland, Minnesota, and Illinois are good, competitive teams, and if Indiana can fix their defense they will truly be a force to be reckoned with.

And this is an unbiased opinion coming from an SEC fan.

Notre Dame will never join the Big Ten. They are too worried about their precious independent football status, and the Big Ten would want them to be a member in all sports.
Ashton
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 1:37:07 PM
At 1/3/2015 2:23:15 AM, Danielle wrote:

I dont know why and this is a little crude but hopefully you will take it as a joke. when I think or hear or read the name Rutgers I always think of a guy or girl sitting on the toilet for a #2 and straining. grunting, saying it as he/she lets loose. "aaahhh..ruttt--gerrrs!!" I have always thouught about this. I am not sure why. but think about it.
thats in jersey, right. sorry to hear that. yeck. I live thirty minutes from Stanford. they are my favorite college team.. them and LSU. And USC.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2015 5:23:55 AM
Oklahoma beating Alabama in the Sugar Bowl started the derailing of the SEC image. Oklahoma was hopeless at QB and used a plethera of QB's, never being able to settle on one. They were lost at QB. Alabama was #1 all season until the miracle by Auburn at the end.Alabama had AJ McHarron, Heisman finalist as its QB. The game was playwd in the SEC's backyard. Oklahoma won with a QB who did nothing before or since and has now been replaced going into next season by Mayfield, atransfer from Texas Tech. Then FSU beat Auburn. Then the playoff topped it all off.
AdamEsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 5:00:41 AM
The SEC has been dominant and will rise again! The 2015 and 2016 seasons are the PAC-12 and Big 10's chance to pass them while the majority of SEC teams are experimenting with new QBs. Once those new QBs get settled in, the SEC will reclaim its rightful throne:-)
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 4:39:07 AM
At Neyland Stadium(Knoxville, TN)
Oklahoma (Big 12) 31
Tennessee (SEC) 24

Oops...