Jump to topic:

Instant Replay

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 2:48:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I am one of those fans who think IR needs to be used far more often in sports. Consider for instance the umpire's horrible call that cost Galaraga (Detroit Tigers pitcher) the prestige of pitching a perfect game. Had IR been used, that call wouldn't have been made and the guy would have rightfully earned his place in baseball history. For our international friends, how can we forget France's hand ball in that soccer game vs. Ireland? That's another bad call that could have gone a different way.

Anyway, I think athletes, owners, managers, etc. should really demand more use of IR in sporting events. The fact that this technology wasn't available or used in the past is no reason to not try and prevent bad calls in the future. While it's true that sports are "just a game," for a guy like Galaraga going down in baseball history for his performance could have been somewhat life changing. More importantly, this is an easy way to ensure more fair play and make the right calls. It also deters cheating by the officials who sometimes bet on the games encouraging them to make bad calls.

I think some kind of IR or challenges should be available in every game, even if its with limits such as in football. The fact is that people get so wrapped up in these "games" that it becomes an actual part of their lives lol especially for the athletes themselves. So much money goes into this field of entertainment and it's such a huge market and franchise that I don't see why we haven't implemented this already. Any against it?
President of DDO
nickthengineer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 2:53:30 PM
Nope. Bud(weiser) Selig always says that he doesn't want to "slow the game down", which is the worst excuse ever. There is a reason we call it instant replay and not mail order replay. The replay comes up on tv within twenty seconds of the real time play, so all they have to do is have a fifth umpire watch the game from the booth with the tv people so he can see the replays that everyone watching ESPN sees. He can then announce the right call on the jumbotron in less than a minute, the same way any ten year old watching at home could do. We waste waaaaaaay more than one minute per controversial call with all the manager arguing anyway.
I evolved from stupid. (http://www.debate.org...)
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 5:32:40 PM
At 6/14/2010 2:53:30 PM, nickthengineer wrote:
Nope. Bud(weiser) Selig always says that he doesn't want to "slow the game down", which is the worst excuse ever. There is a reason we call it instant replay and not mail order replay. The replay comes up on tv within twenty seconds of the real time play, so all they have to do is have a fifth umpire watch the game from the booth with the tv people so he can see the replays that everyone watching ESPN sees. He can then announce the right call on the jumbotron in less than a minute, the same way any ten year old watching at home could do. We waste waaaaaaay more than one minute per controversial call with all the manager arguing anyway.

You are so very right.

I think with technology we're able to make games much more fairer than we used to. Using IR is fair to the players who try so hard and pleasing to the fans who would otherwise become frustrated at calls.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 5:33:31 PM
Bud Selig should allow IR for all but individual pitches (balls and strikes).
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Steelerman6794
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 5:41:49 PM
I wholeheartedly disagree that football (soccer) should use instant replay. Part of what makes football the world's game is the lack of equipment required. Also, in my opinion, judgement being left to the officials is what keeps the game so pure. Using IR would remove a necessary human element. I would advocate more officials along the sidelines, but I don't want technology obstructing the beautiful game.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 5:46:44 PM
I think that each side should be allowed to challenge any call made by an umpire through instant replay, although they'd have a limited number of mistakes allowed.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 5:49:30 PM
At 6/25/2010 5:41:49 PM, Steelerman6794 wrote:
I wholeheartedly disagree that football (soccer) should use instant replay. Part of what makes football the world's game is the lack of equipment required. Also, in my opinion, judgement being left to the officials is what keeps the game so pure. Using IR would remove a necessary human element. I would advocate more officials along the sidelines, but I don't want technology obstructing the beautiful game.

The soccer ball is a product of technology.

I say absolutely yes to instant replay. It is essential and necessary for a fair game.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 5:52:30 PM
I wholeheartedly disagree that football (soccer) should use instant replay. Part of what makes football the world's game is the lack of equipment required.
You can play sandlot American football without equipment other than a ball (or, hell, a Gatorade bottle can sub for a ball if ya want, it won't be very good but hey) either. You don't even need goalposts, no one ever kicks field goals in games below a certain level anyway. Making the game fairer when billions of dollars are at stake does not necessitate expense the rest of the time.

Also, in my opinion, judgement being left to the officials is what keeps the game so pure.
Error=/= purity. Purity in a sport consists of the competitors causing the outcome according to the rules, without it being altered by faulty perceptions.

Using IR would remove a necessary human element.
Nothing necessary about it.

I really don't think the Galaraga call can be honestly called "horrible" btw when one does not look at replays.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 6:06:59 PM
Armando Galarraga is going to be more famous in many ways for the incident than if he had just pitched a perfect game. Seriously, look at the list of people who have done so. It's full of nobodies. But I agree with your general sentiment in quite a few ways.
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 6:07:37 PM

dumb.
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 6:08:12 PM
At 6/25/2010 5:52:30 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I really don't think the Galaraga call can be honestly called "horrible" btw when one does not look at replays.

lol don't talk about baseball thanks
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2010 9:07:50 AM
Football\Soccer needs IR NOW. Too many teams have been rewed over by poor calls. Did anyone see Henrys handball against Ireland? What about the US.'s disallowed goal against Algeria for no reason? or Kaka begin sent off after a player dived?
All of these games would pan out differently (And more fairly) if we had IR.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2010 9:15:56 AM
In cricket they hey have used a '3rd Umpire' for quite a few years now, trialled in various ways, the last giving teams the limited number of referrals they can use if they believed a call was not in their favour. Should the field umpires call be overturned, it counted as a 'free' referral. Rugby codes have been using it for years also to adjudicate on tries the field umpire is unsure of.
Steelerman6794
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2010 9:22:44 AM
At 6/26/2010 9:07:50 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Football\Soccer needs IR NOW. Too many teams have been rewed over by poor calls. Did anyone see Henrys handball against Ireland? What about the US.'s disallowed goal against Algeria for no reason? or Kaka begin sent off after a player dived?

But what you are naming are all fouls. No major sport (that I can think of) has instant replay for a penalty. American football has IR for just about everything, but a flag on a play is non-reviewable. I'm all for goal-line sensors and extra line judges, but allowing IR will render a ref's judgement moot.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2010 9:27:52 AM
At 6/26/2010 9:22:44 AM, Steelerman6794 wrote:

But what you are naming are all fouls. No major sport (that I can think of) has instant replay for a penalty. American football has IR for just about everything, but a flag on a play is non-reviewable. I'm all for goal-line sensors and extra line judges, but allowing IR will render a ref's judgement moot.

Yeah, exactly, it means the referee is fallible, unless you want to argue otherwise.
Steelerman6794
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2010 10:32:56 AM
At 6/26/2010 9:27:52 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Yeah, exactly, it means the referee is fallible, unless you want to argue otherwise.

Okay, so are you saying we shouldn't have human referees anymore? Because soccer could have a tech guy above the field reviewing every play, and fouls and goals could be called two minutes after the fact, thus destroying the fluidity/momentum of the game.

American football and baseball differ from soccer because the former two rely exclusively on set plays, so stopping play for a minute or two wouldn't be a big deal. Soccer is constant back and forth, nonstop action, so I believe stopping the game for IR would be detrimental to the game. Just my opinion.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2010 11:30:49 AM
At 6/26/2010 10:32:56 AM, Steelerman6794 wrote:
At 6/26/2010 9:27:52 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Okay, so are you saying we shouldn't have human referees anymore? Because soccer could have a tech guy above the field reviewing every play, and fouls and goals could be called two minutes after the fact, thus destroying the fluidity/momentum of the game.

No, a referee needs to be there for calls to keep fluidity, I agree, for bigger decision such as penalty's and red cards, we need IR. specially for instances the referee can't see (E.g. Kaka "assaulting" Keita in the Ivory Coast - Brazil match)

American football and baseball differ from soccer because the former two rely exclusively on set plays, so stopping play for a minute or two wouldn't be a big deal. Soccer is constant back and forth, nonstop action, so I believe stopping the game for IR would be detrimental to the game. Just my opinion.

Of course the fluidity is necessary, but good referring is also needed. A balance must be struck.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2010 1:20:38 PM
i dunno. sure, they'd make sports a lot fairer, but i think they'd kill a lot of the atmosphere for the fans. i love the hatred that goes with sports, and it's never gonna result in anything bad happening, so it would be a shame to lose it. i'd nearly believe that it was a very good way of relieving stress.
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 5:47:15 AM
At 6/27/2010 5:09:10 AM, feverish wrote:
At 6/26/2010 1:20:38 PM, badger wrote:
i love the hatred that goes with sports

lmao

it sounds funny, but do you get what i mean? like instant replays would get rid of the likes of drogba diving, and even though a lot of people hate him for it, it's kinda like a healthy hatred.
signature
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 9:05:12 AM
After Lampard being denied an obvious goal, I don't think any Englishman will disagree with IR.
Steelerman6794
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 12:34:59 PM
At 6/27/2010 9:05:12 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
After Lampard being denied an obvious goal, I don't think any Englishman will disagree with IR.

After seeing the goal that was obviously offsides in Argentina vs. Mexico, I now officially recant my previous statements denouncing IR. The referees already where headsets for communication, so a quick look at an instant replay wouldn't take long. Bring on the IR!
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 12:58:48 PM
At 6/27/2010 12:34:59 PM, Steelerman6794 wrote:

After seeing the goal that was obviously offsides in Argentina vs. Mexico, I now officially recant my previous statements denouncing IR. The referees already where headsets for communication, so a quick look at an instant replay wouldn't take long. Bring on the IR!

Indeed. Apparently only one man doesn't want it, Sepp Blatter.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2010 3:55:51 AM
If the refs had instant replay it would have been the dirty, cheating Spaniard Capdevila that would have got the red card for diving - rather than the perfectly innocent Ricardo Costa.

Spain are an absolute disgrace and will no doubt be punished, but that will be no consolation to the Portuguese who are now out of the competition.

Mind you, Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo is the biggest cheat of the lot, so perhaps they deserve a taste of their own medicine?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 9:50:17 AM
At 6/27/2010 12:58:48 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 6/27/2010 12:34:59 PM, Steelerman6794 wrote:

Indeed. Apparently only one man doesn't want it, Sepp Blatter.

Actually, Sepp Blatter is re-opening the case on IR!