Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Russell Wilson - No Longer Elite?

R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 7:50:24 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
A lot of people were having trouble talking about Wilson as elite. Scrambling QBs have almost never made an impact in the NFL, at least not as far as Superbowls are concerned. Steve Young was the only one who's had much success in that category and I'm not even sure he qualifies... Michael Vick is probably the top one in history so far and has yet to get to the big game. Most all of them are busts after their rookie years. Wilson seemed to be the one who was gonna turn it around, but with that running game and that defense, how much credit does he really deserve? What quarterback wouldn't have success behind Lynch and the LOB?

Wilson threw three interceptions against the Packers in the Championship game, and threw the game-ending interception in the Superbowl. I think it's safe to say he's firmly in the middle-tier of quarterbacks, certainly not top-10.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 4:35:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I agree.

I'd also add that its fallacious to say that he's "no longer" elite because he was never elite in the first place.

I'm hoping Lynch goes to another team next year so Wilson will be forced to throw the ball more, and we'll see what he's actually made of. But right now, I can think of 12 QBs better than him.
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 4:45:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Eh...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 12:03:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/3/2015 4:35:17 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
I agree.

I'd also add that its fallacious to say that he's "no longer" elite because he was never elite in the first place.

While I would agree that simply hasn't been the consensus of the football know-it-alls this year. Have you seen a Hawks game? Have you listened how they talk about him? They don't talk any better about Rodgers or Brady than they do about Wilson, they are constantly saying he is elite because of his ability to scramble and make the throws. The message is that he's not quite the pocket-passer, but makes up for it with scrambling and being able to throw on the run. He is regarded as one of the smartest QBs around.

I'm hoping Lynch goes to another team next year so Wilson will be forced to throw the ball more, and we'll see what he's actually made of. But right now, I can think of 12 QBs better than him.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
HmblySkTrth
Posts: 26
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 12:35:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
While I would not call him the best, he is the ONLY quarterback who could have won last year's Superbowl with the Seahawks' offensive line. Most would have been sacked 70 times. And none of the few who were fast enough to avoid the rush have the smarts and level head to make the plays he made.
He is clearly elite when it comes to playing with a weak offensive line, and very underrated because most don't realize what he is up against. If you switch quarterbacks last season between Seattle and San Francisco, the 49ers would have been the champs.
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 11:02:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/4/2015 12:35:37 PM, HmblySkTrth wrote:
While I would not call him the best, he is the ONLY quarterback who could have won last year's Superbowl with the Seahawks' offensive line. Most would have been sacked 70 times. And none of the few who were fast enough to avoid the rush have the smarts and level head to make the plays he made.
He is clearly elite when it comes to playing with a weak offensive line, and very underrated because most don't realize what he is up against. If you switch quarterbacks last season between Seattle and San Francisco, the 49ers would have been the champs.

Nobody is saying Kaepernick is anything special... He makes bad decisions, has a 3 second throwing motion, and he's a punk.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2015 12:26:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/5/2015 10:19:53 AM, HmblySkTrth wrote:
The fact remains that Russell Wilson did as much as anybody could with that offensive line and wide receivers.

Yeah right is there any team a QB would rather be on than the Hawks? Best running game in the league, best defense in the league... All he has to do is show up and look pretty. The last two games of the postseason he barely did anything. Set a record for longest time without a completion in the Superbowl.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
birdlandmemories
Posts: 4,140
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2015 12:39:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/3/2015 7:50:24 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
A lot of people were having trouble talking about Wilson as elite. Scrambling QBs have almost never made an impact in the NFL, at least not as far as Superbowls are concerned. Steve Young was the only one who's had much success in that category and I'm not even sure he qualifies... Michael Vick is probably the top one in history so far and has yet to get to the big game. Most all of them are busts after their rookie years. Wilson seemed to be the one who was gonna turn it around, but with that running game and that defense, how much credit does he really deserve? What quarterback wouldn't have success behind Lynch and the LOB?

Wilson threw three interceptions against the Packers in the Championship game, and threw the game-ending interception in the Superbowl. I think it's safe to say he's firmly in the middle-tier of quarterbacks, certainly not top-10.

It's only his 3rd year. He still has time to mature and develop his game. How many players can say they made the Super Bowl in 2 of their first 3 years? Te interception is more on the coaching staff than it is in Wilson. But nothing should be taken away from Butler. What a phenomenal job he did reading the play and saving the game for the Patriots.
Ashton
HmblySkTrth
Posts: 26
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2015 4:18:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/5/2015 12:26:08 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 2/5/2015 10:19:53 AM, HmblySkTrth wrote:
The fact remains that Russell Wilson did as much as anybody could with that offensive line and wide receivers.

Yeah right is there any team a QB would rather be on than the Hawks?

Most QBs would get killed behind that offensive line!

Best running game in the league,

While the line is bad in pass protection, it is only a little better at run blocking. Thankfully, Lynch is the best running back in the game. But they would not even have an average rated rushing offense without RW scrambling for over 800 yards!

On plays where RW scrambles for positive yards, most QBs would either get sacked or forced to throw the ball away.

The few QBs fast enough to escape the rush (Michael Vick, Colin Kaepernick, etc.) can gain rushing yards, but cannot improvise like RW. The WRs usually cannot get open until RW scrambles to buy extra time. This is how they make most of their biggest plays.

best defense in the league...

When healthy, they are the best defense in the game. But they were riddled with injuries this year, and most of them were playing hurt, especially in the secondary. NE had the better defense in the SB because they were healthier.

All he has to do is show up and look pretty.

I already covered that above.

The last two games of the postseason he barely did anything. Set a record for longest time without a completion in the Superbowl.

Yeah, he struggled. But most QBs (and teams) would have quit against GB. He showed mental toughness and leadership to pull off that miracle.

While there are better 'pure passers' in the league who could be more successful than RW with better offensive linemen and better receivers, I cannot think of any other QB who could have won last years superbowl with Seattle's team, considering the offensive limitations.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 8:12:30 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I don't think that Wilson is elite or ever achieved elite status, but he is talented for sure. Let's not forget that he crushed Denver in the Superbowl and he doesn't have a lot of receiving weapons. Also in his defense, it's only his 3rd year and he's been to the Superbowl twice! Of course the Hawks run/defense helps that but it's still an accomplishment. He isn't among the best now but he will improve. If I were going to the Superbowl there are a dozen QBs I'd prefer over Wilson, that's true. He's part of the "iffy" category along with Tony Romo and Joe Flacco. When they're on, they're on... but I'd take both of those guys in the Superbowl as my QB over Wilson tbh.
President of DDO
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 3:44:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/6/2015 8:12:30 AM, Danielle wrote:
I don't think that Wilson is elite or ever achieved elite status, but he is talented for sure. Let's not forget that he crushed Denver in the Superbowl and he doesn't have a lot of receiving weapons. Also in his defense, it's only his 3rd year and he's been to the Superbowl twice! Of course the Hawks run/defense helps that but it's still an accomplishment. He isn't among the best now but he will improve. If I were going to the Superbowl there are a dozen QBs I'd prefer over Wilson, that's true. He's part of the "iffy" category along with Tony Romo and Joe Flacco. When they're on, they're on... but I'd take both of those guys in the Superbowl as my QB over Wilson tbh.

I'd take Wilson over Kaepernick. Any pocket passer like Flacco, Romo, or Ryan seems better to me than Wilson though.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.