Jump to topic:

Super Bowl game winning int

Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 11:50:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Am I the only one who thought it strange Butler knew the playcall before it even happened? Any presumptions they saw lips or something? If not, butler is one heck of a player.

You can see what I am talking about by this angle. He runs right to the ball. https://www.youtube.com...
kfc
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 12:15:49 AM
At 2/3/2015 11:50:41 PM, Koopin wrote:
Am I the only one who thought it strange Butler knew the playcall before it even happened? Any presumptions they saw lips or something? If not, butler is one heck of a player.

You can see what I am talking about by this angle. He runs right to the ball. https://www.youtube.com...

I think it's the type of play that, because of the significance of it, and the stage it was on, really shows the type of instincts and athletic ability that is required.

In other words, this type of jump isn't really that unusual, it's just the nature of the play that makes it seems so spectacular - and it was, freaking incredible. If you are going to make a monster play like that, it might as well be one of the top 3 in superbowl history. I'd argue #1, but that might just be because of how fresh it is. Seriously, how many game deciding plays with the outcome in the air are there in superbowl history?... We should definitely have that discussion.

But back to the point. What you see here is the slot receiver sneak up in what looks like a basic block route intended to get the underneath receiver open. Butler sees this immediately, and knows the design of the play means quick slant to the underneath receiver (who was the wide out initially), and jumps on it immediately when he sees the wide out do a sharp slant.

A DB has to react to that immediately and without hesitation. Part of it's training, part of it is talent, and part of it is instinct. Everything else is pure athletic ability and skill, and that was the difference between a good defensive play (a batted pass) and an epic interception that may be the greatest play in superbowl history.

"Am I the only one who thought it strange Butler knew the playcall before it even happened?"

Can't say that it looks like that. Watch very closely, Butler is leaning back until he sees the route play out. Then, he makes his move. It happens in under a second, but it's a game of inches and quick moments that make all the difference.

This was pure skill on the part of Butler. He is one heck of a player, and he showed it at least for that play.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 12:35:28 AM
Just to further emphasize this, everything important in this play happens in the 11 second mark in this video. It's under 1 second of elapsed time, but it's that one second where everything important happens.

The snap is made at the end of the 10 second mark.

At the 11 second mark the slot receiver moves up towards the DB.

The wide out takes a long step like it's a fade route, and Butler even mirrors this by taking a half step back (watch his right foot).

Then the wide out does a sharp in-route and Butler runs to the spot immediately. At that point a good DB knows exactly where the ball is going because this route is deigned for one thing - quick slant and pass. Butler pretty much has to go all or nothing here and the wide out is the only risk since there is no other receiver he's responsible for. Butler Jets and beats the WR and the pass to get his hands on it first just at the start of the 12 second mark. Game over.
Debate.org Moderator
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 1:17:36 AM

Cheating alert. Bill Belichick hacked Pete Carrol's tablet and downloaded all their plays. Butler told to jump slant route prior to pass.

#hackgate
#cheatriots
#superbowlasterisk
#banbill4life
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 1:18:33 AM
Jokes aside, Airmax is right. DB's jump routes all the time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Here, it worked. We're just focusing on it because it won the game.
numberwang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 1:43:32 AM
I played highschool football (saftey/cb) and I had a couple of picks that were practically identical to that one. The guy is a professional, he probably studied hours of film, its not surprising that he picked up on what was going on. Thats what good backs do on defense.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 1:49:41 AM
At 2/4/2015 1:17:36 AM, BlackVoid wrote:

Cheating alert. Bill Belichick hacked Pete Carrol's tablet and downloaded all their plays. Butler told to jump slant route prior to pass.

#hackgate
#cheatriots
#superbowlasterisk
#banbill4life

I really would have liked to see both of these teams lose, but since that couldn't happen it was great to see such a spectacular game... As deflated as I was after the Packers loss in the NFC championship, (as much as I hate to admit it) I feel a lot better knowing that Seahawks fans have to be 100 times more deflated than I was.... I thought the Packers had it with 5 minutes to go in that game... but to be 2 seconds away, and one yard from an assured superbowl victory and to lose it like that - that's an instant sickening feeling that I don't think I've ever experienced as a sports fan (and that's counting all of Brett Favre's epic interceptions in the playoffs)...

But back to your point... these are two of the franchises that I love to hate - And Cracked (in the video) explains why.

https://www.youtube.com...
Debate.org Moderator
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 12:07:15 PM
Yeah the same people who thought it was supernatural are the ones yelling about how stupid they are when it doesn't work and the receiver catches the fade on the outside of the end zone because the safeties are inside trying to jump the routes.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.