Jump to topic:

Dan Gilbert breaks down

USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2010 9:02:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I live in Cleveland and can report that local news anchors, even weather people, are in a pretty bitter mood (publicly).

My interpretation, as a native/resident, is that NE Ohio doesn't feel entitled to anything; people here just feel led on and left out. In other words, we feel jerked around by all the hype, secrecy, and misleading info of the past 40 days.

The process of how this was handled is what bothers NE Ohioans most tonight.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2010 9:41:57 PM
"I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER ‘KING' WINS ONE...You can take it to the bank."

That's what's really comical lol because it's pretty obvious Miami is going to be a very dominant team next season (and probably many more after that). I figured that this would be the case after Miami confirmed D-Wade and Bosh; James has said all along that his main focus is to WIN and he feels that it can only be accomplished by surrounding himself with these kind of players. And hey - you can't blame him.

What's really annoying to me, though, is that Dan Gilbert makes it seem as if LeBron *OWES* it to Cleveland to stay there... wtf? They got LUCKY he went to them 7 years ago, and all of the things they did to keep him there and make him happy they knew came with no guarantees, as one player typically goes (a) where the money is or (b) where the wins are. The latter is most important to James and he's never been shy about saying so. Just because he grew up in Ohio doesn't mean leaving is an act of disloyalty either. Players switch teams all the time, and few ever have the privilege of even playing in their hometown to begin with.

Also, enough with the "self professed King" crap. LeBron IS one of the best players in the NBA who has had a tremendous amount of success -- I bet the Cavs owner had absolutely no problem mentioning The King when it hyped up Cav fans and put people in the stands, eh? Honestly I understand why he's upset, but eh I'm not sure how much of it is justified. I'm not an insider so I dunno exactly how LeBron has been handling everything. I just know it's not tremendously uncommon to 'announce' where one is going, and the only reason it's getting this amount of press is not only because James is involved but because this free agency year is just crazy in general.

I'm predicting a Celtics/Heat championship next year lol... good luck to LeBron who deserves to win (wish it coulda been in NY or Chicago though!!! :P ).
President of DDO
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2010 11:12:15 PM
At 7/8/2010 9:41:57 PM, theLwerd wrote:

What's really annoying to me, though, is that Dan Gilbert makes it seem as if LeBron *OWES* it to Cleveland to stay there... wtf?

In fairness to Gilbert, Lebron has said from day one that he wants to win Cleveland a championship because it's his home, etc. He didn't say what every athlete says about the city in which he currently plays; he specifically and repeatedly made it a personal issue because of his local ties. In short, I would agree with your sentiments had Lebron not blatantly invited those expectations for years.

Just because he grew up in Ohio doesn't mean leaving is an act of disloyalty either. Players switch teams all the time, and few ever have the privilege of even playing in their hometown to begin with.

Generally, I agree. But specifically with Lebron (what I mentioned above), he put that personal pressure/expectation on himself.

Also, enough with the "self professed King" crap. LeBron IS one of the best players in the NBA who has had a tremendous amount of success -- I bet the Cavs owner had absolutely no problem mentioning The King when it hyped up Cav fans and put people in the stands, eh? Honestly I understand why he's upset, but eh I'm not sure how much of it is justified.

(1) I agree with the too-little/too-late aspect of Gilbert's comments. He should have put a stop to this before tonight if it were that important. It might just reveal that Gilbert was a pushover just as much as it reveals Lebron as a coddled, needy narcissist.

(2) While I applaud Gilbert's intentions behind his comments, I cringe at the execution. This might do more harm than good, in that other free agents might see his ownership group/Cleveland as the available, cute girl who's also extremely high-maintenance---and, ultimately, just not worth it. We can't build a team around players fearful of what ownership might say about THEM if they ever leave.

I'm not an insider so I dunno exactly how LeBron has been handling everything. I just know it's not tremendously uncommon to 'announce' where one is going, and the only reason it's getting this amount of press is not only because James is involved but because this free agency year is just crazy in general.

But it is common, professional decency to inform you current employer that you plan to leave. That he didn't tell the Cavs even today, just to ensure hype for his primetime special, was cowardly and unprofessional. I just hope Gilbert doesn't lower himself to that level, in response (if it's not too late).

I'm predicting a Celtics/Heat championship next year lol... good luck to LeBron who deserves to win (wish it coulda been in NY or Chicago though!!! :P ).

I'm predicting either Wade or Bosh gets injured for a significant amount of time next year. They've both been prone to ailments these past two years, and even Lebron's elbow bothered him late this season.

As the Celtics and Heat are both in the East, I'll just pick the Lakers to win again. Phil will get his fourth 3-peat; Kobe will get his sixth ring; Cleveland will still try to win an elusive sports championship.

(46 years and counting...)

Go Browns!
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 7:31:11 AM
At 7/8/2010 11:12:15 PM, USAPitBull63 wrote:
In fairness to Gilbert, Lebron has said from day one that he wants to win Cleveland a championship because it's his home, etc. He didn't say what every athlete says about the city in which he currently plays; he specifically and repeatedly made it a personal issue because of his local ties. In short, I would agree with your sentiments had Lebron not blatantly invited those expectations for years.

True - but what did you expect him to say? Cleveland got lucky they got him and I'm sure LeBron felt some sort of welcomed pressure to be the one to deliver Cleveland a ring. But you have to remember that he was like what... 17 at the time? And I don't doubt for a second that he *truly* wanted to win with the Cavs, though while he wanted to Win Cleveland a championship, he simply 'wants to win a championship' more and that doesn't seem likely in Cleveland. Plus I think Miami as a city just appeals to him.

The Cavs have to take responsibility in that they weren't aggressive in recruiting others to join LeBron. If they had been the ones to get D-Wade and Bosh, James would have stayed. I feel like the only way they could have expected to keep James was to "make him an offer he couldn't refuse" hehe so to speak, but they didn't do that and instead just expected him to stay... Why?

In short, of course LeBron should have talked about winning Cleveland a championship, as it IS his home town team, and he DID have a contract to stay there lol. But things change and people move on. I think this villainization of him is just sort of unwarranted. I saw his interview with Larry King earlier this summer; he seems sort of like a humble guy.

(1) I agree with the too-little/too-late aspect of Gilbert's comments. He should have put a stop to this before tonight if it were that important. It might just reveal that Gilbert was a pushover just as much as it reveals Lebron as a coddled, needy narcissist.

I don't understand though why you think it's a big deal that he made this whole dramatic 'announcement' when it's something that's very common in sports. People are always speculating this about free agents, and I mean look at Brett Favre. He STILL hasn't announced [officially] if he'll play with the Vikings next month lol come on. I mean we know he will but the point is that he's another example of a player whose announcements got a lot of attention and press, etc.

(2) While I applaud Gilbert's intentions behind his comments, I cringe at the execution. This might do more harm than good, in that other free agents might see his ownership group/Cleveland as the available, cute girl who's also extremely high-maintenance---and, ultimately, just not worth it. We can't build a team around players fearful of what ownership might say about THEM if they ever leave.

This is very true. Also I really think this whole promise about the Cavs winning was just really irresponsible as a business man lol what happens if the Cavs DON'T win and Miami does...? He ends up looking like a re :/

But it is common, professional decency to inform you current employer that you plan to leave. That he didn't tell the Cavs even today, just to ensure hype for his primetime special, was cowardly and unprofessional. I just hope Gilbert doesn't lower himself to that level, in response (if it's not too late).

... but not in sports. He was probably afraid that if he told too many people, it would get out, and that would take away from that huge ESPN special of his lol (he donated the proceeds). I see what you mean though, but like I said it's not terribly uncommon for there to be a huge press conference and whatnot after a player makes a big announcement. And LeBron is a big enough player to warrant that type of attention. It might irk Gilbert BUT LeBron only got away with it because people are THAT interested lol.

I'm predicting either Wade or Bosh gets injured for a significant amount of time next year. They've both been prone to ailments these past two years, and even Lebron's elbow bothered him late this season.

Good points...

As the Celtics and Heat are both in the East, I'll just pick the Lakers to win again. Phil will get his fourth 3-peat; Kobe will get his sixth ring; Cleveland will still try to win an elusive sports championship.

Duh - I'm retarded. Well it'd be interesting to see Kobe vs. LeBron, eh? Seems like the Heat could beat the Celtics depending on who they got to fill the other starting line-up spots.

(46 years and counting...)

Go Browns!

I lol'd.
President of DDO
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 1:36:01 PM
At 7/9/2010 7:31:11 AM, theLwerd wrote:

True - but what did you expect him to say? Cleveland got lucky they got him and I'm sure LeBron felt some sort of welcomed pressure to be the one to deliver Cleveland a ring. But you have to remember that he was like what... 17 at the time?

It wasn't something he said once when he was signed. He's said it repeatedly for the past seven years.

And I don't doubt for a second that he *truly* wanted to win with the Cavs, though while he wanted to Win Cleveland a championship, he simply 'wants to win a championship' more and that doesn't seem likely in Cleveland. Plus I think Miami as a city just appeals to him.

Right. But he made this current backlash what it is by fostering that uniquely local approach to being the good soldier, so to speak.

The Cavs have to take responsibility in that they weren't aggressive in recruiting others to join LeBron. If they had been the ones to get D-Wade and Bosh, James would have stayed.

The Cavaliers and Lebron tried recruiting Bosh, but Bosh didn't want to play in Cleveland. I would boo Bosh the loudest if I saw a Heat game. Talk about an overrated player who "fell up" from all this hype.

I feel like the only way they could have expected to keep James was to "make him an offer he couldn't refuse" hehe so to speak, but they didn't do that and instead just expected him to stay... Why?

They offered him the maximum salary, plus too many other amenities.

In short, of course LeBron should have talked about winning Cleveland a championship, as it IS his home town team, and he DID have a contract to stay there lol. But things change and people move on. I think this villainization of him is just sort of unwarranted. I saw his interview with Larry King earlier this summer; he seems sort of like a humble guy.

He can conduct himself well. He just hasn't this time, when it matters most.

But then again, saying that he spoiled Cleveland fans, not shaking hands with the Magic two years ago, and constantly referring to himself in the third-person discredit his alleged humility.

(One of my favorite moments last night was when he told Jim Gray, on his personal televised special, how humbling this process has been. Irony!)

I don't understand though why you think it's a big deal that he made this whole dramatic 'announcement' when it's something that's very common in sports.

It's quasi-common for a handful of high-school athletes to announce where they plan to attend college. Professionals don't do this.

People are always speculating this about free agents, and I mean look at Brett Favre. He STILL hasn't announced [officially] if he'll play with the Vikings next month lol come on. I mean we know he will but the point is that he's another example of a player whose announcements got a lot of attention and press, etc.

(1) People can speculate without the athlete intentionally making a circus of the event.

(2) Bret Favre was let go, however. Plus, he didn't jerk around Green Bay at the prime of his career. He didn't become an annual, offseason annoyance until he began contemplating retirement. Plus, even when he does this with media, he keeps in contact with his organization as to what he's doing.

I'm okay with hype. I just don't like deliberately doing it at the expense of those who don't deserve it. (p.s. Bret Favre annoys me, anyway.)

This is very true. Also I really think this whole promise about the Cavs winning was just really irresponsible as a business man lol what happens if the Cavs DON'T win and Miami does...? He ends up looking like a re :/

Right. If the Cavs don't win a championship before Lebron wins his first, maybe he'll be a deceptive traitor who lied to us. To my earlier point, he'll justifiably have to accept any backlash that comes because of it/the remarks.

... but not in sports. He was probably afraid that if he told too many people, it would get out, and that would take away from that huge ESPN special of his lol (he donated the proceeds).

(1) Exactly! That is my point. That sucks.

(2) The charity angle was just PR to soften the backlash. Sure, I'm glad he did it, but it was strategy. (I liked how the "boys and girls" clubbers in the background gasped and frowned in the background, save 1-2 "yes!" cheers.)

I see what you mean though, but like I said it's not terribly uncommon for there to be a huge press conference and whatnot after a player makes a big announcement. And LeBron is a big enough player to warrant that type of attention. It might irk Gilbert BUT LeBron only got away with it because people are THAT interested lol.

Press conferences are normal. But it's professional protocol to alert media after alerting the parties involved. Lebron could still have had his announcement special if word officially got out early. The advertisement money didn't depend on ratings.

I lol'd.

True Story: About ten years ago, ESPN.com conducted a poll about cities who most deserve a championship. I think San Diego was first, and Cleveland finished runner-up. I emailed the company, "This just proves it. Cleveland can't even win this poll."

That evening, they read my email on SportsCenter, with a "touche" in response. :)
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 4:03:43 PM
At 7/9/2010 1:36:01 PM, USAPitBull63 wrote:
At 7/9/2010 7:31:11 AM, theLwerd wrote:

True - but what did you expect him to say? Cleveland got lucky they got him and I'm sure LeBron felt some sort of welcomed pressure to be the one to deliver Cleveland a ring. But you have to remember that he was like what... 17 at the time?

It wasn't something he said once when he was signed. He's said it repeatedly for the past seven years.

Don't all players just naturally say that when they get drafted or signed?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 7:40:35 AM
I agree that Bosh is getting all of this really undeserved hype lol. But maybe playing with LeBron and D-wade will up his game? Haha about the "touche" comment and Cleveland - that's funny. The thing is, while they offered LeBron a lot of money, I think he also wanted a part in management or something like that which they didn't give him (I heard this briefly somewhere, I think). On the other hand, I'm pretty sure the Heat gave him a piece of it, which only made it more appealing.

In short, does he look like a huge tool for ditching Cleveland after all of these unfulfilled promises? Of course. But all it does is prove that while he may very well be a tool, he's STILL a great basketball player, so Miami has no incentive to "worship" him for anything but his on the court performance. He might not be the hometown hero they thought he was, but he's still an amazing baller... and in the end he didn't really owe them anything :/

He did the best he could and tried to help recruit Bosh, but in the end he had to follow his heart and dream. I just personally don't think the backlash is really warranted. They should be glad he even took Cleveland to the finals when they had absolutely no business being there; he was the only reason they were. I understand that this might be the point - that he was their only chance, and he deserted them after making that commitment, but without Bosh the Cavs probs could NOT have a successful future. So in the end LeBron had to make the choice, and he made it in favor of himself. It sucks for Cleveland, but I think villainizing him for pursuing a dream is just kind of unnecessary and harsh.

One guy on CNN said it best (and lol @ this story being all over CNN) -- People find themselves getting upset over the fact that they're upset so much. In the end, basketball is a game. Does it really matter if your team wins the championship or not? No lol. So the fact that people are all up in arms is just kind of silly. He's just a basketball player not pursuing fame or fortune (which he already has) but rather his goal of winning. Crucify him! Put it on the front page of every paper! Burn his jersey (that you spent $80 on)! Our obsession with sports is actually a really funny human phenomena I think lol.
President of DDO
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2010 6:28:52 AM
My interpretation, as a native/resident, is that NE Ohio doesn't feel entitled to anything; people here just feel led on and left out. In other words, we feel jerked around by all the hype, secrecy, and misleading info of the past 40 days.:

I think the anger against Lebron is very misdirected. The anger should reasonably be with the Cav's management. They had SEVEN years to build a decent team around Lebron, and they didn't do it. They just expected Lebron to stay in Cleveland because he's an Ohioan native??? Should the Sixers expect Kobe to play for them just because he was born in Philly? How about D-Wade to go to the Bulls because he's born and raised in Chicago?

To blame Lebron for leaving only begs the question why Dan couldn't pull anything together for him/ Lebron only has control over Lebron. Dan has control over the entire Cavalier's basketball team. For him to turn this around on Lebron with a scathing and vitriolic excoriation/curse is disgusting. F*ck him!!!
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2010 1:52:46 PM
At 7/12/2010 6:28:52 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
To blame Lebron for leaving only begs the question why Dan couldn't pull anything together for him/ Lebron only has control over Lebron. Dan has control over the entire Cavalier's basketball team. For him to turn this around on Lebron with a scathing and vitriolic excoriation/curse is disgusting. F*ck him!!!

Werd.
President of DDO
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 8:55:20 AM
Jesse Jackson compared Gilbert's rant/mentality to that of a slave-driver/owner upset with a runaway-/free slave.

Yessssssss. (I love when the reverend gets involved.)

Being as Byron Scott (as expected) stuck up for his new boss (Gilbert), Jackson's rationale must presume that he's an "Uncle Tom."

But, of course, no one will dare ask JJ this. Then Sharpton might get involved.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 9:25:26 AM
At 7/13/2010 8:55:20 AM, USAPitBull63 wrote:
Jesse Jackson compared Gilbert's rant/mentality to that of a slave-driver/owner upset with a runaway-/free slave.:

Can't say I'm not surprised that the poverty pimps are turning this non-racial issue in to something racial.

I wonder what Jesse Jackson saying he wanted to cut off Barack Obama's nuts is reminiscent of...
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)