Jump to topic:

Cliff Lee

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 9:01:17 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
... is apparently very close to signing with The Yankees. Holy crap! Their starting rotation is ridiculous. CC Sabathia, Andy Pettite <3 (he's 11-2 so far this season), Phil Hughes, and of course AJ Burnett (though he's just 7-7 -- we still know what he's capable of). With Cliff Lee, they'll be even more dominant. I suspected this though after his performance in Philly against them last October. This trade might make New Yorkers feel better if they're feeling any resentment about LeBron's decision :p
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 7:26:15 AM
At 7/9/2010 9:24:41 PM, LeafRod wrote:
wins are the worst stat

True... but still. The Yanks have the best rotation, probs. C'mon Mets!
President of DDO
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 8:34:44 AM
Without Cliff Lee? I don't agree.

If we only look at this year, their only three good pitchers have been Hughes, Sabathia, and Pettitte. Hughes has been quite good, Sabathia very good, and Pettitte excellent.

The Padres have Mat Latos who has been like Pettitte, Clayton Richard who has been a bit worse than Sabathia, and Wade LeBlanc who has been as effective as Hughes but in fewer innings. However, Jon Garland has been better than the two remaining Yankee starters (Burnett and Vazquez.)

The Cardinals absolutely destroy the Yankees (and basically everyone) with Garcia and Wainwright who have been pitching like absolute monsters. Garcia and Wainwright have both been WAY better than Pettitte, who has been better than Carpenter, who has been about as good as Sabathia. Penny has been as effective as Hughes, but in way fewer innings.

The Rays are kind of like light Cardinals, with Price and Niemann who are definitely better than Pettitte. Their next best starter would be Garza who is a tad worse than Hughes.

The Giants don't have anyone who's been as good as Pettitte, but Cain has been as good as Sabathia, Lincecum slightly better, and Sanchez slightly worse. Zito has been better than Hughes.

Going forward, I would personally take the White Sox rotation (although without Peavy it's a bit more questionable.) Pettitte won't keep his performance up, although Vazquez, Burnett, and Hughes could improve a bit. However, after a bad start to the season, the White Sox have been pretty awesome pitching like they should be.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2010 1:56:26 PM
At 7/11/2010 8:34:44 AM, LeafRod wrote:
Without Cliff Lee? I don't agree.

If we only look at this year, their only three good pitchers have been Hughes, Sabathia, and Pettitte. Hughes has been quite good, Sabathia very good, and Pettitte excellent.

The Padres

Simply don't agree that they've been better :p

The Cardinals absolutely destroy the Yankees

Hmm. Probs, yeah.

The Rays

Not better than Yanks imo. Price and Niemann not better than Pettite AND Sabathia.

The Giants

Nah :p

Pettitte won't keep his performance up, although Vazquez, Burnett, and Hughes could improve a bit. However, after a bad start to the season, the White Sox have been pretty awesome pitching like they should be.

Andy just might. He fluctuates. I expect Burnett to improve and Hughes to settle down a lil bit. I haven't been following the Sox a whole lot though I think they're my preferred Chicago team. However Soriano is on the Cubs and I loveee him :) From when he was the Yankee 2B.
President of DDO
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2010 9:39:08 PM
Pettitte is 38. His being left-handed and generally a smart pitcher will help him pitch well at that age, but not 150 ERA+ well.

Sabathia: 131 IP, 131 ERA+ (3.09 ERA)
Pettitte: 113 IP, 150 ERA+ (2.70 ERA)
Burnett: 108 IP, 86 ERA+ (4.75 ERA)
Hughes: 101 IP, 111 ERA+ (3.65 ERA)

I cut out Vazquez because he has a slightly better ERA than Burnett but fewer innings, and comparing top fours is generally better anyway.

Cain: 121 IP, 128 ERA+
Lincecum: 116 IP, 136 ERA+
Zito: 115 IP, 114 ERA+
Sanchez: 124 ERA+, 124 ERA+

So Sabathia has been a tad better than Cain. Pettitte has been the best of any of these guys. However, all four Giants starters are better than Hughes, and WAY better than Burnett. It's quite close.

Latos: 106 IP, 148 ERA+
Garland: 108 IP, 102 ERA+
Richard: 113 IP, 109 ERA+
LeBlanc: 92 IP, 110 ERA+

Pettitte and Latos are pretty much a wash, with Pettitte minimally better. Richard and LeBlanc are similar to Hughes, though Sabathia is better than both. Garland is better than Burnett. This one is a bit close though I may give it to the Yankees. I'm surprised at the Padres' low IP totals, actually. It's probably a function of their bullpen being great, and all of their starters being somewhat of flukes besides Latos who is pretty new and young.

Price: 115 IP, 177 ERA+
Niemann: 117 IP, 154 ERA+
Garza: 113 IP, 106 ERA+
Shields: 116 IP, 88 ERA+

This one is a bit more fun because Shields and Burnett are having extremely similar seasons, and so are Vazquez and Wade Davis. Garza and Hughes are pretty similar too. But anyway, Price and Niemann DESTROY Sabathia and Pettitte. Seriously. Niemann is slightly more effective than Pettitte, and Price is way better. Sabathia has almost 20 IP on Price, but that doesn't make up for a whopping 46 points of ERA+. Price has been one of the best pitchers in the AL this season. In terms of a top two, the Rays win easily.
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 9:40:22 AM
Had Cliff Lee signed with New York, to be paired with C. C. Sabathia as the aces for the World Champion Yankees...

...during the same week as Lebron's departure...

...I think the city of Cleveland would have experienced a miles-wide, conniption-induced coma.