R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 4:14:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
http://espn.go.com...
"
The Indianapolis Colts proposed a scenario that gives teams that successfully convert a 2-point conversion the chance to immediately add another point with a "bonus field goal.'

Under the Colts' proposal, if a team converts a 2-point conversion it would then line up from the 32-yard line to attempt a 50-yard field goal. If the kick is good, the team would receive a total of nine points on that possession -- six for the touchdown, two for the 2-point try and a point for the extra field goal.
"

Complete list of rule change proposals:
RULE PROPOSALS
1. Allow a coach to challenge any officials' decision except scoring plays and turnovers.
2. Subject all fouls to review
3. Subject personal foul penalties to Instant Replay review pursuant to a coach's challenge
4. Subject personal foul penalties to instant replay review.
5. Subject to instant replay review any penalty that results in an automatic first down.
6. A foul against a defenseless receiver may be enforced when a reversal results in an incomplete pass.
7. Reviewable plays will include fouls against defenseless players, and an unsuccessful challenge will not cost a team a timeout.
8. Eliminate the requirement that a team be successful on each of its first two Instant Reply challenges in order to be awarded a third challenge.
9. Expand plays for which reviews will be initiated by the Replay Official to include those that would result in a score or change of possession if the on-field ruling is reversed.
10. Add review of game clock on the final play of a half or overtime to Instant Replay system.
11. Add review of play clock to the Instant Replay system.
12. Put fixed cameras on all boundary lines.
13. Stadium-produced video may be used for an Instant Replay review.
14. Move the line of scrimmage for Try Kicks to the defensive team's 15-yard line.
15. Add a bonus field goal for one additional point after a successful two-point attempt.
16. Prohibit Team B players from pushing teammates on the line of scrimmage into the offensive formation when Team A presents a punt formation.
17. Both teams will have a possession in overtime.
18. Extend the prohibition for an illegal "peel back" block to all offensive players.
19. Give the intended receiver of a pass defenseless player protection in the immediate continuing action following an interception.
20. Allow for the enforcement of an Unsportsmanlike Conduct foul at the end of a half to be applied to the ensuing kickoff.
21. Make it illegal for a back to chop a defensive player engaged above the waist by another offensive player outside the area originally occupied by the tight end.
22. Permit clubs to assign additional jersey numbers to linebackers. Adds 40-49 as eligible numbers for linebackers, in addition to 50-59 and 90-99.
23. Makes it illegal for an offensive player with an eligible number to report as ineligible and line up outside the core of the formation.
BYLAW PROPOSALS
1. Eliminate the cutdown to 75 players on the Active List.
2. Prohibit timing and on-field testing at a club's facility of any players who attended the League-wide Combine.
3. Permit clubs to designate after 4 p.m. ET, on the day after the final roster reduction, the one player eligible to return to their Active List from Reserve/Injured.
4. Change the date for the beginning of the window during which players on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform may begin practice.
RESOLUTION
1. Allow teams with retractable roofs to open them during halftime shows.

#13 really caught my eye - "stadium-produced video" can be used as official? So does that mean the twelfth man is now the twelfth camera? And I have a hard time believing the visiting team is going to benefit at all from this extra POV...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 3:50:06 PM
At 3/19/2015 12:45:18 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
I like ... 13 ...

What if it gives more advantage to the home team?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 7:11:36 PM
At 3/19/2015 3:50:06 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
I like ... 13 ...

What if it gives more advantage to the home team

I don't see how this could happen unles they withheld video from the away team, which is easily addressed.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 12:01:17 AM
At 3/19/2015 7:11:36 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
I like ... 13 ...

I don't see how this could happen unles they withheld video from the away team, which is easily addressed.

Either two scenarios can occur:
1) Only official footage is used, in which case there is no question of bias.
2) Unofficial footage is accepted. (Isn't this what it means?). In this case, do you REALLY think that some back-breaking evidence is going to be contributed from the home team's stadium?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 1:19:23 AM
At 3/20/2015 12:01:17 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
I like ... 13 ...

2) Unofficial footage is accepted. (Isn't this what it means?). In this case, do you REALLY think that some back-breaking evidence is going to be contributed from the home team's stadium?

Do you really think they can't? That they really can show it to everyone on TV and then not give it to the officials? The problem is when there are angles that everyone can see on TV and in the stadium, but officials are not able to look at. They can't really air it live with the color commentators raving about it, then hide it from the NFL.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 1:32:39 AM
At 3/20/2015 1:19:23 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
I like ... 13 ...

Do you really think they can't? That they really can show it to everyone on TV and then not give it to the officials? The problem is when there are angles that everyone can see on TV and in the stadium, but officials are not able to look at. They can't really air it live with the color commentators raving about it, then hide it from the NFL.

Well that's the rub - are we talking cameras that audiences are seeing immediately or are we talking about footage that is brought in at the home stadium's discretion? The way it sounds to me, somebody can volunteer the footage if they think it will have an impact, but if we all aren't seeing it simultaneously for the first time, then that means somebody has the ability to keep their mouth shut about it.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 1:43:53 AM
At 3/20/2015 1:32:39 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 3/20/2015 1:19:23 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
I like ... 13 ...

Well that's the rub - are we talking cameras that audiences are seeing immediately or are we talking about footage that is brought in at the home stadium's discretion? The way it sounds to me, somebody can volunteer the footage if they think it will have an impact, but if we all aren't seeing it simultaneously for the first time, then that means somebody has the ability to keep their mouth shut about it.

They're not talking about a fan with a camera phone. The stadium has their own cameras so that they can get more angles on the big screen and the local broadcasts. That all goes into a digital pool that the officials can tap into for more views and angles. I doubt it is gonna be "hey, we can't see if his back foot landed in bounds or not, do you [home stadium] have any better views?" "Let's us check over them first... Nope, we don't have a corner camera that clearly shows they scored a TD."
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 11:47:29 AM
More cool ideas (Kevin Seifert, ESPN):

"
3. The trident goalpost

Comment: Why mention this idea? Pretty much for the mythological and medieval visions it generates, of course. You want to make the extra point more competitive? There you go. Nail the trident. How awesome would that be? And what's next? A two-point conversion for the quarterback who throws the ball through a tire?

4. Change the options after a touchdown

Jeffrey Jared via the mailbag: After a touchdown the coach has three options: Go for one (ball placed at the 20-yard line for a kick), go for two (ball placed at the 2-yard line for a play) or go for three (ball placed at the 35-yard line for a kick).

To make it more interesting, (1) narrow the goalpost and (2) should the team miss the field goal at the 35-yard line, the defense has the option to take over from where they attempted the kick without a kickoff or they must kick off from the 20-yard line. This would make end-of-game decision-making interesting for those coaches on whether they value the point or field position.

Comment: Another high grade for creativity and, in this case, nuance. In 2014, NFL placekickers converted 93.6 percent of field goal attempts under 40 yards. The 38-yard extra point is still a pretty sure bet. That discrepancy might be enough to elicit a handful more two-point conversion attempts, however, and the 53-yard three-pointer could come in handy in late-game situations.

On the other hand, of course, how annoyed would you be if your team were up by nine points with 10 seconds remaining and ended up going to overtime?
"
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 11:49:07 AM
one more:

"
6. Eliminate half-the-distance penalty walkoffs in some cases

From Dean of Portland to the mailbag: When a team is backed up to their own 1-yard line (or 2, 3 or 4) and they commit an offensive penalty such as a false start, the half-the-distance punishment is really no punishment at all. Couldn't they move the first-down marker 5 yards further down field? That would make it first-and-15 just like it would anywhere else on the field.

Comment: Interesting. This shift might be inorganic. After all, when else do officials move the line-to-gain forward rather than moving the line of scrimmage backwards? But there's no doubt it would be a way to fully punish a team for breaking a rule in that part of the field.
"
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 1:35:40 AM
At 3/23/2015 11:49:07 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
one more:

"

From Dean of Portland to the mailbag: When a team is backed up to their own 1-yard line (or 2, 3 or 4) and they commit an offensive penalty such as a false start, the half-the-distance punishment is really no punishment at all. Couldn't they move the first-down marker 5 yards further down field? That would make it first-and-15 just like it would anywhere else on the field.

Comment: Interesting. This shift might be inorganic. After all, when else do officials move the line-to-gain forward rather than moving the line of scrimmage backwards? But there's no doubt it would be a way to fully punish a team for breaking a rule in that part of the field.
"

I actually like this one, but they would need to do something for defenses when if is first and goal on the 2 as well.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 11:18:52 AM
At 3/24/2015 12:16:08 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I think they should just get rid of the PAT and make all teams go for 2.

I think the PAT is too ingrained into the classic culture of the game. Kickers roles' should be expanded to make them viable players, I don't think they should be pushed back into further obsolescence. Making the PAT more challenging is a great idea. Hey, these guys are usually captains of the ST units...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 11:20:52 AM
At 3/24/2015 1:35:40 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 3/23/2015 11:49:07 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
one more:

"

"

I actually like this one, but they would need to do something for defenses when if is first and goal on the 2 as well.

You've got a little room to work with the LOS but if they make two penalties in a row it would have to be a first down... I am assuming we don't want a neutral zone infraction carrying that much weight.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 11:26:13 AM
At 3/24/2015 11:18:52 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

I think the PAT is too ingrained into the classic culture of the game. Kickers roles' should be expanded to make them viable players, I don't think they should be pushed back into further obsolescence. Making the PAT more challenging is a great idea. Hey, these guys are usually captains of the ST units...

The kickers are extremely valuable but not because of PATs but because of Field Goals and kickoffs (a good touchback kicker is super underrated).
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 1:02:29 PM
At 3/24/2015 11:26:13 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

The kickers are extremely valuable but not because of PATs but because of Field Goals and kickoffs (a good touchback kicker is super underrated).

Other than Sebastian Janikowski, can you name another kicker that has been drafted in early rounds, ever? By making the PAT more competitive, it not only makes the game more fun for fans (I usually am grabbing a beer during the PAT, not watching) but makes the kickers more valuable. Kickers are far and away the least important person on the team, with perhaps an odd exception or two like long-snapper or something lol. If we can get that conversion rate down below 90%, fans will have to pay attention and kickers will have to be more accountable (and they will rise in value in future drafts).
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 8:54:06 PM
At 3/24/2015 1:02:29 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Other than Sebastian Janikowski, can you name another kicker that has been drafted in early rounds, ever? By making the PAT more competitive, it not only makes the game more fun for fans (I usually am grabbing a beer during the PAT, not watching) but makes the kickers more valuable. Kickers are far and away the least important person on the team, with perhaps an odd exception or two like long-snapper or something lol. If we can get that conversion rate down below 90%, fans will have to pay attention and kickers will have to be more accountable (and they will rise in value in future drafts).

One thing I don't like about this is that it kills the fake PAT. Since you are going from a different point, you can't realistically do a fake for 2. Maybe make it, you have 3 options after the TD...

kick from the 15 for 1.
run a play from the 5 for 2.
run a play from the 15 for 3.

That way, you still have the fake option for a potential of 3.
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 11:40:04 AM
At 3/26/2015 8:54:06 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

One thing I don't like about this is that it kills the fake PAT. Since you are going from a different point, you can't realistically do a fake for 2. Maybe make it, you have 3 options after the TD...

kick from the 15 for 1.

That's an interesting idea. The only thing I don't like about it is that you have the potential to score 9 points on a TD, which makes it easier to catch up to another team who has outplayed you. I mean, under the current rules, if you go three and out 3 times in a row, and your opponent kicks 3 field goals, it's a two possession game. Under your proposed rule, you could still tie the game with one possession. I don't like the idea of allowing the inferior team to catch up with say, two fluke plays (one to score, one to get the 3 pt conversion) that quickly.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2015 11:10:04 PM
At 3/27/2015 11:40:04 AM, ford_prefect wrote:
At 3/26/2015 8:54:06 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

kick from the 15 for 1.

That's an interesting idea. The only thing I don't like about it is that you have the potential to score 9 points on a TD, which makes it easier to catch up to another team who has outplayed you. I mean, under the current rules, if you go three and out 3 times in a row, and your opponent kicks 3 field goals, it's a two possession game. Under your proposed rule, you could still tie the game with one possession. I don't like the idea of allowing the inferior team to catch up with say, two fluke plays (one to score, one to get the 3 pt conversion) that quickly.

Agreed, flukes are not good.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 10:55:09 AM
I'll quit watching. Good luck NFL. It was nice knowing ya! Quit raping football. That is all.
Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 9:53:46 PM
At 3/18/2015 4:14:13 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
"
The Indianapolis Colts proposed a scenario that gives teams that successfully convert a 2-point conversion the chance to immediately add another point with a "bonus field goal.'

Under the Colts' proposal, if a team converts a 2-point conversion it would then line up from the 32-yard line to attempt a 50-yard field goal. If the kick is good, the team would receive a total of nine points on that possession -- six for the touchdown, two for the 2-point try and a point for the extra field goal.
"

RULE PROPOSALS
1. Allow a coach to challenge any officials' decision except scoring plays and turnovers.
3. Subject personal foul penalties to Instant Replay review pursuant to a coach's challenge
5. Subject to instant replay review any penalty that results in an automatic first down.
6. A foul against a defenseless receiver may be enforced when a reversal results in an incomplete pass.
7. Reviewable plays will include fouls against defenseless players, and an unsuccessful challenge will not cost a team a timeout.
8. Eliminate the requirement that a team be successful on each of its first two Instant Reply challenges in order to be awarded a third challenge.
9. Expand plays for which reviews will be initiated by the Replay Official to include those that would result in a score or change of possession if the on-field ruling is reversed.
10. Add review of game clock on the final play of a half or overtime to Instant Replay system.
14. Move the line of scrimmage for Try Kicks to the defensive team's 15-yard line.
15. Add a bonus field goal for one additional point after a successful two-point attempt.
16. Prohibit Team B players from pushing teammates on the line of scrimmage into the offensive formation when Team A presents a punt formation.
18. Extend the prohibition for an illegal "peel back" block to all offensive players.
19. Give the intended receiver of a pass defenseless player protection in the immediate continuing action following an interception.
20. Allow for the enforcement of an Unsportsmanlike Conduct foul at the end of a half to be applied to the ensuing kickoff.
21. Make it illegal for a back to chop a defensive player engaged above the waist by another offensive player outside the area originally occupied by the tight end.
22. Permit clubs to assign additional jersey numbers to linebackers. Adds 40-49 as eligible numbers for linebackers, in addition to 50-59 and 90-99.
23. Makes it illegal for an offensive player with an eligible number to report as ineligible and line up outside the core of the formation.
BYLAW PROPOSALS
2. Prohibit timing and on-field testing at a club's facility of any players who attended the League-wide Combine.
3. Permit clubs to designate after 4 p.m. ET, on the day after the final roster reduction, the one player eligible to return to their Active List from Reserve/Injured.
4. Change the date for the beginning of the window during which players on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform may begin practice.
RESOLUTION

#13 really caught my eye - "stadium-produced video" can be used as official? So does that mean the twelfth man is now the twelfth camera? And I have a hard time believing the visiting team is going to benefit at all from this extra POV...

Nah, I dont like it. the point swing would be 11 pts. if a team scored a TD and then did the 2 pt. convo and then the FG. and I think 11 for one breif series in like one minute of time on the clock is too big--it could do away too quick with a close game.
I DO like the idea of no more PAT's though. hell, they're automatic now! make the teams just go for 2 after a TD and lets leave it at that.
God Bless. and Go Raiders! we're gonna win the AFC West this year you know!
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 11:09:16 PM
At 3/18/2015 4:14:13 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
"

"

RULE PROPOSALS
BYLAW PROPOSALS
RESOLUTION

I've never understood the sudden death over-time in the NFL... it just seems ridiculous.

In the CFL (yes Canadian football) they moved the the single point convert out to the 30 yard line in order to incentivize some 2 point converts and not make it a gimme. There have been a surprising number of converts missed...
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 11:36:25 PM
The best way to make 2 point conversions more common isn't to make extra points harder, it is to make 2 point conversions easier. The league should have moved the try up to the one-yard line. This won't make a difference for extra points, but it makes 2-pointers much easier.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 11:50:23 PM
At 8/13/2015 11:36:25 PM, TN05 wrote:
The best way to make 2 point conversions more common isn't to make extra points harder, it is to make 2 point conversions easier. The league should have moved the try up to the one-yard line. This won't make a difference for extra points, but it makes 2-pointers much easier.

Nahh. Then we'd get QB sneaks almost always and that's boring.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 11:52:20 PM
I like 12, 13, 17, and 23.

Yeah and 17 is already in the rules for Playoff games, right? I hate sudden death. too much emphasis on FG's. all that work for 60 minute game and some 160 lb. former soccer player comes in with his clean uniform and wins the game. College has always had a waay better OT system!
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2015 12:50:23 AM
At 8/13/2015 11:50:23 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/13/2015 11:36:25 PM, TN05 wrote:

Nahh. Then we'd get QB sneaks almost always and that's boring.

Not necessarily. We could see moronic slant passes.