Jump to topic:

Spurs Turning it on for the Playoffs

ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2015 8:19:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This last month or so I have regained a lot of confidence in my team. We struggled with injuries, rust, and sometimes flat out poor play in the first half of the season, but recently the Spurs are on an absolute tear. Kawhi Leonard is destroying teams on both sides of the court, and the shooters (except for Mills) are rounding into last year's form. Boris Diaw looks motivated and is playing aggressively, Parker has regained his quick first step, and everyone seems to be meshing at exactly the right time.

It may be too late to catch the teams ahead of us in the standings, as even though we are only two games back in the loss column from the 2 seed, the other teams schedules are pretty easy so even if we win out, we might start the Playoffs on the road. But that's ok, because the way this team is playing right now, I don't see anyone in the league beating us in a 7 game series.

Go Spurs Go! The chase for Seis is suddenly looking good!
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 12:13:17 AM
Pop isn't afraid to play every series on the road. His players being healthy is all that matters to him.

There's also no team the Spurs are afraid to play except the Warriors. Right now its looking like they'll face the Grizzlies, who they swept last year. And both teams are basically the same. Timmy/Splitter is a good counter to Z-Bo/Gasol.

They might be somewhat afraid of the Thunder if Ibaka comes back at full strength, even without Durant, but hopefully the Warriors will knock them off in R1, or the Pelicans (most intimidating team name in the NBA) overtake them in the standings.
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 12:30:50 AM
At 4/6/2015 12:13:17 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
Pop isn't afraid to play every series on the road. His players being healthy is all that matters to him.
Agreed. Spurs fans always fret about seeding all season long, but at the end of the day we know Pop cares about health and that's it.
There's also no team the Spurs are afraid to play except the Warriors. Right now its looking like they'll face the Grizzlies, who they swept last year. And both teams are basically the same. Timmy/Splitter is a good counter to Z-Bo/Gasol.
I'd even go so far as to say that while the Warriors may be the last team in the league we want to see on the way to the finals, we aren't exactly scared of them. After all, the Spurs are the only team this season to win the series against them, and we completely blew them out today without Splitter.
They might be somewhat afraid of the Thunder if Ibaka comes back at full strength, even without Durant, but hopefully the Warriors will knock them off in R1, or the Pelicans (most intimidating team name in the NBA) overtake them in the standings.
I'd say if Durant and ibaka were playing, that's the team that absolutely frightens us most. But no Durant means OKC won't even sniff the second round. Not matched up against Golden State.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2015 12:40:59 AM
At 4/6/2015 12:13:17 AM, BlackVoid wrote:

Mhm, this is perfectly exemplified by Pop sitting his best players in widely broadcasted and hyped games, on occassion season after season

I don't really think the Spurs are necessarily "afraid" to play anyone. I think they realize Golden State likely has the best chance to beat them out of any team in the Western Conference right now, but given that the Spurs have really regained their form, even the Warriors dont look like a gargantuan obstacle anymore

I disagree. Last year didn't Ibaka come back partway thru the Western Conference Championships? And the spurs still steamrolled the Thunder.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2015 12:52:44 AM
At 4/5/2015 8:19:41 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
This last month or so I have regained a lot of confidence in my team. We struggled with injuries, rust, and sometimes flat out poor play in the first half of the season, but recently the Spurs are on an absolute tear. Kawhi Leonard is destroying teams on both sides of the court, and the shooters (except for Mills) are rounding into last year's form. Boris Diaw looks motivated and is playing aggressively, Parker has regained his quick first step, and everyone seems to be meshing at exactly the right time.

It may be too late to catch the teams ahead of us in the standings, as even though we are only two games back in the loss column from the 2 seed, the other teams schedules are pretty easy so even if we win out, we might start the Playoffs on the road. But that's ok, because the way this team is playing right now, I don't see anyone in the league beating us in a 7 game series.

One word: Cavs
Ashton
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2015 4:02:37 AM
At 4/11/2015 12:52:44 AM, birdlandmemories wrote:
At 4/5/2015 8:19:41 PM, ford_prefect wrote:

One word: Cavs

Eh, the Cavs needed 55 points from Irving and some really lucky end of game shots to beat the Spurs last time we played. And we still split the season series 1-1. If the two teams meet in the finals, Spurs will have home court. I would predict Spurs in 5 or 6