Jump to topic:

Your NBA playoff predictions

birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2015 8:23:11 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have the Cavs beating the Spurs in the finals, and the Bulls (if they are the 4 seed) facing the Cavs in the Eastern conference final. If the Bulls are the 3 seed I have the Cavs and Hawks as the Eastern conference final. The seeding in the West is so complicated, but I see the main challengers to the Spurs as the Warriors and the Rockets. The Grizzlies could challenge but there have been times this season they have looked really unimpressive (the 27 point blowout loss to the Cavs and the loss to the Wizards are some examples).

I also still think the Thunder will get 8 spot instead of the Pelicans, despite Westbrook getting that technical. I think the Thunder upset the Blazers and beat the Twolves, while the Pelicans beat the Twolves but lose to the Spurs (possibly in the same blowout fashion they did to the Grizzles),

This NBA season has been great for parity though. Anyone can win the West and the Hawks could challenge the Cavs in the East with home court advantage. What a great story they have been.
Ashton
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2015 10:36:51 PM
At 4/13/2015 8:23:11 AM, birdlandmemories wrote:
I have the Cavs beating the Spurs in the finals, and the Bulls (if they are the 4 seed) facing the Cavs in the Eastern conference final. If the Bulls are the 3 seed I have the Cavs and Hawks as the Eastern conference final. The seeding in the West is so complicated, but I see the main challengers to the Spurs as the Warriors and the Rockets. The Grizzlies could challenge but there have been times this season they have looked really unimpressive (the 27 point blowout loss to the Cavs and the loss to the Wizards are some examples).

I also still think the Thunder will get 8 spot instead of the Pelicans, despite Westbrook getting that technical. I think the Thunder upset the Blazers and beat the Twolves, while the Pelicans beat the Twolves but lose to the Spurs (possibly in the same blowout fashion they did to the Grizzles),

This NBA season has been great for parity though. Anyone can win the West and the Hawks could challenge the Cavs in the East with home court advantage. What a great story they have been.

Agree with most of this. Only thing I'd say differently is I have Spurs over Cavs in the finals, cause I think love and Irving will be exposed on defense. They need another year or two to gel and get used to the pressure in my opinion before they will have what it takes to win it all. Also I hope NO will get the 8 spot out west, they'd be a more interesting matchup for golden state. But I think you're right, it will most likely be OKC. I wish the Spurs had enough room to tank that last game against NO, but we need every win to clinch the 2 seed :(

In order of who is most likely to win the west: Spurs, Warriors, big gap, Clippers, Rockets Grizzlies, everyone else.

Also I would say Hawks Cavs finals even if the Bulls get the 4 seed. I don't see Chicago beating Atlanta unless DRose goes back to being insanely good.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 12:18:24 AM
ATL - BKN
CLE - BOS
CHI - MIL
TOR - WAS

GS - NO
HOU - DAL
LAC - SAS
POR - MEM

I think people agree on most matchups except for Mavs-Rockets and Raptors-Wizards.

The Spurs may have lost home court, but they should be glad they don't have to face the Mavs. They havent been as dominant in the regular season as their roster suggests, but this is a team built for the playoffs. They have a lot of vets that will turn it on once postseason play starts. We're gonna see their full potential against Houston.

The Clippers obviously got the worst out of tonight's games as they have to face the Spurs in R1. The Clips are good, but really arent any better than any of the other Western Conference teams minus the Warriors. The Spurs pretty much dismantled them last time they faced in the playoffs, and both teams are pretty much the same.

Atlanta got lucky with Indy's loss because nobody wanted to play that team in R1, especially with a healthy Paul George (even though he got hurt again).

Eastern Conference for the most part is pretty boring. Lots of snoozer matchups. But all the Western Conference games look great.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 12:24:13 AM
Only way Cavs beat Spurs in the Finals is if the Spurs play a 7-game series in the WCF and Parker/Timmy are exhausted.

I guess its true that the Cavs got Perk, and he's historically countered Duncan pretty well, but the guy does literally nothing other than give elite post defense. When he's on the floor, Mozgov probably isn't, and Mozgov is 10x the rim protector and shot blocker than Perk is. So Timmy may be shut down, but everyone else is opened up.

I think the Spurs have only a slight talent edge over the Cavs, but the biggest key factor is experience. LeBron's the only player on the team that has a lot of playoff time, whereas everyone on the Spurs has been in multiple NBA Finals.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 12:29:32 AM
Dark Horse finals candidate is the Mavs. Seriously, don't underestimate that team.

Their starting 5:

Rajon Rondo
Monta Ellis
Chandler Parsons
Dirk
Tyson Chandler

That is ridiculous. They also have the 8th best Bench despite Stoudemire only being there for less than half the year.

Their only issue has been Rondo's antics, which cause chemistry problems. But I think playoffs are a time when everyone comes together, especially for a vet team like this one.
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 2:34:15 AM
My playoff predictions:

Atlanta over Brooklyn in 5
Washington over Toronto in 7
Chicago over Milwaukee in 4
Cleveland over Boston in 5

Western Conference:

Golden State over New Orleans in 5
Memphis over Portland in 7
San Antonio over La Clippers in 6
Houston over Dallas in 7

2nd Round:

Atlanta over Washington in 7 (I think this could be a closer series than people expect)
Cleveland over Chicago in 6

Western Conference:

Golden State over Memphis in 5
San Antonio over Houston in 7 (this is a series I would really love to see)

Conference Finals:

Cleveland over Atlanta in 6
San Antonio over Golden State in 7

NBA Finals:

Cleveland over Spurs in 7 (Of course with Lebron as MVP. If the Spurs win I'd expect Kawhi Leonard to win MVP again)
Ashton
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 6:10:43 PM
West:
GSW over NOP in 4
DAL over HOU in 6
SAS over LAC in 6
MEM over POR in 7 (depends on Gasols status)

Semis
GSW over MEM in 5
SAS over DAL in 5

Finals
SAS over GSW in 7

I know way less about the east so these may be wildly incorrect:

ATL over BKN in 4
CLE over BOS in 4
CHI over MIL in 6
WAS over TOR in 7

Semis:
ATL over WAS in 6
CLE over CHI in 5

Finals:
CLE over ATL in 6

NBA finals:
SAS over CLE in 6
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2015 12:30:10 AM
At 4/17/2015 6:10:43 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
West:
GSW over NOP in 4
DAL over HOU in 6
SAS over LAC in 6

Semis
GSW over MEM in 5
SAS over DAL in 5

Finals
SAS over GSW in 7

ATL over BKN in 4
CLE over BOS in 4
CHI over MIL in 6
WAS over TOR in 7

Semis:
ATL over WAS in 6
CLE over CHI in 5

Finals:
CLE over ATL in 6

NBA finals:
SAS over CLE in 6

Mine looks similar (for the west, I don't care about the east), but with Portland winning R1 and losing in R2. Though it is hard, both Portland and Mephis are injury riddled.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 12:09:16 PM
At 4/20/2015 7:17:34 AM, birdlandmemories wrote:
Well the Clippers looked very impressive yesterday.

Spurs shot terribly from open threes. We were getting good shots but couldn't knock them down. If that persists, we are obviously doomed. But I hope last night was just a fluke. We also missed tons of free throws, shooting well below our season average from the line.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 12:29:54 PM
I didnt get to watch the game, but I heard analysts saying that the Spurs looked beat up, especially Tony Parker.

It makes some sense. Unlike previous seasons where they could rest people at the end, the Spurs were having to give 100% night in and night out all the way to the end of the regular season. So Tony/Manu/Duncan havent gotten the rest they're used to. Doesnt help that with the loaded West, they wont be blowing anybody out in order to rest at the end of games either.

Honestly they should still be fine this series though. Its just one game. I wouldnt say they're in actual trouble unless they fail to split the first two.
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2015 3:21:45 PM
At 4/20/2015 12:29:54 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
I didnt get to watch the game, but I heard analysts saying that the Spurs looked beat up, especially Tony Parker.

It makes some sense. Unlike previous seasons where they could rest people at the end, the Spurs were having to give 100% night in and night out all the way to the end of the regular season. So Tony/Manu/Duncan havent gotten the rest they're used to. Doesnt help that with the loaded West, they wont be blowing anybody out in order to rest at the end of games either.

Honestly they should still be fine this series though. Its just one game. I wouldnt say they're in actual trouble unless they fail to split the first two.

I'm really worried about tonight's game. I think whoever wins will win the series, but Parker is listed as questionable and even if he plays, he can't be expected to do more than manage the game, considering his injuries. Patty Mills played really well in game 2 but he can't keep that up for more than spot minutes. He is most effective in short bursts, because Chris Paul can't keep up with his fresh legs.

Tim Duncan had a ridiculous throwback performance, and I worry that he won't be able to keep that up against DJ, since he pretty much realizes he allowed an almost-39-year-old to embarrass him on his home floor. I predict Jordan will play much better on the defensive end from now on.

But, I am still feeling good about our chances because Danny Green will probably go off at home. His shooting is way more accurate at home for whatever reason, and I am cautiously optimistic that Splitter can keep ramping up his minutes. Having Splitter available to guard Griffin is HUGE for us. Nobody else on our roster can really do it effectively, Kawhi is too small, Duncan and Boris are too slow, and Bonner is, well, Bonner. So if Splitter can gut it out, and we get some good shooting from Green/Belinelli/Mills, I don't think Duncan has to be in god mode for us to come away with the W.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2015 5:47:08 PM
At 4/24/2015 3:21:45 PM, ford_prefect wrote:

Duncan probably wont be in god mode for a good while. He played 44 minutes in game 2. And for whatever stupid reason, they only had one day off despite having to fly from LA to San Antonio. Dude must be exhausted. They really need to win this series in 5 now in order to maximize rest.

They're gonna have to play some killer D tonight because I dont see them getting a high output of offensive production, since Parker and Duncan with both be limited.

I dont know about that Jordan thing. You seem to be implying that Timmy embarrassing him will give him extra motivation to play harder. Problem is, if you need extra motivation in order to play hard, in the playoffs, against the defending champs, thats a pretty big problem. I think the Clips are plenty motivated though. Duncan just had an unusually great game.

But yeah, Green has to be lights out tonight. Kawhi will have to lead the offense. He may have to score 30 tonight if Duncan is passive. The bench will also have to play well, but its the Spurs bench and they're at home, so they should be able to do that. We'll see what happens. I'm expecting a close game. I just really wish they had gotten 2 days rest.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 2:48:33 PM
Well, looks like there was one factor I forgot about when predicting that it would be a close game:

They're the freaking Spurs.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2015 11:03:00 PM
At 4/18/2015 12:30:10 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
West:
GSW over NOP in 4
DAL over HOU in 6
SAS over LAC in 6

Semis
GSW over MEM in 5
SAS over DAL in 5

Finals
SAS over GSW in 7

ATL over BKN in 4
CLE over BOS in 4
CHI over MIL in 6
WAS over TOR in 7

Semis:
ATL over WAS in 6
CLE over CHI in 5

Finals:
CLE over ATL in 6

NBA finals:
SAS over CLE in 6

Mine looks similar (for the west, I don't care about the east), but with Portland winning R1 and losing in R2. Though it is hard, both Portland and Mephis are injury riddled.

Nailed that Portland series! Lol
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 11:35:29 PM
At 4/26/2015 11:03:00 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 4/18/2015 12:30:10 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
West:
GSW over NOP in 4
DAL over HOU in 6
SAS over LAC in 6

Semis
GSW over MEM in 5
SAS over DAL in 5

Finals
SAS over GSW in 7

ATL over BKN in 4
CLE over BOS in 4
CHI over MIL in 6
WAS over TOR in 7

Semis:
ATL over WAS in 6
CLE over CHI in 5

Finals:
CLE over ATL in 6

NBA finals:
SAS over CLE in 6

Nailed that Portland series! Lol

I feel like most of my first round predictions were pretty close, the exception being the Dallas-Houston series that I completely whiffed on, lol
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 9:52:30 PM
Wow, the Spurs Clippers series is easily the best series of the postseason. Game 7 will go down as one of the best games in NBA history. I'm happy for Chris Paul. The way he fought through that injury to hit clutch shot after shot showed incredible strength and determination.

Also I think the Rockets Clippers goes 7 games with the Rockets winning. If the Western Conference finals is Rockets Warriors, that will be epic. Curry vs Harden would be must see tv.
Ashton
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 10:07:02 PM
Man, thats depressing. Spurs played a great game offensively. Parker got over his injury and tore it up. Duncan was Duncan. Gree turned it around. Manu had 7 assists. Kawhi was lackluster, but other than that, they were great.

But you just can't give up 111 points on 53% shooting in a game 7. And 14 threes for 52% from the arc is unacceptable. I'd like to blame the poor playcall at the end, but the defense was the real problem.

I guess its possible though that the Clippers just played really well. As dominant as the Spurs were closing out the season, the Clips played their last several regular season games just as well. Clips could just be that good.

Hopefully this isnt the last year for Duncan. Manu can go if he wants, I dont think he's that important to the team anymore. But Duncan is still really good and I think he's got another year left. If he does leave, well, it was a great run.
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2015 12:03:57 AM
At 5/2/2015 10:07:02 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Man, thats depressing. Spurs played a great game offensively. Parker got over his injury and tore it up. Duncan was Duncan. Gree turned it around. Manu had 7 assists. Kawhi was lackluster, but other than that, they were great.

But you just can't give up 111 points on 53% shooting in a game 7. And 14 threes for 52% from the arc is unacceptable. I'd like to blame the poor playcall at the end, but the defense was the real problem.

I guess its possible though that the Clippers just played really well. As dominant as the Spurs were closing out the season, the Clips played their last several regular season games just as well. Clips could just be that good.

Hopefully this isnt the last year for Duncan. Manu can go if he wants, I dont think he's that important to the team anymore. But Duncan is still really good and I think he's got another year left. If he does leave, well, it was a great run.

Pretty much agree with all of this. Manu is a legend for what he has done for the Spurs, and one day he will be in the Hall of Fame when you factor in his accomplishments with the Argentinian national team, but right now he is out of gas and there's no shame in that. I do think he will retire this offseason. Tim on the other hand, shows no sign of wearing down, which is ridiculous. I really hope game 7 wasn't his last NBA game ever.

Credit to the Clippers for playing really well, these two teams are 2 of the best 4 in the NBA right now, but I think Danny Green's cold shooting in the first 6 games swung the series to the Clippers. If Green had been hitting his threes, this series would have been completely different. But we all know he is a streaky shooter, so that's what you get sometimes with him. Oh well, still proud of our guys for battling through injuries and a tough matchup. Let's get em next year!
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 11:00:55 AM
At 5/11/2015 9:58:57 AM, birdlandmemories wrote:
How did the Rockets get the 2 seed? They look horrible.

Combination of things:

1. Rockets starting PG and PF (both great defenders) are out for the season
2. Clippers are just really good
3. Rockets lack mental toughness
4. Having the 2 seed doesn't say much. There was a huge jumble in the West with 4 teams separated by only 1 games. So its not like the Rocket had that much better of a record than any other team.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 11:25:10 AM
At 4/13/2015 8:23:11 AM, birdlandmemories wrote:

I think its gonna be the Bulls and Warriors. It might be Memphis too.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 9:13:02 PM

This post sure looks silly 1 week later. Could Doc Rivers be fired?
Ashton
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 10:10:17 PM
At 5/17/2015 9:13:02 PM, birdlandmemories wrote:

Rockets will be crushed by the Warriors. I don't think they're actually that good, I think the Clippers just choked. RIvers will probably not be fired, but Steve Ballmer should probably hire an actual GM and let Doc stick to coaching.
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 11:35:54 PM
At 5/17/2015 10:10:17 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
At 5/17/2015 9:13:02 PM, birdlandmemories wrote:

Rockets will be crushed by the Warriors. I don't think they're actually that good, I think the Clippers just choked. RIvers will probably not be fired, but Steve Ballmer should probably hire an actual GM and let Doc stick to coaching.

Agreed. I think Warriors in 5 and the Cavs winning in 6. But I really don't care who moves on because either way we've got some fresh new teams in the finals.
Ashton