Jump to topic:

The Astros

wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2010 7:33:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
The Astros are selling their two best players, both long-time members of the club. They were also the last significant contributors to the Astros' 2005 World Series appearance.
http://houston.astros.mlb.com...
http://houston.astros.mlb.com...
Roy Osawlt, with a fantastic ERA, has a record of 6-12 because the Astros suck so badly. I believe this move to Philadephia will put him on a team he can get wins with. He's suffered his entire career of a lack of run support. He deserves a better team.
Lance Berkman is being sold to the Yankees, who will apparently use him as a designated hitter.

And that's the Astros. What has happened to the 2005 pennant-winning team?
C - Brad Ausmus - Now a back-up catcher for the Los Angeles Dodgers
1B - Jeff Bagwell - Now retired
2B - Craig Biggio - Now retired
3B - Morgan Ensberg - Career collapsed; Now retired
SS - Adam Everett - Career collapsed; Recently released by Tigers
LF - Lance Berkman - Traded to Yankees
CF - Willy Taveras - Career collapsed; Recently released by Phillies (fired from his minor league contract)
RF - Jason Lane - Now playing in the Atlantic League
P - Roger Clemens - Presumably retired
P - Andy Pettitte - Now a New York Yankee; Accused of steroid use
P - Roy Oswalt - Traded to Phillies
P - Brandon Backe - Free Agent
CP - Brad Lidge - Traded to Phillies
M - Phil Garner - Fired
GM - Tim Purpura - Fired
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2010 7:23:06 PM
maybe just cause my home team is a national league team, but i think designated hitters are bs :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2010 9:53:19 PM
At 7/31/2010 7:23:06 PM, belle wrote:
maybe just cause my home team is a national league team, but i think designated hitters are bs :P

Me too. Hiring someone just to hit doesn't make any sense. I'd prefer they cut the batting order to 8 people if they want to stop letting the pitcher hit
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2010 10:31:43 AM
At 7/31/2010 9:53:19 PM, wjmelements wrote:

Me too. Hiring someone just to hit doesn't make any sense. I'd prefer they cut the batting order to 8 people if they want to stop letting the pitcher hit

The purpose of the DH is/was to increase the number of home runs hit at the games (we know pitchers typically aren't the best hitters). Home runs increase excitement and interest in attendance, thus sell seats. However statistics actually show that replacing the pitcher with the DH does not actually do much of increasing the overall average number of homers. Oh well... fail. Haha also I've read about mathematicians proving that when hitters don't hit (in the AL), they are 11-17 % more likely (or something like that) to hit batters with pitches. Why? Because they don't have to worry about stepping up to the plate where the pitcher on the other team is hoping to extract their revenge. Lol interesting statistic.
President of DDO
twsurber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 7:25:29 AM
Two edged sword isn't it? I hate to see both Lance and Roy go.

On one hand, they deserve the right to play for a winning team after they more than paid their dues. They were traded while they are still young enough to be productive, not in the twilight of their careers. The benefit to the 'Stros is that they are getting a decent pitcher in Happ, and some very young propects that can be developed to replace the guys who were traded.

The down side is the risk of whether or not they will develop into major leaguers and how long it will take.

So far, the strategy has worked really well for Cincinnati this season. Hopefully it will work for Houston as well. Go Astros!
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 7:10:34 PM
At 8/1/2010 10:31:43 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 7/31/2010 9:53:19 PM, wjmelements wrote:

The purpose of the DH is/was to increase the number of home runs hit at the games (we know pitchers typically aren't the best hitters). Home runs increase excitement and interest in attendance, thus sell seats.

Baseball used to be a game in which stealing home was just as common as home runs, except the latter were frowned upon.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 7:45:22 PM
The Astros are just going through a cycle. Teams tend to do that. We had a great team, but once some of the better players started to retire, we've been on a downhill slide. Things will pick up in the distant future, though.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 7:46:48 PM
At 8/2/2010 7:45:22 PM, mongeese wrote:
The Astros are just going through a cycle. Teams tend to do that. We had a great team, but once some of the better players started to retire, we've been on a downhill slide. Things will pick up in the distant future, though.

The same goes for the Royals, I'm sure. And the Pirates. It's only a matter of time.
SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 7:55:19 PM
The down side is the risk of whether or not they will develop into major leaguers and how long it will take.

That's a risk that they have forced themselves to take. They went from having one of the best farm systems in the league to the worst. By trading them, they are FINALLY taking the path toward success.

WJM: I enjoy the nostalgia, but lets look at the "all-star lineup" (note that I was and still am an Astros fan)

C - Brad Ausmus - only there because pitcher were comfortable with him; major batting hole (with exception of the 18-inning game against Atlanta; I was there :D)
1B - Jeff Bagwell - Great in the regular season; historically terrible in the postseason
2B - Craig Biggio - see Bagwell, though not as drastic
3B - Morgan Ensberg - had crazy career year and never to be seen again
SS - Adam Everett - kept only for his glove; batting black hole
LF - Lance Berkman - legit no lie
CF - Willy Taveras - attempt to replace Beltran; speed did not make up for lack of bat
RF - Jason Lane - see Ensberg
P - Roger Clemens - steroids or no, have to admit is one of the game's greatest pitchers and a great competitor
P - Andy Pettitte - catylast for clemens pick up; unfortunately injured more often than not (and he ADMITTED to steroid use, at least for injury recovery)
P - Roy Oswalt- really legit; even with this pitching staff, Roy was still the ace. In my opinion he is the 2nd best pitcher in Astros history, barely being beat out by J. R. Richard (Note this is a team that not only has had the aformentioned, but also Nolan Ryan, Randy Johnson, Larry Dierker, Joe Niekro, and Mike Scott to name a few)
P - Brandon Backe - sad story; never developed into what he could have been
CP - Brad Lidge - in-town criticism + Pujols= never being able to effectivly pitch in Houston
M - Phil Garner - In my opiion can't be blamed for what he had
GM - Tim Purpura - CAN be blamed for what garner had
SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 8:19:11 PM
Meanwhile, the Astros are showing all the signs of a team that has traded its stars away and is in "give up playoff hopes and start to rebuild" mode;

They have won their last 7 and are leading the 2nd place Cardinals in St. Louis in the top of the 9th 18-4.....wait, what?
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2010 3:09:33 PM
At 8/1/2010 10:31:43 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Home runs increase excitement and interest in attendance, thus sell seats.