Jump to topic:

Where is Koopin when you need him?!

BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 2:52:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The Wells report didnt tell us anything we didnt already know.

If anything, the report puts the Patriots in a better light than they would have been otherwise, since it exonerates Belichick, Kraft, and everyone else other than Brady and two low-level employees. Its obviously not some diabolical scheme that the entire organization has been carefully orchestrating for years. Its just two guys taking air out with the QB's permission.

It'll be interesting to see what Goodell does. I dont expect very heavy penalties, tbh. But we'll see.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 9:11:32 PM
At 5/7/2015 2:52:56 PM, BlackVoid wrote:

If anything, the report puts the Patriots in a better light than they would have been otherwise, since it exonerates Belichick, Kraft, and everyone else other than Brady and two low-level employees. Its obviously not some diabolical scheme that the entire organization has been carefully orchestrating for years. Its just two guys taking air out with the QB's permission.

It'll be interesting to see what Goodell does. I dont expect very heavy penalties, tbh. But we'll see.

The only thing that it did provide that we didn't actually know was Brady's involvement. The best case would have been if it was two low level employees that were big Brady fans that were trying to help him without his knowledge, or at least without him knowing they were going so far. For example, the NFL rules say the PSI has to be between 11.5 and 13.5. Brady could have easily said, "I like it as low as possible," without telling them to break the rules and they could have gone over the line on their own.

But the Wells report clearly shows that they were being paid off with swag for their "services." I think everyone knew that it wasn't an organization wide conspiracy.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 10:23:27 PM
At 5/8/2015 9:11:32 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

The only thing that it did provide that we didn't actually know was Brady's involvement. The best case would have been if it was two low level employees that were big Brady fans that were trying to help him without his knowledge, or at least without him knowing they were going so far. For example, the NFL rules say the PSI has to be between 11.5 and 13.5. Brady could have easily said, "I like it as low as possible," without telling them to break the rules and they could have gone over the line on their own.

But the Wells report clearly shows that they were being paid off with swag for their "services." I think everyone knew that it wasn't an organization wide conspiracy.

Nah. All it really means for it to be "organization-wide" is that Belichick and/or Kraft knew and perpetuated it. Given the Belichick's history with Spygate, most people naturally thought that if the Pats were guilty of cheating, he was probably involved. People (on the sports sites I've seen) also said that nothing goes on in that organization without Belichick's knowledge.

It looks like he had nothing to do with it after all, though. Either that, or they just didnt have any evidence to suggest he did.

I personally dont even care about this scandal that much. If Joe Montana came out and said "yeah, back when I played I used to let a little air out of the ball to get a better grip on it" nobody would care. If a different team did this, nobody would care either, at least not nearly as much. So its only a big deal because its the Pats.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 9:08:11 AM
At 5/8/2015 10:23:27 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 5/8/2015 9:11:32 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Nah. All it really means for it to be "organization-wide" is that Belichick and/or Kraft knew and perpetuated it. Given the Belichick's history with Spygate, most people naturally thought that if the Pats were guilty of cheating, he was probably involved. People (on the sports sites I've seen) also said that nothing goes on in that organization without Belichick's knowledge.

Maybe its just me and the people that I talk with. Sure, we originally thought that, but when QB after QB came out saying that things like that are never regulated by coaches and they are just between the QB and equipment personnel, I figured it wasn't an organization wide thing.

It looks like he had nothing to do with it after all, though. Either that, or they just didnt have any evidence to suggest he did.

I personally dont even care about this scandal that much. If Joe Montana came out and said "yeah, back when I played I used to let a little air out of the ball to get a better grip on it" nobody would care. If a different team did this, nobody would care either, at least not nearly as much. So its only a big deal because its the Pats.

I disagree. It entirely depends on the organization when it comes to cheating. Cheaters that fail, we mock. Cheaters that succeed, we rage over. When Atlanta was busted for piping in crowd noise, we laughed at them (but still punished them) because they cheated and still failed miserably. If Seattle got busted for piping in noise, there would be outrage (there would also be mockery of "the 12th man" but no one would suggest that they go unpunished). It isn't dependent upon the organization, but the success or failure of the cheating itself. The history of the Pats with cheating only makes us believe that the punishment should be higher (had it been the organization itself), since the last punishment was clearly not enough to dissuade them from cheating again.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"