Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Would WNBA basketball be more popular if...?

Mr_Eno_Otu
Posts: 118
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 8:05:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
...their players uniforms resembled the uniforms of professional women's tennis players? Women's tennis players Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova have a reported combined net worth of $220 million. Would WNBA basketball players be as popular you think in mass culture if their uniforms looked like these (some pics of Ms. Williams and Ms. Sharapova on court; remember these are shots of them in live professional tennis matches:)

http://s15.postimg.org...

http://ep.imgci.com...

http://s24.postimg.org...

http://cdn.caughtoffside.com...

http://s2.postimg.org...
"La, la, la. Whatever. La, la, la. It doesn't matter. La, la, la. Oh well. La, la, la..."
Mr_Eno_Otu
Posts: 118
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 5:29:42 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/17/2015 4:51:38 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
no

Any supporting arguments?

Some women's tennis players have a net worth of $100 million or so. Why don't WNBA players have net worths like that?
"La, la, la. Whatever. La, la, la. It doesn't matter. La, la, la. Oh well. La, la, la..."
birdlandmemories
Posts: 4,141
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 11:16:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/17/2015 5:29:42 AM, Mr_Eno_Otu wrote:
At 5/17/2015 4:51:38 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
no

Any supporting arguments?

Some women's tennis players have a net worth of $100 million or so. Why don't WNBA players have net worths like that?

Viewership numbers are low. As is the quality of basketball. Also the WNBA has not been along nearly as long as the NBA has, so there's not much history to it.
Ashton
Mr_Eno_Otu
Posts: 118
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 11:34:21 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Viewership numbers are low. As is the quality of basketball. Also the WNBA has not been along nearly as long as the NBA has, so there's not much history to it.

Women's tennis is not the same as men's tennis either, but the women's tennis players are very watched and very loved in mass culture. I think their beauty draws people to the sport and people actually becomes real fans. That's what happened with me.

That could happen with the WNBA too I think...
"La, la, la. Whatever. La, la, la. It doesn't matter. La, la, la. Oh well. La, la, la..."
Mr_Eno_Otu
Posts: 118
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 11:35:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Viewership numbers are low. As is the quality of basketball. Also the WNBA has not been along nearly as long as the NBA has, so there's not much history to it.

(EDIT)

Women's tennis is not the same as men's tennis either, but the women's tennis players are very watched and very loved in mass culture. I think their beauty draws people to the sport and people actually become real fans. That's what happened with me.

That could happen with the WNBA too I think...
"La, la, la. Whatever. La, la, la. It doesn't matter. La, la, la. Oh well. La, la, la..."
Mr_Eno_Otu
Posts: 118
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 11:38:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Viewership numbers are low. As is the quality of basketball. Also the WNBA has not been along nearly as long as the NBA has, so there's not much history to it.

My computer seems to be malfunctioning...hopefully this will be the last edit for this:

Women's tennis is not the same as men's tennis either, but the women's tennis players are very watched and very loved in mass culture. I think their beauty draws people to the sport and people become real fans. That's what happened with me.

That could happen with the WNBA too I think...
"La, la, la. Whatever. La, la, la. It doesn't matter. La, la, la. Oh well. La, la, la..."
birdlandmemories
Posts: 4,141
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 12:22:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/17/2015 11:34:21 AM, Mr_Eno_Otu wrote:
Viewership numbers are low. As is the quality of basketball. Also the WNBA has not been along nearly as long as the NBA has, so there's not much history to it.

Women's tennis is not the same as men's tennis either, but the women's tennis players are very watched and very loved in mass culture. I think their beauty draws people to the sport and people actually becomes real fans. That's what happened with me.

That could happen with the WNBA too I think...

Well we must remember Billie Jean King made women's tennis popular. And the battle of the sexes (despite if it was rigged or not) also grew women's tennis. I think the WNBA needs that one major star and that one major event for the sport to grow.

The fact that the WNBA has games on ESPN and ABC is major progress leads to more national exposure, but remember that women's tennis is also able to compete in the 4 major grand slams just like the men. The WNBA isn't front-page news like the NBA is, and it is doesn't receive the hype or the sponsorship the NBA or women's tennis does. Women's tennis is also more popular because of the global popularity of the sport. The tournaments are played all over the world on many different continents.

A high majority of the athletes in women's basketball are from America, which means that not may people worldwide will be interested. The reason the men's game receives a lot of attention worldwide is because so many players are from international backgrounds.
Ashton
Mr_Eno_Otu
Posts: 118
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 1:24:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The fact that the WNBA has games on ESPN and ABC is major progress leads to more national exposure, but remember that women's tennis is also able to compete in the 4 major grand slams just like the men. The WNBA isn't front-page news like the NBA is, and it is doesn't receive the hype or the sponsorship the NBA or women's tennis does. Women's tennis is also more popular because of the global popularity of the sport. The tournaments are played all over the world on many different continents.

A high majority of the athletes in women's basketball are from America, which means that not may people worldwide will be interested. The reason the men's game receives a lot of attention worldwide is because so many players are from international backgrounds.

I disagree...people like Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, etc. are worldwide celebs because of the excellence that they portrayed in their sport...and a spectator sporting competition is about entertaining...uniforms like the pro. women's tennis uniforms would draw attention and people would become real fans I think.

The 70's when the Battle of the Sexes was played was a time of sexual revolution in America and throughout the world if America sets the standards for the world...if women's tennis increased in popularity in the 70's that may have been due to changes in peoples views about sex and enjoying sexuality.
"La, la, la. Whatever. La, la, la. It doesn't matter. La, la, la. Oh well. La, la, la..."
ford_prefect
Posts: 4,143
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 10:08:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
No, it wouldn't. Most WNBA players are not conventionally attractive in the way that female tennis players are.
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 10:14:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
No. Professional women's basketball lacks an audience because, on balance, it is of lower quality than one could get in a men's high school game. I don't think uniform changes could make up for that - it might be a bit rude to say, but I don't think most men would find the average WNBA player attractive regardless of uniform.
lannan13
Posts: 23,111
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 2:18:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/16/2015 8:05:22 PM, Mr_Eno_Otu wrote:
...their players uniforms resembled the uniforms of professional women's tennis players? Women's tennis players Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova have a reported combined net worth of $220 million. Would WNBA basketball players be as popular you think in mass culture if their uniforms looked like these (some pics of Ms. Williams and Ms. Sharapova on court; remember these are shots of them in live professional tennis matches:)

http://s15.postimg.org...

http://ep.imgci.com...

http://s24.postimg.org...

http://cdn.caughtoffside.com...

http://s2.postimg.org...

Maybe a small incline of viewings, but not a lot.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 4:36:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/16/2015 8:05:22 PM, Mr_Eno_Otu wrote:
...their players uniforms resembled the uniforms of professional women's tennis players? Women's tennis players Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova have a reported combined net worth of $220 million. Would WNBA basketball players be as popular you think in mass culture if their uniforms looked like these (some pics of Ms. Williams and Ms. Sharapova on court; remember these are shots of them in live professional tennis matches:)

http://s15.postimg.org...

http://ep.imgci.com...

http://s24.postimg.org...

http://cdn.caughtoffside.com...

http://s2.postimg.org...

I cannot believe the WNBA is still around. It's more boring than watching paint dry.

Nobody goes to the games except other female basketball players or former ones; lesbians; and friends and families of the players and team officials. How the hell do they stay in business?

Oh..that's right: because the NBA funds them every year. Without their support, the WNBA woulda gone kaput a decade ago.

I am not so sure I would want to see those players in short skirts. Ew. Most of them are way too butch for my tastes.

Ew, again.

NOW...remember the old Lingerie Football League? The LFL. That was awesome. Hot babes. Girl on girl contact. The lesbos loved it. So did the bi-curious women. A shame it folded. Why couldn't the NFL have funded them?
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Mr_Eno_Otu
Posts: 118
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 5:35:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Well I'm a sucker for a nice butt and attractive legs lol...if I could see some of this I would probably watch lol:

http://s15.postimg.org...

http://ep.imgci.com...

http://s24.postimg.org...

http://cdn.caughtoffside.com...

http://s2.postimg.org...
"La, la, la. Whatever. La, la, la. It doesn't matter. La, la, la. Oh well. La, la, la..."
Sooner
Posts: 1,012
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 5:25:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
**Have them play in a casino like atmosphere if applicable in their city.**
I've watched the Tulsa Shock(WNBA team) play several times. They play at the BOK Center which holds 18,000+ people. They are not going to get crowds anywhere near the capacity, not even close. So even if they have a decent crowd that particular night, the place looks empty. This takes away from the atmosphere and the excitment.
The Hardrock Hotel and Casino is right there in Tulsa. So, set up a multi purpose type area as a part of the casino. The bottom stands would be fully in the gym area. The top level stands would start in the gym area and run into the casino at the top. The bottom so many stands would be theatre style seating(pretty standard) This would be for your more interactive fans. The upper level stands would have a tiered, bar style seating. There would be a screen in front of you for playing electronic gambling games. Have an option for betting on the WNBA game happening in front of you on the screen.(If legal at that casino). It might keep people interested in the game more if they had a stake in it. There would be an area in the middle big enough for basketball games, concerts, seminars, etc. If a lot of people had bet on the game, and it was close coming down to the end, you might wind up with tons of live spectators hanging out at the casino area that runs into the seating up top rooting like maniacs.
Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 8:47:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/16/2015 8:05:22 PM, Mr_Eno_Otu wrote:
...their players uniforms resembled the uniforms of professional women's tennis players? Women's tennis players Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova have a reported combined net worth of $220 million. Would WNBA basketball players be as popular you think in mass culture if their uniforms looked like these (some pics of Ms. Williams and Ms. Sharapova on court; remember these are shots of them in live professional tennis matches:)

http://s15.postimg.org...

http://ep.imgci.com...

http://s24.postimg.org...

http://cdn.caughtoffside.com...

http://s2.postimg.org...

Sharapova is indeed a hottie. But Serena? Ewww. I can hardly stand to look at her--let alone with less clothes on. Waaaay too butch for my tastes, amigo.

That said, watching WNBA is like watching paint dry. Maybe more boring. I love the NBA but women's basketball is watched only by: friends and family of the players; other women's b-ball players; and dykes.

The WNBA will never become more popular. And it would have folded along time ago if not for the fact that the NBA funds them.

Now...for hot women in sports, I miss the old Lingerie Football League. That was sweet!
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 8:50:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Here's some pics from the old LFL.

Tell me these women aren't the hottest female athletes you have ever seen.

https://www.google.com...
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 2:50:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/15/2015 8:50:43 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Here's some pics from the old LFL.

Tell me these women aren't the hottest female athletes you have ever seen.

In order to truthfully judge, these females would have to be offered a make up removal pack and use it to remove all that cruddy stuff on their face(lipstick, eye liner, eye shadow, mascara, foundation, concealer, etc). Until that happens, any one who can properly apply makeup can look like a million bucks(with some notable exceptions).

https://www.google.com...
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 3:13:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/17/2015 2:50:55 AM, SamStevens wrote:
At 7/15/2015 8:50:43 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Here's some pics from the old LFL.

Tell me these women aren't the hottest female athletes you have ever seen.

In order to truthfully judge, these females would have to be offered a make up removal pack and use it to remove all that cruddy stuff on their face(lipstick, eye liner, eye shadow, mascara, foundation, concealer, etc). Until that happens, any one who can properly apply makeup can look like a million bucks(with some notable exceptions).

https://www.google.com...

I disagree.

Those bodies are some of the best I have ever seen, man! Some are perfect.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 3:16:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/18/2015 3:13:11 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 7/17/2015 2:50:55 AM, SamStevens wrote:
At 7/15/2015 8:50:43 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Here's some pics from the old LFL.

Tell me these women aren't the hottest female athletes you have ever seen.

In order to truthfully judge, these females would have to be offered a make up removal pack and use it to remove all that cruddy stuff on their face(lipstick, eye liner, eye shadow, mascara, foundation, concealer, etc). Until that happens, any one who can properly apply makeup can look like a million bucks(with some notable exceptions).

https://www.google.com...

I disagree.

Those bodies are some of the best I have ever seen, man! Some are perfect.

Push up bras? Plastic surgery? Some are good though.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."