Jump to topic:

On the Patriots

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 2:20:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm not a football guy. At most I'm a baseball guy, but even then I like old-timey stuff way more than current stuff.

Ignoring, for the moment, the overuse of the phrase "-gate" to indicate scandal, this is a list of Patriot cheating controversies:

http://www.cbsnews.com...

Is there any other NFL team with problems this bad in recent history? Is there a reason that Belicheck is still allowed to coach?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 3:09:12 PM
At 5/29/2015 2:20:08 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
I'm not a football guy. At most I'm a baseball guy, but even then I like old-timey stuff way more than current stuff.

Ignoring, for the moment, the overuse of the phrase "-gate" to indicate scandal, this is a list of Patriot cheating controversies:

Is there any other NFL team with problems this bad in recent history? Is there a reason that Belicheck is still allowed to coach?

There are four on that list, and two of them are completely bogus. The tuck rule was simply a call that the refs made when Charles Woodson tried sacking Tom Brady, maybe it shouldn't have IDEALLY went that way and that's why they made a rule about it afterwards. It could have happened to anybody. The deception gate was a little distasteful perhaps, in that it was purposeful at least, but it was a legal formation at the time and given the level of competition in the NFL it's hard to accuse somebody of being to competitive within the limits of the rules.

Spy-gate was the really bad one IMO, they were spying and that was definitely wrong. Deflate-gate was bad mostly because it rode on the heels of spy-gate, and if it were the cleveland browns who got caught it would have been a minor headline - and certainly no "-gate."

The Pats have two legitimate scandals, and it's their overwhelming success since the turn of the century that fuels the animosity towards them much more than illegitimate playing.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 3:11:58 PM
At 5/29/2015 3:09:12 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

There are four on that list, and two of them are completely bogus. The tuck rule was simply a call that the refs made when Charles Woodson tried sacking Tom Brady, maybe it shouldn't have IDEALLY went that way and that's why they made a rule about it afterwards. It could have happened to anybody. The deception gate was a little distasteful perhaps, in that it was purposeful at least, but it was a legal formation at the time and given the level of competition in the NFL it's hard to accuse somebody of being to competitive within the limits of the rules.

Spy-gate was the really bad one IMO, they were spying and that was definitely wrong. Deflate-gate was bad mostly because it rode on the heels of spy-gate, and if it were the cleveland browns who got caught it would have been a minor headline - and certainly no "-gate."

The Pats have two legitimate scandals, and it's their overwhelming success since the turn of the century that fuels the animosity towards them much more than illegitimate playing.

It's just strange to me. "Betting on NFL? Full season suspensions on a presumption that cheating may have been involved. Actual demonstrated cheating? Maybe a fine, I guess...."
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 6:49:56 PM

Belichek should be banned from football for life.

Whose to say that having nicely soft and slightly deflated footballs did not help Brady with his accuracy? And thus account as factors in many wins?

Also..I believe you underrate the egregious wrongness of the tuck call.

I admit..I am a Raiders fan, so I may be a bit biased. But man...I have been watching football (played in high school) for 25 years and have never BEFORE OR SINCE heard that rule called. Or heard of it! Did you? I a m guessing not.

That negation of the fumble and the sack was basically a "do over" for the Pats. It cost Oakland the game. I submit that it was a bad as the USA-Soviet Olympic basketball game fiasco back in the 70s when the refs kept re=starting the clock and giving the USSR a chance to win the game in the final seconds, after they had already lost it.

The tuck was a criminal, terrible, "do-over."

Shame on those refs.

Shame on the Pats.

Disband 'em. Ban Belichek.

Make Brady play for the Raiders. LOL
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
CookieMonster9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 2:34:45 PM
At 6/3/2015 6:49:56 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Whose to say that having nicely soft and slightly deflated footballs did not help Brady with his accuracy? And thus account as factors in many wins?

I admit..I am a Raiders fan, so I may be a bit biased. But man...I have been watching football (played in high school) for 25 years and have never BEFORE OR SINCE heard that rule called. Or heard of it! Did you? I a m guessing not.

That negation of the fumble and the sack was basically a "do over" for the Pats. It cost Oakland the game. I submit that it was a bad as the USA-Soviet Olympic basketball game fiasco back in the 70s when the refs kept re=starting the clock and giving the USSR a chance to win the game in the final seconds, after they had already lost it.

Shame on those refs.

Shame on the Pats.

My gosh come on have some mercy for Brady.... not the Raiders.
Hello everybody having a good day? I just wanted to let you know that there is a new type of game called "What would you do?" where I post scenarios and you put down what you would do. To get in on this go to http://www.debate.org... , read the rules, and put in your answer!

I'm not here to start an argument, I'm just here so I can gain more knowledge about the world and feed my mind knowledge that you can't really get as much as you wish you could in life. -CM
ButterCatX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 2:53:29 PM
At 5/29/2015 3:11:58 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

It's just strange to me. "Betting on NFL? Full season suspensions on a presumption that cheating may have been involved. Actual demonstrated cheating? Maybe a fine, I guess...."

In the inflate-agate there has been a lot of science to prove that there were any number of reasons that the pressure was so low (humidity, air pressure outside of the ball, temperature[both when inflated and when played], a small leak, etc) If it was such a problem then why did the Ref(who touched it between every play) not detect that it was low while a player who barely touches the ball discovered it, that seems likely. If the lower pressure was such an advantage then why did the pats score more points after the ball was removed from play? I have brought information to the table that the media conveniently forgot.
I bet fanfics are already being posted on random blogs about us.-Vaarka

Butters preformed his duty to the town and died with honor, he helped us kill scum, so we know have to go and make sure his death wasn't in vain and win this game for him.-lannan13

All hail the great and mighty Butters, who died for our inactive cause.-Vaarka

fuckith offith, lol.-Ore(talking to me)

And guess what happened to FT? He got raped to death.-Xlav

You are so obviously town I love you man.-VOT
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 3:13:29 PM
At 6/9/2015 2:53:29 PM, ButterCatX wrote:

In the inflate-agate there has been a lot of science to prove that there were any number of reasons that the pressure was so low (humidity, air pressure outside of the ball, temperature[both when inflated and when played], a small leak, etc) If it was such a problem then why did the Ref(who touched it between every play) not detect that it was low while a player who barely touches the ball discovered it, that seems likely. If the lower pressure was such an advantage then why did the pats score more points after the ball was removed from play? I have brought information to the table that the media conveniently forgot.

How effective the cheating was at getting a real benefit doesn't really affect how bad it is.

If you steal the answers to a test, and it turns out that it's the answers to part of the test, you still cheated, even if it wasn't as "effective" as you'd hoped.
ButterCatX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 3:34:12 PM
At 6/9/2015 3:13:29 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

How effective the cheating was at getting a real benefit doesn't really affect how bad it is.

If you steal the answers to a test, and it turns out that it's the answers to part of the test, you still cheated, even if it wasn't as "effective" as you'd hoped.

That is true, but I have also shown the science behind why it is not their fault

Butters preformed his duty to the town and died with honor, he helped us kill scum, so we know have to go and make sure his death wasn't in vain and win this game for him.-lannan13

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 4:42:15 PM
At 6/9/2015 3:34:12 PM, ButterCatX wrote:

That is true, but I have also shown the science behind why it is not their fault

You didn't really show any science demonstrating that it's not their fault. You proposed a couple of ways it might not be their fault, but the findings were pretty damning. That it could have POSSIBLY happened in another way is rather irrelevant given the information we have. The NFL standard of "more probable than not" was seemingly well-met.
ButterCatX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 7:11:38 AM
At 6/9/2015 4:42:15 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

You didn't really show any science demonstrating that it's not their fault. You proposed a couple of ways it might not be their fault, but the findings were pretty damning. That it could have POSSIBLY happened in another way is rather irrelevant given the information we have. The NFL standard of "more probable than not" was seemingly well-met.

The more probable ways were the ones that I have shown. And the scientists that said it was the patriots fault repealed their findings soon after because it was false.

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 2:50:24 PM
At 6/11/2015 7:11:38 AM, ButterCatX wrote:
At 6/9/2015 4:42:15 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

The more probable ways were the ones that I have shown. And the scientists that said it was the patriots fault repealed their findings soon after because it was false.

I'd like to see that "repeal". Has the NFL agreed? And, for the record, you didn't "show" any. You mentioned some. Quite different.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 1:19:43 PM
At 6/9/2015 2:34:45 PM, CookieMonster9 wrote:

Shame on those refs.

Shame on the Pats.

Hell no! LOL

As a long-suffering Raiders fan, I can tell you that the Raiders are in far more need of mercy than Mr. Brady.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
CookieMonster9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 7:53:45 PM
At 6/13/2015 1:19:43 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/9/2015 2:34:45 PM, CookieMonster9 wrote:

Shame on those refs.

Shame on the Pats.

Hell no! LOL

As a long-suffering Raiders fan, I can tell you that the Raiders are in far more need of mercy than Mr. Brady.

Yeah your right on that one.
Hello everybody having a good day? I just wanted to let you know that there is a new type of game called "What would you do?" where I post scenarios and you put down what you would do. To get in on this go to http://www.debate.org... , read the rules, and put in your answer!

I'm not here to start an argument, I'm just here so I can gain more knowledge about the world and feed my mind knowledge that you can't really get as much as you wish you could in life. -CM
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 4:16:30 AM
If the patriots didn't cheat so much, they wouldn't have so many Super Bowl rings in recent history, one of which should rightfully go to The Carolina Panters
SportsTalkWestborough
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2015 8:57:16 AM
Ever jaywalked? It's illegal but everyone does it, and admits to doing it. Aaron Rodgers overinflated footballs. The entire thing is, pure jealousy. The Colts were pissed because they found that the Patriots deflated footballs when they were blowing Indy out of the water. The Ravens were jealous because Bellichick outsmarted their defense and made them look like fools with Edelman's pass and Hooman's pass over the middle. That's it. The Patriots are a great dynasty and only petty excuses from teams like the Colts will bring them down off the field. On the field, no chance.
Challenge me to a debate,
Tex
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2015 10:01:41 AM
At 7/25/2015 8:57:16 AM, SportsTalkWestborough wrote:
Ever jaywalked? It's illegal but everyone does it, and admits to doing it. Aaron Rodgers overinflated footballs. The entire thing is, pure jealousy. The Colts were pissed because they found that the Patriots deflated footballs when they were blowing Indy out of the water. The Ravens were jealous because Bellichick outsmarted their defense and made them look like fools with Edelman's pass and Hooman's pass over the middle. That's it. The Patriots are a great dynasty and only petty excuses from teams like the Colts will bring them down off the field. On the field, no chance.

I agree, except I think it has more to do with the NFL trying to create off-season headlines. It's almost as if the NFL is actually benefiting from this debacle. Jersey sales are up, more people are talking about the sport, basically all that then NFL wants is happening.
Ashton