I hate soccer.

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 2:59:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I admit it: I hate soccer.

Granted, the reason I hate soccer isn't directly tied to the sport. No, the reason I hate soccer stems from its slow takeover of many fields across the country. And from the insistence of some to call it "football". Lo sok, we've already got a football. Most other countries ignore our football, and that's fine; it's a watered-down Rugby anyway. But Soccer. Man.

When I was still young, in my early twenties, I went back to my old home town, and the park that had been near my house. And saw what soccer had done to the baseball field. It wasn't just that it had taken over the field--that's bad enough, because baseball is awesome, and soccer sucks. No, it's also that the field had been ruined for baseball...but was also a crappy soccer field. They did a poor job seeding the infield, so that it wasn't a real diamond any more, but it certainly wasn't a real soccer field. The paint was likewise poorly done, badly painted and not maintained. And they'd left the backstop, the damaged backstop whose chain-link had fallen into disrepair. Soccer fields don't need backstops. And nobody needs a busted backstop.

So I hate soccer because of that. I'm biased--I admit it. But seriously: It's very hard and yet somehow incredibly boring. Plus, it's apparently SUPER corrupt.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 3:44:41 PM
At 6/2/2015 2:59:05 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Granted, the reason I hate soccer isn't directly tied to the sport. No, the reason I hate soccer stems from its slow takeover of many fields across the country. And from the insistence of some to call it "football". Lo sok, we've already got a football. Most other countries ignore our football, and that's fine; it's a watered-down Rugby anyway. But Soccer. Man.

When I was still young, in my early twenties, I went back to my old home town, and the park that had been near my house. And saw what soccer had done to the baseball field. It wasn't just that it had taken over the field--that's bad enough, because baseball is awesome, and soccer sucks. No, it's also that the field had been ruined for baseball...but was also a crappy soccer field. They did a poor job seeding the infield, so that it wasn't a real diamond any more, but it certainly wasn't a real soccer field. The paint was likewise poorly done, badly painted and not maintained. And they'd left the backstop, the damaged backstop whose chain-link had fallen into disrepair. Soccer fields don't need backstops. And nobody needs a busted backstop.

So I hate soccer because of that. I'm biased--I admit it. But seriously: It's very hard and yet somehow incredibly boring. Plus, it's apparently SUPER corrupt.

I hate sports in general.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 6:21:55 PM

Every sport has at least some form of corruption. If the DoJ would look closer into how the NFL is run I'm sure they'd find some corrupt and illegal activity.
Ashton
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 6:29:24 PM
At 6/2/2015 6:21:55 PM, birdlandmemories wrote:

Every sport has at least some form of corruption. If the DoJ would look closer into how the NFL is run I'm sure they'd find some corrupt and illegal activity.

You honestly think it'll be on par with FIFA? I don't. The US government actually tends to look hard at organized sports for illegal corruption of the sort that's been FIFA's problem lately, but most of the big ones are almost exclusively domestic. Soccer is such an international sport that they didn't look too close...until they did.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 6:39:20 PM
At 6/2/2015 6:29:24 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 6/2/2015 6:21:55 PM, birdlandmemories wrote:

You honestly think it'll be on par with FIFA? I don't. The US government actually tends to look hard at organized sports for illegal corruption of the sort that's been FIFA's problem lately, but most of the big ones are almost exclusively domestic. Soccer is such an international sport that they didn't look too close...until they did.

It may not be the same level as FIFA, but it's certainly higher than any of the other american leagues. The handling of situations like Deflate-gate, the Ray Rice situation, and the inconsistencies with the drug suspensions were also poor.

And the list of stuff the NFL wants host cities to do before hosting the super bowl is ridiculous: http://www.startribune.com...
Ashton
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 6:43:07 PM
Well. yeah...soccer is gaining in popularity in the USA because it kinda goes along with our increasing obsession with political correctness and entitlelment and equal opportunity.

Here's how........

So...your kid......Isn't big enough or tough enough for football?

He or she can play soccer!

Does not have the hand-eye coordination or quickness for baseball?

He can play soccer?

Not athletic enough or tall enough for basketball?

He can play soccer?

Not tough enough or aggressive enough for martial arts?

He can play soccer!

Not coordinated enough for Gymnastics?

He can play soccer!

Not tough enough for ice hockey?

He can play soccer!

Is a girl?

She can play soccer!

Anyone Can! Even people with no arms!

LOL.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.