Jump to topic:

Competitive Swimming

awesomeAlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 8:23:32 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Swimming is one of the most difficult sports in the world. Does anyone disagree with that statement or go as far as saying swimming is not a sport?
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 8:52:58 AM
I will agree that it is one of the most difficult sports, but not the most difficult.

I would put MMA and distance running ahead of it.

And yes, it is a sport.
When Reach fell, I came.
awesomeAlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 9:05:57 AM
I dont know enough about, nor have I tried, MMA to give an accurate difficulty of it in comparison to swimming. I strongly disagree that distance running is a more difficult sport than swimming. By distance you mean marathons, correct? Or do you mean any where between a 5k and a marathon?
awesomeAlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 12:54:52 PM
How good were you? I am a swimmer which is why I brought up this topic and it seems most people don't understand the difficulty of the sport. I can give details of the intesity of being a part of a high school, or club team. At the college level and olympic level the intesity increases dramatically.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 12:55:45 PM
At 8/12/2010 12:54:52 PM, awesomeAlan wrote:
How good were you? I am a swimmer which is why I brought up this topic and it seems most people don't understand the difficulty of the sport. I can give details of the intesity of being a part of a high school, or club team. At the college level and olympic level the intesity increases dramatically.

Oh, I wasn't very good at all really and I had to quit before I got to participate in any actual tournaments.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 12:57:16 PM
At 8/12/2010 8:52:58 AM, theitalianstallion wrote:
I will agree that it is one of the most difficult sports, but not the most difficult.

I would put MMA and distance running ahead of it.

And yes, it is a sport.

not that i've ever done either competitively, but swimming seems to take more athleticism than distance running, at least in my experience.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 1:24:27 PM
At 8/12/2010 8:23:32 AM, awesomeAlan wrote:
Swimming is one of the most difficult sports in the world. Does anyone disagree with that statement or go as far as saying swimming is not a sport?

it's not that difficult. you just have to be used to it. it's the same with every sport.
signature
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2010 3:30:31 PM
At 8/12/2010 8:23:32 AM, awesomeAlan wrote:

Swimming is the activity with thee most physical gain, so yes swimming fits the definition of a sport
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 9:32:37 AM
At 8/12/2010 1:01:15 PM, awesomeAlan wrote:
Why would you put distance running ahead of swimming in difficulty level?

When I said distance running I meant between 10k and marathons.

I put it ahead of swimming for one reason - impact. I have done both swimming and running and find that both require similar levels of physical endurance and strength - swimming focusing more on core and upper body, running on core and lower body. But the strain that is put on the body's joints during distance running is unequaled in most sports.
When Reach fell, I came.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2010 5:30:39 AM
At 8/12/2010 12:54:52 PM, awesomeAlan wrote:
How good were you? I am a swimmer which is why I brought up this topic and it seems most people don't understand the difficulty of the sport. I can give details of the intesity of being a part of a high school, or club team. At the college level and olympic level the intesity increases dramatically.:

Yes, it is very difficult, and you don't need to validate that to anyone. Do what fulfills you.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
awesomeAlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 8:11:46 PM
At 8/16/2010 9:32:37 AM, theitalianstallion wrote:
At 8/12/2010 1:01:15 PM, awesomeAlan wrote:
Why would you put distance running ahead of swimming in difficulty level?

When I said distance running I meant between 10k and marathons.

I put it ahead of swimming for one reason - impact. I have done both swimming and running and find that both require similar levels of physical endurance and strength - swimming focusing more on core and upper body, running on core and lower body. But the strain that is put on the body's joints during distance running is unequaled in most sports.

I agree that running distance events does put a lot of pressure on joints, maybe the most of any sports. When you state that you have done swimming..what exactly do you mean? Like what was the level of swimming? Yes, both swimming and distance running require huge amounts of endurance and a lot of strength.

Swimming requires much more lower body strength than upper body strength, not nearly as much focus on upper body. If you look at an olympic swimmer, you can see that they don't have big pecs or huge biceps. The lower body, when swimming is one of the most necessary aspects of a race. A large part of the race is swam under water, kicking, and the kick propels you forward throughtout the entire race, using most of the oxygen you take in. Swimming also requires much more core strength than running, especially since the high-tech suits have been declared illegal. Just as there is joint pressure in your knees and ankles when running these long distances of a 10k or marathon, swimmers get joint pain in there shoulders and kness. They can also get pain in their hips. The kick of swimming is derived a lot from using your hips, and hip flexors.
k8lnkitchens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 8:51:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I am a three time Georgia State Champion in the 100 freestyle and a nationally ranked swimmer who has competed at US Nationals, so I would say I know quite a bit about swimming. I just find it funny when people say swimming isn't hard. Do you wanna know what time my alarm goes off in the morning? 4:07 AM so I can make it to practice by 5 and then swim for two hours. But that's not even the worst part, after school I am blessed to go swim an additional 2 hours in the afternoon, making my grand total of swimming to 4 hours per day, not only is that more than any other sport, we are also swimming way more milage than any other sport is running. Not only do we put more time in than any other sport, we are also more athletic. When people argue swimming isn't a sport... Do you not remember Michael Phelps being named the greatest athlete in the world?
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 10:19:20 PM
At 8/28/2013 8:51:29 PM, k8lnkitchens wrote:
I am a three time Georgia State Champion in the 100 freestyle and a nationally ranked swimmer who has competed at US Nationals, so I would say I know quite a bit about swimming. I just find it funny when people say swimming isn't hard. Do you wanna know what time my alarm goes off in the morning? 4:07 AM so I can make it to practice by 5 and then swim for two hours. But that's not even the worst part, after school I am blessed to go swim an additional 2 hours in the afternoon, making my grand total of swimming to 4 hours per day, not only is that more than any other sport, we are also swimming way more milage than any other sport is running. Not only do we put more time in than any other sport, we are also more athletic. When people argue swimming isn't a sport... Do you not remember Michael Phelps being named the greatest athlete in the world?

I always wondered why swimming practice for 50 and 100 meter racers is hours upon hours. Is practice just swimming laps or are you doing interval type work that would closer replicate swimming 100 ?
k8lnkitchens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 6:41:51 AM
At 8/28/2013 10:19:20 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 8/28/2013 8:51:29 PM, k8lnkitchens wrote:

I always wondered why swimming practice for 50 and 100 meter racers is hours upon hours. Is practice just swimming laps or are you doing interval type work that would closer replicate swimming 100 ?

We divide into groups depending on our events we do, I am in the sprint group but we still do a lot of yardage. I am a college bound D1 athlete