Jump to topic:

Starting Martial Arts as on adult.

Martley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2015 2:13:40 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I am 38 years old... which means I remember the summer of 1984 when every kid my age saw "The Karate Kid" and rushed to rec centers and dojo's across the country to learn karate. I started in tae kwon do but only lasted about a year in favor of all the other sports I was involved in as a kid. I have always wanted to go back finish what I started.

I recently returned to tae kwon do and hapkido as an adult and I am having a blast. However, I am a 38 year women in a class full of kids. Its ok... the instructors pull me aside in class and train me separate from all the kids and I am advancing faster. I am wondering if there is anyone else (adult) involved in Martial Arts (at any level) that I can talk to. I would love to hear your stories, inspirations and experiences. I am looking to connect with real adults who love the Martial Arts.
A Black Belt is a white belt who never quit.

The best time to do something was 20 years ago.... the second best to do something is now.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 3:29:33 PM
At 6/28/2015 2:13:40 AM, Martley wrote:
I am 38 years old... which means I remember the summer of 1984 when every kid my age saw "The Karate Kid" and rushed to rec centers and dojo's across the country to learn karate. I started in tae kwon do but only lasted about a year in favor of all the other sports I was involved in as a kid. I have always wanted to go back finish what I started.

I recently returned to tae kwon do and hapkido as an adult and I am having a blast. However, I am a 38 year women in a class full of kids. Its ok... the instructors pull me aside in class and train me separate from all the kids and I am advancing faster. I am wondering if there is anyone else (adult) involved in Martial Arts (at any level) that I can talk to. I would love to hear your stories, inspirations and experiences. I am looking to connect with real adults who love the Martial Arts.

Hi Martley!

My name is Drew. I am about the same age as you. I used to teach Krav Maga and still practice it. In fact, what I taught--back when I was a personal trainer for Gold's--was primarily a women's self defense class. (Loved it! Met my ex-wife #2 in it. LOL)

Anyway...I am not sure you would be interested in Krav Maga. It is not exactly a martial art per se, but is rather a form of down-and-dirty "street-fighting" self defense. It was originally developed by the Mossahd, which is the Special Forces guys (Like SEALS) of the Israeli Armed Forces.

So, with KM, there is not so much of the spiritual side that many of the Asian MA's entail. Rather, KM is just a way to learn how to thoroughly hurt somebody who is trying to do you bodily harm.

Do a quickie youtube search and you can check it out. If you like.

As far as other forms of martial arts are concerned? I would have to know your fitness level before I could recommend. Do you work out regularly? Have any pre-existing limitations or injuries. Can you take a fall?

For example, can you: on a mat-covered floor: run several steps and throw yourself down and do a somersault? Or get up quickly from laying on your back on the floor, without using your hands or arms?

Let me know: PM if you like. And I will see if I can help you find a suitable MA.

Take care!
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 3:36:22 PM

Martial Arts can be learned in as quickly as 30 days.......
Martley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 6:52:47 PM
At 6/29/2015 3:29:33 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Hi Martley!

My name is Drew. I am about the same age as you. I used to teach Krav Maga and still practice it. In fact, what I taught--back when I was a personal trainer for Gold's--was primarily a women's self defense class. (Loved it! Met my ex-wife #2 in it. LOL)

Anyway...I am not sure you would be interested in Krav Maga. It is not exactly a martial art per se, but is rather a form of down-and-dirty "street-fighting" self defense. It was originally developed by the Mossahd, which is the Special Forces guys (Like SEALS) of the Israeli Armed Forces.

So, with KM, there is not so much of the spiritual side that many of the Asian MA's entail. Rather, KM is just a way to learn how to thoroughly hurt somebody who is trying to do you bodily harm.

As far as other forms of martial arts are concerned? I would have to know your fitness level before I could recommend. Do you work out regularly? Have any pre-existing limitations or injuries. Can you take a fall?

For example, can you: on a mat-covered floor: run several steps and throw yourself down and do a somersault? Or get up quickly from laying on your back on the floor, without using your hands or arms?

Let me know: PM if you like. And I will see if I can help you find a suitable MA.

Take care!

Thanks for the reply. I have heard of Krav Maga... a gal in my body pump class does it (or did it). I am in excellent shape, I am a triathlete... and I train daily (obviously running, swimming, and cycling with a little cross-training worked in there). I also do body pump 3x a week to build muscle... otherwise I get "twiggy" with all the endurance sport I do as I am naturally tall and thin. Due to bike crashes I have broke a few bones over the years, and I get the occasional RSI common to anyone who regularly trains. I have no ongoing adverse effects from these however.

The best time to do something was 20 years ago.... the second best to do something is now.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 5:58:30 PM
At 6/29/2015 6:52:47 PM, Martley wrote:

Hi Martley!

Take care!

Thanks for the reply. I have heard of Krav Maga... a gal in my body pump class does it (or did it). I am in excellent shape, I am a triathlete... and I train daily (obviously running, swimming, and cycling with a little cross-training worked in there). I also do body pump 3x a week to build muscle... otherwise I get "twiggy" with all the endurance sport I do as I am naturally tall and thin. Due to bike crashes I have broke a few bones over the years, and I get the occasional RSI common to anyone who regularly trains. I have no ongoing adverse effects from these however.

A tri-athlete! Awesome. Good for you.

The only tria-thalons I have done are the "Sprints." But I am a runner--since high school and college. I do a lot of 10K's and 13.1's. But last month I did the Whiskey Row marathon here in Prescott. The course ranges from 5200-7100 ft. It was a butt-kicker.

Ever think about Kendo? it's lots of fun. What's more enjoyable than getting to hit each other with wooden sticks? LOL
Martley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 6:06:29 PM
At 6/30/2015 5:58:30 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Hi Martley!

Take care!

The only tria-thalons I have done are the "Sprints." But I am a runner--since high school and college. I do a lot of 10K's and 13.1's. But last month I did the Whiskey Row marathon here in Prescott. The course ranges from 5200-7100 ft. It was a butt-kicker.

Ever think about Kendo? it's lots of fun. What's more enjoyable than getting to hit each other with wooden sticks? LOL

I always thought kendo was like swords and stuff... i have no real interest in weapons, just high kicking people in the face.

Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 6:13:01 PM
At 6/30/2015 6:06:29 PM, Martley wrote:

Hi Martley!

Take care!

I always thought kendo was like swords and stuff... i have no real interest in weapons, just high kicking people in the face.

Yeah.."kenjitsu" is "The Art of The Sword" in Japanese. "Ken" being "sword."

Alas, we do not get to use real steel Samurai swords in Kendo (bastards!) LOL.
Instead we use these 50-inch long wooden sticks called "bokken." Or a split-bamboo variety called "shinai." And you are well-protected with pads and face masks and such.

You mentiond in your OP about all those kids rushing out to learn Karate after seeing "The Karate Kid." (classic movie, BTW).

With me and Kendo, it was "The Last Samurai." Although I always had an interest in the Samurai history and the Ninjas. (I hear they have Ninja classes these days!)

So..yeah..if yo want to kick people in the face--and who wouldn't? LOL. And you are in excellent shape--as you indeed look as if you are--then, hell, yes..stick with karate.
Martley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 7:38:52 AM
At 6/30/2015 6:13:01 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Hi Martley!

Take care!

Instead we use these 50-inch long wooden sticks called "bokken." Or a split-bamboo variety called "shinai." And you are well-protected with pads and face masks and such.

You mentiond in your OP about all those kids rushing out to learn Karate after seeing "The Karate Kid." (classic movie, BTW).

With me and Kendo, it was "The Last Samurai." Although I always had an interest in the Samurai history and the Ninjas. (I hear they have Ninja classes these days!)

So..yeah..if yo want to kick people in the face--and who wouldn't? LOL. And you are in excellent shape--as you indeed look as if you are--then, hell, yes..stick with karate.

I admit, I own The Last Samurai... not a big Tom Cruze fan but that is a great movie... ok, so thats kendo. Is Kendo all sword training?? No traditional martial arts stuff?? Is that where aikido and judo come in?? I also love Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon... what thats a sword movie too...LOL! Maybe I'm trying to tell myself something here...

Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 12:25:17 PM
At 7/1/2015 7:38:52 AM, Martley wrote:

Hi Martley!

Take care!

I admit, I own The Last Samurai... not a big Tom Cruze fan but that is a great movie... ok, so thats kendo. Is Kendo all sword training?? No traditional martial arts stuff?? Is that where aikido and judo come in?? I also love Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon... what thats a sword movie too...LOL! Maybe I'm trying to tell myself something here...

Hmm...you're a tri-athlete who is in great shape and likes to kick people in the face and owns "The Last Samurai" and also digs those surreal Chinese MA movies with Jet Li, like "Tiger/Dragon."

Will you marry me? LOL.

But seriously--well, sort of--here is a quickie video that will give you a sort of primer on Kendo................https://www.youtube.com...
Martley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 10:46:30 AM
At 7/1/2015 12:25:17 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 7/1/2015 7:38:52 AM, Martley wrote:

Hi Martley!

Take care!

Hmm...you're a tri-athlete who is in great shape and likes to kick people in the face and owns "The Last Samurai" and also digs those surreal Chinese MA movies with Jet Li, like "Tiger/Dragon."

Will you marry me? LOL.

But seriously--well, sort of--here is a quickie video that will give you a sort of primer on Kendo................https://www.youtube.com...

LOL... I have my down sides too....

I watched the video and my immediate thought was that they all looked like Jawas. All I can think of is Jawas.... little black Jawas. I can't seriously dress like a Jawa and fling bamboo... Its like a weird space panda.

philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2015 7:05:46 AM
I envy you both a little. I was obsessed with martial arts when I was a kid. Mostly it was because of watching "Kung Fu" with David Carradine, but all those martial arts movies that came out in the 80's helped, too, like "The Last Dragon." And, of course, Bruce Lee helped. My brother and I took Tae Kwon Do for a year when I was in middle school. I took it again for a few months when I was in highschool along with Hapkido.

In the Navy, I took a couple of classes in Jeet Kune Do and Hapkido. It was about that time the UFC was getting started. After renting the first two VHS tapes and seeing Royce Gracie kick butt, I became obsessed with Brazilian jiu jitsu. After I got out of the navy, I took a class for six months and loved it. I had to quit due to lack of funds. I was in college at the time. I would've kept doing that indefinitely if I could.

Then I moved where there was no Brazilian jiu jitsu, and I've never returned to it, although I grappled with anybody I could find who was willing.

A few years ago, I started doing triathlons. That was a pretty happy time for me. But then my knees started giving me problems, and I couldn't run more than maybe 3 miles without being in a lot of pain. Now, I've got shoulder problems and can't swim. So obviously martial arts is out of the question, too. After two seasons of trying to train for half marathons and triathlons and being unsuccessful due to my various old man pains, I gave up, started drinking Dr. Pepper and eating pizza, and now I'm fat and out of shape. Just yesterday I started biking again, though. So far, the knees are okay.

But I envy y'all. I can't imagine getting back into jiu jitsu now. I'm too fragile.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle