Jump to topic:

The NBA

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 2:14:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I can't bring myself to watch it anymore. I used to watch 100+ games a year (I usually followed 2 or 3 teams) but this year I watched around 20, and next year I don't think I'll watch any unless it's a playoff game for the Spurs. The league is just so bad now, and they're one of the only teams I can stand watching - Popovich's style is just the one of the only ones I like.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 2:19:52 PM
At 7/1/2015 2:14:44 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I can't bring myself to watch it anymore. I used to watch 100+ games a year (I usually followed 2 or 3 teams) but this year I watched around 20, and next year I don't think I'll watch any unless it's a playoff game for the Spurs. The league is just so bad now, and they're one of the only teams I can stand watching - Popovich's style is just the one of the only ones I like.

I'm a die hard fan still. Its not late 90's ball but I am hooked on pro Basketball. Cant kick the habit.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 9:41:18 PM
At 7/1/2015 2:19:52 PM, kasmic wrote:

I'm a die hard fan still. Its not late 90's ball but I am hooked on pro Basketball. Cant kick the habit.

I agree. I have been a devout NBA fan for 25 years. I grew-up in SoCal, so I am a die-hard Lakers fan. I also like the Spurs and the Warriors.

I am not sure what the OP meant when he said the "league is so bad now?" I think there is talent galore. And if he was alluding to the fact that they don't play D anymore, nor play a "team" game--that it's just a "show your stuff--shake and bake- 1 on 1 game, well, that may have been true for much of the late 90s and up until a couple years ago, but I have noticed a new emphasis on passing and old school team ball.

Teams like Atlanta; Golden State; San Antonio; and Memphis move the ball very well!

Some of the white boys from the Easter Europe are a bit slow and boring and sometimes do not seem to know what is going on, but then again some are very hard workers and tough rebounders. So overall I believe the league is in great shape.

Except for my Lakers! LOL
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 12:06:41 AM
At 7/2/2015 9:41:18 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

I agree. I have been a devout NBA fan for 25 years. I grew-up in SoCal, so I am a die-hard Lakers fan. I also like the Spurs and the Warriors.

I am not sure what the OP meant when he said the "league is so bad now?" I think there is talent galore. And if he was alluding to the fact that they don't play D anymore, nor play a "team" game--that it's just a "show your stuff--shake and bake- 1 on 1 game, well, that may have been true for much of the late 90s and up until a couple years ago, but I have noticed a new emphasis on passing and old school team ball.

Teams like Atlanta; Golden State; San Antonio; and Memphis move the ball very well!

Some of the white boys from the Easter Europe are a bit slow and boring and sometimes do not seem to know what is going on, but then again some are very hard workers and tough rebounders. So overall I believe the league is in great shape.

It's actually the slow tough game I like. The game has gotten worse will the change in the way it's played and how big prima donnas most of the players are now.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 6:52:00 PM
At 7/3/2015 12:06:41 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

It's actually the slow tough game I like. The game has gotten worse will the change in the way it's played and how big prima donnas most of the players are now.

Yeah, but the NBA is cracking down of flopping. You can now be penalized for it. Same with the NHL--but they call it "diving." LOL
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 7:08:31 PM
At 7/3/2015 6:52:00 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Yeah, but the NBA is cracking down of flopping. You can now be penalized for it. Same with the NHL--but they call it "diving." LOL

There's still quite a bit of flopping in the NBA, and by comparison NHL players who dive put their team at risk for giving up goals (embellishment is a penalty) and they generally lose respect among teammates and opponents - which can be rather troublesome.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 7:17:45 PM
At 7/3/2015 7:08:31 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

There's still quite a bit of flopping in the NBA, and by comparison NHL players who dive put their team at risk for giving up goals (embellishment is a penalty) and they generally lose respect among teammates and opponents - which can be rather troublesome.

good point! I dare say the NBA guys don't get derided for flopping nearly as much as the hockey players. After all, the NHL is the toughest and meanest pro league in the world! LOL.

Are you a hockey fan? I love it! My favorite game to watch in person, bar none.

But it loses so much on TV!
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 7:19:29 PM
At 7/3/2015 7:17:45 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

good point! I dare say the NBA guys don't get derided for flopping nearly as much as the hockey players. After all, the NHL is the toughest and meanest pro league in the world! LOL.

Yep.

Meh. It's numbers are by no means bad. And as far as I know they're doing better financially than the NBA.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 7:24:45 PM
At 7/3/2015 7:19:29 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 7/3/2015 7:17:45 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Yep.

Meh. It's numbers are by no means bad. And as far as I know they're doing better financially than the NBA.

Sure they are doing better! The players make way less dinero. The lowest average salary of the Big Four pro sports leagues.

And yeah the numbers are always good for hockey, on TV too. Hockey fans are die-hard and will watch it however they can. (Did you know that the NHL has the highest percentage of "percentage of stadium/arena capacity" of ALL sports?