Jump to topic:

FIFA Women's World Cup

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 10:12:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The final in on Sunday, and I just wanted to see who you think will win? Also, who will win the Germany-England match for 3rd place on Saturday?

This final match-up is a rematch of the final of the last Women's World Cup. The USA faces Japan. Last time, Japan won in a penalty shoot-out, but I think that this time, esp. after the USA's amazing and commanding performance over Germany in the semi-final, we look like the stronger team. Japan only barely beat England due to an England own-goal in the last two minutes of play (92nd minute). England appeared ot be the stronger team throughout most of the match.

Currently, the U.S. is the #2 ranked team in the world (Germany is #1, France is #3), and Japan is the #4 team in the world. It should be a good game. England was ranked 6th.

My bet is that the U.S. takes the Championship. I think, despite England's strong showing against Japan, that they will lose to Germany. Japan isn't as good as the Germans, so England will have to work even harder against them. Plus, Germany will have an extra day of rest and England's own-goal has got to be demoralizing.

So, what are your thoughts?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 10:00:30 AM
At 7/1/2015 10:12:20 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Japanese girls are hawt. :P
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 3:48:17 PM
The final in on Sunday, and I just wanted to see who you think will win? Also, who will win the Germany-England match for 3rd place on Saturday?

This final match-up is a rematch of the final of the last Women's World Cup. The USA faces Japan. Last time, Japan won in a penalty shoot-out, but I think that this time, esp. after the USA's amazing and commanding performance over Germany in the semi-final, we look like the stronger team. Japan only barely beat England due to an England own-goal in the last two minutes of play (92nd minute). England appeared ot be the stronger team throughout most of the match.

Currently, the U.S. is the #2 ranked team in the world (Germany is #1, France is #3), and Japan is the #4 team in the world. It should be a good game. England was ranked 6th.

My bet is that the U.S. takes the Championship. I think, despite England's strong showing against Japan, that they will lose to Germany. Japan isn't as good as the Germans, so England will have to work even harder against them. Plus, Germany will have an extra day of rest and England's own-goal has got to be demoralizing.

IMO, the US should have no problems with Japan if we play like we have the last few weeks. The defense is as good as ever, but our strikers finally seem to have adjusted to the turf. We made the right decision moving Abby out as a role player and I'm really liking how Morgan Brian and Kelley O'Hara are playing recently.

I hope England wins the third-place game. I don't dislike Germany, but it's hard not to feel horrible for England after how the last game ended. Would kind of be funny for them to win on July 4th, as well. :P
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 8:53:05 PM
At 7/2/2015 3:48:17 PM, TN05 wrote:

IMO, the US should have no problems with Japan if we play like we have the last few weeks. The defense is as good as ever, but our strikers finally seem to have adjusted to the turf. We made the right decision moving Abby out as a role player and I'm really liking how Morgan Brian and Kelley O'Hara are playing recently.

Agreed.

I hope England wins the third-place game. I don't dislike Germany, but it's hard not to feel horrible for England after how the last game ended. Would kind of be funny for them to win on July 4th, as well. :P

Lol...But, yeah, I definitely sympathize with England, but Sasic and Mittag are just so strong, and Angerer is insanely good.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 8:53:28 PM
At 7/2/2015 10:00:30 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Japanese girls are hawt. :P

Or not.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 10:59:22 PM
At 7/2/2015 9:41:22 PM, birdlandmemories wrote:
At 7/2/2015 9:41:03 PM, birdlandmemories wrote:
Go Japan. US are too arrogant for me to root for.

fix'd

I think that's a bit unfair...I think the U.S. has approached all of our games with confidence, but that's not the same as arrogance.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 9:06:19 AM
At 7/2/2015 10:59:22 PM, bsh1 wrote:

fix'd

I think that's a bit unfair...I think the U.S. has approached all of our games with confidence, but that's not the same as arrogance.

I wouldn't say the team is arrogant, but the fans certainly. From the holocaust jokes against Germany to the atomic bomb jokes against Japan, I think that's going a bit too far.
Ashton
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 2:01:36 PM
At 7/3/2015 9:06:19 AM, birdlandmemories wrote:
At 7/2/2015 10:59:22 PM, bsh1 wrote:

fix'd

I wouldn't say the team is arrogant, but the fans certainly. From the holocaust jokes against Germany to the atomic bomb jokes against Japan, I think that's going a bit too far.

Yeah, that is too far. But you can't blame the team for the idiocy of a few fans.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2015 1:30:01 AM
Just reiterating my prediction for tomorrow: Germany beat England.

While I am less sure of the score, I would say England at least gets 1 goal.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2015 1:31:00 AM
At 7/4/2015 1:30:01 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Just reiterating my prediction for tomorrow: Germany beat England.

About 55% confidence here.

While I am less sure of the score, I would say England at least gets 1 goal.

About 60% confidence here.

=====================================

Clearly, I am not super confident about any of it. It should be a fun game to watch.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 8:43:02 PM
At 7/5/2015 6:06:28 PM, Mirza wrote:
Can't wait for women teams in FIFA 16!

Hey, something you and Americans can agree on! :)
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 8:52:35 PM
At 7/5/2015 8:43:02 PM, TN05 wrote:

Oh yes.

I'll be pwning with the American women's team in the new FIFA game for sure, lol. After seeing the destruction of the Japanese team, I'm sure I'll pull off a few equivalents off myself.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 9:00:18 PM
At 7/5/2015 8:52:35 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 7/5/2015 8:43:02 PM, TN05 wrote:

Oh yes.

I'll be pwning with the American women's team in the new FIFA game for sure, lol. After seeing the destruction of the Japanese team, I'm sure I'll pull off a few equivalents off myself.

Hopefully everyone won't just be playing as the US online. You can't play against the men in it.

That being said, I've never bought a FIFA game, but I'd buy a PS4/Xbone and FIFA just to play as the USWNT.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 9:23:23 PM
At 7/5/2015 9:00:18 PM, TN05 wrote:
Hopefully everyone won't just be playing as the US online. You can't play against the men in it.
I thought one could, didn't even look it up. That's sad. It would be really enjoyable beating up the male teams with a female team.

That being said, I've never bought a FIFA game, but I'd buy a PS4/Xbone and FIFA just to play as the USWNT.
You can buy it on PC and use a PS/Xbox controller. That's what I do.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 9:31:16 PM
At 7/5/2015 9:23:23 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 7/5/2015 9:00:18 PM, TN05 wrote:
I thought one could, didn't even look it up. That's sad. It would be really enjoyable beating up the male teams with a female team.

Yep. Honestly I prefer women's soccer... not nearly as much flopping, plus my country is actually good at it. :P

You can buy it on PC and use a PS/Xbox controller. That's what I do.

I'll have to see if it runs on a MacBook air.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 9:39:37 PM
At 7/5/2015 9:31:16 PM, TN05 wrote:
Yep. Honestly I prefer women's soccer... not nearly as much flopping, plus my country is actually good at it. :P
There's a good prospect for the men's team as well. They've been great recently.

Well, you can always construct a decent gaming PC for the price of a console. Of course, consoles are still great in their own way.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 9:43:43 PM
At 7/5/2015 9:39:37 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 7/5/2015 9:31:16 PM, TN05 wrote:
There's a good prospect for the men's team as well. They've been great recently.

Better, still not great IMO. Our offense is good, but our defense is really, really bad outside of Tim Howard (the fact he had 15 saves and we still lost tells you how bad our defense was last World Cup). We can make it easily to a World Cup round of 16, but once we have to face elite strikers in knockout rounds we falter. We won't become great until our defense gets some fresh talent.

Well, you can always construct a decent gaming PC for the price of a console. Of course, consoles are still great in their own way.

I've always been a console guy, myself, but more in the Nintendo camp.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 10:01:27 PM
At 7/5/2015 9:43:43 PM, TN05 wrote:
Better, still not great IMO. Our offense is good, but our defense is really, really bad outside of Tim Howard (the fact he had 15 saves and we still lost tells you how bad our defense was last World Cup). We can make it easily to a World Cup round of 16, but once we have to face elite strikers in knockout rounds we falter. We won't become great until our defense gets some fresh talent.
Well, I think the future can only bring the better out of you. It seems that more and more people like football in USA, and with such a large population, it will probably only be a matter of time before you reach top level.

I haven't played on a console at home for quite a while, but I prefer certain games at PC, others at console. For instance, strategy games (Anno, Company of Heroes, etc.) are obviously suited for PC; GTA I prefer on console. But, you should definitely try to get into FIFA. I've played it over my life, but very rarely in general; a year ago I bought it, and now I'm really good. And I only destroyed 1 controller during the whole time.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 10:12:49 PM
At 7/5/2015 10:01:27 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 7/5/2015 9:43:43 PM, TN05 wrote:
Well, I think the future can only bring the better out of you. It seems that more and more people like football in USA, and with such a large population, it will probably only be a matter of time before you reach top level.

It's definitely a matter of time. Soccer is really big among younger people here, and many of the earlier generations played it as a child.

I haven't played on a console at home for quite a while, but I prefer certain games at PC, others at console. For instance, strategy games (Anno, Company of Heroes, etc.) are obviously suited for PC; GTA I prefer on console. But, you should definitely try to get into FIFA. I've played it over my life, but very rarely in general; a year ago I bought it, and now I'm really good. And I only destroyed 1 controller during the whole time.

Yeah, even as a casual fan (I really only pay attention whenever the Men's or Women's world cup is on) it looks like a lot of fun. Especially Ultimate Team.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 10:25:08 PM
At 7/5/2015 10:12:49 PM, TN05 wrote:
Yeah, even as a casual fan (I really only pay attention whenever the Men's or Women's world cup is on) it looks like a lot of fun. Especially Ultimate Team.
UT is nice, although most people rely on using players that are physically overpowered, so they make simple moves and score. Use this site in the future to see player stats and create a team concept (plus check prices, etc.): http://www.futhead.com...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 11:28:38 PM
So, clearly my prediction re: Germany-England didn't pan out, but I am glad England won. With that own-goal in semi-finals, England really needed it to boost their spirits.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 11:29:43 PM
And, the USA win--while I predicted it--the scoreline there was a shocker. I really thought it would be a 1 goal differential, not a 3 goal differential. I think that it just took awhile for Japan to settle into the game, and the sunlight was certainly a hindrance to Kaihori.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 11:30:02 PM
But still...

GO USA! WOOT!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics