Jump to topic:

SEC Image Destroyed Can't Fake It Now

Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 10:27:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The somewhat recent string of titles, was no SEC accomplishment. Erase Nick Saban and Urban Meyer's accomplishments, and the SEC's results look like anyone else's. This was an example of either the SEC benefiting imagewise from 2 dominating coaches or 2 coaches manhandling consistantly an SEC that really wasn't much deeper than a few teams. I support the first statement. Urban Meyer went to Ohio State, won another title, and now the Big 10 has gained more respect. But the Big 10 hasn't improved. Ohio State has improved. Urban Meyer's coaching ability doesn't magically make the rest of the Big 10 any better. But the Florida's loss of him did make Florida weaker.
Imagine if Nick Saban had went to USC and Urban Meyer to Oregon. The SEC's recent national title wins would look average at best, and the PAC 12 might possibly be the national title envy of the college football nation.
Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 11:29:46 PM
At 7/18/2015 10:27:05 PM, Sooner wrote:
The somewhat recent string of titles, was no SEC accomplishment. Erase Nick Saban and Urban Meyer's accomplishments, and the SEC's results look like anyone else's. This was an example of either the SEC benefiting imagewise from 2 dominating coaches or 2 coaches manhandling consistantly an SEC that really wasn't much deeper than a few teams. I support the first statement. Urban Meyer went to Ohio State, won another title, and now the Big 10 has gained more respect. But the Big 10 hasn't improved. Ohio State has improved. Urban Meyer's coaching ability doesn't magically make the rest of the Big 10 any better. But the Florida's loss of him did make Florida weaker.
Imagine if Nick Saban had went to USC and Urban Meyer to Oregon. The SEC's recent national title wins would look average at best, and the PAC 12 might possibly be the national title envy of the college football nation.

The only national title win by the SEC I question I'd the 2010 one by Auburn. They were lucky as heck, winning 7 games by a touchdown or less. The others were very convincing, and remember that the SEC had both national championship finalists in 2011.

As for your point about about the SEC looking average at best without Nick Saban and Urban Meyer, I have to politely disagree. I think if Nick Saban left the SEC west that would considerably help some coaches in Les Miles and Bret Beliem, after all schools like Ole Miss, Texas A&M and LSU would still get top-notch recruits

As for USC having a coach like Saban or Meyer, I don't think much would change. USC already gets top notch recruiting classes every year, and that wouldn't change under Saban. What would improve however, is the talent development, since Saban at Alabama has been able to get the max out of his recruits, which many other coaches can't claim.

Having coaches like Saban does help the SEC out, but I don't think if they lost him the conference would be in too much trouble. The coaching depth is impressive and numerous other schools besides Alabama get top notch recruits and have shown success in recent years.
Ashton
AdamEsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 5:08:44 AM
On a serious note though, the coaches help, but the reason the SEC is and will remain superior is because of the fact that high schools down south take football more seriously and therefore develop monster athletes in crucial positions like D Line, Linebacker, RB, etc.