anybody ever try CrossFit?

August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 9:32:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
hello brothers an sisters........
I mentioned it in some past posts I did that I co-own and operate a CrossFit Gym in Central CA. (we call our gyms "boxes" in X-fit. I got into it several years ago when I was training for boxing and always loved it so I was lucky enough to have some funding and open up my own Box here in Santa Cruz. with another guy who used to fight on the UFC circuit. I think CrossFit offers the best fitness program available. and wonderd if anybody here on DDO knows about us? or tried it--or has any questions on it. they're all over the country now, the Boxes. Im not sure Sports is the right Forum for this but it seemed to 'fit." LOL. God Bless.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 9:44:19 PM
At 8/7/2015 9:32:02 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
I mentioned it in some past posts I did that I co-own and operate a CrossFit Gym in Central CA. (we call our gyms "boxes" in X-fit. I got into it several years ago when I was training for boxing and always loved it so I was lucky enough to have some funding and open up my own Box here in Santa Cruz. with another guy who used to fight on the UFC circuit. I think CrossFit offers the best fitness program available. and wonderd if anybody here on DDO knows about us? or tried it--or has any questions on it. they're all over the country now, the Boxes. Im not sure Sports is the right Forum for this but it seemed to 'fit." LOL. God Bless.

No CrossFitters huh? Well, it is pretty intense and not for everybody. a lot of newcomers have gotten hurt trying it, though we try to take ;em through the paces slowly. but there is nothing easy about it. mostly for elite athletes.
JMcKinley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 7:09:18 PM
At 8/10/2015 9:44:19 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

No CrossFitters huh? Well, it is pretty intense and not for everybody. a lot of newcomers have gotten hurt trying it, though we try to take ;em through the paces slowly. but there is nothing easy about it. mostly for elite athletes.

I've looked into crossfit before. I know you can get good results on the program but to be honest the potential for injury keeps me away. I don't have any interest in getting into a yo-yo cycle of injury and recovery. It looks like fun, and I would probably consider doing it every now and then for that reason, but I don't think that its a long-term solution for me.

But then I'm more cautious that many other people because I have dealt with injury problems in the past, and I do not want to go back to that. Now I do a lot of body weight exercise and yoga with some weight training mixed in.

To be honest, I just don't think crossfit lives up to the hype when all things are considered. Sure the rewards are pretty good, but the risk is also quite high. But I haven't tried it yet so my opinion carries limited weight I admit.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 9:02:23 PM
At 8/11/2015 7:09:18 PM, JMcKinley wrote:

I've looked into crossfit before. I know you can get good results on the program but to be honest the potential for injury keeps me away. I don't have any interest in getting into a yo-yo cycle of injury and recovery. It looks like fun, and I would probably consider doing it every now and then for that reason, but I don't think that its a long-term solution for me.

But then I'm more cautious that many other people because I have dealt with injury problems in the past, and I do not want to go back to that. Now I do a lot of body weight exercise and yoga with some weight training mixed in.

To be honest, I just don't think crossfit lives up to the hype when all things are considered. Sure the rewards are pretty good, but the risk is also quite high. But I haven't tried it yet so my opinion carries limited weight I admit.

No you make valid points my friend. but know that we be sure to take beginners thru the paces very slowly at first. with something like the weights on any particular WOD. if like, the WOD "Murphy" calls for 20 thrusters with a 40 lb barbell we will have a beginner or a not specially strong member do it with a bar half that weight. and we always place emphasis on corrrect form, not weight strength. on other words your never asked to go above your limits until you feel comfortable. ANY new sport can cause injury to a beginner if they "come out too fast" or strong. but there;s no doubt that any newbie coming to our box will be in way better shape in a month or two then they would if they just joined a regular gym. this point is beyond dispute.
if you have any questions please ask and thanks for responding. God Bless.
JMcKinley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 1:12:19 PM
At 8/11/2015 9:02:23 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/11/2015 7:09:18 PM, JMcKinley wrote:

No you make valid points my friend. but know that we be sure to take beginners thru the paces very slowly at first. with something like the weights on any particular WOD. if like, the WOD "Murphy" calls for 20 thrusters with a 40 lb barbell we will have a beginner or a not specially strong member do it with a bar half that weight. and we always place emphasis on corrrect form, not weight strength. on other words your never asked to go above your limits until you feel comfortable. ANY new sport can cause injury to a beginner if they "come out too fast" or strong. but there;s no doubt that any newbie coming to our box will be in way better shape in a month or two then they would if they just joined a regular gym. this point is beyond dispute.
if you have any questions please ask and thanks for responding. God Bless.

I certainly agree that its effective. If I did not have my injury history I'd probably be more open to it.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2015 2:53:19 AM
This is my Box and our Website. Feel free to check it out and ask any questions about CrossFit. Or what you can do if you want to get into it. Or even begin your own routine using some of our techniques.
If you scroll down the page to the PowWow pic you'll se me, second from the left. Next year we're moving into a larger and nicer facility. A new box is opening in a couple months too next door in Soquel, just about 20 mins south of us here in Santa Cruz.

Thanks and god Bless.

http://www.crossfitsantacruz.com...
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2015 1:53:15 AM

I did some at Title Boxing in Topeka.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2015 2:29:24 AM
At 8/25/2015 1:53:15 AM, lannan13 wrote:

That;s cool, brother. What weight division? Do you still box or do any other type of M.A? I was a middle-weight, usually around 160 lbs. All I do now is spar here in our Box. I don't box competitively anymore. (I'm almost 38). I love the conditioning of boxing though, and when I'm doing circuit training with the weights I'l break it up by going over and hitting the speed bag or the 70-lb heavy bag, on my toes, moving, for three minutes (I got a egg timer sitting on a shelf by the bags) just so I can keep my heart-rate up.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 2:27:25 AM
So what I might do here is post a WOD every few days or so. If I get any interest here on it.

In CrossFit we call our daily "Workout of the Day" a WOD. There are currently a few dozen of them, and they're all named after women! Like Hurricanes!
Ya got the Cynthia; the Chelsea, etc. (OH. I forgot: there IS one named for a guy, and its a tough one. Called a "Murphy." From an ex-military Captain and elite athlete and one of the first X-Fitters.

Most WOD's consist of three or four different exercises. And you do them in order, as prescribed, in a circuit of rounds, and the goal is to see how fast you can do them. And then to improve your time. For example the one I did today, a pretty easy one. It went like this...........

Run 400 meters.

15 each medicine ball slams. (You grab a bean-bag type medicine ball that doesn't bounce and slam it down on the floor and the pick it up and repeat. 15 times. It weighs about 30 lbs.

15 pull-ups. you can do them underhanded, which is easier, and works more biceps, or the usual overhand grip which is harder. Kipping is allowed in CrossFit. (Bucking your body on the way up, like a kick, to add some upward force!)

Do all this three times. Three rounds. As fast as you can.

My time today......10 minutes and 16 seconds. 10:16.

If you dont have a medicine ball you can substitute anything bout that weight that you can slam down--that you wont break.
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 7:18:52 PM

I am a kid, and could not do a lot of stuff, but I participated in a few WOD's. Its a really great reliever of stress and makes you feel good.
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers

Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 7:19:26 PM
I have also done a Murph before.

Epic Quotes:

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 2:01:25 AM
At 8/30/2015 7:19:26 PM, TheProphett wrote:

Hey Prophett, good to see ya!

Yeah, bro...I love the Murph too; even though its and asss-kicker; I only do it a couple times a month. For all those interested in that but arent famliar, here it is......

Murph"

For time:
1 mile Run
100 Pull-ups
200 Push-ups
300 Squats
1 mile Run

In memory of Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, 29, of Patchogue, N.Y., who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005.

Do you remember what your PR is for the Murph? I think mine is about 1:15 or so. (that's one hour and 15 minutes, and change! LOL)
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 2:06:27 AM

Here's a couple WODs not quite as brutal as the Murph or Fight Gone Bad. Today we did a Cindy. I got seven rounds in 20 mins.

Cindy"
Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
5 Pull-ups
10 Push-ups
15 Squats

OR

"Mary"
5 Handstand Push-ups
10 One legged squats, alternating
15 Pull-ups
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 2:07:43 AM
At 8/31/2015 2:01:25 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Hey Prophett, good to see ya!

Yeah, bro...I love the Murph too; even though its and asss-kicker; I only do it a couple times a month. For all those interested in that but arent famliar, here it is......

Murph"

For time:
1 mile Run
100 Pull-ups
200 Push-ups
300 Squats
1 mile Run

In memory of Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, 29, of Patchogue, N.Y., who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005.

Do you remember what your PR is for the Murph? I think mine is about 1:15 or so. (that's one hour and 15 minutes, and change! LOL)

Mine was cutting it close to an hour, though I substituted my pull-ups with 100 more push-ups, due to my inability XD. Last mile is the hardest one by far, those squats kill your legs.

Epic Quotes:

TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 2:10:53 AM
At 8/31/2015 2:06:27 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Here's a couple WODs not quite as brutal as the Murph or Fight Gone Bad. Today we did a Cindy. I got seven rounds in 20 mins.

Cindy"
5 Pull-ups
10 Push-ups
15 Squats

OR

"Mary"
5 Handstand Push-ups
15 Pull-ups

Thanks! I think I'll do a Cindy around the house tomorrow and share my times.

Epic Quotes:

August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 2:12:33 AM
At 8/31/2015 2:10:53 AM, TheProphett wrote:
At 8/31/2015 2:06:27 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Cindy"
5 Pull-ups
10 Push-ups
15 Squats

OR

"Mary"
5 Handstand Push-ups
15 Pull-ups

Thanks! I think I'll do a Cindy around the house tomorrow and share my times.

YW, Prophh.... yeah, what's good about Cindy is you can "do her" (LOL) anywhere! GL with it; I bet you can do at least 7 rounds!
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 10:20:05 PM
YW, Prophh.... yeah, what's good about Cindy is you can "do her" (LOL) anywhere! GL with it; I bet you can do at least 7 rounds!

Alright I did Cindy, and I got 8 rounds :P. My first four rounds were done in the first 6 minutes, and it got tiring from there. I think I'll do this every day just as a good body-weight exercise.

Epic Quotes:

August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2015 1:25:36 AM
At 8/31/2015 10:20:05 PM, TheProphett wrote:

Alright I did Cindy, and I got 8 rounds :P. My first four rounds were done in the first 6 minutes, and it got tiring from there. I think I'll do this every day just as a good body-weight exercise.

8 rounds is excellent! good job. If you Google "Crossfit WOD's" you can pick some others that you can do at home too. I would gladly give you some here but I dont know what equipment you have and don't have. so it might be easier for you to Google it. Or go to our website. I'm on our Santa Cruz CrossFit page as well. but if you DO want me to give you some here, just tell me what equip you have access to so I can curtail my picks for you to that.

Good job, onward and upward. "Sweat is your fat crying!" LOL
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2015 4:21:00 PM
At 8/25/2015 2:29:24 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/25/2015 1:53:15 AM, lannan13 wrote:

That;s cool, brother. What weight division? Do you still box or do any other type of M.A? I was a middle-weight, usually around 160 lbs. All I do now is spar here in our Box. I don't box competitively anymore. (I'm almost 38). I love the conditioning of boxing though, and when I'm doing circuit training with the weights I'l break it up by going over and hitting the speed bag or the 70-lb heavy bag, on my toes, moving, for three minutes (I got a egg timer sitting on a shelf by the bags) just so I can keep my heart-rate up.

Same (155lb), I used to box, don't do it anymore due to me having moved away from any gyms. I did hold the city title for a bit and when I left I bought a copy of it and I have it hanging in my room next to my wraps with a documentary of my record and champ reigns.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~